Re: [SOUTH-AFRICA] Maudslay BAYNES, explorer and dicoverer of BAYNES Mountains.

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2009
      On 25 Apr 2009 at 9:41, fairygrandma wrote:

      > My grandmother, Madeleine, was an upper-class Londoner raised in an
      > extremely strict Victorian manner. Her elder brother, Maudslay BAYNES was born
      > in 1881 in London, the eldest child of Herbert Morton Walker BAYNES & Isabel
      > JACKSON. Herbert wrote some 265 papers for religious institutions and several
      > extremely highbrow books, also on religion. This is probably why three of
      > their children rebelled, two being banished to South Africa, the third, my
      > Grandmother being forced to marry her lower class lover and never receiving a
      > penny of the amassed fortune. Ah, the upper class and their high morals, would
      > they survive today, I wonder?

      I see that you wrote about this here 10 years ago, but didn't get much

      I looked in Google, but only found a number of articles about a hydroelectric
      project proposed for the Baynes Mountains.

      > Supposedly Maudslay attended one of major colleges but I can find no record of
      > him at Oxford University where he allegedly absconded with funds from the
      > Social Club. I am assured that he merely borrowed the moneys and truly did
      > intend to replace it all before he was caught!!! The social embarressment this
      > caused my Grandmother's family must have been just intolerable because
      > Maudslay was promptly packed off to South Africa "to a relative" to re-adjust
      > his life etc. etc.
      > Maudslay got bored with being a Remission man and started trecking the
      > countryside. He became the first man to map the KUNENE River, from the
      > Ruacana Falls to the Coastal Desert in 1911. The Germans of Zessfontein were
      > so impressed with his feat that they named the great & unknown mountainous
      > range in his honor, hence the BAYNES Mountains can be located on the Kunene
      > River in Namibia.

      That would be a REMITTANCE man, not a remission man. A remission man is one
      who gets let off his prison sentence early.

      > Thanks to a distant relative in London I am able to quote from a magazine
      > story by Randolph Vigne of London who wrote of my Great Uncle when giving his
      > opinion on a book by L.G.Green, "Lords of the Last Frontier" 1952.

      Can you give any details about the article - title, date, name of
      publication? And the gist of what he said?

      I will copy this to the African genealogy forum, since it relates to Namibia
      rather than South Africa, and though Namibia was at one time ruled by South
      Africa, this appears to be before that time. You can find more about the
      Africa genealogy forum at:

      Group Email Addresses
      Related Link: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7783/
      Post message: afgen@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: afgen-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      I find it interesting because my wfte had ancestors who were in what is now
      Namibia, though before this time, so their paths would probably not have
      crossed Maudeslay's.

      Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
      Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727