  • Vicki Spell
    Oct 27, 2008
      Hi!  My name is Vicki and I am new to the group.  I am researching my Canning genealogy.  My grandmother, Edith Margaret Elizabeth Canning was born in Capetown on 7-26-1898.  The birth record I have from St. George's lists her parents as William Francis Canning and Edith Margaret Vickerman Canning living at 8 Nicol St.  I know they travelled a lot between England and South Africa.  These were my grandmother's siblings:
      Thelma Narcissus, b. 3-23-1900, London - stayed in England - Married Victor Lewis/child, Irene
      William Francis, b. 3-23-1902, London* - married Kate ?/children Ruby, Iris...
      Nora Sylvia, b. 1909, Capetown** - married A. Patterson/child, Joan
      George Albert Jenkins, b. 12-1911, Cardiff*** - married Edith ?/children David, Diana
      Helen Elizabeth Rosa, b. 1913
      Clement Charles Alexander Leonard Cavanaugh Canope, b. 11-30-1915, Cardiff**** - married Sally ?/children, Stratford, Barrymore,Clive
      *lived at 99 Kloof St., Capetown in 1971
      **lived in Greytown at some point
      ***lived in Umtata at some point
      ****lived in Capetown at some point
      My great-grandfather was in the Cape Field Artillery and Welsh Horse.  He was mortally wounded at Gallipoli and died 6 mos later on 12-19-1916 at Netley Military Hospital in England.  My great-grandmother died on 10-9-1938, in Capetown, as a result of lightning strike or electrocution. I would love to know where she is buried.
      On the 1901 England census, my great-grandmother lists "South Africa Partel" as her birth location.  I cannot find anything on this location.