262Re: [afgen] Scientists trace group of Afrikaners with Parkinson?s to common ancestor

    Jul 1, 2014
      On 1 Jul 2014 at 17:47, 'rodg' rodg@... [afgen] wrote:

      > Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply, this makes me think of the LEVEY family
      > whose members sometimes a difficiency in the 'S' protien

      There is something similar in relation to porphyria, which also affaects
      Afrikaner families. In this case more specific family history information is
      available, and porphyria was also discussed on the South Africa list a while
      back.

      This article

      http://blogs.women24.com/zelia/2009/10/13/porphyria-in-south-africa/

      gives more family history details, viz:

      The South African variegate porphyria gene PPOX mutation R59W could be traced
      back to Gerrit Jansz (the son of Jan) van Deventer, born in Veldkamp in the
      Netherlands, and to his wife Ariaentje (daughter of Jacob) van Rotterdam (who
      was born in Rotterdam).

      In the 17th century most people did not have surnames but were described as
      the son of, or the daughter of, the father’s first name.

      Gerrit Jansz (the son of Jan) came from Deventer, or rather a suburb of
      Deventer called Veldkamp.

      He was one of the free burghers and came to the Cape in 1685. He was given a
      grant of land in the Stellenbosch district but he did not have a wife. He
      must have come from a good family because his grandfather wrote a history of
      the Dutch-Spanish war.

      Ariaentje Jacobs van Rotterdam, (or Ariaantje Adriaansse or Ariaantje van den
      Berg) father died when she was 5 months and her mother, when she was eight.

      *The spelling of Ariaentje varies in different documents.
      She was admitted to the orphanage ‘Gereformeerd Burgersweeshuis’ in
      Rotterdam, in 1687.

      The director minister Sewentien decided to send eight of his female orphans
      (including Ariaentje and her half-sister Willemijntje) to the Cape to become
      wives of the Dutch settlers. They were sent out on the ship China and arrived
      in the Cape in 1688.

      Four of the female orphans were married within months of their arrival and
      their names are together in the Cape Marriage Register. One of the four was
      Ariaantje

      Ariaantje (the daughter of Jacob) married Gerrit Jansz van Deventer in
      1688, and they and had eight children, of whom four had porphyria. They must
      have inherited porphyria either from Gerrit or from Ariaantje. It is not
      known whether porphyria was brought to South Africa by Gerrit Jansz or his
      wife Ariaantje Jacobs.

      Based on the fact that Hendrik, the son of Willemijntje, the halfsister of
      Ariaantje, also had the porphyria mutation - the carrier was assumed to be
      Ariaentje.

      The details about the parents and grandparents of Gerrit Jansz have been
      found from the archives in Holland and it would have been possible to trace
      the ancestry of Ariaantje, from the orphanage in Rotterdam, if only the
      orphanage records wasn’t destroyed by fire during the bombing of Rotterdam
      in 1940.

      A cluster of porphyria was also identified in a community southeast of
      Portland, Oregon (Robert Vlietinck, unpublished results).
      These people were descended from seven founders who all emigrated to the
      United States in the middle of the 19th century.
      They were endogamous to keep the farming land in the families.
      Their ancestry could be traced back to the province of North-Brabant, not far
      away from the village Veldkamp, where Gerrit Jansz van Deventer was born.

      Porphyria Variegate is so ‘common’ in South Africa because one of the early
      settlers happened by chance to have brought the porphyric gene from Holland
      and descendants multiplied rapidly.

      It appears that the thousands who have inherited porphyria variegate in South
      Africa are members of this one huge family.

      Those who have inherited Variegate Porphyria seem to be more emotional than
      average and if it wasn’t for modern medicine, porphyria would have done
      little harm…

      Modern medicine, BARBITURATES, SULPHONAMIDES especially and PENTOTHAL are to
      be absolutely AVOIDED at all costs!!!

      Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
      Phone: 083-342-3563 or 012-333-6727
      Fax: 086-548-2525