[aestesis] Re: VJ programs

  • Ant Brooks
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 12, 1998
      james bell wrote:

      > > know any other VJ softwares? -Masayuki Kodaira
      > >>I'm very ionterrested to know what are the soft you, VJ's, are using
      > >>during your shows...Tell it on the list, and I will add it to the
      > >>FAQ provided with the doc I made for aestesis (to come very soon in
      > >>PDF format) -Vincent
      >
      > I'm starting a VJ dedicated site in the near future. Some programs
      > I have are listed below.

      <impressive list snipped>

      James, do you have all the eye-candy from the Hyperreal
      tool shed (http://www.hyperreal.org/tools/) and TOUECCANS
      (http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/5843/index.html)
      on your list? Both are good sources of VJ software.

      Also, I'm still waiting to hear if anyone on this list
      (other than renan ;) has a 3dfx card that is working
      correctly with Aestesis. I desparately want to buy a
      new card, but I want to make sure it'll work with
      Aestesis first. Any suggestions/hints?

      Ant.

      --
      /=================================================\
      | ant@... | ICQ 417614 | +27 83 326 3933 |

    • Germain MASSE
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 12, 1998
        Ant Brooks a �crit:

        > Also, I'm still waiting to hear if anyone on this list
        > (other than renan ;) has a 3dfx card that is working
        > correctly with Aestesis. I desparately want to buy a
        > new card, but I want to make sure it'll work with
        > Aestesis first. Any suggestions/hints?
        >
        > Ant.

        I confirm that Aestesis work really good with 3dfx. If you have only
        one screen (the video card signal injected in the 3dfx : i.e. normal
        video games connection), it may create some errors and certainly stop
        your system but with the correct connection with 2 screen : it's
        fantastic.

        I use a Diamond Monster 3d II as 3dfx card but I have to remove the
        glide2x.* files in the aestesis directory. I think it's certainly the
        main problem you have. Try and say it !

        Germain, happy aestesis user !
      • Ant Brooks
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 12, 1998
          Francois Altwies wrote:

          > i told it already in the list,

          I think I missed that post, sorry!

          > i bought a creative 3D blaster Voodo2 and if you remove the 2 files glide2x....
          > it works..

          Oh good :). I wonder if the same fix would work for
          the Pure 3D II card? AFAIU, that also uses a Voodoo2
          chip, but judging from the reviews, it performs better
          than the Creative cards.

          > but you alwys need an expensive vga to rgb converter...

          I have one of those already, but I'm glad to know that
          it works in conjuction with the 3dfx card.

          > hope this helps

          Definitely. Many thanks!

          Ant.

          --
          /=================================================\
          | ant@... | ICQ 417614 | +27 83 326 3933 |

        • Ant Brooks
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 1998
            Vincent B wrote:

            > But there is a problem, we can't take
            > the control of the keyboard as we want to do, so we have to re-design it
            > for those microscopic buttons Renan made !

            I don't mind the buttons. It's those darn "virtual balls" that
            have me stumped. I seem to have a knack for spinning them
            too far, too quickly and I end up with an extreme close-up of
            just one pixel, or with the image crammed into just the top
            left corner of the screen. (Cue: Ant hitting the "." key ;)

            Then again, I probably just need more practice <grin>

            Ant.

            --
            /=================================================\
            | ant@... | ICQ 417614 | +27 83 326 3933 |

          • 小平雅之
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 13, 1998
              Thanks everybody!! All VJ softwares listed are very usefull and good refere
              nces to me.

              Masayuki

              > james bell wrote:
              >
              > > > know any other VJ softwares? -Masayuki Kodaira
              > >
              > > I'm starting a VJ dedicated site in the near future. Some programs
              > > I have are listed below.
              >
              > <impressive list snipped>
              >
              > James, do you have all the eye-candy from the Hyperreal
              > tool shed (http://www.hyperreal.org/tools/) and TOUECCANS
              > (http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/5843/index.html)
              > on your list? Both are good sources of VJ software.
              >
              > Also, I'm still waiting to hear if anyone on this list
              > (other than renan ;) has a 3dfx card that is working
              > correctly with Aestesis. I desparately want to buy a
              > new card, but I want to make sure it'll work with
              > Aestesis first. Any suggestions/hints?
              >
              > Ant.

            • Vincent B
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 1998
                Hey Aestmen !

                Thank you for the softwares lists !

                I know all those listed by toueccans but some are unknown for me... so it
                is a good news because my very best programs for now are aestesis dos and
                aestesis98... which is not working with my 3dfx card (this to answer you,
                Ant.). I don't know why but when I start the 3dfx button a dialogbox says
                that the program expect a new version of I_don't_remember_what. I'm waiting
                for Renan to come here and fix it, because I don't know what to do now (hey
                Ren. it's an invitation...)... hum, here is a precision : I tried to run
                the 3dfx features ONLY under win98.

                I don't know the softs on Atari or other platforms, but I'm very curious to
                see that.
                Few monthes ago, I was waiting for the pc version of XPOSE from ARKAOS...
                but the result is.. very poor ! an awfull program with a poor result.

                I saw a wonderful web site this summer, probably the coolest Flash Site I
                saw... here is the url. Renan, it's the website I told you the other day
                before the party, go browse :
                http://www2.nagafuji.com/index.cgi
                The server is down tonite so I xcan't verify the validity of the url.. tell
                me in private mail if it does not work properly. This site is splendid...
                flash site with a japanese graphist sensibility... great.. and if you
                browse the different links on this site, you'll find a page with cool
                graphisms and interresant little video, and this page speak about a new VJ
                software that is coming soon. I email the authors, but I did not understood
                a lot because all the site is in japanese... so I understand only the
                titles. The mail is no-response for the moment. I hope this project is not
                abbandonned. But go just to see the flash site 'image dive' it's great !

                Okay by now I'm working with my friend seb on a new effect that is running
                pretty cool under dos, based on the aestesis fft sources, that displays a
                sample and slide bitmap and flc banks... for the windows version, it will
                be a part of aestesis, as a plugin.. But there is a problem, we can't take
                the control of the keyboard as we want to do, so we have to re-design it
                for those microscopic buttons Renan made ! The other problem is that Seb
                always says 'I will do' but never does. And he is the coder so I'm praying
                him to do this fucking code... If the praying technique doesn't work, I'll
                put his email on the list, and we will all mailbomb him together until the
                plugin is done, okay ?

                Moment I have to write on the list are rares so let me say another thing to
                those who can code this knid of programs... there is a new midi peripheric
                on the market.. this is a 8 tracks midi mixtable with 8 potentiometers (I
                don't know the exact english term) This is made for using with Cubase or
                stuff like that with mixtables inside.. but midi can works for images too..
                so if you code, don't forget to include in your developpement the midi
                environement, so we could use in the future some VJ softwares with cool
                interfaces and not only a 105 keyboard + mouse !

                And now that aestesis 98 is tunning with winamp, try the effects with the
                last Clinton's soundfile.. it is funny and it works very well how aestesis
                reacts on sound ! (Renan don't kill me please I just say that 'like that')

                Okay, thanks for reading, sorry for this awfull english, and see ya !

                Vinch
              • Vincent B
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 14, 1998
                  Hello Aestmen !

                  Today we built a little site called ACTION! RVB,
                  dedicated to VJs and VJ's softs in general, and Aestesis users particularily.

                  http://www.mygale.org/11/rvb

                  You'll find in it tips and links around aestesis and computer-graphism, and
                  soon the
                  fully illustrated aestesis98 documentation, both in html and acrobat pdf
                  format.
                  Any contribution to this doc is welcome !
                  I'll update the VJ SOFTS zone with the infos from the Renan Mailing-list.
                  Feel free to post some addons, freeplugins, photoshop actions, free or
                  shareware fonts, tips and techniques on aestesis, set of bitmaps for
                  aestesis...
                  it will be added to the site. We can open new zones.

                  The links page is make to provides shortcuts to your VJ or gfx sites, so
                  don't hesitate.

                  thanks
                  Vinch
                • Frank Heim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 14, 1998

                    Ant wrote:
                    Also, I'm still waiting to hear if anyone on this list
                    (other than renan ;) has a 3dfx card that is working
                    correctly with Aestesis. I desparately want to buy a
                    new card, but I want to make sure it'll work with
                    Aestesis first. Any suggestions/hints?

                    Hi Ant !

                    A friend of mine uses Aestesis98 on a "Miro HiScore2"
                    Voodoo II card. It works fine (no rumor - i've seen it work).
                    And even better the Miro II (Voodoo I and Voodoo II) has
                    a video out in composite and s-vhs. And what I consider a
                    big advantage is that it produces fullscreen output.

                    Fullscreen output is much nicer for mixing with fullscreen
                    video tapes. Maybe you don't have the problems in the US
                    with NTSC but here in germany we have PAL and all graphic
                    cards with video out or converters from vga2pal produce a
                    cinema like output with black on top and bottom of the
                    picture that doesnt add that good to other pictures when mixed.

                    If I remember right the Miro is sold only in europe and gives
                    you only PAL. But I know I read of a card sold in the states
                    that gives you NTSC - but don't ask I cant remember the name.
                    A big disadvantage of the "Miro HiScore I" is that it is quite
                    insecure when it comes to hot-plugging the video out.
                    I killed the card of a friend by hot plugging ...
                    A solution with many videosources including the HiScoreI
                    connected to a single input on a videomixer via a switchbox
                    might be no good idea...
                    So though the HiScoreI is quite cheap now I didn't want to buy it.

                    The HiScoreII doesn't have this problem but costs much more ..
                    So same as you I'm waiting for a good solution ... I hope the
                    new graphic cards coming out will have what I search or at least
                    make the prices sink of the older ones.

                    Does anyone know if Aestesis98 works with the banshee ?
                    The banshee is the new chip from 3dfx which can be found on
                    combi-cards (3D+graphic card in one). And then again having only
                    a banshee combi-card can give you only one output and not two
                    for effect output AND windows with controler. For a second
                    output you would need another gfx-card working together with
                    the banshee card under win98... a big area of try and error.

                    To summarize I would say:
                    At the moment and if you want fullscreen PAL output - the best 3dfx card
                    for aestesis is the Miro HiScore II.

                    The mailinglist is starting to be real interesting ... thanx all !

                    Ciao ...
                    Frank Heim

                  • Ant Brooks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 14, 1998
                      Frank Heim wrote:

                      > Fullscreen output is much nicer for mixing with fullscreen
                      > video tapes. Maybe you don't have the problems in the US
                      > with NTSC but here in germany we have PAL and all graphic
                      > cards with video out or converters from vga2pal produce a
                      > cinema like output with black on top and bottom of the
                      > picture that doesnt add that good to other pictures when mixed.

                      Actually, I live in South Africa and not the US :). We use
                      PAL here too and I'm all too familiar with the black-band
                      problem of most converters :(.

                      I'm interested to hear about the Miro card (I didn't know
                      they'd released a HiScoreII), but when I tried to get hold
                      of a Miro card a year or so back, it worked out cheaper
                      to buy a return ticket to Europe and get the card there than
                      it did to import it! That might have changed in the last year,
                      so I'll make some enquiries -- thanks for the pointers.

                      Ant.

                      --
                      | ant@... | ICQ 417614 | +27 83 326 3933 |