Sept. 12 Meeeting and "AES Experts" Presentations

  • Bill Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2011
      We're only two days into the "AES Experts" presentations, and it's shaping up to be a terrific series! Congratulations to the AES Oral History Project.

      In today's video, Edgar Villchur talks about the design of the AR XA turntable, which many of us remember fondly as THE entry level piece of Hi-Fi equipment. It was so lightweight; different than anything else, and fairly affordable too. I saved and saved 'til I had the $78 to send to Allied Electronics (plus 1 cent for an Empire 880 cartridge) so I could replace my one-speed Weathers Townsend turntable with the AR beauty. I'll bet we'll get some other comments on this as well, but I for one definitely remember the care you had to take shimming and steadying the turntable suspension when you moved the unit from place to place, such as when you took it to a friend's house to play your records (I wasn't the only one who wouldn't trust my friends' parents' console stereos' needles with my records' precious grooves!)

      Text 'AES' to 757575 to be updated as new "AES Experts" presentations are released.
      Everyone will get a lot out of these short videos. Subscribe and enjoy.

      ALSO....

      We'll see you Sept. 12 at the AES Meeting at CJ Muggs, 101 W. Lockwood 63119. Dinner and socializing start at 6:30, and the meeting will come to order at 7. Don't miss this special meeting- Not only will audio legend Bob Heil be speaking, we will be congratulating Adviser Gary Gottlieb who has been elected to the Audio Engineering Society Board of Governors! Gary's dedication to the Society has been recognized on the international level, and we are proud that our St. Louis section will be represented so well in the leadership of the greater organization. If that weren't enough, we've also learned that Gary will be honored at the New York Convention with a Citation commemorating his outstanding contributions to AES and to the industry in general. Come out to the meeting next Monday and add to the applause!

      Thanks and congratulations to Gary Gottlieb.

      Happy Labor Day!

      Bill Schulenburg
      Chairman, Audio Engineering Society St. Louis Regional Section
    • Paul Stamler
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2011
        On 9/5/2011 1:38 PM, Bill Schulenburg wrote:

        > In today's video, Edgar Villchur talks about the design of the AR XA
        > turntable, which many of us remember fondly as THE entry level piece of
        > Hi-Fi equipment. It was so lightweight; different than anything else,
        > and fairly affordable too. I saved and saved 'til I had the $78 to send
        > to Allied Electronics (plus 1 cent for an Empire 880 cartridge) so I
        > could replace my one-speed Weathers Townsend turntable with the AR
        > beauty. I'll bet we'll get some other comments on this as well, but I
        > for one definitely remember the care you had to take shimming and
        > steadying the turntable suspension when you moved the unit from place to
        > place, such as when you took it to a friend's house to play your records
        > (I wasn't the only one who wouldn't trust my friends' parents' console
        > stereos' needles with my records' precious grooves!)

        I have definite memories of that turntable; my apartment-mates had one,
        and in subsequent years I owned a couple of them myself. They definitely
        had a sweeter, purer sound than the competition -- probably because the
        suspension isolated the table and arm from the outside world so well.
        That same jouncy suspension meant you had to be very careful where you
        placed the turntable, since a slightly loose floorboard would make the
        record skip when you walked by.

        I now have, as my main turntable for LPs, the successor to the AR XA,
        which came out in the 1980s. It has a much better tone arm, but the
        transport section is essentially the same as the old Villchur design.
        And I still need to be very careful where I put it.

        Peace,
        Paul