Previewing bad audio

  • Paul Stamler
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7 10:24 PM
      Hi folks:

      Yeah, we all hate .mp3s and other compressed-data formats. But sometimes
      we need to do stuff for clients that will wind up in those formats. The
      guys at Sonnox have created a plug that enables real-time monitoring of
      what it sounds like through compressed formats:

      http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/ws/pub/plugins/products/pro-codec.htm?i=Web_eNEWS_APR2011

      This being Sonnox, it's not going to be cheap, but for some folks it may
      save a lot of time.

      Peace,
      Paul
    • Justin Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9 10:05 AM
        It's definitely a cool idea.  I've joked in the past about how current engineers have "bit crushing", sample rate degrading plugins, tape saturation plugs, and future engineers will have an "mp3" plugins.  Well it got here sooner than I thought.  Obviously it's not the intent of the plugin, but it's funny nonetheless.

        Anyway, i remember reading an article about this and the projected price was over $400 which is insane.  This plugin should be no more than $100.  I'd rather use that money to buy a new mic and just bounce my audio to mp3 and see how it sounds.

        Justin

        To: aesstlouis@yahoogroups.com; aespro@yahoogroups.com