Acoustic Consultation

  • viaspiaggia
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 6:32 PM
      Hi AES, my first posting here. Thanks in advance for your tips! (I posted to the forums, but thought I would post here, too)

      I've got a decent surround studio where I do the bulk of my work, and while I did what I could with the walls and have good basic bass traps and treatment, I've never had a proper tuning done of the room. (It's in my finished basement)

      So, can anyone recommend a good way to go about having my room analyzed for standing waves, and get recommendations for treatment? I'm a DIY kind of guy and am planning to build whatever needs doing treatment-wise, but need a good way to test the room first.

      I'm happy to pay someone qualified to come in and do it, or will happily swap for time or beer with someone who has the gear themselves and can loan it out.

      Thanks!

      Adam Frick
      adamsound@...
      adamfrick.com
    • Paul Stamler
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4 12:32 AM
        On 3/3/2011 8:32 PM, viaspiaggia wrote:
        > Hi AES, my first posting here. Thanks in advance for your tips! (I posted to the forums, but thought I would post here, too)
        >
        > I've got a decent surround studio where I do the bulk of my work, and while I did what I could with the walls and have good basic bass traps and treatment, I've never had a proper tuning done of the room. (It's in my finished basement)
        >
        > So, can anyone recommend a good way to go about having my room analyzed for standing waves, and get recommendations for treatment? I'm a DIY kind of guy and am planning to build whatever needs doing treatment-wise, but need a good way to test the room first.
        >
        > I'm happy to pay someone qualified to come in and do it, or will happily swap for time or beer with someone who has the gear themselves and can loan it out.

        You can do the basic analysis yourself using the room dimensions. See
        one of F. Alton Everest's books on designing small studios, which you
        can find at public libraries (or get via inter-library loan). A
        professional measurement may give you a more nuanced view, but you can
        figure the basics out, if the room is rectangular or square, using
        simple math.

        Peace,
        Paul
      • Adam Frick
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4 5:21 AM
          Thanks, Paul, I meant to mention it is NOT a regularly shaped room. I angled the walls a bit and there are some odd openings into other parts of the basement. Not an easily measure or quantified space, which is why I'm interested in a more precise opinion.

          adam

          314-577-6206 - studio
          314-808-4846 - cell
          adamfrick.com/sound