RE: [aespro] Re: [aesstlouis] aesstl.org

  • Justin Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
      So I guess the real question is what are everyone's thoughts on this?

      We'll take a little poll.

      1. Who would like to use the aesstl.org forum for technical questions (a "local gearslutz" if you will) and leave the yahoo group for alerts and time sensitive material?

      2. Who thinks things are fine just the way they are?

      3. Who doesn't like either of these options and thinks there should be an alternative, like Facebook?

      I'm going to be honest with everyone here and say that the officers of St. Louis AES all want to see more traffic generated towards the site.  Not many people are using it and it really should be the hub for all St. Louis chapter AES info.

      Justin

      To: aesstlouis@yahoogroups.com
      CC: glitchfactor@...; aespro@yahoogroups.com
      From: pstamler@...
      Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:21:30 -0600
      Subject: [aespro] Re: [aesstlouis] aesstl.org

      On 1/31/2011 9:16 AM, Justin Fisher wrote:
      > I would like to remind everyone to please go to the forum at AESSTL.org
      > and register. We'd like to try and migrate these yahoo groups over there
      > eventually as a hub for questions about audio.
      >
      > Any objections to this?

      Let me ask: would that be a forum one has to go and visit to read
      messages? One nice thing about these listservs is that the messages come
      to us (as e-mail); we don't have to go to them.

      Peace,
      Paul

    • Paul Stamler
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
        On 2/1/2011 7:10 PM, Justin Fisher wrote:

        > So I guess the real question is what are everyone's thoughts on this?
        >
        > We'll take a little poll.
        >
        > 1. Who would like to use the aesstl.org forum for technical questions (a
        > "local gearslutz" if you will) and leave the yahoo group for alerts and
        > time sensitive material?
        >
        > 2. Who thinks things are fine just the way they are?
        >
        > 3. Who doesn't like either of these options and thinks there should be
        > an alternative, like Facebook?

        I vote 2. Definitely not 3, as we want to be open to people who aren't
        on Facebook (yes, there are some).

        Peace,
        Paul S.
      • Gary Gottlieb
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2011
          I think there's a lot of value for students to get answers to their technical questions from both their peers and from professionals on the pro site who are willing to help (please, don't anyone underestimate the value of that resource). Nonetheless, there are those like Joe, Paul and Barry who would prefer to have things show up in their inbox rather than cruise another site.

          I see a lot of value in the wider audience with more diverse skills provided by the pro site, I also respect the convenience and preference of the inbox. In addition, I understand the importance to our pro section of driving more traffic to our site - that's what it's there for - a resource for us all.

          I think the answer may be to do what you are comfortable with. I hope that students will consider cross-posting, sending an email out on the yahoo group to get an idea from peers and teachers, then posting it on the pro site as well to get more opinions from a wider group of area professionals.

          It seems cumbersome, but I can't think of any other way around this, since people will always gravitate to convenience and comfort (how else do you explain the popularity of ipods?).

          Gary Gottlieb
          Associate Professor of Audio Production
          Author, Shaping Sound in the Studio and Beyond, Recording on the Go & How Does It Sound Now? (Winner of the 2010 ARSC Award for Excellence in Historical Recorded Sound Research)
          http://www.webster.edu/aes/gottlieb
          Webster University

          On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Barry Hufker <barryhufker@...> wrote:

          I'm happy with things as they are.  The topics show up in my emails.  I don't have to visit yet another site.  I don't need to mess with passwords or user ID or search through topics or check posting summaries...  And I'm one of those who doesn't "do" Facebook.

          Barry

          On 2/1/2011 7:10 PM, Justin Fisher wrote:

          > So I guess the real question is what are everyone's thoughts on this?
          >
          > We'll take a little poll.
          >
          > 1. Who would like to use the aesstl.org forum for technical questions (a
          > "local gearslutz" if you will) and leave the yahoo group for alerts and
          > time sensitive material?
          >
          > 2. Who thinks things are fine just the way they are?
          >
          > 3. Who doesn't like either of these options and thinks there should be
          > an alternative, like Facebook?

          I vote 2. Definitely not 3, as we want to be open to people who aren't
          on Facebook (yes, there are some).

          Peace,
          Paul S.

          <*> Your email settings: