Telephone interface?

  • Paul Stamler
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hi folks:

      Does anyone have some sort of telephone interface that I could borrow or
      rent? Here's the situation: On Friday, April 9th, I'll be working a
      dance where we need to put a telephone call onto the PA system. The
      catch is that there doesn't seem to be a telephone jack anyplace near
      the stage. The most obvious option would be to take the headset output
      of a cellphone and run it into an input of the mixer (it has 1/4" TRS
      inputs which can be either mic or line level, in addition to the regular
      XLR inputs).

      Any of you folks ever done this, anyone got the right piece of gear to
      do it with? Thanks!

      Peace,
      Paul
    • Kenneth Ciszewski
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
        Many years ago I have saw people take two non-polarized capacitors rated at anywhere from 1 uf to 10 uf at 600 volts, put one of each in series with each side of a hard wired central office (POTS) telephone line, and feed the other sides of the two capacitors into the transformer balanced input of an audio mixer, usually a line level input.

        An unbalanced input is done with a transformer after the two capacitors.

        The transformer would have to withstand the 70-100 vRMS ringing voltage.

        It is my understanding that technically and legally, this sort of thing does not meet current FCC standards for such an interface.

        Radio Shack offered the following pickup microphone on their website that might worrk:

        $7.99

        Add to compare
             Compare now
        Recorder Telephone Pickup - RadioShack.com
        Recorder Telephone Pickup
        Model: 44-533  |  Catalog #: 44-533

        For recording personal calls* or keeping a record of unwanted calls. Includes an easy-to-use suction...
        Product Rating

        3.9 stars
         (15 Ratings)
        http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032094

      • gvwolin@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
          I might be able to get a Telos or Gentner If you can sacrifice a headset cable I can make it work.