Prophets old and new

  • Vivekananda Centre
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 1999
      It is interesting to compare the spiritual teachings of various prophets
      from different ages. One of the most ancient prophets of India is Sage
      Kapila. He is perhaps the first one to make a clear distinction between
      'spirit' and 'matter'. He used the word 'Purusha' which later evolved into
      the idea of the 'Self' as being distinct from the rest of 'Nature' or
      'Prakriti' - the term he used. This was perhaps the first major step in the
      evolution of spiritual ideas.

      jay
    • Vivekananda Centre
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 1999
        Posting from another list:-

        From: "Vivekananda Centre" <vivekananda@...>

        One of the major step forward in spirituality came with Kapila who said:
        'Purusha' or the Self is different from 'Prakriti' (nature which includes
        body, senses, mind and even the intellect). I am quite convinced that Kapila
        was in the same state of heightened awareness that say Adi Shankara or Swami
        Vivekananda experienced. We have to understand that the experience is the
        same but the explanation - the language used are necessarily different.
        Their explanation and language reflect the best tools they had available in
        their times to put across their vibrant experience. As Swami Vivekananda
        once remarked 'There is nothing new in what I preach'. The same thinking can
        be applied to the teachings of all prophets of all religions. Real religion
        begins with vibrant spiritual experience (has to be first hand!!) - the
        person who experiences then tries to put across what he has experienced
        (which really defies description) - in the best language and terminology he
        can muster.

        >Raman Sharma wrote
        > Taking that Purusha and prakriti are within the individual, Is it
        > 'Chith Jada Grandhi" that links both? Can any body throow light on
        > this? Can we identify purusha and prakriti with sentient and
        > insentient aspects of the individual?
        >
        > Ramana Sarma

        The best way to explain the relationship between Purusha and Prakriti
        through the Dvaita approach would be to introduce the idea of 'Leela' (play
        for the sake of the play is why Purusha has got involved with Prakriti. The
        involvement is very real but how and why is best explained as play for the
        sake of the play.)

        In the Advaita approach it is explained via the concept of 'Maya'. (the fact
        that we think Purusha is involved with Prakriti is mere ignorance. It is not
        true - Full stop).

        According to me the unity that lies behind varied approaches to
        spirituality - to all
        varied philosophies like Advaita and Dvaita is best highlighted in the life
        and teachings of Sri Ramakrishna.

        jay