Re: cost of adopting while living abroad

  • chantaldunn
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2009
      Hi Marie,

      I adopted from Kazakhstan this year and ended up spending about 45-50k US dollars, keeping in mind that Kaz is one of the most expensive adoption countries out there because of the long in-country stay and expensive flights.

      The "purely overseas stuff" was as Jen mentioned an overseas fee by my agency (I think 1000), social worker travel expenses were a couple of hundred. Fedex and mail expenses about 2000, flying to another city to get fingerprints and notarizations done, probably another 2000 (including the bigger expense of the notarization itself--in the US it costs about 5 dollars to get a document notarized, in France it costs 30 euros to get the US consul to do it).

      If you want to email me offline, I can send you my expense tracker; it's not perfectly up to date with my 2nd trip expenses yet, but it gives you an idea.

      Best,
      Chantal

      --- In adoptionforamericansabroad@yahoogroups.com, JENNIFER LONG <jen_lon@...> wrote:

      > We are currently in the process of adopting from Ethiopia through an US agency while living in Singapore.
      >

      > We are using a social worker here who fits the US agencies requirements and his fees for the home study are US$1000. I believe we willhave to have the home study validated by a social worker in the US which will be about $100 more.
      >

      > The agency we are using (CHsfs) charges $1500 for overseas clients in addition to their normal fees.
      >

      > we don't have a grand total but typically for us citizens an international adoption would cost about $20000 (all in US dollars)
      >

      > Hope this helps. We are early in the process.
      >

      > Jen
      >

      > To: adoptionforamericansabroad@yahoogroups.com
      > From: une_autreamelie@...
      > Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 02:49:23 +0000
      > Subject: [adoptionforamericansabroad] cost of adopting while living abroad
      >

      > Hi everyone,
      > My husband and I live in New Zealand and we are currently stuck in the NZ system to adopt from Thailand. We are thinking of adopting through an American agency next time. Can anyone give us an estimation of how much they've spent all up? With flying social workers around the globe fro homestudies and agency fees, etc. I'm worried about it being out of our reach financially.
      > Many thanks,
      > Marie

    • amelie
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2009
        Thank you for your replies. I'm embarassed to say that I forgot my password which is why it's taken me so long to reply. I'm active in a Yahoo group for people in NZ adopting from Thailand and I only just realised I was putting in that password, DUH!

        Anyway, wow! That's a lot of money. $20-25,000 NZDs is what we anticipate we'll be spending by going through the terrible NZ system, but to think of that amount in US dollars (if we were to switch to the US system)makes my head spin. I think we need to move to the US if we ever get through this adoption and earn some USDs as Kiwi dollars don't go very far. I wonder if that would be possible or if we'd have to be resident in the US for a certain amount of time before we could apply to adopt.

        Thank you again!