Domestic Adoption while abroad

  • flemingcarrie
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
      We are reconsidering Russia due to the potential negative issues
      there that might mean a close down next year and I was wondering if
      anyone had adopted from the US while abroad and how difficult it was.
      My main concern is whether birth mothers would even choose someone
      living overseas so would be interested in anyone's experiences. We
      would have to do via the UK to meet their reqs of course first. Any
      info on agencies that work with people abroad would be gratefully
      recieved. Feel free to email me off list.
      Thanks
      Carrie
    • Lauren
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        Actually you might not * have * to go the UK route to do a US
        domestic adoption. I think you could do a US homestudy and have the
        adoption finalized in the States and then once you have a US
        adoption certificate and a US birth certificate, and a US passport
        the British homeoffice will recognize the adoption, and it will be
        possible for a visa to be issued. When we were completing our
        adoption, there was a website (wish I could remember the URL) that
        listed from which countries adoptions would recognized and from
        which you countries you would need to readopt the child once back in
        the UK. On that list it stated that The UK recognizes US
        adoptions. In fact when we called the Home Office, they reccomended
        that (while in the States) we readopt our daughter (adopted in
        Kazakhstan) because they said they would not recognize the adoption
        that took place in Kazakhstan.
        In the end though we got her a visa to enter the UK in her US
        passport after sending in the US passport, application, photocopies
        of her orginial (Kazakh) adoption certificate & birth certificate
        along with an original of her Maryland birth certificate. (Maryland
        recognizes adoptions abroad and issues birth certificates without
        need to readopt.)
        It seems the UK recognizes US adoption certificates and birth
        certificates.

        The process may have been different for us though because we do have
        SOFA status.

        Best wishes,
        Lauren

        --- In adoptionforamericansabroad@yahoogroups.com, "flemingcarrie"
        <carrieswanson@a...> wrote:

        > We are reconsidering Russia due to the potential negative issues
        > there that might mean a close down next year and I was wondering
        if
        > anyone had adopted from the US while abroad and how difficult it
        was.
        > My main concern is whether birth mothers would even choose someone
        > living overseas so would be interested in anyone's experiences. We
        > would have to do via the UK to meet their reqs of course first.
        Any
        > info on agencies that work with people abroad would be gratefully
        > recieved. Feel free to email me off list.
        > Thanks
        > Carrie
      • Shellye
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
          Carrie:  Lauren is correct.  If both you and your husband are American citizens, you could do the adoption and circumvent the British system altogether.  However, if you are also Brits and living in the UK, you have no way around their system, and in that case I would actually recommend you consider all your options and go the easiest route.
          good luck!
          shellye

          <carrieswanson@a...> wrote:

          > We are reconsidering Russia due to the potential negative issues
          > there that might mean a close down next year and I was wondering
          if
          > anyone had adopted from the US while abroad and how difficult it
          was.
          > My main concern is whether birth mothers would even choose someone
          > living overseas so would be interested in anyone's experiences. We
          > would have to do via the UK to meet their reqs of course first.
          Any
          > info on agencies that work with people abroad would be gratefully
          > recieved. Feel free to email me off list.
          > Thanks
          > Carrie

        • flemingcarrie
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
            Thanks all...husband is british and as I'm a perm resident we
            absolutely have to go the UK route (and are already half way
            through)...
            Cheers
            Carrie

            --- In adoptionforamericansabroad@yahoogroups.com, "Shellye"