Fingerprinting services in London needed

  • rhicel1
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2004
      Hi everyone,
      I need to have my fingerprints taken to obtain NY state criminal
      clearance for my home study.
      I live in the UK. I have phoned my local police station, the Us
      embassy in London (who only take fingerprints for I-600a), looked on
      the internet and in my yellow pages, but no one knows where I can
      have fingerprints taken by an official agency.
      Please can any of you who have had to do this in the UK tell me where
      I can go to get them taken?
      Many thanks,
      Maria
    • Inge Hanson
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 5, 2004
        Hi!  I had a really hard time finding someone to do my fingerprints officially too - I live in Wales and also come from New York so I had to go through the same procedure as you.  Ultimately a very kind police officer in the fingerprinting department of the Cardiff police office took pity on me as I'd become desparate and he took my prints on the fingerprint cards that NY State provided, although he took the prints unofficially - i.e., he didn't charge - but he did sign the card.  I also have a neighbor who is a police detective and he took my I-600 prints so I didn't have to travel to London to have them taken.

        You might ask your local police station if someone there would take your prints in a non-official capacity - i.e., take your prints and sign the card, but as individuals rather than as representatives of the police department.  This is a fine distinction but is how I got my prints done.  You might ask if there's a retired police officer who would do your prints.

        If you are completely at your wits end, and wouldn't mind coming to Cardiff, I'm sure my neighbor would do your prints.

        I wish you the best as this was really frustrating for me -

        Also, either have two sets of prints made and keep an extra set just in case or hold onto the print card once NY State returns it to you - you may need it (I did) - Inge Hanson  (PS if you need information on how to get the NY Child Abuse Clearance, let me know as I can help there)  Our son is also finally here living with us - and we just got his US Certificate of Citizenship!

        Hi everyone,
        I need to have my fingerprints taken to obtain NY state criminal
        clearance for my home study.
        I live in the UK. I have phoned my local police station, the Us
        embassy in London (who only take fingerprints for I-600a), looked on
        the internet and in my yellow pages, but no one knows where I can
        have fingerprints taken by an official agency.
        Please can any of you who have had to do this in the UK tell me where
        I can go to get them taken?
        Many thanks,
        Maria

      • Jill Copen Newland
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
          I live in Derbyshire, England and I'm from NY as well.   We went to our local police station and they did it for a fee of �25 per set of fingerprints.  At first they were unsure of our request, and the constable needed to talk to some supervisor about it and then they just had us come back and it wasn't a problem.  They used the cards supplied by the American Embassy.  I used these fingerprints for our I-600A form.   I would love to know how you got your child's US certificate of citizenship.  We hope to travel before the end of this year to adopt.
          Jill

          Inge Hanson <ingehanson@...> wrote:
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Billy Gray
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
            Call the local police station.  They may be able to do it or they may send you to Scotland Yard.

            - Lucy

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
              Hi again,
              Well I finally had a breakthrough regarding the fingerprinting. I
              contacted Scotland Yard this morning, and they will do this service
              for £20. I have an appointment scheduled for next Thursday. It's
              ideal for me as it's only in central London. Not so good for people
              not in London though.
              I'm somewhat confused about the whole idea of obtaining US police
              checks, however, since I know at least one person who is also from
              NY, but hasn't lived there for over 10 years, and they were not
              required to produce any NY police checks either for their home study
              or agency or INS. So it seems this requirement is somewhat arbitrary.
              INS definitely don't require it if you've lived outside the US for
              over 10 years.
              I thankfully had no difficulty getting NY child abuse clearance,
              thanks to info passed on to me by someone on this list- thank you
              again Elizabeth!
              Inge, I am so thrilled to hear you finally have your son- what
              wonderful news! I'd really love to hear about your trip and see some
              photos of him, if you can find the time, and know how you're all
              getting on. Get in touch privately when you get a moment.
              Best wishes,
              Maria
            • rhicel1
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
                Hi Jill,
                Did you receive a form to fill out along with fingerprint cards from
                NY state department of Criminal Justice? that's what I'm doing, just
                curious if you had to do the same.
                Best wishes
                Maria
              • Inge Hanson
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
                  I had to fill our a form together with the fingerprint cards.  Inge
                • Jill Copen Newland
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6, 2004
                    Hi Maria,

                    No, I didn't.  I got a NY State police clearance and they didn't require fingerprints...I hope it's acceptable.  It seems to me there are several ways to get a police clearance from New york.

                    Have you sent in your I-600A yet?   If so, where did you get the fingerprints done for that?  Just wondering because the I-600a is usually the first step in the process.

                    Take care,
                    Jill

                    rhicel1 <m@...> wrote:
                    Hi Jill,
                    Did you receive a form to fill out along with fingerprint cards from
                    NY state department of Criminal Justice? that's what I'm doing, just
                    curious if you had to do the same.
                    Best wishes
                    Maria

                    Jill Copen Newland

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • rhicel1
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 7, 2004
                      Hi Jill,
                      No I haven't applied for my I-600a yet, as I haven't had a home study
                      done yet. When I do, I will phone the relevant department at the
                      embassy in London and arrange a date and time to have it done,
                      including fingerprints.
                      I'm curious how you got NY state police clearance, without needing
                      fongerprints. Who did you apply to for the clearance? I was told to
                      contact NY Dept of Criminal Justice, which I did, and phoned them,
                      asked for the relevant form, and they sent me a form along with
                      fingerprint card to fill out. What form were you sent?
                      Cheers,
                      Maria

                      PS Do these police clearances ever expire, provided we stay living
                      outside the uS?
                    • fionnualaandpaul
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 7, 2004
                        If you are going to Scotland Yard in person, make sure that as well
                        as carrying your passport for id, you also bring with you a written
                        letter of invitation, stating the time and date of your appointment,
                        signed by a Scotland Yard official. Otherwise you will not be let in!

                        I had to pick up a police clearance from Scotland Yard recently and
                        was told over the phone told just to come to reception and call the
                        relevant person from there. When I arrived, the policemen on duty
                        outside the building would not let me into reception, even though I
                        had the name and extension number of the official, plus an earlier
                        letter from him and, of course, full (British) id.

                        I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you! Get them to fax you
                        a letter in advance, and don't believe them if they say it is not
                        necessary!

                        Best wishes,
                        Fionnuala

                        --- In adoptionforamericansabroad@yahoogroups.com, "rhicel1" <m@j...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hi again,
                        > Well I finally had a breakthrough regarding the fingerprinting. I
                        > contacted Scotland Yard this morning, and they will do this service
                        > for £20. I have an appointment scheduled for next Thursday.
                      • Lisa & Dennis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 7, 2004
                          Maria,
                          I do not know which INS/Homeland Security office you are working
                          with, but we applied to the one in Rome (we live in France) and they
                          would accept everything even if you did not have the homestudy
                          completed. They asked that we include a note saying "Home Study to
                          Follow". We applied in December and they had everything ready to go
                          when we had our home study completed in May. I even had to re-do my
                          fingerprints and it did not hold us up because that was in January.
                          Though I might mention this to you.
                          Good luck,
                          Lisa D.

                          <m@j...> wrote:
                          > Hi Jill,
                          > No I haven't applied for my I-600a yet, as I haven't had a home
                          study
                          > done yet. When I do, I will phone the relevant department at the
                          > embassy in London and arrange a date and time to have it done,
                          > including fingerprints.
                          > I'm curious how you got NY state police clearance, without needing
                          > fongerprints. Who did you apply to for the clearance? I was told
                          > contact NY Dept of Criminal Justice, which I did, and phoned them,
                          > asked for the relevant form, and they sent me a form along with
                          > fingerprint card to fill out. What form were you sent?
                          > Cheers,
                          > Maria
                          >
                          > PS Do these police clearances ever expire, provided we stay living
                          > outside the uS?
                        • rhicel1
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 7, 2004
                            Hi Fionnula,
                            I was told on the phone just to turn up. I do not know the name of
                            the person I'm seeing or any extension number. I don't have a fax
                            number. I will call them on Monday and ask for a letter to be sent to
                            me. However this was definitely not mentioned to me at any time when
                            I made the appointment. I can't understand why they would do this.
                            I'll let you know what happens in any case.
                            Thanks, Maria
                          • rhicel1
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 7, 2004
                              Hi Lisa
                              I will be using the iNS office at the London embassy. Yes I know I
                              can submite the I-600a application without my home study, but as the
                              London office processes these so quickly I don't see the point. I'd
                              rather have everything in order when I submit my application.
                              Thanks for the info!
                              Cheers,
                              Maria
                            • rhicel1
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 7, 2004
                                Hi Fionnula,
                                Just wondering-
                                what type of police clearance did you need to collect from Scotland
                                Yard?
                                Also, if you had a letter from someone, why wouldn't they let you in?
                                How did you get them to let you in, in the end? How long ago was this?
                                Thanks again,
                                Maria
                              • fionnualaandpaul
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 9, 2004
                                  Hi Maria,

                                  My police clearance was actually nothing to do with adoption, so
                                  don't worry about it! And the letter I had did not specifically
                                  mention my appointment - that was fixed up over the phone later
                                  (because they had not sent the police clearance through the mail as
                                  promised in the letter!). Unfortunately Scotland Yard is very
                                  inefficient - and I don't think the people working there are fully
                                  aware of the security outside - they just flash their passes and go
                                  in each morning. I actually asked when I called whether I needed any
                                  kind of id or letter from them to get in, and was told I did not.
                                  And then I turned up and was not admitted...

                                  Perhaps if you do not have a fax machine they could fax it via a
                                  friend's office? That's what we did. But of course the mail should
                                  work fine too.

                                  Good luck!