Re: [adoptionforamericansabroad] Re: UK Entry Clearance of adopted child with a US passport

  • Inge Hanson
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      Thanks Andie for the tip.  My friend said she did not even ask for the 10 year clearance, it was just given to her.  She also said that the people at the NY British Consulate were very sympathetic at the consulate and very helpful.

      Has anyone gotten a UK entry clearance from any other British consulate in the US aside from NY?

      Inge
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
        In order for a child to qualify for any sort of US social security benefits, should something happen to you, the child will need to be re-adopted in the US.  It might be something to way up against the cost (like insurance) before deciding not to go ahead with it.

        <ingehanson@n...> wrote:
        > Thanks Elaine and Maria for the emails.
        >
        > I've spoken to a friend who just brought her child into the UK
        from Armenia who she adopted through the US system.  She got his US
        passport and was able to get a 10 year settlement visa for her son
        by going to the UK Consulate in New York with all the appropriate
        paperwork.

        > I agree that if the UK authorities think we are using the US
        system to avoid going through the UK system, we'll be in trouble -
        that was the first thing the gentleman at the UK Visa office said to
        me.  I told him that as a US citizen who lived part time in the US
        that I wanted my child to be a US citizen and that was the reason I
        was going through that system, which he said made sense.  His
        concern was that I was adopting under Haitian law alone without US
        approval.  When I explained that my child would have a US passport,
        he said he thought I would be alright but did refer me to the
        international adoption services.

        > Anyway, I will look into the adoption adoption order idea as well.
        >
        > Many thanks for your input - Inge

      • rhicel1
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
          Hi Andie, and everyone else wondering about this issue-
          I couldn't agree more that we need to direct our queries to the
          embassies in the US, who know a lot more about what's what than the
          UK authorities here.
          If you have a look at www.britainusa.com, under the section
          titled "The British embassy", this gives very clear and concise
          information on what you need for a settlement visa for a child,
          including an adopted child. Or as Andie says you can call one of the
          embassies in the uS. Their numbers are also stated on the same
          website. (There are 3, in NY, LA and Chicago).
          I think the bottom line is this: The UK does not approve of
          international adoption, plain and simple. I know this from bitter
          personal experience. They will therefore do everything to convince us
          that if we reside here, we must go through their system so that they
          can make it harder for us to do and hopefully persuade us not to go
          through with it. However, we also know from the experience of others
          that this isn't true. We just need to be prepared for what will be
          asked of us when applying for entry visas for our children, after we
          have obtained US passports for them in the US.
          I think it's an excellent idea to compile this information, perhaps
          in a database on this site, for others who will go the same route in
          the future.
          As for re-adopting in the USA, I don't feel this wil be necesssary
          for any of my children. I don't intend to do it for my current
          children. After the child has lived with you in your country of
          residence for 2 years we can then apply for the child to be
          naturalised in the US. It is also possible to have your child re-
          adopted in the UK, for those of us who are permanent residents here
          or UK citizens, so that our children get UK citizenship.
          Thanks to all who have responded on this- I feel a lot more
          knowledgeable as to what I'll need to do when the time comes.
          Best wishes
          Maria
        • Sean Gates
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
            HI Maria,
            You have to get a "US" adoption order from a state. Each state has its
            own rules - most require residency of at least 6 months. I have now heard
            that Arizona and Texas don't have a residency requirement, but I haven't
            personally looked into this, as we were already in the midst of our Brit.
            homestudy.
            Good luck
            B,. regards, Elaine
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
              Thanks Elaine, I am looking into what is required for readoption in
              my state of birth, New York.
              Good luck with your home study and I do hope it goes more quickly
              than mine did!
              Best wishes
              Maria