Squirrels!!!

  • adopt_koli
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 4:40 PM
      Squirrels mean peanuts!

      That's what Koli has learned, and it got cemented well this week.  Normally I don't give them to her (supposedly the gas from peanuts can be toxic to dogs or something like that,) but they make a wonderful training aid.  (She ONLY gets them if we're working with the squirrel.)

      She's been doing well leaving them alone and we have had a not so skittish one hanging around and it gave me an idea.  We had a picnic of sorts three times in the past week.  I gave Koli a peanut and asked her to wait.  I'd go and give the squirrel some peanuts and come back and give Koli another one.  (OK, so it's more of a stay.  I have my blah moments in training.)  It got to the point that Koli and I were relaxing about six or seven feet from where the squirrel was eating.  Koli mostly kept looking to me for more peanuts.  Finally she had enough waiting and calmly sniffed her way over towards the squirrel to see if it missed any.  I called her back and the squirrel resumed munching.  Koli got another peanut from me.

      All was well.  No squirrels were gnawed on in the making of this well-mannered dog. ;^)

      ----

      Please cat people, give her a chance.  We won't know if we don't try... and her last brush with indoor cats was over two years ago when she was still vehemently going after squirrels.  (Even if you don't want to adopt her, anyone willing to test her with their cats, it would be MUCH appreciated.)
    • adopt_koli
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 8:07 PM
        Well, she was at it today.  Chasing the squirrels.  In her defense though they were playing tag with each other, it's been weeks since she's had a playdate at the other foster home, she isn't getting walked much since I've been ill the past two weeks, and my husband has been extremely busy.  She easily could have had them, but I could tell she was holding back.  Her head was up and back, with an interested but happy look on her face, tail up but relaxed.  If she had been going after them she would have been much more of a straight line, a blur, and much lower to the ground.  She had the same posture out there today as she does when playing with her doggy friends.  This was a first with squirrels.

        :-(  Poor Koli though, the squirrels didn't let her in on their bushy tail games (even though she has one too!)

        I think she could tell I wasn't happy about her going after them, but I didn't tell her to stop either.  She was after all being well behaved (considering) and this was good practice.  It's how it started out with other dogs.  One step at a time.  I figure if she can control her prey drive with wild (yummy, delicious, tantalizing,) squirrels, it might be that she'll be able to control herself around cats.

        Cheers!
        Crystal
        T.A.K.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2009
          I filled out the application to adopt your beautiful dog but for some reason cant send it? Difficulties with my e-mail, not sure if I am sending it to the right place, can you please e-mail me the correct address to send it? It would be much appreciated, thank you.
          Nicole B.

          ----------------------

          My apologies Nicole that you are having troubles sending the application. It's rare, but it does happen. Sometimes I can diagnose the problem, other times I can't. If it ends up being too much trouble we can just use it in text format through email, or I can mail you a paper copy through USPS.

          Please reply to both adopt_koli*AT*yahoo*DOT*com and adopt_koli*AT*care2*DOT*com

          I'm attaching a copy of the application to see if that can help resolve any of the problems.

          Technology has its benefits, but it sure can be frustrating some times. Thank you so VERY much for contacting us!

          And thank you for taking an interest in Koli (and most importantly in adopting!)
          Crystal S.
          T.A.K.

          This post has been edited to provide privacy and security, as well as to include T.A.K.'s reply so that this may help someone else.
        • adopt_koli
          Message 4 of 4 , May 24, 2009
            As it turned out the person was trying to send the whole Geocities webpage. Copy ONLY the text from it and there should be no problem.