DBL DOBE

  • Quentin Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2011
      Margaret asks: How can I determine if my home is "double adobe"?

      Quentin replies:

      Your location will have an influence on the answer to this question.

      In some locations such as Santa Fe, NM, "double adobe" simply refers
      to laying adobes widthwise in the wall so that the wall width is the
      length of the adobe: 14 or 16 inches not counting plaster. Real estate
      agents seem especially fond of using this terminology. Verification
      can be done with a ruler. A 10-inch wall or 12-inch including plaster
      inside and out would not be double.

      In other locations such as southern Colorado or Northern New Mexico,
      "double adobe" indicates that two widths, wythes, of adobe are used so
      that a wall would be twenty, twenty four, twenty eight or more inches
      in thickness using combinations of 10 x 14 adobes. A 16-inch wall
      would qualify an old house using 8 x 16 adobes laid in two wythes.
      Some "double adobes" have two independent adobe walls with an airspace
      in between.

      I personally only use "double adobe" to refer to two wythes.