Re: my spiritual journey so far.........

  • dawn_austintx
    Message 1 of 2074 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hi everyone! <br>I, like Connor, was raised as a
      Christian, Southern Baptist to be exact (and, also traveled
      across the U.S. at the age of 10 singing gospel music
      with my Grandfather who was an evangelist). One of my
      dearest friends was Hindu. She and I talked about church
      & so on & I approached my grandfaher and asked him
      if she and her family were going to hell because
      they didn't believe as we did. He said yes & that "all
      humans who do not accept Jesus Christ as their Lord &
      Saviour will burn in hell for all eternity."<br>At the
      age of 10, this can be devastating & I cried for her
      & her family. After a while however, I started to
      feel like my grandfather must be wrong, because her
      family were extremely loving & compassionate people &
      contributed greatly in volunteer activities around town. All
      this while, I hate to admit, my grandfather & most
      "Christians" I knew were quite racist, sexist & hypocritical.
      Even at 10, I questioned this in light of how they
      were living their lives versus what I saw around me.
      It was then that I decided that Christianity wasn't
      the path for me.<br>Obviously, 10 is a little young
      to go out on a spiritual quest, so I simply moved
      back home with my mom & stopped going to church all
      together.<br>After years of reading various philosophy books, I kept
      running into Tibetan Buddhism (or it kept running into me
      ;-) I was in Seattle in Nov. of 1993 & saw a
      collection of the Dalai Lama's personal belongings in a
      museum, I started reading up on him & his beliefs &
      started to incorporate those beliefs into my own life. It
      was so simple too, these were all things that I felt
      to be foundational truths: compassion for all living
      things, and the principles of right speach, mind, action
      & body just made so much sense. I've increased my
      studies over the last year & most recently went & saw HH
      in Washington, D.C. This man has truly changed my
      life & finally given me what I'd craved since I was a
      10-year old girl crying in fear for my best friend's
      soul. <br>I also decided to dedicate my life to these
      principles and have been looking into various programs in
      Tibetan studies & hopefully spend the rest of my life
      engaged in helping others and bringing peace to the
      world, starting with my own heart and mind--the only
      place to begin.<br><br>I'm looking forward to the chat
      this Sunday & hope everyone logs in--should be
      fun!<br><br>May all beings be free from
      living beings remain <br>Until then may I too
      abide<br>To dispel the misery of the world
    • bobgould_99
      Message 2074 of 2074 , Feb 7, 2002
        How can a monk offend so deeply?

        The Age - Melbourne - Letters to the editor

        Alexander Downer says the Dalai Lama is unwelcome to talk to the
        National Press Club because "some" may be offended. I'm offended that
        he has been treated in this way.

        Why are the words of a simple monk so threatening that requests to
        stifle him, on an official level, have succeeded? If all is so well
        in Tibet, as the Chinese Government goes to great pains to tell us,
        what is the threat?

        Surely not all our politicians support the government's stance. With
        the 30th anniversary of Australia-China diplomatic relations coming
        up, it appears the pressure is on to keep the Chinese Government
        happy.

        Ros Kuhlmann
        Loch, Victoria