links to interviews, lectures & press reports by & about HHDL

  • Bob Gould
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
      http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/tib/index.htm
      Contains links to interviews, lectures & press reports by & about HHDL

      Bob Gould
      http://home.iprimus.com.au/bobgould/

      ---

    • shiradancer
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
        Greetings everyone,

        Below is an excerpt from one of the Dalai Lama's speeches. I found
        this from a link that Bob posted.

        BUDDHISM IN PRACTICE
        by H. H. the Dalai Lama
        [This text was kindly supplied on 17th May 1993 by Phil Calvert]

        Reprinted, with permission, from the Spring 1993 issue of Snow Lion
        Newsletter and Catalog.

        In the midst of what can accurately be called "the Buddhist
        holocaust" of the 20th century, we Tibetans were forced into exile by
        the Chinese invasion of our homeland. Since then, we have been
        privileged to share the gifts of Buddhism with fellow beings of other
        nations, who all must face the countless difficulties of life in our
        restless, anxious, modern world. Perhaps the only good thing that has
        come from our tragedy is the spread of the teaching and practice of
        Tibetan Buddhism.

        Of course, it would have been much better for everyone if it could
        have happened without such an unspeakable toll of human suffering.
        Imagine, Tibetan lamas could have come out to teach in different
        countries, travelling with their visas stamped on Tibetan passports!
        Western Dharma students could have freely come into Tibet's peaceful
        mountains to enjoy her fresh air, study at her monastic universities,
        and meditate in her inspiring solitudes.

        I say this not just to complain about our ordeal but because I have
        noticed that people tend to adopt a sort of fatalism about the
        history and problem of Tibet; "Well, it had to happen that way -
        otherwise Tibetans would not have come out of isolation into the
        world." Thinking this way can make them slow to take action to try to
        improve the real Tibetan situation, to solve the Tibetan problem, the
        human problem of six million Tibetan human persons.

        Now, it is a useful practice to reflect on one's own suffering, to
        think of it as the "return of one's own karma," and thus get the
        benefit of cultivating patience with one's difficulties. But it is
        not useful, nor compassionate, to be patient about the sufferings of
        others. In fact, as Shantideva says, the bodhisattva should be
        absolutely intolerant of the sufferings of others, should find them
        utterly unbearable.

        To give a personal example, I have said that I myself have actually
        benefitted from the hardships of losing my homeland and wandering in
        exile - and I meant it. Not having a sheltered life and having to
        suffer and struggle has helped me to grow. Worldly difficulty can
        lead to faster spiritual growth and greater strength of mind, and I
        personally am quite content with my lot. I have been given the
        inspiration to take the Buddha Dharma seriously and the opportunity
        to work hard to put it into practice. I cannot complain. Yet the
        plight of my people, the six million Tibetans who look to me to help
        them, is different - I cannot forget their cries. How can I pray and
        recite the bodhisattva vow to save all beings from suffering and the
        cause of suffering, and at the same time leave anything undone that
        could actually help these suffering people who are my immediate
        responsibility? So I am always trying to do as much as I can.

        --- In admirersofhhthedalailama@y..., "Bob Gould" <bobgould_99@y...>