Explain to me a bit about the spiritual tradition of gurus and disciples - 2

  • jagbir singh
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 23, 2006
      --- In adishakti_sahaja_yoga@yahoogroups.com, "jagbir singh"
      <adishakti_org@y...> wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > i received an email that read:
      >
      > "Dear Jagbir,
      >
      > Please could you explain to me a bit about the spiritual tradition
      > of gurus and disciples; and how this all works in SY? Do all
      > people need gurus for teaching and help; from my own experiences I
      > think that they probably do? What I mean is, people really need a
      > teacher for guidance along the path, someone very advanced and
      > experienced to tell and ask about specific problems and personal
      > situations and difficulties, a yoga master. Especially people from
      > the Western cultures and from restrictive religious backgrounds
      > need help understanding the Eastern concepts of spirituality, and
      > need personal guidance at times."

      For part 2 i have taken "Osho, Bhagwan Rajneesh, and the Lost
      Truth", a false guru Shri Mataji warned in the early 70s, many years
      before the world knew what was taking place. At that time Osho was
      at the peak of his guru business and few paid any attention to Her.
      (Thanks Semira for this piece.)

      i like the part where Osho "once undiplomatically proclaimed to the
      American media that everything Jesus said was "just crazy." " Any
      guru - past, present or future - who does not recognize Shri Jesus
      is still whirling in the wheel of rebirth. (Not recognizing an
      Incarnation like Shri Jesus is plain ignorance, a red flag that tags
      false gurus and should warn seekers/disciples. Explaining the
      nourishing parables of Christ requires far more enlightenment and,
      of course, Divine authority.)

      No guru or religious institution till date has been able to reveal
      and make comprehensible sense of the most secret of Jesus' teachings
      as Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi. Only a divine personality sent by the
      Divine can do so. And the Comforter has fulfilled exactly what Shri
      Jesus' promised to humanity, teaching us all that He could not two
      millennia ago. Shri Mataji is indeed a Sadguru, and much more.

      jagbir

      Osho, Bhagwan Rajneesh, and the Lost Truth

      Acharya Rajneesh was only 39 years old when I first met him at his
      Bombay apartment in December of 1970. With long beard and large
      dark eyes, he looked like a painting of Lao-Tse come to life (see
      picture of Rajneesh at his best). Before meeting Rajneesh I had
      spent time with a number of Eastern gurus without being satisfied
      with the quality of their teachings. I wanted an enlightened guide
      who could bridge the gap between East and West and reveal the true
      esoteric secrets without what I considered to be the excess baggage
      of Indian, Tibetan, or Japanese culture. Rajneesh was the answer to
      my quest for those deeper meanings. He described for me in vivid
      detail everything I wanted to know about the inner worlds and he had
      the power of immense being to back up his words. At 21 years old I
      was naive about life and the nature of man and assumed that
      everything he said must be true.

      Rajneesh spoke on a high level of intelligence and his powerful
      presence emanated from his body like a soft light that healed all
      wounds. While sitting close during a small gathering of friends,
      Rajneesh took me on a rapidly vertical inner journey that almost
      seemed to push me out of my physical body. His vast presence lifted
      everyone around him higher without the slightest effort on their
      part. The days I spent at his Bombay apartment were like days spent
      in heaven. He had it all, and he was giving it away for free!

      Rajneesh possessed the astounding power of telepathy and direct
      energy transmission, which he used nobly to bring comfort and
      inspiration to his disciples. Many phony gurus have claimed to have
      mysterious abilities, but Rajneesh had them for real. Those who
      came near soon learned of them through direct contact with the
      miraculous. One or two face to face meetings with Rajneesh was all
      it took to turn doubting Western skepticism into awed admiration and
      devotion.

      One year earlier I had meet another enlightened teacher known
      to the world as Jiddu Krishnamurti (see photograph of J.
      Krishnamurti). J. Krishnamurti could barely give a coherent lecture
      and constantly scolded his audience by referring to their "shoddy
      little minds." I loved his frankness, and his words were true, but
      his subtly cantankerous nature was not very helpful in transferring
      his knowledge to others.

      Listening to Krishnamurti speak was like eating a sandwich made
      of bread and sand. I found the best way to enjoy his talks was to
      completely ignore his words and quietly absorb his presence. Using
      that technique I would become so expanded after a lecture that I
      could barely talk for hours afterwards. J. Krishnamurti, while
      fully enlightened and uniquely lovable, will be recorded in history
      as a teacher with very poor verbal communication skills. Unlike the
      highly eloquent Rajneesh, however, Krishnamurti never committed any
      crime, never pretended to be more than he was, and never used other
      human beings selfishly.

      Life is complex and multilayered and my naive illusions about
      the phenomena of perfect enlightenment faded with the years. It
      became clear that enlightened people are as fallible as anyone.
      They are expanded human beings, not perfect human beings, and they
      live and breathe with many of the same faults and vulnerabilities we
      ordinary humans must endure.

      Skeptics ask how I can claim that Rajneesh was enlightened
      given his scandals and disastrous public image. I can only say that
      Rajneesh's spiritual presence was identical to that of J.
      Krishnamurti, who was recognized as enlightened by every high
      Tibetan Lama and revered Hindu sage of the day. I do sympathize
      with the skeptics, however. If I had not known Rajneesh personally,
      I would never believe it myself.

      Rajneesh pushed the envelope of enlightenment in both positive
      and negative directions. He was the best of the best and the worst
      of the worst. He was a great teacher in his early years, with
      innovative meditation techniques that worked with dramatic power
      (see explanation and warning about Osho's Dynamic Meditation
      technique near the bottom of the page). Rajneesh lifted thousands
      of seekers to higher levels of consciousness and detailed Eastern
      religions and meditation techniques with luminous clarity (see
      Rajneesh leading group meditation).

      One false move. One grand error.

      Acharya Rajneesh was born on December 11th, 1931, in the
      village of Kuchwada in central India. The term 'Acharya' means a
      religious teacher and 'Rajneesh' means moon. Rajneesh's actual
      legal name was Chandra Mohan Jain, 'Rajneesh' being only an
      unofficial nickname acquired in childhood. When the man I knew as
      Acharya Rajneesh suddenly changed his name to Bhagwan Shree
      Rajneesh, I was dismayed. The famous enlightened sage Ramana
      Maharshi was called Bhagwan by his disciples as a spontaneous term
      of endearment. Rajneesh simply declared to the world that everyone
      should start calling him Bhagwan, a title that can mean anything
      from 'divine one' to God. 'Shree' is an honorific term for master,
      so his new name could be translated as God Master Moon. Rajneesh
      became irritated when I once politely corrected his
      mispronunciations of English words after a lecture, so I felt in no
      position to tell him that I thought his new name was inappropriate
      and dishonest. That change in name marked a turning point in
      Rajneesh's level of honesty and was the first of many big lies to
      come.

      Rajneesh lived in an ivory tower, rarely leaving his room
      unless to give a lecture, his life experience cushioned by throngs
      of adoring devotees (see photograph of Rajneesh in his room in
      Bombay). His isolation became even more complete when he moved from
      his small Bombay apartment to a large and luxurious estate in Poona,
      India, in 1974. As most human beings who are treated as kings,
      Rajneesh lost touch with the world of the common man. In his
      artificial and insulated existence, Rajneesh made one fundamental
      error in judgment which would destroy his teaching.

      "What you tell them is true, but what I tell them (the useful lies)
      is good for them." Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh 1975

      Rajneesh calculated that the majority of the earth's population
      was on such a low level of consciousness that they could not
      understand nor tolerate the real truths. He thus decided on a
      policy of spreading seemingly useful lies to bring inspiration to
      his disciples and, on occasion, to stress his students in unique
      situations for their own personal growth. This was his downfall and
      the prime reason he will be remembered by most historians as just
      another phony guru. Rajneesh's teachings were full of intentional
      lies and unintentional falsehoods, born out of his own ignorance and
      gullibility (see Do you have a soul?). His psychic presence,
      however, was 100% real and very powerful.

      Acharya, Bhagwan Shree, Osho: all the empowering names taken by
      Rajneesh could not cover up the fact that he was still a human
      being. He had ambitions and desires, sexual and material, just like
      everyone else. All living enlightened humans have desires. All
      enlightened men have had public lives that we know about, and all
      have had private lives that remained secret. The vast majority of
      enlightened men do nothing but good for the world. Only Rajneesh,
      to my knowledge, became a criminal in both the legal and ethical
      sense of the word.

      Rajneesh never lost the ultimate existential truth of being.
      He only lost the ordinary concept of truth that any normal adult can
      understand. He rationalized his constant lying as "lefthanded
      Tantra," but that too was dishonest. Rajneesh lied to save face, to
      avoid taking responsibility for his own mistakes, and to gain
      personal power. Those lies had nothing to do with Tantra or any
      selfless acts of kindness. What is real in this world is fact, and
      Rajneesh misrepresented fact on a daily basis. Rajneesh was no
      simple con-man like so many others. Rajneesh knew everything that
      Buddha knew; and he was everything that Buddha was. It was his loss
      of respect for ordinary truthfulness that destroyed his teaching.

      Rajneesh's health collapsed in his early thirties. Even before
      reaching middle age Rajneesh suffered reoccurring bouts of
      weakness. During his youthful college years when he should have
      been at a peak of vigor, Rajneesh often had to sleep 12 to 14 hours
      a day due to an unexplained illness. Rajneesh suffered from what
      Europeans call Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), or what Americans
      call Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). His classic symptoms included
      the obvious fatigue, strange allergies, recurrent low grade fevers,
      photophobia, orthostatic intolerance (the inability to stand for a
      normal period of time), insomnia, body pain, and extreme sensitivity
      to smells and chemicals, a condition doctors now refer to
      as "multiple chemical sensitivity."

      Rajneesh's trademark chemical sensitivity was so severe that he
      instructed his guards to sniff people for unpleasant odors before
      they were allowed to visit him in his quarters. People with Gulf
      War Syndrome, MS, and other neurological diseases are also often
      highly sensitive to chemicals and smells. Rajneesh's poor health
      and strange symptoms were a product of real neurological damage, not
      some esoteric supersensitivity caused by his enlightenment.
      Rajneesh had Type II diabetes, asthma, severe back pain, and most
      likely fibromyalgia.

      Rajneesh was constantly sick and frail from the time I first
      met him in 1970 until his death on January 19th, 1990. He thought
      he was getting a different cold or flu every week. In reality, he
      suffered from a chronic neurological illness, Chronic Fatigue
      Syndrome, with flu like symptoms that can last a lifetime. Rajneesh
      could not stand on his feet for long periods of time without
      becoming lightheaded because he suffered damage to his autonomic
      nervous system which controls blood pressure. This neurally
      mediated hypotension (low blood pressure while standing) causes
      chronic fatigue and can lower IQ due to a lack of sufficient blood
      and oxygen being pumped to the brain (brain hypoxia). In the 1970s
      Rajneesh often complained of becoming lightheaded immediately upon
      standing. During the final few months of his life in Poona,
      Rajneesh frequently passed out into complete unconsciousness.

      Rajneesh used prescription drugs, mainly Valium (diazepam), as
      an analgesic for his aches and pains and to counter the symptoms of
      dysautonomia (dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system). He took
      the maximum recommended dose of 60 milligrams per day. Rajneesh
      also inhaled nitrous oxide (N2O) mixed with pure oxygen (see Osho in
      the Dental Chair), which he claimed increased his creativity (see
      dangers of N2O). The nitrous oxide probably did relieve the
      sensation of severe exhaustion and suffocation patients with Chronic
      Fatigue Syndrome often feel, but it did nothing for the quality of
      his judgment. Naive about the powerful effects of drugs and
      overconfident about his own ability to fight off their negative
      effects, Rajneesh succumbed to addiction.

      A number of disciples have claimed that Rajneesh was so
      intoxicated at his Oregon ranch in the 1980s that he sometimes
      urinated in the halls of his own home, just as heroin addicts and
      common drunks often do. I believe this to be true as the last time
      I saw Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh he was inebriated to the point of
      becoming physically ugly. He had the same washed-out look and
      foolish behavior I had witnessed in addicts while working at a
      methadone clinic in the United States. Rajneesh had miraculous
      mental powers, but he was an ordinary human being physically and
      could not tolerate the devastating effects of large doses of
      tranquilizers.

      On top of Rajneesh's physical illness, his massive intake of
      Valium caused paranoia and greatly reduced reasoning power. Valium
      addicts often think the CIA or other unseen villains are plotting
      against them, so it is not surprising that he imagined he was
      poisoned by the United States Government. His reasoning power
      became so damaged that Rajneesh actually considered moving to Russia
      to combine his totalitarian form of spirituality with Russian
      communism, an idea no sane man could possibly entertain.
      Historically, Valium has been the drug of choice for CFS sufferers
      as it masks the unnerving symptoms of dysautonomia and helps bring
      sleep. Rajneesh suffered from insomnia, yet another classic symptom
      of CFS.

      Rajneesh was a physically ill man who became mentally corrupt.
      His brief experimentation with LSD only made matters worse.
      Rajneesh's drug use and addiction was a problem of his own making,
      not a government conspiracy. Rajneesh died in 1990 with heart
      failure listed as the official cause of death. It is probable that
      the physical decline Rajneesh experienced during his incarceration
      in American jails was due to a combination of withdrawal symptoms
      from Valium and an aggravation of his ME/CFS due to stress and
      exposure to allergens.

      After Rajneesh's humiliation and downfall in America, he
      declared that he was "Jesus crucified by Ronald Reagan's America."
      In truth, Rajneesh was a drug addicted guru who self-destructed
      through his own wrong actions. Comparing himself to Jesus was
      doubly dishonest as he himself had no respect for Jesus. He once
      undiplomatically proclaimed to the American media that everything
      Jesus said was "just crazy."

      "I went through the abandoned city of Rajneeshpuram and saw
      things that were almost unbelievable. Ma Anand Sheela's
      headquarters, a group of mobile homes pieced together, was a hive of
      secret doors and hidden tunnels, her private room a command post
      with electronic listening gear tapped into every room in the
      development. The Bhagwan's parquet-paneled quarters had nitrogen
      oxide spigots by his bedside, and was surrounded by huge bathrooms
      with multiple showers." - Jim Weaver (former Oregon Congressman)

      Upon his sudden death in 1990 there was much media speculation
      that Rajneesh had committed suicide by drug overdose. As no
      disciple has confessed to giving Rajneesh a lethal injection, there
      is no hard evidence to support the suicide theory. A compelling
      circumstantial case could be made for such a scenario, however, with
      suicide provoked by Rajneesh's constant ill health and
      disheartenment over the loss of Vivek, his greatest love.

      Vivek had taken a fatal overdose of sleeping pills in a Bombay
      hotel one month before Rajneesh's passing. Pointedly, Vivek decided
      to kill herself just before his birthday celebration. Rajneesh had
      threatened suicide at the Oregon commune several times, hanging his
      death over the heads of his disciples as a threat unless they obeyed
      his wishes. On his last day on earth Rajneesh is reported to have
      said "Let me go. My body has become a hell for me."

      The rumor that Rajneesh was poisoned with thallium by
      operatives of the United States Government is entirely fictional and
      contradicted by undeniable fact. One of the obvious symptoms of
      thallium poisoning is dramatic hair loss within seven days of
      exposure. Rajneesh died with a full beard and no exceptional
      baldness other than ordinary male pattern baldness at the top of his
      head. Radiation poisoning, another fictional cause of his illness,
      also causes dramatic hair loss.

      The symptoms which may have led Rajneesh's doctors to suspect
      poisoning were in fact common symptoms of dysautonomia caused by
      ME/CFS. Those symptoms can include ataxia (uncoordinated
      movements), numbness, standing tachycardia (rapid heart rate upon
      standing), paresthesia (sensations of prickling and itching),
      nausea, and irritable bowel syndrome, which causes one to alternate
      between constipation and diarrhea.

      The only proven cases of poisoning related to Rajneesh were
      carried out by Rajneesh's own sannyasins in 1984. A sannyasin is an
      initiated disciple, one who takes sannyas. There were 751 poison
      victims, including women and small children, at ten different
      restaurants in the small city of The Dalles, Oregon. Rajneesh
      sannyasins attempted to take over the Wasco County Commission by
      making so many people ill on election day that they could elect
      their own sannyasin candidates (see the Rajneesh bioterrorism
      newspaper story).

      Rajneesh disciples poisoned salad bars with salmonella
      bacteria, which was mixed into salad dressings, fruits and
      vegetables, and the restaurants' coffee creamers. Forty-five people
      became so ill they had to be hospitalized, thus making the case the
      largest germ warfare attack in United States history. Sannyasins
      were later suspected of trying to kill a Wasco County executive by
      spiking his water with an unknown poison. Michael Sullivan, a
      Jefferson County District Attorney, also became ill after leaving a
      cup of coffee unattended as Rajneesh sannyasins roamed the
      courthouse. Rajneesh never bothered to apologize to any of the
      people who were poisoned by his own trusted disciples.

      Members of Rajneesh's staff were poisoned by Ma Anand Sheela,
      Rajneesh's personal secretary. Sheela had the habit of poisoning
      people who either knew too much or who had simply fallen out of her
      favor. Sheela spent two and a half years in a Federal medium
      security prison for her crimes, while Rajneesh pled guilty to
      immigration fraud and was given a ten year suspended sentence, fined
      $400,000., and deported from the United States of America (see
      Rajneesh and Sheela's mugshots).

      Rajneesh felt that teaching ethics was unnecessary because
      meditation would automatically lead to good behavior. The actions
      of Rajneesh himself and his disciples proves that theory to be
      completely false. Rajneesh taught that you should do as you please
      because life is both a dream and a joke. This attitude led to the
      classically fascist belief that one can become so high and mighty
      that one is beyond the need for old fashioned values and honest
      ethical behavior.

      Those unfamiliar with the Rajneesh story can read the book,
      Bhagwan: The God That Failed, published by Saint Martin's Press and
      written by Hugh Milne (Shivamurti), a close disciple of Rajneesh
      during his Poona and Oregon years. Mr. Milne's book is largely
      corroborated by Satya Bharti Franklin's book, Promise of Paradise: A
      Woman's Intimate Life With 'Bhagwan' Osho Rajneesh, published by
      Barrytown/Station Hill Press. Both books are out of print but
      secondhand copies can be obtained through Amazon.Com and
      Amazon.Com.UK. There have been several other tell-all books
      published on the same subject matter, but I have not read them and I
      do not know the authors, so I do not mention them by name here.

      Regarding Bhagwan: The God That Failed, I can verify many of
      the facts Mr. Milne states about the life of Rajneesh in Bombay and
      Poona, though I have no first hand knowledge of the tragic events at
      the Oregon commune. My contacts with people who were there lead me
      to believe that most of the facts Mr. Milne presents of the Oregon
      era are also highly accurate. Hugh Milne is due great credit for a
      well written and entertaining book which is a sincere effort at
      complete honesty. On a few occasions, however, I differ from Mr.
      Milne's interpretations of what the facts he presents actually mean.

      Rajneesh did not suffer from "hypochondria," as Mr. Milne
      suggested. Rajneesh had a very real neurological disease which he
      mistook for frequent viral infections. Rajneesh became unusually
      afraid of germs only due to his understandable medical ignorance. I
      fully agree with Mr. Milne that Rajneesh suffered
      from "megalomania," however, and will add that the short statured
      Rajneesh had a Napoleonic, obsessive and compulsive personality.

      Mr. Milne suggests that Rajneesh used "hypnosis" to manipulate
      his disciples. Rajneesh had a melodic and naturally hypnotic voice
      which would be a great asset to any public speaker. In my opinion,
      however, Rajneesh's power came from the intense energy field of the
      universal cosmic consciousness which he channeled like a lens.
      Hindus call this universal energy phenomena the Atman. As a
      Westerner, I prefer more scientific terms and describe the Atman as
      a highly evolved manifestation of time-energy-space, the TES (see
      The TES Hypothesis).

      Hugh Milne's book records a day when Rajneesh admitted, while
      under the influence of nitrous oxide, that there is no such thing
      as 'enlightenment.' I cannot confirm this event through other
      contacts, but I assume Rajneesh was simply stating what U.G.
      Krishnamurti has said all along; that the storybook fiction we
      accept of a perfect enlightenment, full of infallible wisdom, is a
      big lie. A powerful and expansive conscious state does exist in
      humans who achieve it, but the way this condition is described by
      the religious establishment is an egocentric fiction, contrived by
      spiritual leaders to control the masses for their own personal
      gain.

      Enlightenment is not something you own. It is something you
      channel.

      Whatever term you use for the phenomena of enlightenment, it is
      scientifically accurate to say that no human being has any power of
      their own. Even the chemical energy of our metabolism is borrowed
      from the sun, which beams light to the earth, which is then
      converted by plants through photosynthesis into the food we eat.
      You may get your bread from the supermarket, but the caloric energy
      it contains originated from thermonuclear reactions deep in the
      center of a nearby star. Our physical bodies run on star power.
      Any "spiritual" energy we channel also comes from far beyond, from
      all sides of the universe, from the complete TES, from beyond the
      oceans of galaxies and onto infinity. No human being owns the Atman
      and no one can speak for the TES.

      The Void has no ambition or personality whatsoever, so Rajneesh
      could only speak for his own animal mind. The animal mind may want
      its disciples to "take over the whole world," but the Void does not
      care, because it is beyond any motivation. The phenomena we called
      Rajneesh, Bhagwan, and Osho, was only a temporary lens of cosmic
      energy, not the full cosmos itself.

      Rajneesh, as the Greek-Armenian mystic George Gurdjieff (see
      photo of Gurdjieff), often used the power of the Atman for clearly
      personal gain. Both men used their cosmic consciousness to
      overwhelm and seduce women, which was largely a harmless affair in
      my opinion. Gurdjieff was ashamed of his own behavior in this
      regard and vowed many times during his life to end this practice,
      which was a combination of ordinary male lust backed up by the
      potent advantage of oceanic super-mental power. Rajneesh went even
      further and used his channeled cosmic energy to manipulate masses of
      people to gain a kind of quasi-political status and to aggrandize
      himself far beyond what was honest or helpful to his disciples. In
      Oregon, Rajneesh declared to the media that "My religion is the only
      religion!" Diplomacy and modesty were not his strong points.

      To my knowledge George Gurdjieff never reached the extremes of
      self-indulgence of Rajneesh and even warned his disciples not to
      have blind faith in him. Gurdjieff wanted his students to be free
      and independent with the combined abilities of clear mental
      reasoning and cosmic consciousness. Rajneesh, by contrast, seemed
      to believe that only his thoughts and ideas were of value because
      only he was "enlightened." This was a grand error in judgment and
      revealed a basic flaw in his character. Unfortunately, when
      Rajneesh achieved the ability to fully channel the power of the
      Atman he failed to apply the needed wisdom of self-restraint. His
      human mind so rebelled against Asian asceticism that he failed to
      ensure that his borrowed power was only used for the good of
      others. Rajneesh was driven by personal ambition, not just
      compassion.

      "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." Henry Kissinger

      Rajneesh left India in 1981, in part to escape paying a four
      million dollar Indian income tax bill. As he disembarked a 747
      jetliner to take his first footsteps in the USA, Rajneesh declared
      that "I am the Messiah America has been waiting for" (Milne,
      Bhagwan: The God That Failed). After a brief stay in a newly
      acquired castle styled home in Montclair, New Jersey, Rajneesh
      bought the 64,000 acre Big Muddy cattle ranch near the small town of
      Antelope in eastern Oregon for six million dollars (see plaque in
      honor of local resistance to Rajneesh invasion of Antelope,
      Oregon).

      Rajneesh created his Oregon desert commune from his own
      powerful mind and named it "Rajneeshpuram." He made himself the
      ultimate dictator, his picture placed everywhere as in an Orwellian
      bad dream. J. Krishnamurti called Rajneesh a "criminal" and
      Rajneeshpuram "a concentration camp under the dictatorship of
      enlightenment." Poonjaji, Ramana Maharshi's famous student (see
      photo of Poonjaji), refered to Rajneesh as "a pig" for building
      himself up in the eyes of his disciples to dishonest proportions.
      Poonjaji's position was that even the enlightened remain human
      beings, not saints or superheros, and that we all share the same
      cosmic being, no matter what our class and social standing.

      The maverick anti-guru U.G. Krishnamurti (see photo of U.G.)
      was even more critical of Rajneesh. During the mid 1970s Rajneesh
      deemphasized his own meditation methods and started selling Western
      style group therapies as a way to gain income. It was difficult to
      make money from authentic meditation techniques as they are all easy
      to learn and can be done alone, without the aid of a teacher. One
      of the groups Rajneesh sold to students was the "Tantra" group,
      which was basically just male and female disciples having sex with
      each other. U.G. Krishnamurti publicly called Rajneesh the "worlds
      biggest pimp" because "he made money from the boys and the girls and
      he kept it for himself." In 1971 Rajneesh told me directly in a
      face to face meeting that U.G. Krishnamurti was "realized." After
      much public criticism from U.G., Rajneesh counter attacked by
      calling U.G. a "phony guru."

      Guru wars aside, the totalitarian atmosphere of Rajneeshpuram
      was the main reason I did not stay at the commune beyond two brief
      visits. I was interested in meditation, not in a big prison camp
      where human beings were treated like insects with no intelligence of
      their own. Rajneesh put such a high emphasis on his disciples
      following orders without question that they did just that when Ma
      Anand Sheela, Rajneesh's personal secretary, gave absurd orders to
      commit crimes which Rajneesh himself (hopefully) would have never
      approved of.

      When you decapitate the intelligence of human beings you create
      a situation that is highly dangerous and destructive to the human
      spirit. You cannot save people from their egos by demanding "total
      surrender." The anti-democratic technique of forcing blind
      obedience did not work well for Hitler, Stalin, or for Bhagwan Shree
      Rajneesh. Germany, Russia, and the Rajneesh Oregon commune were all
      destroyed because of authoritarian imperial rule. A diversity of
      opinion is always healthy because it acts as an effective
      counterbalance to the myopic arrogance of those who would be king.
      Rajneesh never understood this truth of history and referred to
      democracy scornfully as "mob-ocracy." Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh was an
      imperial aristocrat, never a generous and open minded democrat, and
      he put his contempt for the democratic process into highly visible
      action in Oregon.

      In an attempt to subvert local Wasco County elections, Rajneesh
      had his sannyasins bus in almost 2,000 homeless people from major
      American cities in an effort to unfairly rig the voting process in
      his favor. Some of the new voters were mentally ill and were given
      beer laced with drugs to keep them manageable. Credible allegations
      have been made that one or more of the imported street people died
      due to overdosing on the beer-drug mixture, but to my knowledge that
      charge has not been conclusively proven. Rajneesh's voting fraud
      scheme failed and the derelicts and mental patients were returned to
      the streets after the election was over, used and then abandoned.
      If Rajneesh sannyasins had only held truth above all instead of
      obedience to guru above all, then no crimes would have been
      committed and the commune might still be in existence today.

      Rajneesh used people, spoke out of both sides of his mouth, and
      betrayed the trust of his own disciples. This betrayal caused
      Vivek, his longtime girlfriend and companion, to commit suicide by
      taking an overdose of sleeping pills. Rajneesh even lied about her
      death, slandering his greatest love in her grave by falsely claiming
      that she was chronically depressed due to some intrinsic emotional
      instability. Vivek was never depressed during the years I knew her
      and she was the most radiant women I have ever known (see photo of
      Vivek).

      Vivek was a glowing student of meditation, but her only
      meditation method was being with Rajneesh and absorbing his
      tremendous energy. When her one true love collapsed into insanity
      she took her own life out of overwhelming grief. Rajneesh drove her
      to suicide because she could not understand nor tolerate his mental
      decline and collapse. Rajneesh lied about her death to avoid taking
      responsibility for his own bizarre behavior, which was the
      underlying cause of Vivek's despair.

      The same disciple who administered nitrous oxide to Rajneesh
      has spread negative rumors about Vivek, claiming that she was not a
      meditative person, as himself. He also claims that Vivek committed
      suicide because she was depressed about reaching the age of forty
      and that she suffered from a hormonal imbalance. This same
      sannyasin denied to me emphatically that he gave Rajneesh
      irresponsible levels of nitrous oxide, but later admitted to others
      that he gave Rajneesh one to two hour nitrous oxide "treatments"
      every day for five months. That level of exposure is clearly drug
      abuse with no legitimate medical justification.

      The young Acharya Rajneesh started his life as a teacher who
      condemned false gurus and ended his life as one of the most
      deceitful gurus the world has ever known. The difficult fact to
      comprehend is that he was enlightened when he was an anti-guru
      puritan and he was still enlightened when he was the ultimate
      corrupt, self-indulgent guru himself. This seemingly irreconcilable
      contradiction is the real reason I write this essay. I love to go
      into uncharted territory where others fear to tread.

      When you combine man's natural tendency for selfishness with an
      ivory tower lifestyle, you have a situation where ethical behavior
      can appear to be optional. Combine the unhealthy atmosphere of self-
      deification with a debilitating progressive illness that lowers IQ,
      and on top of that add drug abuse, then you have a cliff that even
      an enlightened man could fall from. That fall could happen only if
      the enlightened man makes one wrong choice, one false move, from
      both the heart and from the mind.

      Bhagwan's wrong choice was to disregard truthfulness in favor
      of what he thought were useful lies. Once you make that wrong turn,
      away from ordinary straightforward truth, you have lost your way.
      No human being can disregard fact on a regular basis without finding
      himself in a sea of turmoil, because by discarding fact you discard
      the ground beneath your feet. Little lies grow into big lies and
      the now hidden truth becomes your enemy, not your friend and ally.

      Rajneesh overestimated himself and underestimated his own
      disciples. The real seekers around him could have easily handled
      the truth and were already motivated without the need for
      propaganda. Rajneesh had been a famous guru for such a long time
      that he came to see himself in grandiose terms. He was indeed an
      historic figure, but he was not the perfect superman he pretended to
      be. No one is! His disciples deserved honesty, but he fed them
      fairy tales "to give them faith."

      Jiddu Krishnamurti had been more honest than Rajneesh in
      repeating relentlessly that "there is no authority" due to the
      intrinsic nature of the cosmos. Ardent Rajneesh disciples didn't
      heed Krishnamurti's warnings and put blind faith in a man who
      claimed to be all-seeing, to have all the answers, and who once in
      1975 brashly stated that he had never made a single mistake in his
      entire life. Clearly, Rajneesh made as many mistakes as any human
      being. Just as obviously, his basic existential enlightenment was
      no guarantee of functional pragmatic wisdom.

      While Rajneesh was a brilliant philosopher he was a lost babe
      in the woods when it came to the world of science. Worried about
      worldwide overpopulation, Rajneesh pressured his disciples to
      undergo medical sterilization procedures. Unfortunately, he did not
      consider the demographics of population growth. The current
      population expansion is largely a phenomena of poor third world
      nations, not a problem originating in the USA, Canada, and Europe
      where birth rates are actually falling. North America and Europe
      are only experiencing population increases due to legal and illegal
      immigration from third world nations. Having his Western disciples
      medically sever their reproductive capabilities only added to this
      imbalance and many former disciples now regret they complied without
      question to his thoughtless edicts.

      Discouraging followers from having families is a common device
      of gurus to keep disciples from spending money on children, rather
      than handing their cash over to the guru himself. Childless
      disciples make better workers and are usually more subservient.
      Thus medical sterilization fit into Rajneesh's business plan and
      desire to create an army of followers who felt that "only the
      relationship to guru is important."

      In the 1980s Rajneesh declared that the AIDS epidemic would
      soon kill three quarters of the world's population and that a major
      nuclear war was just around the corner. He thought he could escape
      nuclear holocaust by building underground shelters and slow the
      spread of AIDS by having his disciples wash their hands with alcohol
      before eating meals. His more reasoned admonition was for his
      disciples to always use condoms. To enforce his sexual rules, which
      also involved elaborate instructions on the use of rubber gloves
      during sexual encounters, Rajneesh encouraged his sannyasins to spy
      on each other, reporting the names of those who failed to conform to
      his orders.

      During his earlier Poona days Rajneesh stated that we are
      attracted to beautiful people because their outer beauty represents
      the inner beauty of their souls, as it is the soul which creates the
      physical body and mind. Science knows as fact that DNA creates the
      body and brain, not any mysterious and immaterial "soul." Outward
      beauty does not even guarantee a sane mind. Ted Bundy, the infamous
      serial killer, was quite handsome and charming outwardly, yet he is
      estimated to have murdered between 35 and 50 women just for the
      trill of it (see photographs of Ted Bundy).

      The disaster of Rajneesh appointing himself the singular great
      brain of the universe was compounded by his lack of real world
      reasoning skills, and this was the case even before he started
      taking large amounts of Valium (see The Ridiculous Teachings of
      Wrong Way Rajneesh). Rajneesh had no understanding of, or
      appreciation for, the scientific method. If he thought something
      was true, in his own mind, that made it true. Rajneesh could weave
      magnificent philosophical dreams and addict his disciples to
      imagined worlds of spiritual adventure, but those dreams did not
      have to stand any empirical test of truth. In the world of science
      you have to prove what you say is true through testing. In the
      world of philosophy and religion you can say anything you desire and
      throw caution to the wind. If your words sound good to the masses
      they will sell, whether they are fact or fiction (see Common Lies of
      the Phony World of Mystics).

      Rajneesh ruled his desert empire as a warlord with his own
      private army and puppet government. His visions and ideas, faulty
      or not, were taken without question as the word of God. His
      disciples were judged by their ability to surrender to his will and
      any opposing views were branded as an unspiritual lack of faith. As
      conditions at the ranch became progressively more unpleasant, a
      number of sannyasins escaped by hiding in the back of outgoing
      trucks. Their quest for freedom upset Rajneesh, who demanded that
      the disillusioned must now ask his permission to leave. Rajneesh
      then dramatically threatened suicide if others escaped by stealthful
      means.

      Rajneesh's poor reasoning became even more apparent during and
      after the Oregon commune scandal. After being jailed and then
      deported from the USA, Rajneesh angrily declared America "a wretched
      country" and Americans "subhuman," ignoring the fact that it was he,
      an Indian, who pled guilty to felony immigration fraud and that it
      was Sheela, an Indian, who ordered the most serious crimes which
      brought his empire to ruin. Even in his fifties Rajneesh was still
      lying to get his own way, and still demanding to be the center of
      attention. In 1988, suffering from drug and illness induced
      dementia, Rajneesh publicly pouted that his box of toys, his
      expensive car collection and jewel encrusted watches, had been taken
      away.

      Rajneesh's disciples thought they were following an
      authoritative "enlightened master." In reality they had been
      mislead by a highly fallible human animal who was still a little boy
      at heart. Rajneesh had not only misrepresented himself personally,
      but he misrepresented the phenomena of enlightenment itself. The
      idealized fantasy of perfect enlightenment does not exist anywhere
      in the real world and it has never existed. The universe is far too
      big and complex for anyone to be its "master." We are all subjects,
      not masters, and those who pretend to be infallible and all-knowing
      end up looking even more the fool in the end.

      "Nature does not use anything as a model. It is only interested in
      perfecting the species. It is trying to create perfect species and
      not perfect beings." U.G. Krishnamurti

      The famous sages of old seem perfect to us now because they
      have become larger than life myths. The long passage of time has
      allowed their followers to effectively cover up their guru's flaws,
      just as Rajneesh disciples are currently rewriting and censoring
      history to cover up Rajneesh's great failings. Rajneesh was never
      more infallible than any other human being. What we call
      enlightenment is not a cure-all for faults and frailties that cling
      to human animals even after they achieve maximum possible
      consciousness, which is perhaps a more realistic definition of the
      term 'enlightenment.'

      The contradiction of corruption and enlightenment can occur
      because the individual is only the lens of enlightenment, not the
      source of cosmic power itself. The enlightened only allow universal
      energy to pass through them unblocked, untouched, and
      uncontaminated. In a way, no one ever really becomes enlightened
      personally. Enlightenment happens at the place where you are
      standing, but you cannot own it or possess it. All the words of so-
      called enlightened men come from the human brain which interprets
      the phenomena of enlightenment like a translator. The words do not
      come from the enlightenment itself. By definition enlightenment
      cannot speak. It is absolutely silent and beyond any need to
      speak.

      Rajneesh died addicted to Valium and he experienced all the
      negative symptoms of drug addiction, which included slurred speech,
      paranoia, poor judgment, and dramatically lowered intelligence. At
      one point his paranoia and confusion were so great that he thought a
      group of German cultists had cast an evil spell on him. His
      physical disabilities and drug abuse were simply more than his
      mortal brain could take. His biggest flaw, his disregard for the
      ordinary concept of truth, was his ultimate downfall and for that
      crime he must be held fully responsible with no excuses.

      "Never give a sucker an even break." W.C. Fields

      Rajneesh lied when he said he had enlightened disciples. He
      lied when he said he never made a mistake. At the end of his life
      he was forced to admit that he was fallible as his list of bungles
      had grown to monstrous proportions. He lied by pretending the
      therapy groups run by his disciples were not mainly just a money
      making device. Rajneesh lied about breaking United States
      immigration laws and only admitted the truth when he was presented
      with overwhelming documented evidence against him. He lied by
      saying that he was adopted in a phony scheme to get permanent
      residence status. Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh was no bank robber, but he
      was quite literally a pathological liar. The ridiculous thing is
      that all of his lies were totally unnecessary and
      counterproductive. As conventional and square as it may sound,
      honesty really is the best policy!

      Rajneesh lied when he claimed he was not responsible for the
      horrors of the Oregon commune because he hand picked Ma Anand Sheela
      and the people who committed the major crimes of conspiracy to
      commit murder, poisoning, first-degree assault, burglary, arson, and
      wiretapping. Rajneesh himself gave direct verbal approval for
      Sheela's illegal bugging and wiretapping of his own disciples. The
      fact that Rajneesh did not order or have pre-knowledge (hopefully)
      of the more serious crimes does not mean that he was not ethically
      responsible for them. Rajneesh did not turn against Sheela until he
      started to suspect that Sheela was stealing money from him.

      Just one month before Sheela fled the commune, Rajneesh spoke
      of her publicly, stating that "I have been preparing her like a
      sword. I told her to go out and cut as many heads as possible."
      Later Rajneesh feigned innocence and claimed that Sheela was
      controlling him in spite of the obvious fact that Rajneesh was the
      reason the commune existed. Rajneesh was surrounded by thousands of
      disciples who would have gladly expelled or even jailed Sheela any
      time he gave the order. Sheela did Rajneesh's dirty work and the
      fact that she went further in her crimes than Rajneesh had planned
      does not exonerate him of all guilt. Upon leaving the commune
      Sheela stated that she was tired of "being his slave for l6, 17 or
      20 hours a day" and of "taking food out of the mouths of people to
      buy him watches and Rolls Royces."

      If a teacher puts a drunken sailor in charge of driving a
      school bus and the children end up dead, then the teacher is
      responsible for their deaths. Rajneesh knew what kind of a person
      Sheela was and he chose her because of her corruption and arrogance,
      not in spite of it. In a cowardly attempt to evade his own failings
      he changed his name from Rajneesh to Osho, as if a change in name
      could wash away his sins.

      There is no publicly released evidence to suggest that Rajneesh
      ordered the germ warfare attack on the ten Oregon restaurants.
      There is also no publicly released evidence that implicates Rajneesh
      in the plot to have a sannyasin pilot fly an airplane full of
      explosives into an Oregon courthouse in order to intimidate the
      political opposition. Luckily, the sannyasin pilot who was asked to
      perform the insane task was not as dumb as the plotters and he fled
      the commune without committing any crime.

      Rajneesh was directly responsible for the twisted mix of
      totalitarian slavery and libertine indulgence that the commune
      represented. According to highly credible published reports,
      Rajneesh allowed middle aged men to have sexual intercourse with pre-
      pubescent girls at the commune in the name of sexual freedom, yet
      his disciples were not allowed to have a mind of their own and had
      to totally surrender to the great Bhagwan's will. Disciples were
      often forced to work 12 hours a day in cold and difficult
      conditions, while Rajneesh himself experienced "groovy spaces" in
      his private heated indoor pool and watched countless movies on his
      big screen projection television, all the while enjoying his daily
      supply of drugs. Rajneesh showed his divine love for his disciples
      by squandering millions in hard earned commune assets on his car
      collection and expensive jewelry (see photo of Osho wearing jewel
      encrusted watch), and all in the name of egolessness and spiritual
      surrender (see Jim Weaver's newspaper article on the Rajneesh
      commune conflict).

      Why did Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh own 90 Rolls-Royces? Why did
      Saddam Hussein own dozens of luxurious palaces? Those desires were
      products of the base animal mind of two men who grew up surrounded
      by poverty. Enlightenment does not care about symbols of power and
      potency. Looking for hidden esoteric explanations for obsessive
      behavior is pointless. Is there an occult reason that Elton John
      spends over $400,000. per month on flowers? Is there a secret
      spiritual reason that Rajneesh had a collection of dozens of
      expensive ladies' watches? The universal cosmic consciousness is
      completely neutral and without any need to possess, impress, or
      dominate. It also cannot drive or tell time.

      One of Rajneesh's most blatant lies was that "the enlightened
      one gains nothing from his disciples." Rajneesh wanted people to
      believe that everything he did was a free gift born of pure
      compassion and that he gained nothing personally from the guru-
      disciple relationship. In obvious provable fact, Rajneesh gained
      much from his disciples: money, power, sex, and the titillation of
      constant adoration. Being a guru was his business, his only
      business. Without that income, at least on the material level, he
      was just a short, balding Indian man who could not hold a job.
      Rajneesh's very real enlightenment would not pay his bills or give
      him the material luxuries he craved, unless of course he used his
      intoxicating energy to gain power and money from his own disciples.

      Just as rock stars become energized by screaming fans at
      concerts, Rajneesh gained emotional energy and support from his
      disciples. The energy transfer was a two-way street, not a totally
      free one-way gift. During Rajneesh's incarceration in America, a
      television network broadcast a video of Rajneesh caught off-guard by
      a security camera while he was being held in a waiting room.
      Rajneesh looked bored and disgusted, just as any ordinary man might
      be. He didn't look blissful or enlightened at all. In my own
      opinion that video clip revealed the stark truth about the phenomena
      we call 'enlightenment.' The realization of the Void is not enough
      for anyone. All human animals, enlightened or not, need social
      interaction and the comforts of the material world to be content.

      Consciousness needs entertainment to survive and Rajneesh used
      his disciples as playthings for his own amusement. Rajneesh had no
      bankable power of his own. He could only gain material power by
      manipulating others to do his will. The equation was simple; the
      more disciples he attracted, the more power and wealth he obtained.

      Rajneesh, on so many levels, was just an ordinary man.
      Sexually he was even less than ordinary. Pretending to be a great
      tantric in his early years, Rajneesh handed out ridiculously bad
      sexual advice at a time he had very little first hand experience
      with sex himself. During his Bombay era, Rajneesh often grabbed the
      breasts of his young female disciples. On at least one occasion he
      asked a couple to have sex in front of him so that he could watch.
      The couple wisely rejected his request.

      Rajneesh often asked women half his age to strip in front of
      him so that he could "feel their chakras." To facilitate this
      practice he installed an electric lock on his bedroom door that
      could be activated from his desk where he spent most of his time.
      After Rajneesh started having sexual intercourse on a regular basis
      the spiritual need for him to feel the chakras of his female
      disciples mysteriously vanished.

      Rajneesh groped the breasts of two of my women friends
      and "felt the chakras" of a third. I soon began to realize that
      like so many other girl grabbing Indian gurus who had made the
      headlines, Rajneesh on the human level was just an ordinary sexually
      immature Indian male. My lady friend who suffered the chakra
      feeling incident was so put off that she never came back to see
      him. He had told her "Don't worry, you are mine now." That
      grasping statement had chilled her as much as the sexual advance.
      The young woman was a student of Indian music and had previously
      been sexually exploited by a famous Indian musician. She knew first
      hand what many Indian men were like. Rajneesh proved himself to be
      predictably and disappointingly the same.

      Rajneesh had much inside him that I wanted: light, energy, and
      a vastly expanded state of being. Regrettably, he also had much
      inside him that I did not want or respect. I do not find fault with
      Rajneesh for having the same sexual desires that all men have. I
      did find fault when he was dishonest and cruel for purely selfish
      reasons.

      While living in Bombay, Rajneesh made one young woman pregnant
      through an aggressive and unasked for seduction. The young woman
      was highly upset and forced by circumstance to have an abortion.
      Rajneesh, protecting his image as a great guru, lied about his
      involvement and claimed that she had imagined the whole affair. The
      young woman told the American Embassy her story and that incident
      marked the beginning of Rajneesh's troubles with the United States
      Government.

      Nature has provided human animals with a strong, virtually
      unstoppable sex drive to ensure reproduction of the species.
      Because of the overwhelming importance and power of sex, most gurus,
      enlightened or not, have maintained active sex lives which are often
      kept secret for purely political reasons. In his early years,
      Rajneesh lied about his strong sexuality by claiming to be
      celibate. To be fair, this has to be understood in the context of a
      rigidly anti-sexual and highly hypocritical Indian social
      structure. Later on, after his position as a guru had become
      secure, Rajneesh publicly bragged to the American media about having
      sex "with hundreds of women." All of Rajneesh's sex partners were
      his own female meditation students who were used as his personal
      harem.

      All human beings are animals, specifically mammals. Scientists
      now understand that human DNA is approximately 96% the same as
      chimpanzee DNA (see news story). World history, Asian mythology,
      politics, and the world of alpha male gurus makes allot more sense
      if you keep that unavoidable fact in mind. Our most primal
      subconscious motivating forces come from the animal world, which we
      are still a part of.

      The last time I visited the Rajneesh ashram in Poona, India,
      was in 1988. It was literally like a loud convention of German
      Brownshirts (storm troopers) by that point. Rajneesh, alias "Osho,"
      was still very popular in Germany, due in part to his comments in
      the German magazine Stern, which were widely interpreted as being
      pro-Hitler. Many young Germans who were looking for a strong and
      charismatic leader were thrilled by his words. Those who lost loved
      ones during World War II were justifiably shocked.

      Even in the early 1970s in Bombay, Rajneesh made careless
      statements which could easily be interpreted as being pro-Hitler and
      pro-fascist. In one lecture on "esoteric groups" he claimed that
      Adolf Hitler had been telepathically propped up by an occult
      Buddhist group that Rajneesh himself was in contact with. During
      World War II it is well known that a number of Brahman Indian yogis
      and Japanese "Zen masters" had supported the Axis cause and the
      extermination of the "inferior races," so Rajneesh's claim was not
      entirely surprising, if not totally believable.

      In Poona Rajneesh gave an infamous lecture in which he stated
      that Jews had given Hitler "no choice" but to exterminate them. In
      his last years Rajneesh declared that "I have fallen in love with
      this man (Adolf Hitler). He was crazy, but I am crazier still."
      Rajneesh said that he wanted his sannyasins "to take over the world"
      and that he had studied Hitler to gain insight into how to
      accomplish the task. For a man who portrayed himself as the world's
      smartest, highest, and greatest soul, such remarks were proof to me
      that his drug use had destroyed the quality of his mind.

      Rajneesh's comments about Hitler could be discounted as
      obnoxious but largely harmless hot air if it were not for the fact
      that he put many of Hitler's techniques into practice. Rajneesh
      used Hitler's "big lie" method of mind control very effectively and
      demanded total surrender from his troops (disciples), just as Hitler
      did. Rajneesh condoned illegal spying on his own disciples and used
      informants to weed out the disloyal. Sheela, his personal
      secretary, turned the tables on Rajneesh by bugging Rajneesh's
      trademark high-backed chair. The Oregon police later found
      Rajneesh's illegally taped conversations, but due to rules of
      evidence they could not be used against him in a court of law. The
      tapes were reported to be highly damning as to Rajneesh's
      culpability in much of the commune's illegal activities.

      Rajneesh turned many of his disciples into the equivalent of
      armed Brownshirts. I have received letters from several of
      Rajneesh's former security guards who admitted they had fallen under
      the spell of fascism and now regretted their behavior and
      attitudes. One wrote that he did not even know how to meditate and
      that the thrill of power was what kept him loyal to his great
      leader. In Poona, Rajneesh guards beat up an annoying local
      resident, his hands held behind his back as the guards pummeled
      him. In Oregon, Rajneesh guards were armed to the teeth with
      handguns and military style semi-automatic assault rifles. Rajneesh
      was never an admirer of the great Indian pacifist Mahatma Gandhi,
      but he did have a unhealthy fascination with Adolf Hitler, as well
      as United States General George Patton. According to Shivamurti,
      Rajneesh watched the movie Patton over and over again on his big
      screen television at his ranch in Oregon.

      Perhaps Rajneesh's worst personal trait was that he could dish
      it out but could not take it himself. He constantly put his
      disciples through great physical hardships which resulted in serious
      illness and even death for some, yet he himself lived in luxury and
      could not endure physical discomfort without complaining loudly like
      a baby. After his arrest on October 28th, 1985, at the
      Charlotte/Douglas International Airport in North Carolina, Rajneesh
      was interviewed by ABC television news. He began his jailhouse
      interview by crying in a shrill voice about his less than royal
      accommodations in the slammer. His high pitched whining was so
      weird and annoying that a late night comedy television show used the
      footage sarcastically as a joke about "God" complaining.

      During Rajneesh's appearance on the ABC television show
      Nightline, Rajneesh gave evasive and dishonest answers to all of Ted
      Koppel's questions and behaved as an unusually pompous and inept
      politician caught red handed at illegal activity. Rajneesh claimed
      that he was not responsible for any of the crimes committed at the
      commune because he was "in silence." In proven fact, although
      Rajneesh had stopped giving public lectures for a time, he had never
      stopped talking to Ma Anand Sheela and other close disciples.
      Rajneesh was always the ultimate authority at the commune, even
      though Sheela committed some of the most serious crimes behind his
      back.

      Rajneesh's favorite Rolls-Royce dealer stated that "the
      Bhagwan" had spent hours on the telephone talking to him about his
      often weekly purchases of new automobiles. All of the 93 Rolls-
      Royces were paid for from general commune funds on his direct
      orders, not "gifts" from outsiders as he would later try to claim.
      Rajneesh was the only person who wanted the cars and he was the only
      person allowed to drive them. After bankrupting the commune he
      claimed the automobiles were owned by the commune, not by him.

      Rajneesh pretended not to know that he was leaving the United
      States to escape an impending arrest warrant, thus secretly
      abandoning his disciples to face the music on their own. His own
      sannyasins did not know he had left the commune until they learned
      from the media of the arrest of Rajneesh and several followers at
      the North Carolina airport. Their luggage contained a bag of cash,
      a box of expensive jewel encrusted watches, and a handgun.
      Rajneesh's defense was that he was innocently sleeping when police
      boarded the private jet he had hired to escape to Bermuda. Rajneesh
      said he thought Bermuda was just another American state and that he
      was going on vacation to rest and to escape "death threats." The
      authorities later learned that a Rajneesh disciple with ties to the
      United States Justice Department had tipped off Rajneesh about his
      impending arrest on immigration fraud.

      The Rajneesh cult had little luck winning over American
      television viewers. Ma Anand Sheela disgraced herself on Nightline
      weeks earlier by bursting into loud obscenities, forcing Ted Koppel
      to take her off the air. The NBC television show Saturday Night
      Live climbed on the Rajneesh comedy bandwagon by doing a skit about
      an auction with actor Randy Quaid selling off "the Bhagwan's" 93
      Rolls-Royces. Years later the Fox Network cartoon show, The
      Simpsons, produced a spoof of Rajneesh that depicted a white gloved
      guru driving his Rolls-Royce down a muddy commune road as his
      disciples felt joy at eating his road dirt. In the cartoon, the
      great guru tried to escape the commune with bags of cash in a
      homemade peddle driven flying machine.

      "When it comes to gurus, take the best and leave the rest."
      Ramamurti Mishra

      During my last visit to the Poona ashram in 1988, Rajneesh was
      in silence because he was angry at his own disciples. He wanted his
      sannyasins to demonstrate in the streets against some Indian
      officials who had spoken out against him. Wisely, no one was
      interested in creating a new confrontation. This spell of sanity
      among the flock irritated Rajneesh, who canceled public talks as
      punishment. I was thus only able to see him on video tape.

      On the taped lecture Rajneesh was ranting emotionally, and
      factually incorrectly, about how the police in the United States had
      stolen his collection of jewel encrusted ladies' watches. He said
      they would never be able to wear them in public because his
      sannyasins would see the watches on their wrists, at airports etc.,
      and start screaming out loudly that "you stole Bhagwan's watch!"
      His words and manner were so childishly irrational that he reminded
      me of Jim Jones. This crazy old man, now called "Osho," was a far
      cry from the serene, dignified, and highly eloquent Acharya Rajneesh
      I had met years earlier.

      Some may be horrified that an enlightened man could become a
      convicted felon, but that has not stopped me from seeking the
      ultimate existential truth. Rajneesh's life is a lesson for us all
      to practice what we preach. Rajneesh gave great advice, but he
      could not heed his own wise words. He is also a reminder not to
      take what people say very seriously. It is better to observe how
      people live and put less emphasis on what they speak. Talk is
      cheap. Actions are more costly and telling.

      Do enlightened men have egos? In my younger idealistic years I
      would have said the answer is no. Rajneesh, Gurdjieff, and even J.
      Krishnamurti prove to me that they do. I became convinced that
      Rajneesh had an ego when I saw him on television in chains being
      transported from jail to an Oregon courthouse. In response to a
      reporter's question he looked into the television camera and spoke
      to his disciples saying "Don't worry. I'll be back." It was not
      what he said, but the look in his eyes that was positive proof for
      me. I could see his ego in action, calculating and manipulating.
      Once you see something that clearly no rationalizations can cover up
      the basic truth. Rajneesh was magnificently enlightened, but he was
      also profoundly egotistical.

      For ordinary humans the ego is the center of awareness and the
      Void is perceived only at the periphery. People look at a picture
      taken by the Hubble Space Telescope and they see the Void as an
      outside object, not as a personal identity. When you become
      enlightened, either temporarily in a satori or permanently as a
      Buddha, the situation is reversed. Now the Void is your center of
      awareness and the ego is at the periphery. Ego does not die, it
      just no longer takes the center stage of your attention.

      Enlightenment is a functional disassociation of identity. The
      human brain is a biologically created thinking machine that has
      evolved for both personal self-preservation and the survival of the
      species. The ego, which is a selfish motivating force, is needed to
      protect our colony of living cells (the physical body) from danger
      and to keep our cells replenished with food and water. If you did
      not have an ego you would not be able to think, speak, or find food,
      shelter, and clothing. The ego function is so vital for survival
      that the human brain evolved with two potential ego mechanisms, one
      a centralized ego and the second a larger and more diffuse backup
      system utilizing less central portions of the brain.

      If the body and brain becomes physically ill with high fever
      and the centralized ego center is damaged, the backup ego mechanism
      may temporarily take over its function. This is ego displacement
      without enlightenment. The backup self-maintenance system keeps
      sleep walkers out of danger and helps enlightened human animals find
      food and the basics of life, so they do not physically die as a
      result of their own deep meditation.

      Enlightened humans do not feel their more diffuse ego and thus
      they feel as free as space itself. In actuality ego is still
      present and working, just as our autonomic nervous system keeps on
      working whether we are aware of its function or not. You do not
      have to consciously tell yo<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)
    • jagbir singh
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 24, 2006
        <adishakti_org@y...> wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >
        > i received an email that read:
        >
        > "Dear Jagbir,
        >
        > Please could you explain to me a bit about the spiritual tradition
        > of gurus and disciples; and how this all works in SY? Do all
        > people need gurus for teaching and help; from my own experiences I
        > think that they probably do? What I mean is, people really need a
        > teacher for guidance along the path, someone very advanced and
        > experienced to tell and ask about specific problems and personal
        > situations and difficulties, a yoga master. Especially people from
        > the Western cultures and from restrictive religious backgrounds
        > need help understanding the Eastern concepts of spirituality, and
        > need personal guidance at times."

        For part 3 i have have taken the great religions of Hinduism,
        Buddhism and Sikhism whose defination of guru is summed up by Guru
        Nanak: "Let no man in the world live in delusion. Without a Guru
        none can cross over to the other shore."

        The guru leads his/her disciples to achieve self-realization/second
        birth through his/her deep esoteric knowedlge. A genuine guru is
        thus of a higher calibre than the priests, pastors, reverends,
        bishops, popes, rabbis, clerics, imams, mullahs, shaikhs, swamis,
        pandits, brahmins, granthis, gianis, and monks of religious
        organizations. A bona fide guru will also help you transcend the
        fanaticism and narrow-mindedness that plagues the followers of
        religious regimes.

        jagbir

        Etymology

        The word gurú means "teacher" in Sanskrit, as well as in other
        languages derived from Sanskrit, such as Hindi, Bengali and
        Gujarati. The word is attested from the Rigveda as an adjective
        meaning "heavy", its opposite being laghú "light". It derives from
        PIE *gwrus, cognate to Greek barus, Latin gravis, both likewise
        meaning "heavy".

        The word holds a special place in Hinduism, signifying both the
        sacred place of knowledge (jnana) and the imparter of knowledge. The
        adjective meaning "heavy, weighty" is used in the sense of "heavy
        with knowledge" [1], "heavy with spiritual wisdom"[2], "heavy with
        spiritual weight" [3], "heavy with the good qualities of scriptures
        and realization" [4], "heavy with a wealth of knowledge"[5].

        A notable esoteric etymology or interpretation of the term "guru" is
        based on a metaphorical interplay between darkness and light, in
        which the Guru is seen as the dispeller of darkness[6][7][8] . In
        some texts it is described that the syllables gu (गु)
        and ru (रू) stand for darkness and light , respectively
        [9].

        The syllable gu means shadows
        The syllable ru, he who disperses them,
        Because of the power to disperse darkness
        the guru is thus named.
        Advayataraka Upanishad 14--18, verse 5)

        A similar interpretation describes the guru as the one that "removes
        the darkness of ignorance" is based on the Guru Gita
        (literally "song of the spiritual teacher"), a spiritual text
        describing a dialogue between Siva and his consort Parvati on the
        nature of the guru and the guru/disciple relationship.

        Reender Kranenborg a Dutch religious scholar, dismisses the
        etymology based on the Upanishads, the Guru gita, the Sikh
        scriptures, the writings of Krishnamurti, and other scholar's
        opinions such as those of John Grimes, Thomas Murray, and others, by
        stating that the etymology of darkness and light has noting to do
        with word guru and describes it is as "people's etymology". [10]
        In the Western Esotericism and the Science of Religion, the author
        makes a distinction between "esoteric etymologies" and "scientific
        etymologies" presenting as an example the etymology of "guru", in
        which the former is presented as ru ("to push away") and gu
        ("darkness"), and the latter as "guru" as "heavy".[11]

        Another etymology of the word "guru" found in the Guru Gita,
        includes gu as "beyond the qualities" and ru as "devoid of form",
        stating that "He who bestows that nature which trascend the
        qualities is said to be guru". [12]

        Guru in Hinduism

        The importance of finding a guru who can impart transcendental
        knowledge (vidya) is one of the tenets of Hinduism. One of the main
        Hindu texts, the Bhagavad Gita, is a dialogue between God in the
        form of Krishna and Arjuna a nobleman. Not only does their dialogue
        outlines many of the ideals of Hinduism, but the discussion and
        relationship between the two considered to be an expression of the
        ideal Guru/disciple relationship. In the Gita itself, Krishna speaks
        of the importance of finding a guru to Arjuna:

        Acquire the transcendental knowledge from a Self-realized master by
        humble reverence, by sincere inquiry, and by service. The wise ones
        who have realized the Truth will impart the Knowledge to you.
        (Bhagavad Gita, c4 s34)

        In the sense mentioned above, guru is used more or less
        interchangeably with "satguru" (literally: true teacher) and
        satpurusha. Compare also Swami. The disciple of a guru is called a
        sishya or chela. Often, a guru lives in an ashram or in a gurukula
        (the guru's household) together with his disciples. The lineage of a
        guru, spread by worthy disciples who carry on that guru's particular
        message, is known as the guru parampara or disciplic succession.
        In the traditional sense, the word guru describes a relationship
        rather than an absolute and is used as a form of address only by a
        disciple addressing his master. Some Hindu denominations like BAPS
        Swaminarayan Sanstha hold that a personal relationship with a living
        guru, revered as the embodiment of God, is essential in seeking
        moksha. The guru is the one who guides his or her disciple to become
        jivanmukta, the liberated soul able to achieve salvation in his or
        her lifetime through God-realization.

        The role of the guru continues in the original sense of the word in
        such Hindu traditions as the Vedanta, yoga, tantra and bhakti
        schools. Indeed, it is now a standard part of Hinduism (as defined
        by the six Vedic streams and the tantric agamic streams) , that a
        guru is one's spiritual guide on earth. In some more mystical
        traditions, it is believed that the guru could awaken dormant
        spiritual knowledge within the pupil, known as shaktipat.

        In Hinduism, the guru is considered a respected person with saintly
        qualities who enlightens the mind of his or her disciple, an
        educator from whom one receives the initiatory mantra, and one who
        instructs in rituals and religious ceremonies. The Vishnu Smriti and
        Manu Smriti regard the teacher, along with the mother and the
        father, as the most venerable gurus (teachers) of an individual.
        Some influential gurus in the Hindu tradition (there have been many)
        include Adi Shankaracharya, Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, and Shri
        Ramakrishna. Other gurus whose legacy of continuing the Hindu yogic
        tradition grew in the 20th century were men like Shri Ram Chandra,
        Shri Aurobindo Ghosh, Shri Ramana Maharshi, Swami Sivananda and
        Swami Chinmayananda. See also the list of Hindu gurus.

        In Indian culture, someone not having a guru or a teacher (acharya)
        was once looked down upon as being an orphan, and as under a sign of
        misfortune. The word anatha in Sanskrit means "the one without a
        teacher". An acharya is the giver of gyan (knowledge) in the form of
        shiksha (instruction). A guru also gives diksha initiation which is
        the spiritual awakening of the disciple by the grace of the guru.
        Diksha is also considered to be the procedure of bestowing the
        divine powers of a guru upon the disciple, through which the
        disciple progresses continuously along the path to divinity.
        The origin of concept of "guru" can be traced as far back as the
        early Upanishads, where the conception of the Divine Teacher on
        earth first manifested from its early Brahmin associations.

        There is an understanding in some sects that if the devotee were
        presented with the guru and God, first he would pay respect to the
        guru, since the guru had been instrumental in leading him to God.
        Some tradition claim "Guru, God and Self (Self meaning soul, not
        personality) are one and the same. In this context, saints and poets
        in India, have expressed their views about the relationship between
        Guru and God:

        • Kabir
        Guru and God both appear before me. To whom should I prostrate?
        I bow before Guru who introduced God to me.

        • Brahmanand
        It's my great fortune that I found Satguru, all my doubts are
        removed.
        I bow before Guru. Guru's glory is greater than God's.

        • Brahmanda Purana
        Guru is Shiva sans his three eyes,
        Vishnu sans his four arms
        Brahma sans his four heads.
        He is parama Shiva himself in human form

        • Adi Shankara, widely considered one of the most important
        figures of Indian intellectual history, begins his Gurustotram or
        Verses to the Guru with the following Sanskrit Sloka, that is a
        widely sung Bhajan:

        Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu Guru Devo Maheshwara
        Guru Sakshath Parambrahma Tasmai Shri Gurave Namaha

        This means: Guru is creator Brahma; Guru is preserver Vishnu; Guru
        is also the destroyer Siva and he is the source of the Absolute. I
        offer all my efforts to the Guru.

        Guru in Buddhism

        The guru's blessing is the last of the four foundations in Vajrayana
        Buddhism. In this foundation, the disciple can continue in their
        experiential path on the way to the true nature of reality. The
        disciple regards the guru as the embodiment of Buddha, or a
        Bodhisattva, and he or she shows devotion and great appreciation
        toward the guru as such.

        In the Theravada Buddhist tradition, the teacher is a valued and
        honoured mentor worthy of great respect and is a source of
        inspiration on the path to Enlightenment. In the Tibetan tradition,
        however, the teacher is viewed as the very root of spiritual
        realization and the basis of the entire path. Without the teacher,
        it is asserted, there can be no experience or insight. The guru is
        to be seen as the Buddha. In Tibetan texts, great emphasis is placed
        upon praising the virtues of the guru. Tantric teachings include
        generating visualizations of the guru and making offerings praising
        the guru. The guru becomes known as the vajra (literally "diamond")
        guru, the one who is the source of initiation into the tantric
        deity. The disciple is asked to enter into a series of vows and
        commitments which ensure the maintenance of the spiritual link ,
        with the understanding that to break this link is a serious downfall.
        In tantric Buddhism, a guru is essential for initiation, practice
        and guidance along the path. The importance of a guru-disciple
        relationship is demonstrated by ritual empowerments or initiations
        where the student obtains permission to practice a particular tantra.
        The Dalai Lama, speaking of the importance of the guru, said: "Rely
        on the teachings to evaluate a guru: Do not have blind faith, but
        also no blind criticism."

        According to the Dalai Lama, the term 'living Buddha' is a
        translation of the Chinese word 'ho fu'. In Tibetan, the operative
        word is 'lama' which means 'guru'. A guru is someone who is not
        necessarily a Buddha but is heavy with knowledge. The term vajra is
        also used, meaning 'master'.

        The guru plays a very special role in Vajrayana (tantric Buddhism)
        as the way itself. The guru is perceived as the "state of
        enlightenment". The guru is not an individual who initiates a
        person, but the person's own Buddha-nature reflected in the
        personality of the guru. In return, the disciple is expected to
        shows great devotion to his or her guru, who he or she regards as
        one who possesses the qualities of a Bodhisattva.

        Guru in Sikhism

        The title Guru is extremely fundamental to the religion of the
        Sikhs. Indeed, the Sikhs have carried the meaning of the word to an
        even greater level of abstraction, while retaining the original
        usage, and apply it to an understanding of imparted knowledge
        through any medium.

        Sikhism comes from the word Sikh, which means a strong and able Guru
        disciple. The core beliefs of Sikhism are of belief in one God and
        in the teachings of the Ten Gurus, enshrined in Guru Granth Sahib,
        the Sikh holy book.

        Guru Nanak, the first guru of Sikhism, was opposed to the caste
        system prevalent in his time in India and he accepted Hindus,
        Muslims and people from other religions as disciples. His followers
        referred to him as the Guru (teacher). Before his death he
        designated a new Guru to be his successor and to lead the Sikh
        community. This procedure was continued, and the tenth and last
        Guru, Guru Gobind (AD 1666–1708) initiated the Sikh ceremony in AD
        1699.

        For Sikhs, the Gurus were not in the Christian sense "Sons of God".
        Sikhism says we are all the children of God and by deduction, God is
        our mother/father.

        Guru Nanak in speaking about God, says:

        There is but One God, His name is Truth, He is the Creator, He fears
        none, he is without hate, He never dies, He is beyond the cycle of
        births and death, He is self illuminated, He is realized by the
        kindness of the True Guru. He was True in the beginning, He was True
        when the ages commenced and has ever been True, He is also True now.
        On the importance of guru, Nanak says: Let no man in the world live
        in delusion. Without a Guru none can cross over to the other shore.

        Wikepedia.com
      • jagbir singh
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2006
          <adishakti_org@y...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > i received an email that read:
          >
          > "Dear Jagbir,
          >
          > Please could you explain to me a bit about the spiritual tradition
          > of gurus and disciples; and how this all works in SY? Do all
          > people need gurus for teaching and help; from my own experiences I
          > think that they probably do? What I mean is, people really need a
          > teacher for guidance along the path, someone very advanced and
          > experienced to tell and ask about specific problems and personal
          > situations and difficulties, a yoga master. Especially people from
          > the Western cultures and from restrictive religious backgrounds
          > need help understanding the Eastern concepts of spirituality, and
          > need personal guidance at times."

          For the part 4 i am quoting Dr. Ramananda Prasad of the
          American/International Gita Society, Fremont, California, USA. He
          has written this article titled "ALL ABOUT GURUS". Please read it
          carefully and judge if Shri Mataji has fulfilled the most important
          requirements of an incarnated SadGuru (not guru). It is imperative
          that She be judged against the rigorous time-tested signs and
          requirements of a SadGuru.

          "The contact of great souls who have realized the truth is very
          helpful. Reading scriptures, giving charity, and doing Saadhanaa
          alone may not give God-realization. A God-realized soul can awaken
          and kindle another soul. But, no guru can give a secret formula for
          Self-realization without His grace. It is said that human birth,
          faith in God, and the help of a sadguru come only by His grace. The
          Vedas say: The one who knows the land, gives direction to the one
          who does not know, and asks for it (Rigved 9.70.09). One has to
          complete the journey with his or her own efforts. One has to row his
          or her boat through the turbulent waters of this world. People
          discover the truth by their own efforts. Krishnamurti said: "The
          precepts of Truth are essentially an individual process." Just as
          the complete spectrum of sunlight is not visible to human eye
          without a prism, similarly, we cannot see the light of Brahm without
          the grace of Guru, God, and Gita.

          Personally, we feel that anybody who does not share the knowledge
          fully is not helping either his own spiritual progress, the progress
          of the society, or the followers. The Eastern gurus should learn the
          art of sharing from the West. The material progress of the world is
          mostly due to the sharing of scientific and technological knowledge
          of the West. Any body who meets the minimum requirements can learn
          anything in the universities in the USA. The fees are affordable and
          the requirements not very difficult to meet. This is not the case
          with the so called spiritual masters writers have come across. Most,
          if not all, Indian spiritual masters (that this writer has met in
          USA or in India) are very miserly. They are really not serving the
          people, or their disciples. I hope this article promotes the concept
          of true sharing of spiritual wealth by the possessors of the wealth
          for the upliftment of the humanity. Lord Krishna has condemned all
          those who do not help others with a selfless motive in the true
          spirit of selfless service, or Nishkaam Karm Yog.

          The Vedas prohibit the sale of God in any form. It says: O mighty
          Lord of countless wealth, I will not sell thee for any price (Rigved
          8.01.05). The role of a guru is that of a guide and a giver, and not
          of a taker. Before accepting a human guru, one must first have — or
          develop — full faith in the guru, and leave the human frailties of
          gurus out of consideration; take the pearls of wisdom and throw away
          the oyster shells. If this is not possible to do, it should be
          remembered that the word guru also means the light of Jnaan, the
          true metaphysical knowledge, that dispels ignorance and delusion,
          and the light comes — automatically — from Par-Brahm, the internal
          Param guru, when one's mind is purified by sincere Saadhanaa, Sevaa,
          and Surrender (Gita 4.38). One must follow the scripture with faith,
          especially in this age when it is very difficult to find a sadguru.

          There are four categories of gurus: a false guru, guru, Sadguru, and
          Param guru. In this age too many false gurus are coming to teach (or
          give a mantra) for a price. These false gurus are the merchants of
          mantra. They take money from disciples to fulfill their personal
          material needs without giving the Taartamya-vidyaa, or Brahm-jnaan,
          the true knowledge of Brahm. Saint Tulasidaas said that a guru who
          takes money (or any form of Sevaa from the disciples and does not
          remove their ignorance of metaphysics goes to hell (Tulasi Raamaayan
          7.98.04) ). Jesus also said: Watch out for false prophets; they come
          to you looking like sheep on the outside, but they are really like
          wild wolves on the inside (Matthew 7.15).

          A guru is the one who should impart true knowledge and complete
          understanding of Sat and Asat. The most common meaning of the word
          guru is the subject matter expert, a teacher or the guide. Thus any
          human being who imparts you any knowledge, spiritual or material,
          becomes your guru for that knowledge. Rishi Dattaatreya had twenty-
          four gurus, both human as well as non-humans, such as: Earth, water,
          fire, sky, air, sun, moon, as well as some birds, beasts, and
          insects, because, he learned lessons from their lives.

          A Sadguru is a Self-realized master mentioned in Gita 4.34. A
          Sadguru helps the devotee maintain God-consciousness all the time by
          his or her own spiritual power. When Antah-karan, the subtle senses
          such as the mind and intellect, is purified; Supreme Lord Krishna,
          the Param guru, reflects Himself in the Chitt of a devotee, and
          sends a guru, or a Sadguru to him or her. …

          Our own Atmaa inside all of us is the Param guru. Outside teachers
          only help us in the beginning of the spiritual journey. Our own
          mind, when purified by Nishkaama Karm, prayer, meditation, Jap,
          Kirtan (the congregational chanting of holy names), and scriptural
          study, becomes the best channel and guide for the flow of divine
          knowledge (See also Gita 4.38, and 13.22). The Divine Person within
          all of us is the Param guru, and one must learn how to tune in with
          Him. It is said that there is no greater guru than one's own mind. A
          pure mind becomes a spiritual guide and the inner divine guru
          leading to a Sadguru, and Self-realization. This is expressed by the
          common saying that the guru comes to a person when one is ready. The
          word guru also means vast, and is used to describe Brahm or
          Paramaatmaa, the Param guru and the internal guide.

          The wise spiritual teacher disapproves the idea of blind personal
          service, or the guru cult, which is so common in India, and is being
          imported abroad. A Self-realized master says that God only is the
          only guru, and all are His disciples. A disciple should be like a
          bee seeking honey from flowers. If the bee does not get honey from
          one flower, it immediately goes to another flower and stays at that
          flower as long as it gets the nectar. Idolization and blind worship
          of a human guru become stumbling block in the spiritual progress of
          both the disciple and the guru and bring downfall of Hinduism.

          One must follow a scripture of his or her choice with firm faith,
          especially in this age when it is difficult to find a true guru.
          Adherence to the high teachings of the scriptures will ward off all
          evil and bring about goodness. If a bridge is built, even an ant can
          easily cross the river, no matter how big a river is. Similarly, the
          scripture is the bridge to cross over the river of Samsaar.

          The ignorance of true metaphysical knowledge (Ajnaan) is humanity's
          greatest predicament and root cause of all evils in the world today.
          There is only one God, and all creatures are His children, then it
          is childish to fight in the name of Father! In some religions,
          however, only the members of one's own sect are considered favorites
          of God, and others are considered infidels. The Vedas say: Let noble
          thoughts come to us from everywhere (Rigved 1.89.01). Different
          religious teachings are but different expressions of the Supreme.
          They are to be respected, not regarded as instruments of division.
          The dignity and welfare of humanity lie in the unity of races and
          religion. True knowledge of religion breaks down all barriers,
          including the barriers between faiths. Any religion, prophet,
          preacher, sant, mulla, or prachaarak that creates the walls of
          conflict and hatred among people in the name of God is not a
          religion, but selfish politics in disguise." (end)

          Yes, the "ignorance of true metaphysical knowledge (Ajnaan) is
          humanity's greatest predicament and root cause of all evils in the
          world today." That is what www.adishakti.org and ww.al-qiyamah.org
          websites explains and gives evidence in detail to all seekers.

          jagbir
        • jagbir singh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2006
            <adishakti_org@y...> wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > i received an email that read:
            >
            > "Dear Jagbir,
            >
            > Please could you explain to me a bit about the spiritual tradition
            > of gurus and disciples; and how this all works in SY? Do all
            > people need gurus for teaching and help; from my own experiences I
            > think that they probably do? What I mean is, people really need a
            > teacher for guidance along the path, someone very advanced and
            > experienced to tell and ask about specific problems and personal
            > situations and difficulties, a yoga master. Especially people from
            > the Western cultures and from restrictive religious backgrounds
            > need help understanding the Eastern concepts of spirituality, and
            > need personal guidance at times."

            In conclusion I have to add that Shri Mataji is far more that a
            Sadguru. She is Shaksat the incarnation of the Adi Shakti. She is
            indeed the long promised Messiah, the Avatar promised by all holy
            scriptures to deliver the Divine Message of God Almighty, His Plan
            for all humanity.

            "The Meaning of Avatar:

            The term 'AVATAR' means one who was descended, but descended from
            where and to what? It means descended from Godliness to human form.
            Avatar means those who descended to Earth from the Spiritual world
            for the establishment of Dharma, preservation of the human race and
            promulgation of Sastra. Avatar means the person who descends, as a
            fully or partially empowered incarnation of Divine Mother
            Adhiparasakthi, from the spiritual realm for a particular mission.
            An Avatar is also called a Savior, that is a person who saves or
            rescues mankind from the danger of deterioration. When a savior
            appears on this Earth all are saved through his grace.

            Whenever virtue subsides and wickedness prevails; whenever there is
            unrighteousness or Adharma and whenever there is catastrophe and
            unrest in the world; the Divine Mother manifests Herself. That is,
            Adhiparasakthi comes down to this earth, or physical plane, to
            establish virtue and Dharma and to destroy the evil and save the
            good. When She comes down to the physical plane She takes human form
            and is called an Avatar or Incarnation.

            An Avatar is also called a Messenger of Divine Mother because an
            Avatar transmits pure unselfish Divine Love from the Divine Mother
            to man and gives a taste of the unadulterated nectar of heavenly
            bliss to the arid souls scorched by the fire of worldliness. The all-
            pervading Mother Adhiparasakthi who is Truth, Consciousness and
            Bliss, by Her special grace manifests Herself as a common being
            during the Avatar period. During this period the Divine mother
            assumes a human form and manifests Herself to set an example of
            Divine Life before us in this world. It is Her peculiarity that she,
            in spite of being boundless, becomes very small.

            The Avatar or Incarnation of Adhiparasakthi descends from the
            Spiritual world for material manifestation. The particular form of
            personality of Divine Mother who descends is called an Incarnation
            or Avatar. Such incarnations are situated in the Spiritual World.
            When they descend to the material creation they assume a common name
            Avatar.

            The Avatar assumes various names and forms such as Rama, Krishna,
            Christ, etc at various places in various times, but all are the same
            Adhiparasakthi. All the Avatars that have come to this world are one
            and the same Adhiparasakthi. The Supreme personality of Godhead,
            Adhiparasakthi takes various incarnations and many sub-incarnations
            as well, but she is the original personality of Godhead known as
            Adhiparasakthi and She incarnates personally also.

            Adhiparasakthi, although one without a second, manifests Herself in
            innumerable forms. All these multifarious forms are understood by
            the pure unalloyed devotees, but not by a simple study of the Vedas.
            Devotees are constant companions of Divine Mother and whenever
            Divine Mother incarnates, the associate devotees also incarnate in
            order to serve the Divine Mother in different capacities. The Divine
            Mother works through them and propagates the religion. The associate
            devotees spend their lifetimes assisting the Avatar and work for the
            welfare of the Jivas. However, there is a difference between the
            Divine Mother and the Devotees. Therefore, a living entity, however
            great he may be in the material estimation, can never equal the
            Supreme Mother. Anyone who is a constant companion of the Divine
            Mother is certainly a liberated person but he cannot be equal to the
            Divine Mother.

            The Divine Mother is infallible, in that she never forgets Herself
            even though she is in material contact. Therefore, the Divine Mother
            and the living entity can never be equal in all respects, even if
            the living entity is a liberated soul. As such, when the Avatar
            comes, with him are born liberated persons as helpers in his world-
            play. However, only Avatars have the power to displace the darkness
            of a million souls and give them salvation in one lifetime. This is
            known as grace.

            A devotee of the Divine Mother sometimes forgets the nature of the
            Divine Mother, but by divine grace, a devotee can at once understand
            the infallible condition of the Divine Mother. However, a non-
            devotee cannot understand this transcendental nature.
            It may also be noted here that a living entity forgets everything
            due to his change of body, but the Divine Mother remembers because
            she does not change Her Sat-Chit-Ananda body. She is advaita, which
            means that there is no distinction between Her body and Herself.
            Everything in relation to Her is spirit, whereas the conditioned
            soul is different from his material body. Because the Divine
            Mother's body and self are identical, Her position is always
            different from that of the ordinary living entity, even when She
            descends to the material world.

            How to know an Avatar:

            Truth and love absolute are the essence of the divine. In an Avatar,
            we find the expression and exposition of the Love of God. Know for
            certain that God is incarnate in a man in whom the Love of God is
            surging, overflowing and all absorbing (this maddening sentiment of
            life). Such teachers of spiritual truth are always the fairest
            flowers of human life and they are the ocean of mercy without any
            motive.

            One can attain realization of God through worship of the Avatar.
            Divine Mother reveals Herself to Her devotees in a variety of ways.
            She assumes the very form that the devotee has chosen for his
            worship. If you worship Her as Adhiparasakthi, she will come to you
            as Adhiparasakthi. If you worship Her as Christ, she will come to
            you as Christ. If you worship Her as Allah, she will come to you as
            Allah. If you worship Her as Krishna or Buddha, she will come to you
            as Krishna or Buddha.

            All are aspects of one Adhiparasakthi. Under whatever name and form,
            it is Adhiparasakthi who is adored. Worship goes to She who dwells
            within. It is ignorance to think that one form is superior to
            another. All forms are one and the same. All are adoring the same
            Divine Mother. The differences are only due to differences of name
            and due to the differences in the worshiper, but not in the object
            of adoration. The real Adhiparasakthi or Allah or Jesus or Krishna
            is in your own heart. She lives there forever. She is your
            Indweller. She is your partner always. There is no friend like the
            Indweller (Antharayamin). Resort to Her. Take Refuge in Her. Realize
            Her and be free.

            Some people want to have contact with Avatars without being endowed
            with proper qualifications. Even if an Avatar appears before you,
            you will not be able to find him out. You don't have the eyes to see
            him as such. You will take him for an ordinary man only. . . .
            If you are endowed with the four means of salvation; if you have
            Vairagya; if you possess forgiveness and patience; if you have
            devotion, you can contact and realize the Avatars and sages right
            this second. If you can serve humanity; if you can obey; if you can
            be generous; if you can have endless devotion to the Divine Mother,
            then you will have self-realization this very second and you will
            contact Avatars, Adepts and Incarnations this very second. First
            deserve and then desire.

            Aim of Manifestation:

            Adhiparasakthi, The Supreme Brahman, manifests Herself in order to
            protect the good because they destroy unrighteousness and propagate
            righteousness. The good are those who are naturally inclined towards
            the good of others, who remember and chant the name, form, qualities
            and glories of Adhiparasakthi, the Divine Mother and propagate them
            among people while depending on Her. He whose only aim is
            realization of God is good while those who hanker after worldly
            pleasures and property are not good.

            Those who because of so many desires remain absorbed in vices such
            as falsehood, fraud, deception, dishonesty, etc; who exploit the
            virtuous; who remain engaged in doing evil to others; who don't know
            what ought to be done and what ought not to be done; who always
            condemn God and the Scriptures; such persons of demonic nature have
            been called wicked. The wicked propagate unrighteousness and destroy
            righteousness so the Divine Mother Adhiparasakthi manifests Herself
            for the destruction of such wicked people.

            The Avatar comes to this world with a particular mission which is
            the main objective of the Avatar called Avatara Nokkam. The Avatar
            preaches many things and waits for the time to fulfill the main
            objective. In the meantime other things required for the fulfillment
            of the main objective are completed. Such things as the training of
            various cadre of people to perform and complete the main objectives
            are done step by step without overruling the Theory of Karma as far
            as possible. During this period some of the minor objectives are
            also carried out and completed. As soon as the main objective is
            completed the Avatar goes back to the kingdom of God that is
            Sukshma world, in the predetermined way.

            Cause and Occasion of Her Manifestation:.

            Whenever and wherever there is decline in religious practice and a
            predominant rise of irreligion, Adhiparasakthi descends Herself.
            When there is decline of righteousness and a rise of
            unrighteousness, She manifests Herself for the destruction of the
            wicked and the establishment of true righteousness. Thus, if
            necessary, She manifests Herself in different forms at this time.
            However, she manifests herself only as and when there is need for
            Her manifestation.

            There is a decline of righteousness from the Satya Yuga, or Golden
            Age, to Treta Age, Dvapara Age and Kali Age respectively. In the
            Satya Age, Dharma, or righteousness, flourishes. In Treta Age the
            decline begins and becomes rapid in Dvapara Age. In Kali Age, the
            most evil of the ages, unrighteousness or Adharma prevails. In this
            age the Godhead, the Divine Mother, manifests Herself for the
            establishment of righteousness.

            There is descent of Divine Mother for the ascent of Man. As an
            Avatar, She puts on a fleshly body out of Her own free will for the
            upliftment of mankind. She is quite independent and has absolute
            control over Maya. Meanwhile, Jiva, men, are slaves of Avidya, or
            Maya, so long as they have no self-realization. She is completely
            free to act in many ways at Her will and has no obligation to adhere
            to such rules and regulations. Therefore, She appears by Her own
            will whenever there is irreligiousity and a disappearance of true
            religion. It is a recognized fact that from time to time messengers
            and incarnations of the Almighty Adhiparasakthi are born on earth to
            shed the light of righteousness and dispel the darkness of evil and
            injustice.

            Dharma is the base on which the edifice of life is built and the
            Divine Mother takes it as Her special mission to see that it does
            not decay. Whenever Dharma is assailed, She incarnates to set an
            example to the world and remove the hurdles in the path of Dharma or
            righteousness. Whenever there is a setback in Dharma it becomes the
            primary concern of the Divine Mother to re-infuse and revitalize the
            vigor into Dharma.

            In assuming birth, Divine Mother does not abrogate Her intrinsic
            nature of being the birth less and deathless Mother of all
            existence. Her fundamental infinitude of perfections undergoes no
            diminution the process of incarnation. The form She assumes, the
            body in which She incarnates, is a particular configuration of Her
            own radiant and transcendental form, untouched by Rajas Tamas. It is
            material in so far as it transcends to the taints of terrestrial
            matter. In time of crisis, for the moral regeneration of the world,
            the grounds for Divine incarnation are not the necessity of Karma
            but free resolve transcending it.

            The re-establishment of Dharma is accomplished in two ways. Firstly,
            the righteous ones on earth who are languishing for want of direct
            communion with Divine Mother, the object of their loving adoration,
            are granted the vision they long for, by Divine Mother in Her
            incarnate form. They are thus rescued from their spiritual
            affliction and sustained by the life-giving grace of Divine
            Communion. Secondly, those who are evil and antagonistic to the call
            of the Divine, are released through apparent destruction to get a
            new embodiment favorable to their turning Divine. The essence of
            righteousness is love of God, which is fostered by the self-
            revelation of God through the Avatar.

            What is Unrighteousness?

            When the righteous, innocent, weak, pious and spiritual people are
            exploited by the unrighteous, cruel, strong, wicked and mundane
            people and when moral values are lost and morality prevails: that
            state is the state of decline of righteousness and the rise of
            unrighteousness. When there is a decline of righteousness and a rise
            of unrighteousness, by God's order, saints come to the earth and
            true strivers are revealed. They both work to reestablish
            righteousness. Sometimes liberated souls, who have realized God,
            come to earth as representatives of God to help the people attain
            salvation. Where there are such strivers and saints, there is
            neither so much decline of righteousness, nor so much rise of
            unrighteousness, as in other places where there are neither strivers
            nor saints. When people don't follow the teachings of strivers and
            saints, but start to kill them, leaving only a few righteous persons
            to propagate righteousness, there is a decline in righteousness and
            Adhiparasakthi, the Brahman, manifests Herself.

            What is Irreligious?

            The principles of religion are laid down in the Vedas and any
            discrepancy in the matter of properly executing the rules of the
            Vedas makes one irreligious.

            Establishment of Dharma or Righteousness:

            Because unrighteousness propagates due to the performance of actions
            with a selfish motive and attachment to the unreal, the
            establishment of righteousness consists of preaching and propagating
            the selfless performance of actions. The Divine Mother
            Adhiparasakthi manifests Herself in order to propagate the
            performance of selfless actions through Her deeds. When this sort of
            feeling is propagated, righteousness is naturally established.
            The Divine Mother is the abode of Dharma, or righteousness, so She
            manifests Herself in order to establish righteousness well. In fact,
            righteousness never perishes. It only declines. Whenever there is a
            decline the Divine Mother reestablishes it.

            To establish true Dharma and peace, She comes down as the World
            teacher. She shows Maya bound Jivas the true path of Mukti, or
            liberation, by coming down in a human body. Although She is on Earth
            in human form, She is not bound by Maya. She thus embodies Herself
            in different bodies at different times but the incarnations are not
            different. She is one. She only appears in different forms out of
            necessity. She teaches man by appearing in a form that is suitable
            for that particular time of Avathara.

            She has appeared in India many times and has taught us many things.
            That is why India was and is the fountain of knowledge. In the past,
            whenever it was necessary, she has lifted India, upholding her by
            Her hands of Dharma. It is for this reason that even today in this
            downtrodden, oppressed and famine stricken India so many heroic
            souls, righteous and enterprising, are taking birth and guiding us.
            That is why our country has, even now, the true ideals of Gnana and
            Bakthi compared to those in other countries.

            The Power and Capacity of an Avatar:

            An Avatar as epoch maker functions as a perennial source of power
            and beneficence for a whole epoch. An Avatar can transmit
            spirituality with a touch or even a mere wish. By his look, wish, or
            touch, people are saved. The lowest and most degraded characters
            become saints at the command of the Avatar. When an incarnation
            comes, a tidal wave of spirituality breaks upon the world, and
            people feel spirituality almost full in the air.

            His message, Gospel or Arulvakku, and power transcends age and time.
            People look upon him as an eternal source of faith, hope, love,
            strength and inspiration. The milk of Divine love streams and flows
            to us from the Avatar. The Avatar is the meeting ground of personal
            and impersonal, of Divine and human. He is at once individual and
            universal. The Avatar is the teacher of all teachers, the highest
            manifestation of Divine Mother through a human form.

            An Avatar is a mighty person. He removes the veil of ignorance of
            thousands of men and women and takes them to the land of eternal
            rest and bliss. The Avatar is one with the Supreme. An Avatar is not
            like an ordinary individual soul. The Avatar is the rays of Divine
            Mother Adhiparasakthi. When the work of the Avatar is over, he
            disappears from the world.

            Adhiparasakthi has two manifestations. In one, She reflects through
            the universe and is called Nature. The second manifestation is
            through the great Incarnations of Adhiparasakthi that are the
            various Avatars such as Rama, Krishna, Buddha, Christ, Mohammad,
            Chaitanya, Guru Nanak, Kabir, etc. These two manifestations of
            Adhiparasakthi are: Karana Brahman

            Karya Brahman

            Karana means cause. Karya means effect. Karya Brahman, also known as
            Hiranyagarbha, is the creative aspect of Adhiparasakthi. Avatars
            descend from Karya Brahman. There cannot be any descent of Avatar
            directly from Karana Brahman. Brahma, Vishnu and Siva, the three
            Murtis, belong to the Karya Brahman aspects of Adhiparasakthi.
            Brahma is the creative aspect; Vishnu is the preservative aspect;
            and Siva is the destructive aspect. There is no polytheism in the
            Hindu religion because polytheism means worship of more than one God
            and this is not the case.

            As per the doctrines of our ancient Rishis of yore, there are
            sixteen rays or sixteen digits or sixteen planes of manifestation or
            sixteen expanding Kalas emanating from Adhiparasakthi, the Supreme
            Brahman. One ray is needed to maintain the animal kingdom. Two rays
            maintain the animal kingdom and five to eight rays are required for
            human beings. One can rise from savage to a higher spiritual status
            only according to the number of rays. For Avatars, nine to sixteen
            rays emanate from the Supreme Mother. Avatars are classified
            according to the number of rays. The different kinds of Avatars are
            as follows:

            Purna Avatar

            Amsa Avatar

            Lila Avatar

            Purna Avatar means full Avatar, in whom all sixteen rays are
            present. Lord Krishna was a Purna Avatar. There are also Amsa
            Avatars with partial incarnations. Sri Sankaracharya was an Amsa
            Avatar. Lord Rama was a Lila Avatar with fourteen rays. Ancient
            Rishis, modern philosophers, and theosophists mention seven rays,
            twelve rays and so on when they describe the stage of spiritual
            development of their Gurus, Spiritual Masters and Adepts.
            Whenever the Avatar requires secret details of past and future
            events, or any clarification, the Avatar contacts Karana Brahman
            through ecstasy known as Arul Nilai. The Avatar goes into the
            Nirvikalpa Samathi, the highest superconscious state, and then comes
            back to the conscious state. This superconscious state is the Thuria
            Nilai, or Fourth State. This is the state in which the individual
            soul rests in his own Sat-Chit-Ananda Svarupa, the highest Brahmic
            consciousness during Nirvikalpa Samathi. Only Jeevanmuktas or sages
            can attain this state. The glory of the state of Thuria is
            ineffable. Its splendor is indescribable. This is a very special
            form of occult trance and the Avatars call it Yoga-Nidhrai,
            or "Temple Sleep." This is a very special type of trance because the
            Avatar who has studied this under temple conditions knows what he is
            doing and can throw himself deliberately into the trance state as
            and when required. In this state he is under his own control and
            cannot be obsessed by others.

            This is only an outline and there are a number of Divine
            requirements and steps in attaining such a state. Please note that
            under the surveillance of Avatars we can also attain such a state if
            we have the basic requirements of Bakthi, Devotion, Purity of Mind,
            etc.

            The superconscious state is attained only in absolute samadhi and by
            cessation of all bodily functions. Normally, there is no return from
            this state. A person who goes into the superconscious state remains
            in that state for about twenty-one days and then passes away.
            However, a few who are destined to teach mankind return to the
            ordinary plane of consciousness by keeping a trace of egoism,
            without which corporeal existence is impossible. The Avatars cherish
            a few desires for the betterment of the world. By taking hold of
            this and through the special divine grace of Adhiparasakthi, they
            come down from the superconscious state to the conscious state.
            Incarnations are always conscious of their own divinity. They know
            it from the moment of their birth. They assume human form and human
            limitations for a particular period of time in order to teach us. In
            reality they are never limited. They are ever free but appear to be
            limited to the eyes of ordinary human beings.

            From their very birth, the Avatars are knowers of Brahman, the
            Divine Mother. It should be noted that there is no difference at all
            between Brahman and the knower of Brahman, "He who knows the Brahman
            becomes the Brahman" — Mundaka Upanisad. The Atman or Brahman cannot
            be known by the mind because it is itself the knower. Therefore,
            man's relative knowledge reaches only up to Avatars, who are always
            established in Atman or Brahman. The highest ideal of Adhiparasakthi
            that the human mind can perceive or grasp is the Avatar. Beyond this
            there is no relative knowledge. Such knowers of Adhiparasakthi or
            Brahman are rarely born in the world and very few people can
            identify and understand them. Attainment of knowledge of
            Adhiparasakthi is the highest object of life. By deep devotion to
            the Avatars, who are world teachers, that knowledge will manifest
            itself in time." (Om Shakti Spiritual Movement)

            The www.adishakti.org and www.al-qiyamah.org websites are based on
            Shri Adi Shakti: The Kingdom Of God, a 2200-page book of the
            revelations of the Adi Shakti in the Sahasrara. This is what Her
            physical incarantion Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi proclaimed on Earth:

            "Once this book is out all over the world, it will be known about
            our work. We'll not be challenged any more. But still we have to see
            for ourselves, that if we have this kind of recognition or not, our
            capabilities should be up to that."

            Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi
            You Must Develop Humility, Shri Adi Shakti Puja
            Cabella, Italy – May 21, 1998

            Yes, only by deep devotion to the Avatars, who are world teachers,
            that knowledge will manifest itself in time. Her Divine Message to
            humanity will eventually triumph. She is Sakshat everything this
            Mahamantra proclaims, and far more:

            Om Twameva Sakshat
            Shri Mahalakshmi Mahasaraswati Mahakali
            Trigunatmika Kundalini Sakshat
            Shri Adi Shakti Mataji Shri Nirmala Devi
            Namoh Namah

            Om Twameva Sakshat
            Shri Kalki Sakshat
            Shri Adi Shakti Mataji Shri Nirmala Devi
            Namoh Namah

            Om Twameva Sakshat
            Shri Kalki Sakshat
            Shri Sahasrara Swamini Moksha Pradayini
            Mataji Shri Nirmala Devi
            Namoh Namah

            The Eternal, Infinite, Divine Primordial Mother the Spirit Of The
            Living God Her Holiness Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi is the Sole Source
            and Cause of all the Divine Revelations, Miracles, Knowledge,
            Truth and Prophecies proclaimed at the www.adishakti.org and www.al-
            qiyamah.org websites. Her Divine Message to humanity will eventually
            triumph through our deep and fearless devotion to the Adi Shakti.

            Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.

            jagbir
          • Ajay Agarwal
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
              Hi All,

              My life since last 10 days had changed dramatically (
              I joined this group 10days back).
              It has been wonderful experience in the forum
              ..discussing on various subjects and giving opinions
              etc. But i must admit that some "complicated doubts"
              have started arising in my mind now..specially after
              reading so much on adishakti.org .. I look forward to
              this group to make me stable by satisfying my
              doubts/questions.

              After reading lot of articles on Kingdom of GOD
              (MEETING HIS MESSENGERS) , now i always ( you can say
              24hrs - sleeping hrs)
              think of Shri Mataji and The Kingdom of God. I wander
              whether i in this life would be able to enjoy The
              Kingdom of God.. I don't know why and how and when i
              started thinking about Shri Mataji non-stop and always
              think that She is watching me ..my actions and my
              words... I am afraid talking to my friends "about
              girls" that we used to talk freely in tea time..

              I have started thinking that whether I am a
              Sahajyogi.. becuase i have never gone thru such
              wonderful exp..that group shares here. Infact , my
              vibrations are fluctuating vibrations (on-off type).
              Sometime they keep on coming...and sometime i dont
              feel any vibration for 4 -5 days or even 1 week.?
              Previously i have never got such type of questions in
              my mind !.

              One advantage that i have got is that initially if i
              missed foot soaking for 1 -2 day..i would guilty..now
              i think i should not feel that guilty consious feeling
              ..as it is not compulsion to do foot soaking daily.
              That's a nice thing.

              Lastly, one important matter ...i would like the input
              from group on this.

              Last december( 2005) when I went to PUNE for Christmas
              Puja. I have met many SY there. Our topic of
              discussion slowly ..slowly came to the GOD's and their
              pictures ( that we normally have in our home). Most of
              SY's were of the opinion that these pictures does not
              resemble the true GOD..they are merely the fantastic
              imagination of painters /artist/ historician etc. and
              this has been coming on since decades and decades..and
              ....so on. They were of the opinion that nobody has
              seen Shri Ganesha ( So how can anyone be sure that
              whether he has one teeth, bigtrunk etc.) Same with all
              other GODS ( Shri Shiva etc..) ..the point was
              somebody in the past has imagined the GOD and GODESSES
              as like this and...since then it is coming as it is. I
              saw some logical point in this and after coming from
              Pune , i discussed and convinced my wife ( Non - SY)
              about the same.. and i removed the pictures of GOD's
              from my home. Even though my wife was not fully
              convinced.
              Now, after reading ..Kingdom of GOD (MEETING HIS
              MESSENGERS)... I found the description of GOD's to be
              the same ( as in pictures in my home)... I feel i have
              done something wrong...in my hurriedness..
              What shall i do now ? Shall i talk to my wife again
              and get the new pictures from market? or what? i am
              confused.

              Pls suggest.

              Jai Shri Mataji.

              - Ajay.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • v_koa
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                Ajay,

                First of all, glad you could Join us. As i have found over the past
                year and a half(even though i have been only doing sy for a few
                months) there are many knowledgable yogis here and many if not
                almost all you questions can be answered or given insight to in
                order to help you understand the answers that may be presenting
                themselves to you in meditation and in daily life. You definatly
                have found a well spring of caring people with much experience in
                the difficulties of Sy, and much info on talks by Shri Mataji. Enjoy
                it all and never be afriad or hesitant to speak your mind and ask
                questions; thats what we are here for.

                In terms of weather or not you are a Sy due to your experiences, or
                lack there of, that has nothing to do with being a SY or i should
                say- weather or not you are one. Justb ecause you have not had
                experiences like the ones you have read, doesn't mean you are not
                reall a Sy or anything of the sort. Each person has different
                experiences that are bestowed upon people by mother and mother
                alone, and it is up to her how these blessing manifest in peoples
                lives, to what extent, etc. Each person is different with different
                needs, and mother knows us all better then anyone, so she knows how
                to instill faith in us on an individual basis and cleanse us of our
                unique problems etc without any pain at all. Violet has said" do not
                seek the blessing or the gifts, but seek the one who gives the gifts
                only" that being the Adi Shakti within, the kundalini, whos physical
                manifestation is Shri Mataji Nirmala devi. So just meditate, talk to
                Mother as you would talk to your own mother, of course with much
                respect, but being very open, honest and above all yourself, and
                everything will work out the way it should work out. Don't seek the
                gifts, for they will come as you begin to develop the relationship
                with the one who gives the very gifts you are searching for- Adi
                Shakti.

                As far as vibrations are concerned, i cannot comment other then the
                fact that what matters most is that you feel the cool breeze and
                meditate. Even if you do not feel it all the time, it is there and
                it is not going anywhere. A yogi friend of mine told me not to long
                ago that weather you feel the vibrations or not, weather you feel
                sick physically or have a chattering mind and can't meditate,
                everything is for our benevolence. Mother has worked it out and is
                working it out for us, so we should just be strong, bare it,
                meditate always, introspect, and let mother take care of the rest.
                Eventually all that is for you to have will be yours, but on mothers
                time not ours. Take it easy and just try to enjoy.
                I will leave you with an e-mail i wrote not too long ago on this
                forum in which i came to a few realizations, as i ahave been
                struggling terribly with sahaja yoga since i started and still am,
                but finding the ight path within sahaja yoga, for ome who can't find
                it, is a good way to start(in my case).

                Kyyan

                Dear all,

                i have been asked to post this e-mail i sent to Violet not too long
                ago, as it
                may help any others who are struggling with Sy, especially in the
                begining. Hope
                you all find it useful.

                Kyyan

                I have to say that things have been getting interesting in a very
                subtle way
                lately.

                I sort of hit a rough spot over the holidays where I didn't meditate
                for a few
                days to a week and kind of became frustrated/disillusioned to the
                point where I
                just said (I need a break from all this for a week or whatever and
                went back to
                some of my old destructive, habits). Over that time (up to today)
                just thinking
                of things and trying to see things for what they are its like I'm
                beginning to
                understand and see how I approached Sy completely wrong and with a
                completely
                wrong mind set.

                I went in there expecting short term physical cures, amazing
                experiences, etc,
                like all the ones I have read about. When I didn't get much of
                anything at all I
                began to get worried that all my searching and "belief" was again
                invested into
                something that doesn't work, despite the evidence. I began to ask
                others to
                clear me out, began ritualistice use of treatments with soo much
                doubt that they
                would have never worked anyways. I have come to realize looking back
                on the past
                2 and a half months that all I have been doing and how I approached
                SY is
                exactly why I really haven't moved one square inch.

                I am seeing now, quite subtly I might add, that I went in there with
                all this
                built up belief in Shri Mataji, SY and everything else without every
                really
                experiencing it on my own. I guess you would call it "blind faith"
                coupled with
                hope that had me believing and making up small occurrences to be
                these
                charismatic events inside my own head, when in fact none of what I
                experienced
                was even remotely flashy, amazing or noticeable at all. I wanted so
                bad for my
                blind beliefs to be validated that I would maybe auto suggest
                occurrences hoping
                they were truly those experiences, or dwell on them in my head and
                imagine them
                to be something they were not. Like for example, I would get myself
                believing
                that if I suddenly had to go to the washroom (barely) that it was my
                mooldhara
                showing progress, or if I had shortness of breath from anxiety that
                my heart was
                clearing out by breathing properly, etc. Basically I was trying to
                put mystical
                reasons behind events that warranted no mystical explanation.

                It's like after all of that effort I can look back and see that none
                of what I
                had myself believing and none of what I "experienced" was anything
                more then a
                self made delusion that I was making up in an attempt to hold onto
                what I so
                badly wanted to believe simply because it made sense. It is like I
                have been
                shown that there is no way to know God or self or Shri Mataji or
                Meditation, or
                anything else I have read personal accounts of and otherwise, except
                experience them by myself. It's like after trying to hold on to all
                this
                nonsense hoping any day now that id have an amazing mystical
                experience that
                would validate my efforts and "beliefs", I finally had to give all
                those beliefs
                up completely and start over in a completely relaxed, patient, take
                it one day
                at a time with no expectations attitude. More importantly I had to
                stop
                believing (without feeling guilty), and start allowing myself time
                experience things for myself, instead of asking for third party
                validation or
                aspiring for such happenings. I had to get to rock bottom, forced
                into letting
                go of my hopes, beliefs and supports of a similar nature, accept the
                fact that
                nothing has happened as of yet and in reality I have no true proof
                or personal
                feeling that Shri Mataji is "the divine mother" through experience,
                and only by
                letting go of those things and simply meditating with the desire to
                know and
                hope to advance instead of the desire to have and hope to receive,
                could I then
                truly begin to meditate and begin the journey.

                I began to notice that most of the people on this forum came to Sy
                with simply
                the desire to know if what has been said is true and not to heal
                themselves of
                physical problems, or to have mystical experiences, but a pure
                desire and a day
                by day, no rush, relaxed, consistent attitude towards meditation.
                Comparing them
                to me has shown me the huge difference in what I was doing and what
                I presume
                they are doing. It's like "mother" (as if I can say that with true
                belief yet)
                was letting me run around doing this and that, acting and pretending
                I felt what
                others felt and backed that up by what I know via reading the
                website until I
                got to the point where I broke myself down to nothing, collapsed
                my "house of
                cards" if you will, and had to come back to the start fresh, with no
                expectations. It seems like it was a necessary step, perhaps even a
                breaking of
                certain conditionings that was so subtle that I didn't realize what
                was
                happening until I had a chance to reflect back at what I have been
                doing since I
                began.

                I am in no way fully understanding of this, but this little bit of
                insight that
                feels uniquely different from "thinking" this is something coming
                from outside
                my own mind (meaning it just feels right and I don't feel any doubts
                at all when
                I think of it) has me relaxed, excited to continue to meditate, and
                no longer
                worried about having this and that happen; as I feel now that
                whatever happens -
                happens and if I just meditate and take the learning curve slow,
                with no real
                detriment to any perceived timeline hanging over my head, all will
                work itself
                out. Maybe this is introspecting I don't know, but all I have said
                above seems
                so right to me when I think about it and it makes me happy and
                excited to see
                what other things about myself, both good and bad, can be found out
                and lovingly
                guided into correction; It really feels, well, full of love.

                Most of the last two paragraphs I didn't intend to write, but the
                words just
                seemed to be welling up from inside along with the feelings.

                Anyways, I just wanted to share all this with someone.

                Kyyan
              • Violet
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Dear Kyyan,

                  i have just read your letter again at the bottom of the page, and i am amazed at your spiritual growth, Kyyan, once you had the basic realization that you had to start from Ground Zero. In other words, you had to really wipe the slate clean of any previous assumptions and misconceptions and beliefs and be prepared to meditate and grow spiritually without any predetermined expectation of what should happen. In my own experience, that is where i have found i had to start from, and that was from 'scratch'.

                  The main thing that we can expect to happen is to grow spiritually and to become more of who we really are, which is the Spirit. That in fact, is the greatest thing that can happen to us and it is the greatest joy that lasts in life and stays with us. It is much greater for us than any individual mystical experience ever can be!

                  Any spiritual-mystical experiences usually only come through being the Spirit, i believe. And Being the Spirit is more like the 'meat and potatoes' or the 'rice and curry', whereas having mystical experiences is more like the dessert that is a special 'treat' for a special reason.

                  The most lasting happiness and joy, however, comes from Becoming and Being the Spirit, rather than the mystical experience, which is only a temporary experience, although it may have a lasting impact on a person's life and understanding, so is also important, when given.

                  If i had to choose between the two, though, i would choose Becoming or Being the Spirit, because that is like building one's spiritual house upon a Spiritual Rock that will stand, no matter what 'winds' and 'rain' may come.

                  Also...learning what surrender is and how to do it, is one of the great lessons to be learned in Sahaja Yoga. It is an exciting path to tread, and many amazing things will happen through that. Each person has to try it for themselves and no one can do that for you.

                  Some of these things, may seem very mundane, as compared to having mystical experiences, but when a person tries what seems to be very mundane things like surrendering, they may find that very interesting experiences happen. They will probably start to develop such spiritual qualities as spiritual insight, spiritual inspiration, spiritual intuition, spiritual wisdom and spiritual knowledge.

                  i would say that the basis of mystical experiences comes from the Higher Developed Spiritual Qualites within a person, rather than them just seemingly coming from 'out of the blue'.

                  i hope this makes sense, Kyyan.

                  love and best wishes,

                  Violet

                  - In adishakti_sahaja_yoga@yahoogroups.com, "v_koa" <v_koa@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > whatever happens -
                  > happens and if I just meditate and take the learning curve slow,
                  > with no real
                  > detriment to any perceived timeline hanging over my head, all will
                  > work itself
                  > out. Maybe this is introspecting I don't know, but all I have said
                  > above seems
                  > so right to me when I think about it and it makes me happy and
                  > excited to see
                  > what other things about myself, both good and bad, can be found
                  out
                  > and lovingly
                  > guided into correction; It really feels, well, full of love.
                  >
                  > Most of the last two paragraphs I didn't intend to write, but the
                  > words just
                  > seemed to be welling up from inside along with the feelings.
                  >
                  > Anyways, I just wanted to share all this with someone.

                • jagbir singh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
                    --- In adishakti_sahaja_yoga@yahoogroups.com, Ajay Agarwal
                    <ajay_msh@...> wrote:

                    > Hi All,
                    >
                    > My life since last 10 days had changed dramatically (
                    > I joined this group 10days back).
                    > It has been wonderful experience in the forum
                    > ..discussing on various subjects and giving opinions
                    > etc. But i must admit that some "complicated doubts"
                    > have started arising in my mind now..specially after
                    > reading so much on adishakti.org .. I look forward to
                    > this group to make me stable by satisfying my
                    > doubts/questions.

                    Dear Ajay,

                    We assure that you will become both spirtually balanced and
                    knowledgeable about Shri Mataji and Her Divine Message. This is the
                    only Sahaja Yoga forum which is open and upfront to the public.
                    Nothing is hidden so that seekers know beforehand who Shri Mataji
                    really is and what is the heart and soul of Her Message. There is no
                    hidden agenda to entice people with a false front of subtle system
                    and stress management. Right off the bat you know that what you are
                    getting into is promised by the holy scriptures. Moreover, there are
                    no leaders/coordinators pulling the strings or exerting control.
                    Here you learn to be your own master by us removing all obstacles
                    and intermediaries.

                    > After reading lot of articles on Kingdom of GOD
                    > (MEETING HIS MESSENGERS) , now i always ( you can say
                    > 24hrs - sleeping hrs)
                    > think of Shri Mataji and The Kingdom of God. I wander
                    > whether i in this life would be able to enjoy The
                    > Kingdom of God.. I don't know why and how and when i
                    > started thinking about Shri Mataji non-stop and always
                    > think that She is watching me ..my actions and my
                    > words... I am afraid talking to my friends "about
                    > girls" that we used to talk freely in tea time..

                    i really cannot say or encourage you to desire these gifts, just as
                    Kyyan has explained. It is up to the Shakti within to grant an
                    audience with Her in the Sahasrara. i personally have no such
                    desires because i have no right to ask this boon when so much has
                    already been granted through Self-realization and return to the
                    spiritual path after decades of material and sensual madness.

                    The Shakti within hears and sees everything. In fact She even knows
                    your most intimate thought or hidden secret. There is absolutely
                    nothing that you can ever hide from Her. And all is recorded by the
                    Kundalini. If in the Afterlife you try and deny anything even the
                    moment you are reading this line can be reproduced 'live' in the
                    Spirit World. i am not making this up because i have experienced all
                    that i am writing. Initially i shocked at how much the Divine knows
                    about each and every human. Shri Mataji within knows all -languages,
                    your past lives, what you are thinking right now, etc. - EVERYTHING!

                    Thus you are advised to be careful because every second is recorded
                    by the Kundalini and kept for all eternity. Take care and refrain
                    from anti-spiritual pursuits.

                    > I have started thinking that whether I am a
                    > Sahajyogi.. because i have never gone thru such
                    > wonderful exp..that group shares here. In fact , my
                    > vibrations are fluctuating vibrations (on-off type).
                    > Sometime they keep on coming...and sometime i dont
                    > feel any vibration for 4 -5 days or even 1 week.?
                    > Previously i have never got such type of questions in
                    > my mind !.

                    Just meditate and do not worry too much about vibrations because
                    they will not give you moksa. What is important is innocence and a
                    pure heart to attain the thoughtless state. It is easy to talk about
                    vibrations. Try attaining what accelerates spiritual growth and
                    eventual liberation.

                    > One advantage that i have got is that initially if i
                    > missed foot soaking for 1 -2 day..i would guilty..now
                    > i think i should not feel that guilty consious feeling
                    > ..as it is not compulsion to do foot soaking daily.
                    > That's a nice thing.

                    There a number of reasons i am against rituals and yours is one of
                    them. i implore you to rid yourself of all external crutches and
                    learn to just use your consciousness, attention and desire to solve
                    all problems. Your Mother Kundalini is more than willing to help you
                    provided you abandon lemons and chillies and give Her the respect
                    and honor due. Just surrender all problems to Her.

                    > Lastly, one important matter ...i would like the input
                    > from group on this.
                    >
                    > Last december( 2005) when I went to PUNE for Christmas
                    > Puja. I have met many SY there. Our topic of
                    > discussion slowly ..slowly came to the GOD's and their
                    > pictures ( that we normally have in our home). Most of
                    > SY's were of the opinion that these pictures does not
                    > resemble the true GOD..they are merely the fantastic
                    > imagination of painters /artist/ historician etc. and
                    > this has been coming on since decades and decades..and
                    > ....so on. They were of the opinion that nobody has
                    > seen Shri Ganesha ( So how can anyone be sure that
                    > whether he has one teeth, bigtrunk etc.) Same with all
                    > other GODS ( Shri Shiva etc..) ..the point was
                    > somebody in the past has imagined the GOD and GODESSES
                    > as like this and...since then it is coming as it is. I
                    > saw some logical point in this and after coming from
                    > Pune , i discussed and convinced my wife ( Non - SY)
                    > about the same.. and i removed the pictures of GOD's
                    > from my home. Even though my wife was not fully
                    > convinced.
                    > Now, after reading ..Kingdom of GOD (MEETING HIS
                    > MESSENGERS)... I found the description of GOD's to be
                    > the same ( as in pictures in my home)... I feel i have
                    > done something wrong...in my hurriedness..
                    > What shall i do now ? Shall i talk to my wife again
                    > and get the new pictures from market? or what? i am
                    > confused.

                    All the deities/gods exist but Indians have terrible artistic skills
                    compared to orientals. i am sometimes ashamed at the crudeness of
                    their depiction of these Gods and Goddesses.

                    But these deities are not figments of imagination of ancient sages.
                    They are 100% correct is their visions and some have met these Gods
                    and Goddesses. However, sages are not artists and their narration
                    could never do justice to what they saw with their spiritual eyes.
                    According to all my children the Shakti is extremely beautiful and
                    no woman can ever be comparable. But neither they, myself nor anyone
                    else can draw Her (or any other God or Goddess). So any image, no
                    matter even done by the greatest artist, will always lack
                    perfection. So we cannot blame those reproducing these images but
                    definitely Hindus can significantly improve their talents. Truly, i
                    have been taken aback by some terrible portraits.

                    Yes, you may buy new images but do not worship them. Some portraits
                    are sad, even insulting, copies. But why not meditate on the chakras
                    they are sitting on? And don't feel guilty. Perhaps throwing copies
                    away will help you reach new depths within yourself.

                    regards,

                    jagbir