R: [adie_syndrome] something new

  • SupeRoberta
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 1:35 PM
      Hi, girls here I am! Do you have sweat problems? I read somthing about it in
      Medline (here's the link: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/medline.html
      than click on the word "MEDLINE" and start your personal search in a
      incredible database) and now I past for You a intresting clinical article.

      No solution this time! The next time meybe...

      with love Roberta

      1: J Neuroophthalmol 1998 Jun;18(2):143-7

      Asymptomatic autonomic and sweat dysfunction in patients with Adie's
      syndrome.

      Jacobson DM, Hiner BC

      Department of Neurology, Marshfield Clinic, WI 54449, USA.

      A study was conducted to determine by using noninvasive tests whether
      autonomic
      dysfunction occurs in patients with Adie's syndrome. Eighteen consecutive
      patients with Aide's syndrome prospectively underwent a standardized battery
      of
      five noninvasive tests of autonomic function, including three that
      predominantly
      reflected parasympathetic function and two that predominantly reflected
      sympathetic function. Eight of these patients additionally underwent
      thermoregulatory sweat testing. Of the 18 patients 10 (56%) had no abnormal
      autonomic test results, 5 (28%) had one abnormal result, 2 (11%) had two
      abnormal results, and 1 (6%) had three abnormal results. None of the
      patients
      had more than three abnormal results. Tests that predominantly reflected
      parasympathetic function produced abnormal results more frequently than
      those
      that predominantly reflected sympathetic function. Three of eight (38%)
      patients
      who underwent thermoregulatory sweat testing showed abnormal patterns of
      sweating. Although abnormal autonomic and sweat functions are not uncommon
      in
      patients with Aide's syndrome, the abnormalities are mild and are generally
      unassociated with symptoms of dysautonomia. Such abnormalities have little
      clinical significance but may be important from a nosologic point of view.

      PMID: 9621272, UI: 98284292