Re: [adhikaar] balconies - area to be included in covered/super area

  • arvind midha
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
      hi vinay!

      BPE ( Bureau of Public Enterprises) had issued (sometime in late 70s) guidelines and norms for the construction of residential as well as non-residential buildings by govt deptt , PSUs and autonomous bodies.The norms set by BPE were being followed till recent.Even MES,CPWD and most of the State PWDs used to refer the norms for new constructions.The private colonisers do follow the norms and bye-laws as stipulated by the local governing bodies viz Deptt of Town & Country planing, State govt. controlled Development Authoritie, Nagar Nigams ,Municipal corporation etc.
      As such , there may be variation in norms  as regarding computation of covered areas/carpet areas etc from location to location, since house/ property taxes are billed accordingly.
      Trust the above may help you.

      arvind midha

      vinay singh <vinay16318@...> wrote:
      I find that all builders, while computing the covered area, take 50% of the area of balconies. The exception is the Army Welfare Housing Organisation (AWHO).  The Air Force and Naval Housing Board (AFNHB), MES and PWD also take 50%. The Engineer-in- Chief's technical Intstruction also specifies 50%.
        Is there any document or law that specifies the correct figure?
      I have filed a case in the State Consumer Commission in Delhi against the AWHO. The issue had still to be resolved.
      Can anyone enlighten me on this subject ?

      VK Singh

      Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with Yahoo! for Good

      arvind midha

    • Rahul Kumar
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
        VK,

        In buildings there are two different languages used -
        Covered area and Carpet area.

        Covered area is taken as the complete area including
        balconies. Terrace is generally taken as 50% or at
        times 75% also by some builders. For that matter some
        of them even include the "chajjas" of windows. This
        also includes the common area. All apartments have
        this included as the builder always distributes the
        charges for common area (namely stairs, lift and the
        landing area) at each floor added to the floor area of
        the flats on that floor.

        Carpet area is the exact size of the rooms excluding
        walls also. The floor area.

        Generally in residential areas the ratio is 10% - 15%
        and commercial 15% - 20%

        The builder needs to specify all the above while
        selling the property.

        I dont think there is any law to it.

        rgds
        rahul