Arbitrary School Fee Hike - Request Opinion / Advice

  • Mukund Holkar
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2009
      Hi,
      Can 'ADHIKAAR' throw some light on a recent issue of ---

      "ARBITRARY & Extortionist Kind of hike in School Fees"
      A reputed school in NASIK has arbitrarily increased School Fees by
      15% to 40%, inspite of protests from hapless parents the school management (in reality a one-man show)
      declared the hike without calling for any opinion from the parents.

      Similar issue of School fee hike is brewing all over the country, recently Delhi High Court granted a stay on 25/03/2009.

      Request you views with relevant Court judgements.
    • USHA Venuvopal
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2009
        Hello Members,
          M. Mukund has rightly put the up issue in the right time. Every Single School, either government affiliated or government aided or private management has raised the school fees to such a height, the parents, especially, middle class and lower middle class have to take loan or apply from Banks with a higher inteest or taking loan from private persons with exorbidant interest, just to manage the arrears of school fees from JAN. 2006 and to pay the hiked fees for the quarter APR - JUNE, 2009.
            What is the HOPELESS Government sitting and doing for this. JUST focussing on the next election? How can it allow the Schools to do the same?  The 6th Pay Commission is just an eye wash, giving little fish at oneside and taking the biggest fishes on the other side and just allowing every sector to raise the fee/amount and to squeeze the helpless public to such an extent that not only they loose their little fish but also put earnest efforts to fish more little fishes and to submit one to each sector, viz Schools, Books, Textiles, Food, Hospitals, etc.

           In Delhi, the Capital of India is the biggest epicentre for corruption and money flow.  All chhota mota schools have hiked schools fees of minimum Rs.1000/- per month and for this quarter with all arrears it comes around Rs. 40 to 50 Thousands.  Where will the parents go and knock the doors? How will they cope up for such a sudden unimaginable hike in fees, books and uniforms?  My Son is studying in THE AIRFORCE SCHOOL. since 2007, but I am compelled to pay the difference of hike in fees since JAN. 2006. Without calling for opinion from the parents, the Management has decided to collect and hence issues bills on 2nd of April for payment on or before 10th of April, 2009.   Now, the School Bill has come to Rs. 25,000/-. There is only one earning Member in my family.  I haven't pay the same till date.  It is very difficult for me to cope up this amount at once. Thank God, I have only one son and somehow I have to manage this.  Just think of families having more than one child.  MY GOODNESS.

             I ,too,  would like to have your views on this with relevant copies of Court Judgement before I pay this fees to School with a condone note.  Thank U all.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2009
          Dear member,

          Your observations are quite logical.All schools (of course with some exception) have become commercial establishments and  they are taking the advantages of tax subsidies in the name of social obligations.
          In Indore/Ujjain  region,parents have formed associations and they have approached Consumers' Forum to know the rationale for hike in the fees.I have come across some news elsewhere that the Consumer forum has asked the institutions  for financial justification in respect of fees hike.
          .All the parents do find it extremely difficult to bear this impact.
          I am sure if  concerned parents  group together and take the help of consumer forum,they may get some guidelines .

          arvind midha

          Can 'ADHIKAAR' throw some light on a recent issue of ---

          "ARBITRARY & Extortionist Kind of hike in School Fees"
          A reputed school in NASIK has arbitrarily increased School Fees by
          15% to 40%, inspite of protests from hapless parents the school management (in reality a one-man show)
          declared the hike without calling for any opinion from the parents.

          Similar issue of School fee hike is brewing all over the country, recently Delhi High Court granted a stay on 25/03/2009.

          Request you views with relevant Court judgements.

          Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0! Click here.