Community acupuncture opens in Missoula

  • edmailer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2011
      http://www.kaj18.com/news/first-community-acupuncture-opens-in-missoula/

      0.0 (0 votes) MISSOULA- A University of Montana alum opened Missoula's first community acupuncture clinic last week.

      UM Alum Michael Peluso earned his Bachelors in European History from the University of Montana. He was ready for medical school, but when traditional medicine couldn't cure his own health problem his career took a different turn.

      "It was either really drugs or surgery and I thought at 25 years old that's just completely unacceptable. And so I had been introduced to sort of natural medicine through many different routes. Being in Missoula it's more prevelant than it was in the East where I came from, so I pursued natural medicine," Peluso explained.

      University of Montana student Megan Riggs uses acupuncture for pain and stress relief. She says that at first she didn't know what to expect.

      "I had some lower back pain and he just put one needle right here and he said 'ok satnd up, where's your back pain?', and I said 'it's gone', and after that I was like, 'Ok I'm a believer', I was skeptical up until that point."

      Peluso is passionate about the community model for acupuncture because it makes it affordable. Treating up to four people at a time allows the clinic to keep costs down.

      "My goal for this clinic is to not charge people more than I could afford for myself, and I'm really here to sort of ensure social value and human rights. The human right to medicine, the human right to health care. If people need it they need to be able to get in and this is my grassroots part," Peluso stated.

      Acupuncturists go through a four year oriental medicine program before becoming licensed.