Tibetan Medicine for Everyone, a new monthly series

  • Matthew Schmookler
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2006
      Dear Friends and Fellow Practitioners,

      We are writing to let you know about new and exciting events coming up here
      at the Shang Shung School of Traditional Tibetan Medicine. The first class
      of students has just started its second year and is currently studying pulse
      diagnosis, the largest and deepest section of diagnosis in the ancient
      medical texts, which includes the �Seven Amazing Pulses� of divination and
      all of the pathological pulses.

      We are currently accepting applications (www.shangshung.org) for the
      incoming class, the second to date, to embark on our four-year journey of
      the first-of-its-kind complete training in Traditional Tibetan Medicine in
      the West. We have also thought of those who may not be quite ready for a
      journey of such length, and below you will find information on the monthly
      series �Tibetan Medicine for Everyone�. These talks will cover the main
      topics and ideas in Tibetan medicine, and will take place on the third
      Friday of every month at our Northampton healing center, where Tibetan
      medicine consultations and Kunye massage sessions are offered on a regular
      ongoing basis. Dr. Phuntsog Wangmo, the director of the Shang Shung School
      of Traditional Tibetan Medicine, will be the main speaker of the series: her
      first lecture, Life Stories of a Doctor from the Land of Snow, will be based
      on Dr. Wangmo�s personal experience of practicing medicine in the mountains
      of Tibet. We invite you all to join us for this wonderful introductory
      class, and we include here below the complete schedule for the series.

      Dr. Wangmo also travels around New England to spread knowledge and awareness
      about the healing traditions of Tibet. Last weekend Dr. Wangmo gave a short
      teaching on The Dharma in the Eyes and Actions of the Tibetan Physician at
      �The Many Flavors of the Dharma�, held at Smith College in Northampton. In
      her presentation, she shared on the unique code of conduct for Tibetan
      Physicians, based on unconditional compassion for all suffering people. Next
      weekend Dr. Wangmo will participate in the TibetFest in Connecticut.
      (HYPERLINK "http://www.tibetfest.com/"http://www.tibetfest.com/ )

      We hope you are all enjoying the fruits and colors of autumn.

      Best wishes,
      Matthew Schmookler
      Student Representative
      Shang Shung School of Traditional Tibetan Medicine
      (413) 369 - 4928
      matt@...
      HYPERLINK "http://www.shangshung.org"http://www.shangshung.org

      Tibetan Medicine for Everyone

      A monthly series with Dr. Phuntsog Wangmo
      Shang Shung Tibetan Healing Center in Northampton, MA
      16 Center St. Suite 323
      the third Friday of every month from 7 - 9pm
      Suggested Minimum Donation $ 15
      RSVP:(413) 585 -1081

      October 20th, Life Stories of a Doctor from the Land of Snow : Dr. Wangmo
      will talk about the work doctors of Tibetan Medicine practicing in remote
      villages, their responsibilities, and their place in the community

      November 23rd, Exploring the Relationship between the Sciences of Healing
      and Astrology : Introduction to the ways in which astrology relates to and
      augments the Tibetan science of healing.

      December 22nd, Tibetan Herbs & Everyday Health: Common Tibetan Herbs and
      simple ways to use them to maintain everyday well-being.

      February 16th, Jewelry for Beauty or Health? This lecture will focus on
      specific gems and stones worn not only as decoration but also to protect
      one's health and prevent certain diseases.

      March 23rd, The Ancient Art of Heat and Cold Therapy: Dr. Wangmo will
      explain how to make and use hot and cold packs according to the traditional
      Tibetan methods.

      April 20th, Traditional Tibetan Kunye Massage: What is Kunye? How is it
      done and what are its benefits?

      May 18th, Good Digestion: the Basis of Vitality: An introduction to the
      importance of healthy digestion and how the rest of the body relies upon it,
      and how to treat indigestion and maintain digestive health.

      May All Beings Be Healthy!