Student turns traditional Chinese herbs into jewellery

  • edmailer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      By Yvonne Cheong, ChannelNewsAsia.com

      SINGAPORE : Traditional Chinese medicine has become increasingly
      popular among younger Singaporeans.

      An NTU student has taken the trend a step further by turning
      ginseng, lotus seeds and the like into jewellery that you can wear.

      Traditional Chinese herbs like ginseng, anise seed, licorice root
      and even chrysanthemum are handcrafted by Jaren Ho and her partner
      into earrings.

      Their love for traditional Chinese medicine goes beyond the
      jewellery; even their t-shirts have similar themes.

      Said Jaren, "My grandparents used to run a medicine hall. They
      retired a few years ago. I hope to preserve their brand name."

      The name FU LI has now become her fashion brand.

      The NTU undergraduate started making jewellery two years ago and
      only created these niche designs recently.

      She advises her customers to keep the jewellery in a cool and dry
      place so they will last longer, and hopes to sell her works at the
      airport to create greater awareness of Traditional Chinese Medicine
      among tourists. – CNA /ct