Morning diarrhea linked to weakened 'chi'

  • isom@khu.ac.kr
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 5:45 PM
      If a man frequently wakes up at the crack of dawn and find himself
      running to the bathroom clenching his abdomen, it may be a sign that
      he is running low on "chi."

      When chi is depleted, food eaten at night is not properly digested,
      and enters the intestines while you sleep in a form that cannot be
      processed properly. It is therefore expelled immediately upon waking.

      This variety of diarrhea which also affects men with a generally weak
      constitution is more serious than diarrhea occurring at other times
      of the day as it disrupts the flow of already-low chi, resulting in a
      feeling of exhaustion throughout the day.

      People suffering from this kind of diarrhea should undergo
      moxibustion treatments on a point just below the navel, which Koreans
      call "chihye" or the "sea of chi." Moxibustion is a form of treatment
      where heat is applied to a certain spot on the body using a burning
      moxa stick. Moxa, a soft, downy material is made from the dried
      leaves of the Artemisia Vulgaris plant.

      Another good treatment available from Oriental medicine clinics is
      called "danjon yobob" in Korean.

      If these treatments are not immediately available, OMDs recommend
      those suffering from loose bowels to rub the "kihae" area with the
      palm of the hand about 50 times using a counter-clockwise motion.
      Make sure you keep your hands below the navel.

      Although there are many reasons for depleted chi, OMD find that the
      weakened chi causing morning diarrhea often results from a stressed
      and weakened liver and excessive sexual activity. According to
      Oriental medicine, such over indulgence results in not only weakened
      chi and the problems associated with this - but also a shortened
      lifespan.

      OMDs generally disagree with the opinion of many Western physicians
      who believe that regular sexual activity, while not excessive,
      actually benefits the body.

      Men who fit this profile are advised to try a herbal remedy that
      supplements "yang" or the active energy the abdominal area needs. One
      highly recommended tea contains the herbs Koreans
      call "duchung," "myang-gwak," "dosaja" and "hodu," or walnuts.
      Interestingly, duchung is thought to strengthen the ligaments in the
      back, as it actually looks like a ligament itself.

      If none of these remedies work, OMD advise making "juk," or a thin
      rice gruel, made from rice and dried, roasted and powdered persimmon,
      a fruit known to be binding. Additionally, eating raw ginger may also
      help relieve the diarrhea.

      To find more articles about Oriental medicinal herbs in this series,
      go to The Korea Herald Web site (www.koreaherald.co.kr) and
      type "herb and shin" into the search field.
    • isom@khu.ac.kr
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4 6:21 PM
        'chihye', or 'kihae' => CV6
        'Duchung' => Eucommia Bark(Eucommia Ulmoidis Cortex. Du Zhong in
        chinese)
        'myang-gwak' => Epimedium(Epimedii Herba)
        'Dosaja' => Cuscutae Chinensis, Semen (Tu Si Zi in chinese)

      • Jadefrst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5 5:47 AM
          I've heard of this kind of diarrhea called, "cock's crow diarrhea", and it
          was considered
          SP qi def. caused in turn by KD qi def.

          R. Scott
        • Ed Kasper
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 10:03 AM
            TCM also refers to this condition as daybreak diarrhea.

            other s/s include facial puffiness and edema of limbs; pale, swollen,
            delicate tongue, and a deep, weak pulse. Cold limbs, pallor, sore and weak
            lumbar and knees,

            is treated by Tonifying the Kidney Yang and Spleen Yang.
            moxa is great (as indicated below)
            the traditional herbal formula is

            si shen wan also know as the 4 AM pills - or Four Miracle Pill
            BU gu zhi Fructus Psoraleae Corylifoliae
            wu zhu yu Fructus Evodiae Rutacarpae
            Rou dou kou Semen Myristicae Frangrantis
            wu wei zi Fructus Schizandrae Chinensis
            sheng jiang zINGIBERIS oFFICINALIS rECENS, rHIZOMA
            da zao Fructus Zizyphi Jujubae

            Ed Kasper L.Ac., Acupuncturist & Medicinal Herbalist
            http://HappyHerbalist.com eddy@...
            Free Office Visit online at
            http://www.happyherbalist.com/tcm_Herbal_Diagnosis.htm
            Free Treatment for Parkinson's. - Recovery is Possible
            http://www.happyherbalist.com/parkinsons_treatment.htm
            Free Kombucha, free Samples, Recipes and brewing tips
            http://www.happyherbalist.com/free_Kombucha.htm