Acupressure?

  • DautoBrody@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 1999
      Just wondering if anyone can answer this question for me...I've been studying
      acupressure, and using it succesfully in treating my self and family for minor
      discomforts, and problems. One thing I have noticed is that the acupressure
      points are named, and I was wondering if these are the same names as those
      used in acupuncture. For example...a point for head and eye pains, nosebleeds
      and spleen is called 80, and is located under the base of the skull on either
      side of the center..another point is for bursitis, shoulder/arm pain, called
      81, located in the posterior part of the shoulder joint. Would it be more of
      a help or hinderance for me to study the names as well as location, or would
      this only get confused with the actual names of the meridian points used with
      acupuncture?

      Thanks
      Lauren

      ps-Does anyone use acupressure along with acupuncture with their patients?
    • Eisenstark@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8, 1999
        I think you would make a big leap in your practice if you would learn the
        point names. For example, it sounds like 80 is GallBladder 20 (fengChi-
        windgate in Chinese if I remember right). There are many meridians and knowing
        which is which will take you to another level of understanding. Also pick up
        The Web that has No Weaver for a discussion of Chinese Medicine.
        Sometimes I do acupressure but the needles are alot easier....
        best of luck,
        doug
      • Miablkman@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 9, 1999
          Acupuncture points seem to follow a different system. The point you mentioned
          in the base of the scull at the sides of the neck is called Gallbladder 20. I
          feel that the Chinese system may be more advantages for research and
          additional information about the points. I study acupuncture and can do
          acupressure using the same principles

          Sandy
        • DautoBrody@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 9, 1999
            Thank you to Doug and Sandy for the reply!
            I actually started The Web that Has No Weaver a while ago, and am making my
            way through it. A very interesting book though:) And actually, the
            acupuncturist I visited a few times in New Jersey was taught by Ted Kapulchuk
            ( I know I misspelled his name:), the books author.
            Another great book is Acupuncture as a Viabl Medical Alternative, by Marie
            Cargill. This is full of brief accounts of case studies and the results she
            accomplished to many different problems. This is a book I highly recommend:)
            It made me even more enthusiastic about studyind acupuncture and helping
            people. Does anyone have any favorite books concerning acupuncture or
            chinese medicine? I'm alwasy interested in new books, and there are so many
            out there, any comments would be helpful.

            Thanks!
            Be Well
            Lauren
          • Eisenstark@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 1999
              Another good book is by Misha Cohen, called The Chinese Way of Health (I
              think, that's the title). Very interesting for patients to read....
            • Miablkman@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 10, 1999
                If you can visit a school and ask what is the text book they are using to
                teach theory, you may find some nice books. The book we used is called
                affectionarely the "CAM" book ..ouch it's in my car and I cant remember the
                complete title. It is used for board exams too. I think it isThe Chinese
                Medicine and Moxabuction text book.
              • Rasa Lila
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 10, 1999
                  ". The book we used is called
                  >affectionarely the "CAM" book ..ouch it's in my car and I cant remember the
                  >complete title. "

                  Yes, it's a common one, full title is Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion".
                  It is good giving a nice explanation of all the organ systems as well as the
                  different meridians and TCM differentiation for different Chinese disease
                  syndromes.

                  Rasa Lila
                • JAZOHJAZ@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 10, 1999
                    Hi, my name is Jasmine and I am currently enrolled in acupuncture school. We
                    are also using CAM. The full title is "Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion"
                    by Cheng Xinnong. It's pretty much the bible of Acupuncture and Oriental
                    medicine at my school. Full of lots of important information, from
                    fundamental theories of Chinese Medicine to the meridian points and pathways.
                    Also, for theory, you can check out "The Foundations of Chinese Medicine" by
                    Giovanni Maciocia.
                    Good luck!
                    Jasmine
                  • JAZOHJAZ@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 10, 1999
                      One more thing about CAM...it DOES have some mistakes in it, as far as point
                      location goes. A few printing errors here and there. So, make sure you know
                      your points so you can find the mistakes!

                      Jasmine
                    • Miablkman@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 11, 1999
                        Doug hi, have you ever tried magnets ...they are quite affective
                      • Miablkman@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 11, 1999
                          Where is your school located? Mine is in Miami. We used the same books.
                          Which points are you referring to that are mistakes in the CAM book?

                          Sandy