Acupuncture vs. Aquapuncture

  • Susan A Nelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2000
      One of my vets used aquapuncture on my dog for his osteoarthritis in his
      knee. I did not find it worked as good as the acupuncture my other vet
      used. Can anyone shed some light on why?

      Also, can someone not involved in the medical field take a class on
      Acupuncture or acupressure and if so who do I contact for information?
      Sue Nelson
      Buena Park, Ca
      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Christine Giannini
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2000
        > From: Susan A Nelson <shaggyluv@...>
        >
        > One of my vets used aquapuncture on my dog for his osteoarthritis in his
        > knee. I did not find it worked as good as the acupuncture my other vet
        > used. Can anyone shed some light on why?

        It is generally recommended not to shower or bathe for at least one hour before and two hours after a treatment because the body is bioelectric and water conducts electricity (chi), literally washing away the treatment that was set with needles. I would expect the aquapuncture would be soothing, but not as lasting an effect as with needles.

        > Also, can someone not involved in the medical field take a class on
        > Acupuncture or acupressure and if so who do I contact for information?

        Lay people can take classes in acupressure at massage schools. Acupuncture classes are usually reserved for those seeking a license, but you could call one of the acupuncture schools if you want to sit in. Animal acupuncture is not generally taught as part of that program. In California, it's probably illegal to do animal acupuncture unless you're a vet. Vets didn't want acupuncturists treating their patients so got such laws passed.

        Christine Giannini, L.Ac.
        Bothell, WA
      • Patrick Dooley
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2000
          Hi Susan,

          There is most likely a simple answer to why one vet
          was more effective than the other.

          Remember acupuncture is a tool. It takes a long long
          time to become consistently effective using it. It
          also demands a deep understanding of some Chinese
          medicinal paradigms, such as Yin and Yang, Wu Xing,
          to start with.

          People can learn about where acupuncture points sit
          on the body be it dogs, cats, horses or humans. Anyone
          can learn this , but learning how all these point
          interact with each other and the body/mind/soul demands
          a paradigm shift. What I mean by paradigm shift is that
          one must learn to see pathology from a Chinese perspective.

          One vet might understand the workings behind the acupuncture
          treatment where the other did not. The first vet might have
          jut got lucky by using a "cook book" approach where the
          second didn't get lucky if they were using a "cook book"
          approach.

          When I say "Cook Book " approach I mean a book that has
          recipes for different problems, sometimes they work and
          sometimes they don't.

          Individualised treatment works most of the time but demands
          a thorough diagnosis for each patient each time they visit.

          As I live in Sweden I can't help you with your other query

          Cheers

          Patrick Dooley, President
          Global Commerce
          ------------------------------------
          TCM, Acupuncturist.
          Personal and Leadership Facilitator.
          ------------------------------------

          Sweden Phone: +46 70 354 6541

          TOLL FREE
          Fax: +1 (877) 863-6816
          Voicemail: +1 (877) 863-6816

          Morinda ID# 117774
          ICQ# 6174430

          - ### "The mind is like a parachute, ### -
          - ### functions ONLY when open!" ### -

          Manuia (mah noo'ya) Tahitian for "Good Fortune"
          Learn how you too can benefit from the NoniDrink!
          http://www.nonidrink.com
          patrick@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2000
            Thanks for your explanation sue