Acupuncturists Without Borders barred fromserving the people of New Orleans

  • Jennifer Mary Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
      Interesting:

      Acupuncturists Without Borders (AWB) has been barred from serving the people of New Orleans. Please take to time to read more about it; I hope you will be motivated to sign the petition and help bring AWB back to Louisiana. People need our care and concern. Thank you for your time and understanding.

      Medical Board Bars Relief Efforts By Volunteer Acupuncturists Citing the
      "Absence of a Demonstrated Need"

      February 20, 2006, New Orleans

      Diana Fried, Executive Director of Acupuncturists Without Borders, announced that the Louisiana Board of Medical Examiners has forced AWB to immediately terminate all of its humanitarian relief efforts in Louisiana. The Board, in a letter dated February 17, 2006, gave as its reasoning, the "absence of a demonstrated need" for relief work by out-of-state volunteer acupuncturists.

      AWB has provides free treatments on a walk-in basis to residents, National Guardsmen, EMT's, workers and officials for FEMA and the Red Cross, policemen, firemen, utility workers, contractors, volunteers at emergency facilities, food kitchens, health clinics, and other locations throughout the city. After Friday's story about AWB in the Times Picayune, and today's on WDSU-TV, AWB has received hundreds of phone calls and emails from residents about where people can get treatments (many are urgent cries for help). At every clinic people desperately ask when the organization will return.

      AWB volunteer out-of-state licensed acupuncturists have been providing free acupuncture treatments for stress, trauma, and insomnia at numerous locations in New Orleans and surrounding areas, from health clinics to emergency operations centers. To date over 4000 free treatments have been performed. AWB planned to continue providing thousands more over the coming months.

      Director Fried stated: "The Board's failure to recognize the continued need for free acupuncture treatments is puzzling, at best. We know of only one Louisiana-licensed individual who is willing to do this work in New Orleans and that person can only commit to one day a month." AWB's free acupuncture treatment program is the only known acupuncture program offering free stress relief treatments to Hurricane victims in New Orleans and surrounding areas.

      AWB will be seeking relief from DHH Secretary Cerise and the Louisiana Medical Board. John MacDonald, AWB's Director of Policy and Planning, expressed his doubt whether the Board will address this issue in a timely fashion . "We wrote the Board in December. They met in mid-January but did not inform us of their decision until their letter dated February 17th, I contacted the Board today and was told that the Board required 72 hours notice and would not look at our response until their meeting in late March. The Board's apparent lack of any sense of urgency is puzzling given the desperate need for health services of all types."

      Sign the Petition to bring back Acupuncturists without borders to New Orleans: http://acuwithoutborders.org/govt_rule_change.php

      Contact: Diana Fried
      Acupuncturists Without Borders
      504-232-7091

      http://www.acuwithoutborders.org/about_us.php

      December 14, 2005

      To Whom It May Concern:

      As shelter coordinator here at St. Anthony/ICM shelter, we've had the pleasure of working with the group Acupuncturists Without Borders on a weekly basis. Since our shelter is comprised entirely of a Vietnamese community, acupuncture is a form of healing which is deeply rooted in our culture. This group has brought relief from pain and stress for so many. Our evacuees have been through so much these past few months that this one measure of relief has been received with much gratitude by them. I bear witness to the fact that our evacuees look forward to these weekly visits. I highly recommend the services provided by Acupuncturists Without Borders and can only hope that they continue to help others in whatever capacity they can.

      Mary Nguyen
      Shelter Coordinator
      St. Anthony/ICM Shelter
      Baton Rouge, LA

    • Hoang Ho
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006
        Louisiana has a history of suddenly veering from the status quo when it comes to medicine. It may be a result of insane being banished to there after the French Revolution and American Civil War. One witnessed account is the recent attempt at murder of infirmed at the Hurricane scenario. People were injected and killed during the storm.

        Jennifer Mary Williams <happyinlove@...> wrote: Interesting:

[...]

        Alternative medicine Alternative therapies in health and medicine Complementary and alternative medicine Complementary alternative medicine Alternative medicine magazine National center for complementary and alternative medicine