Re: [acupuncture] Hypothyroidism

  • Elizabeth McDowell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2006
      Dear Elle,

      Do you know the cause of your hypothyroidism? Is it a problem with the hypothalamus, pituitary, or thyroid gland itself?

      Acupuncture may help your condition, but it would be a slow process. Chinese Herbal Medicine would be a more effective way to go, and you would see results faster. Hypothyroidism from the Chinese Medicine perspective is generally due to a deficiency of your Kidney and Spleen Yang energy, which results in slow metabloism, feeling cold, lethargy, fatigue, accumulation of damp-phlegm (fat) in the body, constipation, etc. A good practitioner would prescribe a formula based on TCM principals and diagnosis, and then would consider the western as well and inlclude herbs based on the western diagnois. For example, if your thyroid problem stems from a thyroid tumor, the formula would Warm the yang-qi, transform phlegm-dampness, AND then we would include herbs to specifically target getting rid of the tumor.

      Whether you take hormone replacement or not depends on the severity of your condition. If it is quite severe, my recommendation would be to take the hormones and the herbs together. As you begin to feel better, and the formula begins to work, you and your physician can decide maybe to taper off the hormones slowly.

      I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, please let me know!

      Best Regards,

      Elizabeth McDowell, L.Ac.

      hikenswim <hikenswim@...> wrote:
      How successful can acupunture be in restoring low (hypo) blood levels, and has anyone
      seen success solely with TCM - without natural thyroid hormone replacement?

      And what is the philosphy behind it?

      thanks!
      elle

      ---------------------------------

    • drjudyhou@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2006
        hypothyroidism may need to check if diagnosis as Hashimoto. The blood test
        you need down:
        1. A hormone test. Blood tests can determine the amount of hormones produced
        by your thyroid and pituitary glands. If your thyroid is underactive, the
        level of thyroid hormone is low. At the same time, the level of TSH is elevated
        because your pituitary gland tries to stimulate your thyroid gland to
        produce more thyroid hormone.
        2.An antibody test. Because Hashimoto's disease is an autoimmune disorder,
        the cause involves production of abnormal antibodies. A blood test may confirm
        the presence of such antibodies.

        Chinese medicine exactly can treat it!
        Are you an acupuncturist? If yes, ask your patient to check the blood and
        make a correct diagnosis, then you need to see the patient has qi or yang
        deficiency, then you need mail to me the result, I'll tell you the treatment.

        We have patients with hypothyroidism treat by Chinese medicine the blood T3,
        T4 and TSH get to normal level.

        You need to know Western medical diagnosis is very important to direct
        clinical treatment!

        Best!

        Judy
        anmedicine.com

        In a message dated 1/29/2006 4:15:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        hikenswim@... writes:

        How successful can acupunture be in restoring low (hypo) blood levels, and
        has anyone
        seen success solely with TCM - without natural thyroid hormone replacement?

        And what is the philosphy behind it?

        thanks!
        elle

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • andrey fedichev
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2006
          Hello Elle

          I was looking for the same info and i found one link

          http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/archives2002/jul/07abbate.html

          hope it helps

          Andrei

          hikenswim <hikenswim@...> wrote:
          How successful can acupunture be in restoring low (hypo) blood levels, and has anyone
          seen success solely with TCM - without natural thyroid hormone replacement?

          And what is the philosphy behind it?

          thanks!
          elle

        • Kevin Scrimgeour
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
            THere are two special points in the back of neck mentioned in Gorge su de
            morant book. Acupunture Chinoise. I have had good result from this. Also Dr
            Tong's points are useful. I combined both as well as building liver qi as
            well as kidney yang the mother of the liver.

            Hypothyroid could be seen as a yang deficiency in terms if symptoms. SO it
            can be controlled or lessened by building the yang qi.

            Kevin Scrimgeour
            Doctor and Concierge
            "a personal approach to life."
            24/7 cell 778 227 1796

            >From: "hikenswim" <hikenswim@...>
            >To: acupuncture@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [acupuncture] Hypothyroidism
            >Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 03:04:32 -0000
            >
            >How successful can acupunture be in restoring low (hypo) blood levels, and
            >has anyone
            >seen success solely with TCM - without natural thyroid hormone replacement?
            >
            >And what is the philosphy behind it?
            >
            >thanks!
            >elle

          • hikenswim