Re: [acupuncture] Re: New here: First treatment -- it's WORSE! Help!

  • ACT1 Consulting
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 24, 2005
      Monica,

      Two things:

      1. The nausea is not uncommon. Its basically nothing more than the "fear" of the process. It happened to me my first time. Its like someone that feels faint if they see blood. Two tips; Have a full stomach and drink something high in sugar just before treatment. My acupuncturist suggested this and it worked fine.

      2. I STRONGLY suspect that you are suffering from anxiety disorder (Dont be alarmed). I too suffered from this and it can be brought on by many things and often is a result of the dominoe effect of a lot of things; Stress, Sadness, Financial worries, work worries etc.
      Mine was so severe that I could not function for 3 weeks.

      While I admire those that prefer herbal remedies, please keep in mind that not all herbal remedies are fully understood why they do what they do.
      Please dont take chances. Go to your GP. I did. I was given Lexapro and within 1 1/2 weeks the symptoms lessened. Now I'm back to normal and off of any medication.

      Please Please don't let yourself suffer.....

      David

      grazzinik <grazzinik@...> wrote:

      Hi, Monica.

      Your situation sounds like a combination of things. One being that
      your acupuncturist didn't tell you that acupuncture can actually
      cause the problems to intensify at the beginning. This doesn't
      always happen, but it can; it can also affect other systems.
      Everybody's bodies respond differently, but you should see an
      improvement in a few treatments.

      That being said...Jody is right that you should check the
      credentials. I'm not sure from what you've said if it is a break-
      down in communication between you and your practitioner (she/he
      didn't explain things, you didn't understand...Chinese medical
      terminology can be confusing if it's not explained well).

      What the practitioner said about "not being strong enough"...sounds
      like another communication issue. It's not that you aren't strong
      enough, but more that that tx was too strong for you at that
      moment...points used, number of needles, length of time they are
      retained, gauge used are all things that vary depending on the
      pt's "strength" or that of the pathogen (when that applies).
      Bottomline...there are adjustments that can be made.

      If you do have a deficiency (hard to tell without seeing you,
      checking pulse, tongue, other symptoms)...Chinese Medicine talks in
      terms of excess, deficiency or a combination of the
      two)...acupressure and massage would be good, acupuncture would be
      better especially with herbs. If the herbs are given in a classical
      formula, they have been combined to enhance the healing properties
      and mitigate side-effects. It is always possible to have a
      reaction, but they don't seem to be as common as drug reactions. I
      have been using formulas for years and prescribing them, as
      well...I'm struggling to think of one issue I've had. Probably if
      the diagnosis wasn't quite right...eg. too many herbs for a
      deficient patient...can tax an already taxed system. If you have
      food allergies, advise your practitioner as many herbs/medicinals
      are as the name sounds...from differnt parts of plants. If you are
      still hesitant, ask for food therapy. If your practitioner has been
      trained in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), he/she should be able
      to recommend foods that will help & those to avoid.

      Last thing...you said you had your heart checked out, and everything
      was fine. I'm just wondering if they checked your thyroid at that
      time, too. Sometimes those symptoms are related to elevated thyroid
      levels. Acu & herbs should be able to help regardless, but you
      might want to find out just so you're not worried about it.

      Hope that helps.

      Kris

      <ollyoops2002@y...> wrote:
      > > > God, we HAVE the SAME symptoms. The acupuncture has helped
      me. She also
      > > gave me some herbs to take that made my symptoms worse so I
      stopped those (Ease
      > > Plus and Calm Spirit) There is an herbal remedy called THREE
      IMMPRTALS that is
      > > suppose to help the palpitations. After the first treatment, I
      really didn't feel any
      > > better and I still got the palpitations but after a couple of
      treatments they got better.
      > > i would keep going for a couple more times. What did the
      acupuncturist say about it?

      > > > PS-I also had all the heart tests done and my heart is fine.
      All the symptoms are
      > > triggered by anxiety and/or hormonal changes....
      > > >

      > > > Monica <monicasf@a...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello everyone,
      > > >
      > > > I never tried acupuncture before and was encouraged by friends
      to give it a shot.
      > > I've
      > > > been dealing with a lot of strange symptoms over the last year
      (possibly hormonal),
      > > > including palpitations, shortness of breath, chest pain and
      many others. Lately they
      > > > had improved considerably and I was feeling much better, but
      still had problems on
      > > > and off.
      > > >
      > > > I decided to go to an acupuncturist and had my first treatment
      on Saturday. I didn't
      > > > expect much from one treatment -- in fact I thought the worst
      thing that could
      > > > happen woud be nothing at all. Whoa! I got nausiated during
      the treatment and
      > > > started having palpiations about an hour later, and it's been
      getting worse since. I
      > > > couldn't sleep much of last night and I'm having real bad
      palpitations today.

      > > > Have others had such bad experiences with acupuncture? What
      could have gone
      > > > wrong? I suppose it could be a fluke, but I doubt it. If this
      was triggered again by
      > > the
      > > > acupuncture, will it go away? Any suggestions would be much
      appreciated. I'm very
      > > > upset about this whole episode.
      > > >
      > > > P.S. I have no heart problems -- I had everything checked over
      the summer and I'm
      > > > ok.

      Service.

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 25, 2005
        Hi Monica.

        In my humble opinion it sounds like you might be goint through a big
        change in your life that is giving you great deal of stress. I see
        it as stress causing your liver fire to rise creating heat in your
        heart. I am wondering if the needles were inserted above the waist
        first. In your case needles should be inserted below the waist to
        drained the heat from your liver and then sooth your spirit. As
        others have mentioned it is very difficult to know what you have
        without seeing you but in my opinion if liver heat is cooled and
        heart is soothed you should be ok.

        Good luck.
        Michael
        --- In acupuncture@yahoogroups.com, "grazzinik" <grazzinik@h...>