Re: [acupuncture] Fw: yin yoga

  • bobbiaqua@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
      In a message dated 11/30/03 2:02:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      finetuning@... writes:
      I am happy to elaborate on the practice of Yin Yoga for anyone who is
      interested.
      I would be very interested as this is something I have never heard of.

      Thanks,

      Bobbi

    • Penel Eynde LeGrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2003
        Hi Anna,
        My only experience with anyone close to Dr. Motoyama came at a yoga
        conference a couple years ago when I took a class taught by Paul
        Grilley.

        I've been wondering since then if Grilley captured the essence of the
        "yin yoga" of Dr. Motoyama or if his focus was of something he, Paul
        Grilley, personally needed to do.

        In my 50s with ligaments like rubberbands and joints painfully wanting
        to give out to osteoarthritis I found Grilly's class not to address my
        own physical issues in the short time he had to show us anything.

        Grilley kept telling us that given time, ligaments tighten back up.

        (One thing he did do that I felt was a most educational part of the
        class for me was show us a whole fagot of femurs so we could compare
        the variations people have of the length and angle of it's neck. It
        was a part of his explaination of why not everyone will ever be able
        go deeply into some asana like padmasana.)

        It was a short class.
        I'm sure there were lots of vital things Grilley left out not only by
        time constraints but by the fact that the class was aimed at yoga
        people and not ABTs who make their by interpreting energy flows in the
        twelve meridians.

        In my own shiatsu practice if I suggest a physical homework to a
        client (with its real purpose of addressing a meridian issue) its
        usually more on the lines of something like makoho stretches ala
        Masanaga in sort of a Gary Kraftsow like viniyoga slow vinyasa.
        Most of my clients are middle age and sedentary.

        Penel

        <snip>