Is my acupuncturist cheating me?

  • amkopo
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hi,

      Greetings everyone!
      I am new to the group so please read my post with that in mind.

      Here's my story:
      I recently sent my dad to an acupuncturist near Seattle (at the
      Edmonds Wellness Clinic) to help relieve his lower back pain.
      The acupuncturist insisted that he needed a minimum of 10 sessions
      in order to help my dad feel better. Based on references from a
      friend, we decided to stick with him.
      After the 3rd session, my dad started to feel numbness and extreme
      sensitivity to cold in his lower left leg. He stated this to his
      acupuncturist but he couldn't seem to eliminate this problem. On the
      plus side, though, his lower back pain had diminished.
      After the 7th session, the numbness persisted. We were very upset
      about this by this point. So, we decided not to continue any further.
      We are now trying to decide whether to continue treatments with a
      different acupuncturist or to seek an alternative treatment.
      Can anyone offer any advice?

      Thank you,
      Yong
    • acumedico
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hello Yong,
        He is probably not cheating you, this is a far extreme assumption.
        He is probably not a very experienced practitioner, that's all.
        Problems as you describe here are usually an extension of the lower
        back pain that your father suffers from. These line of problems
        usually develop after a long period of lower back pain, even without
        the patieng having acupuncture treatment. In many cases, the lower
        back pain diminishes and the leg problem starts. Sometimes as
        numbness and cold, and sometimes as severe pain along the sciatic
        nerve route. It only shows that the practitioner did not succeed in
        this treatment. I strongly recommend that you find another
        practitioner, this time one that has enough clinical experience, who
        is NOT an M.D. as well, and that you can hear recommendations of his
        skill.
        Shmuel Halevi Ph.D
        http://www.acumedico.com
      • Hoang Ho
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2003
          Back treatment is a pain that doesn't usually go away for good. The best thing is to monitor yourself and limit activity that would aggreavate the problem. I sometimes place stones under my back as I lay down to help massage my back. There are specific areas that are treated in accupuncture and they can be learned for at home treatment. The line on the middleof the back of the lower leg and in the crease of the back of the knee are goodmassage points.The urinary bladder channel has clues to the treatment of back ache.

          amkopo <amkopo@...> wrote:Hi,

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • amkopo
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2003
            Thank you for the advice, Shmuel.
            I agree it was an extreme assumption I made.
            I will search for a different acupuncturist. This time I will not
            choose one based solely on the reference of a colleague.

            Yong

            --- In acupuncture@yahoogroups.com, "acumedico" <halevis@a...> wrote:
            > Hello Yong,
            > He is probably not cheating you, this is a far extreme assumption.
            > He is probably not a very experienced practitioner, that's all.
            > Problems as you describe here are usually an extension of the
            lower
            > back pain that your father suffers from. These line of problems
            > usually develop after a long period of lower back pain, even
            without
            > the patieng having acupuncture treatment. In many cases, the lower
            > back pain diminishes and the leg problem starts. Sometimes as
            > numbness and cold, and sometimes as severe pain along the sciatic
            > nerve route. It only shows that the practitioner did not succeed
            in
            > this treatment. I strongly recommend that you find another
            > practitioner, this time one that has enough clinical experience,
            who
            > is NOT an M.D. as well, and that you can hear recommendations of
            his
            > skill.
            > Shmuel Halevi Ph.D
            > http://www.acumedico.com
          • acumedico
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2003
              --- In acupuncture@yahoogroups.com, "amkopo" <amkopo@y...> wrote:
              > Thank you for the advice, Shmuel.
              > I agree it was an extreme assumption I made.
              > I will search for a different acupuncturist. This time I will not
              > choose one based solely on the reference of a colleague.
              >
              > Yong
              >
              > --- In acupuncture@yahoogroups.com, "acumedico" <halevis@a...>
              wrote:
              > > Hello Yong,
              > > He is probably not cheating you, this is a far extreme
              assumption.
              > > He is probably not a very experienced practitioner, that's all.
              > > Problems as you describe here are usually an extension of the
              > lower
              > > back pain that your father suffers from. These line of problems
              > > usually develop after a long period of lower back pain, even
              > without
              > > the patieng having acupuncture treatment. In many cases, the
              lower
              > > back pain diminishes and the leg problem starts. Sometimes as
              > > numbness and cold, and sometimes as severe pain along the
              sciatic
              > > nerve route. It only shows that the practitioner did not succeed
              > in
              > > this treatment. I strongly recommend that you find another
              > > practitioner, this time one that has enough clinical experience,
              > who
              > > is NOT an M.D. as well, and that you can hear recommendations of
              > his
              > > skill.
              > > Shmuel Halevi Ph.D
              > > http://www.acumedico.com

              By the way, there are many good advice (I think so, at least) for
              treating low back pain and sciatica under my web page. Try this link:

              http://www.acumedico.com/advice