Eastern Shore Sanctuary relocation

  • pattrice le-muire jones
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2009
      On 28 May 2001, 24 multicolored roosters flew into the year-old Eastern Shore Sanctuary, setting off a chain of events that would lead Sanctuary cofounder pattrice jones to devise a method of rehabilitating roosters used in cockfighting and to begin thinking about the role of gender in animal abuse.

      On 28 May 2009, the Eastern Shore Sanctuary announces a major move with its roots in that colorful day so many years ago. In mid-June, the main site of the sanctuary will relocate from our small plot in poultry country to a larger site in dairy country. This move will allow us sustainably expand our operations while still staying true to our original purpose. More to the point of this story, this move will allow us to expand our rooster rehabilitation project, continue to work on the gendered exploitation of hens for eggs, and extend our work on gendered exploitation of animals to include dairy.

      Full announcement, with links, here:
      http://blog.bravebirds.org/archives/32

      Although we are relocating the main sanctuary site, we will not have "flown the coop" on the Eastern Shore. In addition to continuing to work for agriculture reform on the Delmarva and other regions despoiled by factory farming, we will maintain a presence on the Eastern Shore in order to ensure that any "broiler" chicken who escapes the clutches of the local poultry industry will be taken to sanctuary.

      We know that our allies and supporters will have a lot of questions about this move. Hop over to our main website for the FAQs about the move. Stick around to explore our renovated website, which is jam-packed with new essays and fresh links.

      FAQs about the move here:
      http://sanctuary.bravebirds.org/faqs-about-our-move/

      Moves cost money. While we won't be building the birds a deluxe apartment in the sky, we will be fencing off fresh foraging yards and constructing "green" coops. If you value the work we've done over the past nine years and join us in looking forward to the work we will do from our new location, please chip in to help us pay for the passive solar heating system in those new coops and other costs of expansion and relocation.

      Donate here:
      http://sanctuary.bravebirds.org/feed-the-birds