A remarkable story of endurance - Sid's Story

  • Paul N Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2008
      NO IMAGES ? Visit Here:
      http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/sidsstory.html

      Sid's Story - Animal SOS Sri Lanka
      <http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/sidsstory250.jpg>

      A story of an ex-street dog

      Kim Cooling tells the remarkable story of endurance that inspired her to
      found her charitable organisation

      Animal SOS Sri Lanka

      Registered charity : 1119902

      <http://www.animalsos-sl.com> www.animalsos-sl.com

      _____

      _____

      Sid in Sri Lanka <http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/sid1250.jpg>

      Sid as a street dog in Sri Lanka

      Sid with Kim Cooling in Sri Lanka
      <http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/sid2250.jpg>

      Sid and Kim in Sri Lanka

      Sid's Story

      It was the last day of a self funded trip to Sri Lanka in 2005, and my
      friend Morag and I were feeding the strays near our hotel before flying back
      to the UK. Suddenly a gangly flea ridden dog staggered towards us collapsing
      at our feet. We had never seen him before, but knew we had to get him to the
      vets quickly. The dog had been badly beaten by locals and his front legs
      appeared broken. Part of his paw was also severed. The dog sensed we were
      his last hope and as we rushed him to the vets we decided to call him Sid.

      As well as his injuries, Sid was infected with Dirofilaria Repens, a serious
      disease in dogs which is transmitted by mosquitoes. He was emaciated,
      dehydrated and covered in ticks and mange mites. In view of his neglected
      state, the vets were cynical about Sid's chances of survival. But we decided
      to give him a chance of life and paid to keep him there for as long as it
      would take to make him well again.

      We had little time before our flight home, but before leaving managed to
      give Sid his first ever bath, gently removed the ticks from his ears and fed
      him a hearty meal and some fresh water.

      We gave him a final hug as we left and Sid howled pitifully. He broke our
      hearts and we never thought we would see him again.

      But this courageous dog pulled through and we decided to bring him back to
      the UK. It was an emotional journey, but Sid's battle for life was not yet
      over. During the first month of his quarantine he started passing blood from
      his genitals. He had a large Transmissible Venereal Tumour (TVT) missed by
      the Sri Lankan vets. The quarantine vet refused to administer the
      chemotherapy (Vincristine) to cure him and tried to persuade me to have Sid
      put to sleep. But I refused because I knew about this disease from my work
      in Sri Lanka, and the treatment is highly effective. After some harrowing
      weeks, my own vet agreed to help Sid and fortunately his premises met with
      DEFRA's approval. Animals in quarantine are strictly regulated and any
      movement outside the quarantine premises has to be authorised by DEFRA. The
      veterinary costs for the chemotherapy and transport to the vets were huge
      and this was in addition to the hefty quarantine costs, all funded from our
      wages. Sid was also found to have a tick borne disease -Ehrlichiosis, which
      had also been missed by vets in Sri Lanka. But, despite everything life had
      thrown at him, this brave boy sailed through all his treatments and is now
      healthy, although he remains disabled due to leg injuries.

      Kim and Sid <http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/kimandsid2.jpg>
      Sid and Kim are devoted to one other

      Sid is devoted to his rescuer Kim Cooling
      and lives with her in London.

      For Sid, the misery and torment he suffered as a stray in Sri Lanka is now a
      distant memory.

      Sid in London <http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/DARLINGSID250.jpg>
      From death's door to safety
      now living with Kim Cooling

      _____

      Sid in London <http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/sidney7.jpg>
      Every stray dog just wants to be loved.
      For Sid this dream came true .......

      _____

      Animal SOS Sri Lanka <http://www.linnics.com/asossl/hesid/asossllogo.jpg>

      Registered Charity: 1119902

      www.animalsos-sl.com

      DONATE <http://www.animalsos-sl.com/DonateMoney.html>

      For other destitute animals in Sri Lanka their misery and suffering goes on.

      Kim has now founded a UK Registered Charity

      Animal SOS Sri Lanka

      to give hope to the abused and suffering
      stray animals in Sri Lanka.

      With your help our charity will provide the suffering animals with refuge,
      veterinary care, sterilisation and vaccination programs in Sri Lanka.

      We will also raise awareness through our
      local animal welfare education in Sri Lanka.

      HELP US TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE

      _____

      _____

      Contact: paul@...