why specify species?

  • Bill Schramm
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2008
      Just wondering if I am the only one that feels this way.

      First they ban sow crates in Florida, then sow and veal crates in Arizona, then sow and veal crates and cages for laying hens in California (pending). Eventually we will need to pick up the slack and ban confinement for the species that weren't included in a specific state.

      Why not simply a law that says "NO ANIMAL raised to produce food or fabric may be confined in such a fashion that it cannot turn around, lie down, or fully extend its limbs."

      The same thing goes for fighting. Why not ban organized fighting involving any species of animal? Then we won't have the problem that maybe dogfighting is a felony, cockfighting is a maybe felony depending on what you are doing, and fighting between dogs and pigs is perfectly legal. How about horse fighting? It's a big gambling sport in the Philippines.

      I believe that the same principle that makes intensive confinement of animals wrong and spectator sports of animal fights wrong doesn't depend on what type of animal is involved. Why waste time, effort, and money fighting separate fights for each individual species?