Re: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Cage-Free Eggs !

  • Virgil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      This was a major priority for HSUS's factory farming
      campaign, and it's crucial that such an historic move be rewarded with
      overwhelming praise for the company. If you could please just take a
      minute to thank Wild Oats, it would really mean a lot.

      All you need to do is go to:
      https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2005_wildoats_cageless

      --- In activistsagainstfactoryfarming@yahoogroups.com, "Billye
      Thompson" <billyethompson@c...> wrote:

      > Wild Oats Gives Chickens Something To Crow About: No More Cages
      >
      > Natural Foods Retailer Is First National Chain to Commit
      Exclusively
> [...]
      will
      > encourage the egg industry to move in the direction of phasing out
      > its use of battery cages, and shifting toward cage-free methods
      that
      > take the animals' welfare into account."
      >
      > Approximately 98 percent of eggs sold in the United States come
      from
      > birds confined in barren "battery cages" so small they
      > can't even
      > spread their wings, let alone engage in other natural behaviors
      such
      > as nesting, foraging, perching, and dust bathing—a practice that
      > 86
      > percent of Americans surveyed by Zogby International find
      > unacceptable. Despite this, battery cage egg production has
      > increased over the last 50 years and bears no resemblance to the
      > idyllic barnyard setting of children's storybooks.
      >
      > According to HSUS Factory Farming Campaign manager Paul
      > Shapiro, "Birds in battery cages suffer immensely. Wild Oats has
      > taken a bold step by avoiding the sale of eggs from caged birds,
      and
      > we enthusiastically applaud their efforts to help reduce animal
      > suffering."
      >
      > This historic announcement also supports The HSUS's No Battery
      > Eggs
      > campaign, which is designed to encourage the egg industry to move
      > away from caged egg production. To date, The HSUS has already
      > enjoyed substantial success through its efforts to encourage
      > university food service providers to switch to an exclusively cage-
      > free egg supply. George Washington University has stopped selling
      > battery cage eggs in its school store, and food service providers
      > AVI and Bon Appetit are testing cage-free egg sales on campuses
      they
      > serve.
      >
      > Despite increasing regulation on the treatment of laying hens in
      the
      > European Union, virtually no laws exist in the United States to
      > protect these birds. Egg-laying hens are exempted from the federal
      > Animal Welfare Act and the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act, and
      most
      > states' anti-cruelty statutes either explicitly exempt common
      > farming practices, no matter how abusive, or aren't ever applied
      > farm animals.
      >
      > The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest
      > animal protection organization with more than nine million members
      > and constituents. The HSUS is a mainstream voice for animals, with
      > active programs in companion animals and equine protection,
      wildlife
      > and habitat protection, animals in research and farm animal
      welfare.
      > The HSUS protects all animals through education, investigation,
      > litigation, legislation, advocacy, and field work. The non-profit
      > organization is based in Washington and has field representatives

    • Virgil
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        For some reason the link given below isn't working now, and neither
        is the whole HSUS site. So, I went straight to the Wild Oats site to
        contact them. http://www.wildoats.com/u/contact/

        They have a webform there where you show where your local store is
        and all. But, there is more. After you submit your comments, it
        takes you to the next page where you can indicate the types of
        products you are interested in and more! Then after that to another
        page where you can download coupons!

        Here are the survey questions:

        How old are you? 18-25 26-35 36-45 46-55 56-65 66+
        Are you male or female? Male Female
        How many times have you visited a Wild Oats store in the past month?
        0-1 2-4 5-10 11+
        Why do you shop at Wild Oats? Check all that apply. Convenience
        Atmosphere and shopping experience
        Customer Service
        Products
        Prices

        Do you receive our monthly sales flyer in the mail or with your
        newspaper? Yes No
        Do you access our sales flyer on the Web? Yes No
        If so, do you use it to make purchase decisions? Yes No
        What are your health/food preferences? Check all that apply.
        Vegetarian
        Vegan
        Organic
        Gluten/wheat-free
        Dairy-free
        Low carbohydrate
        Low calorie
        Low sugar
        Low fat

        What issues/subjects are you most interested in? Check all that
        apply. Environmental preservation
        Food safety
        Food additives
        Organic issues
        Fair Trade
        Special diets
        Holistic Health (natural remedies, yoga, mediation, pilates)
        Kids' Health
        Adult Health
        Natural beauty products and body care

        What level of cook do you consider yourself to be? Beginner Medium
        Which recipes do you prefer? Check all that apply. Easy-to-make
        American favorites
        Ethnic varieties
        Seafood
        Meat/Poultry
        Vegetarian/Vegan
        Holiday fare
        Special diets
        Gourmet
        Desserts

        Then, this link allows you to download coupons:
        http://www.wildoats.com/u/department75/

        So, some of you may wish to submit your letter of thanks this way.
        I'm glad that I did.

        --- In activistsagainstfactoryfarming@yahoogroups.com, "Virgil"