Dairy farmers urged to take flame to udders

  • Billye Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2005
      Dairy farmers urged to take flame to udders

      Australian dairy farmers are being encouraged to take a lead from
      the United States and use a propane flame to remove the hair from a
      cow's udder.

      Vet, Dr David Reid, has outlined the process to a dairy conference
      in Melbourne, as a way of preventing infections on teats.

      He says it is easier than clipping the hair and does not bother the
      animals.

      "We have an orange flame, a relatively cool flame and we instruct
      producers to take this flame underneath the cow on a day when it's
      been dry so that the humidity is relatively low and the hair is dry,
      and we just essentially just flame the hair right off the udder," he
      said.

      "It doesn't hurt the cow, it's like if you're a little kid you and
      you've ever sat at the Christmas table and moved your finger above
      the flame of an orange candle, it's the same deal, it doesn't burn
      your finger if you keep it moving."

      This is a transcript from the ABC National Rural News that is
      broadcast daily to all states on ABC Regional Radio's Country Hour
      and in the city on ABC News Radio.