Suggestions on activist scholars

  • Andrew Burridge
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hi all,

      I hope you are all well and getting somewhat of a break from the world of academia

      Lisa Sedano and myself are in the process of putting together a proposal to USC to run a series of 'activist workshops',
      that will comprise approx. 6 speakers visiting the campus over the next year to take part in workshops/talks on integrating
      activism and academia (however that may be defined)

      Our goal is to provide an interdisciplinary series of speakers/workshops, that will involve geographers and non-
      geographers alike. We also hope that the speakers will come with diverse and unique skills in which to discuss, so that
      the series provides as much information as possible to students attending. The idea is for workshops rather than talks so
      that there can be a stronger level of discourse from both sides and more skill sharing, giving students an idea of how they
      can practice their activism within academia, or become involved in activism etc etc

      We have a limited budget and therefore will be trying to have speakers from relatively close by (in California/SoCal) but
      are also looking wider abroad for other speakers.

      SO!

      If anyone has suggestions for speakers what would fit this series please forward them on! We know there are many and
      have a fairly substantial list ourselves, but we are only two people and are looking to keep this as open and informed as
      possible! You can also recommend yourselves! (Some speakers we have in mind are Jeffrey Juris, Ruthie Gilmore, Emily
      Hicks, and so forth)

      AND OF COURSE! you are all welcome to attend these workshops if/and when they happen (fingers crossed starting in
      September) at USC

      Apologies for the length of this email, but we look forward to your comments on possible speakers, and on the workshop
      proposal in itself - any suggestions or past horror stories on doing this are greatly welcomed

      Yours in heat exhaustion
      Andrew Burridge