AGG planning meeting minutes

  • Jenna M. Loyd
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006

      Hi, all,

      I trust this email finds you well!  Here’s a short outline on the meeting that we held in Chicago.  Best, -jenna

      AGG 2006 Chicago MEETING NOTES:

      13 people in attendance for planning meeting for AGG

      1. Personal introductions: phase 3 community-in-formation

      2. Proposals for mini conference AAG 2007:

      a. 'Contradictions of Capitalism past present and future'

      (comments made on how we don't even call it capitalism anymore, we call it neoliberalism)

      b. 'Contradictions of capitalism and critical responses'

      c. DECISION:  Coordinating committee (see below) will in 2 weeks (April 18) decide on 5 conference themes; in 1 month (by May 2), the conference themes will be posted for a vote on the listserv

      3. In addition to a mini-conference, an event or walking tour or service learning event might be organized by the AGG

      4. Working papers venue---responsive to peers, open up accountability ---web page? branch out the listserv?

      5. Newsletter--online forum for news (500 word short submissions)

      a. reviews of each other’s performances/papers

      b. issued 2 or 3 times a year

      c. online journal in the future?

      6. Activism/practice----discussion of the space in which we work; putting into practice what matters; creating relationships (such as devotion); community of support

      Other comments:

      issue of intergenerational continuity

      structural issues involved in our own community in formation

      not just critique of capitalism but direct action

      mobilizing for access to quality higher education

      danger in fetishizing activism

      7. Coordinating committee nominees: Alyssa, Marion, Trevor, Jenna, Shiloh, Jennifer (interested but in field), Jason (interested but will decline if there are already too many)

      Concern: The Berkeley core group will remain involved—need Berkeley critical mass from past 2 years.

      8. NEXT STEPS:

      a.      Who else is interested in beginning the work of creating a website/newsletter?  Please do email Shiloh.

      b.      What ideas do folks have for a walking tour or service learning event, etc. in SF?

      c.       Updates on the Taking Back Education strategy session will soon be posted (Jenna promises), including plans for a public meeting with community and activists groups working on justice in education issues.

      ~~~~~~~~~

      Jenna M. Loyd

      Ph.D.

      UC Berkeley, Geography

      Ph. 310-490-9166

      jennam@...

      ~~~~~~

      The international People's Health Movement: www.phmovement.org

      Health NOW! campaign: www.health-now.org

    • Jenna M. Loyd
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006

        Forgot to thank Shiloh for writing up the minutes – thank you! -jenna

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
          thansk jenna---the write-up looks great :)
          yay! sunshine today at last--i'm heading outside!
          l,
          srk

          http://mail.yahoo.com