FW: MA in Activism and Social Change (Leeds University): Now recruiting for Sept 2010
Sorry for cross posting and sending out en masse. Some exciting updates this year! Please forward to those interested.
MA in Activism and Social Change - Leeds, UK
**Now recruiting for Sept 2010**
This multi-disciplinary course brings together the worlds of academia and social struggle. It is run by academics working and researching with a variety of campaigns, social movement organisations and communities struggling against social and ecological injustice, and for a more equal, just society.
Our approach in this course is to engage students in a questioning of the fairness and sustainability of the current capitalist world order and explore empowering ideas and examples of how to challenge the status quo. The course is aimed at exploring possible alternatives based on autonomy and common(s).
**** This year Prof John Holloway, internationally renowned author on autonomist Marxist theory and social movements will be a visiting professor in the course from March 2011. His latest book ‘Crack Capitalism’ is out now and will be taught on the MA. ****
The course offers:
• An introduction to core ideas in radical and transformatory social theories and strategies.
• An overview of global social movement struggles with particular reference to anti-capitalism and anti-imperialism
• Grounding in participatory action research methods relevant to campaigning and social change.
• Contemporary political debates about the critical challenges we face and how to respond.
• Guest lectures and workshops by journalists, campaigners, researchers and activists.
• Opportunities to engage in action research projects with a variety of social struggles
For more information, see: www.activismsocialchange.org.uk;
Contact geo-tpg-enq@... or ring 0113 343 6639