Activist Geographers' events at AAG

  • nightcereus
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2006
      Activist Geographers Grouping, Season Two:
      Community in Formation� Chicago
      Sessions, Events, Parties, and Meetings
      (all events are located at the Palmer Hotel unless otherwise noted)

      Wednesday March 8
      The Art of Doing Geography: Reflections on a Community Mural Project
      as Participatory Geographic Learning 2pm, Clark 1

      Thursday March 9
      Racial Discourse, Spatial Practices, and the Materiality of Race
      10am, Monroe Ballroom

      AGG planning meeting, 6:30-7:30pm, Exchequer, 226 S. Wabash Ave.
      (Meeting convening promptly so folks can go to the GPOW reception)
      The agenda is to meet each other, talk about our ideas for the group,
      and begin planning for the San Francisco AAG and other AAG projects.

      Friday March 10
      Activism and Gentrification Research: A Roundtable Discussion
      Private Dining Room 9
      Roundtable discussion 1, 8am
      Roundtable discussion 2, 10am

      The Performative and the Political, Salon 10
      Session 1: noon
      Session 2: 2pm

      Inaugural James Blaut Award & Memorial Lecture, presented to Ruthie
      Gilmore
      7:45pm-9pm, Salon 10
      ***AGG/SCGSG Party*** 9pm-??, Billy Goat Tavern, 430 N. Lower Michigan
      Ave. Less than one mile north of the conference site. Cash only, but
      cheap.

      Saturday March 11
      Critical Explorations of Militarism, Salon 1
      I: Militarism and the Construction of Natures, 8am
      II: Militarized Environments, 10am
      III: Feminist Geopolitics & Everyday Life 1, 2pm
      IV: Feminist Geopolitics & Everyday Life 2, 4pm

      Critical Geographies of Education: Taking Back (Higher) Education:
      A Roundtable Discussion & Strategy Session, 10am, Salon 11

      3 Ds: Drinks/Dinner/Dancing
      following the Critical Explorations of Militarism series, meet at
      Salon 1 at 5:45
      for all or part of evening�s plans, or phone Jenna @ 310-490-9166

      Join the AGG listserv at:
    • kanarinka
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2006
        Hello --

        Looking forward to these sessions. Those on this list might be
        interested in the following sessions on Wednesday:

        Experiments with Territories:
        Post Cartographic Map Design

        Sessions organized for the
        Association of American Geographers (AAG) Annual Meeting,
        March 7-11 2006, Chicago Illinois

        contact: john krygier

        These sessions include researchers and practitioners creating maps
        and working with models of map design outside of the traditional
        empirical model that dominated cartographic design research in the
        latter half of the 20th century: people who think critically about
        maps and map design and engage in actual map design and construction
        based on their ideas. Many artists have embraced the map in such a
        manner. "Map artists ... claim the power of the map to achieve ends
        other than the social reproduction of the status quo. Map artists do
        not reject maps. They reject the authority claimed by normative maps
        uniquely to portray reality as it is, that is, with dispassion and
        objectivity..." (Wood & Krygier, 2006). Map artist kanarinka claims
        artists working with maps have an "ethics of experimentation" that is
        "anything but arbitrary." "...artists experiment with a particular
        territory in specific ways to reach unforseen
        destinations." (kanarinka, 2006). Other models of map design include
        narrative and ambiguity, suggested by literary and film theory,
        multiple mappings (or counter-mappings) suggested by humanistic and
        critical theory, indigenous mapping methods, and political mapping
        informed by post-structuralist theory focused on the complexities of
        power. Post-cartographic map design research and mapping seeks to
        expand the way we think about, design, and create maps in our map
        immersed society.

        details: http://makingmaps.owu.edu/postcarto-aag06.html

        best,
        kanarinka