BREAKING NEWS: Elsevier to quit hosting arms fairs

  • Jenna Loyd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      a win! -jenna

      ________________________________

      From: tom stafford [mailto:t.stafford@...]
      Sent: Fri 6/1/2007 6:20 AM
      To: tom stafford
      Subject: BREAKING NEWS: Elsevier to quit hosting arms fairs

      "Reed Elsevier announced today that it is to exit the defence
      exhibitions sector. This portfolio of five shows is part of Reed
      Elsevier's global Business division and represents around 0.5% of group
      annual turnover. "

      http://www.reed-elsevier.com/

      An email from the CEO of RE, Crispin Davis says

      "Over the last year or so it has become increasingly clear that growing
      numbers of important customers and authors, particularly in the science
      and medical markets, have very real concerns with our involvement in
      this sector. They believe strongly that our presence here is
      incompatible with the aims of the science and medical communities. I am
      also very aware this is a view shared by a number of our employees. We
      have listened closely to these concerns and we have concluded that the
      long term interests of Reed Elsevier as a leading publisher of science,
      medical, legal and business content would be best served by withdrawing
      from defence exhibitions. We intend to complete the withdrawal during
      the second half of 2007."

      Thanks to everyone who has worked towards this, who signed the petition
      or the open letter or wrote directly to RE.

      More news when this is confirmed, and I get more details

      Yours
      tom

      --

      Tom Stafford
      Department of Psychology

      What's the link between academic publishing and the arms trade?
      http://www.idiolect.org.uk/elsevier/