joe's pub upcoming events...

    Message 1 of 68 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi All,

      For those who just want to know about Joe's Pub, please keep scrolling,
      but for those of you who know me well, and know my incredible partner of
      8 1/2 years Lisa Philp, I have some exciting news. (No, not that....no,
      not that either...)

      Lisa is a grantmaker, heading up the Global Foundations Group at JP
      Morgan Private Bank, and for years she has been responsible for
      directing much-needed funds to not-for-profit groups, especially those
      dealing with youth development. One of her favorite groups, the
      Brooklyn-based organziation Ifetayo, has with decided to honor her this
      year with their Global Vision award, to be presented at their annual
      gala on Thursday, May 20th, at the Brooklyn Museum of Art.

      Here's some more info from Lisa:

      "I really love this organization. JPMorgan has been able to fund
      Ifetayo out of the Valentine Perry Snyder Fund and the Theodore Luce
      Charitable Trust, and the group is supported by the NYWF for its
      wonderful rites of passage programming for girls in Flatbush, Brooklyn.
      When I first did a site visit to Ifetayo in early 2001, I was blown
      away. I have seen a lot of youth programs but this one is very special.
      Ifetayo focuses on long-term involvement with children and their
      families by creating an extended family of adults and mentors dedicated
      to teaching them and helping them overcome their challenges. At Ifetayo,
      high-quality arts instruction across disciplines is available from
      beginning to pre-professional levels, and well-known choreographers
      return each year to teach and give back. But the arts are also used as
      an entrée point and a vehicle to support young people and their
      families. Ifetayo's holistic approach to youth development and its
      creative efforts at parent involvement help make it a vital resource for
      the Flatbush community. "

      Like arts presenters, grantmakers' work is usually behind the scenes,
      and it's an incredible honor for her to be publically acknowledged by
      one of her grantees. I'm really proud of her, and I am hoping that some
      of you will be able to join us in celebrating this occassion and
      supporting this very worthy organization in the process. Many of you
      have already be generous in supporting my work at Joe's Pub and The
      Public Theater. Now, can I ask you to support Ifetayo and honor Lisa's
      work as well by either buying tickets for this gala event, or if you
      can't attend, by purchasing a journal ad? Here are the details:

      Ifetayo Cultural Arts Facility's 15th anniversary gala
      Thursday, May 20th
      Brooklyn Museum of Art

      Reception: 6 pm
      Awards ceremony: 7:15 pm
      Dinner: 8:15 pm

      Rev. Dr. Gary Simpson, Concord Baptist Church (and the husband of Rev.
      Emma Jordan-Simpson, former executive director of Girls Inc. of New York
      City) will receive the Spiritual Leadership Award. Several other leaders
      and performing artists will also be honored.

      Tickets are $200 per person (with tables available at the $2,000, $5,000
      and $10,000 level).

      Journal ads range from $100 to $1,000.
      The link to more information including a way to contribute by credit
      card or check is below:
      <BLOCKED::http://www.ifetayoculturalarts.org/events/gala/gala.asp>
      http://www.ifetayoculturalarts.org/events/gala/gala.asp
      Thank you for your support!

      Now, in Joe's Pub news, just want to advise you to continue to scroll to
      newly added shows so you can take advantage of yor early warning. Edie
      Brickell and Suzanne Vega are sold out from email notices alone, so
      don't sleep on the early notice about new additions like Joe Henry,
      Jolie Holland, Melissa Ferrick, Sam Phillips and the electric friggin'
      Strawbs.

      And though our Todd Rundgren benefit is sold out, you can still support
      Joe's Pub, too, by donating online at
      https://secure.patrontechnology.com/joespub/info_joespub.cfm
      <https://secure.patrontechnology.com/joespub/info_joespub.cfm>

      This Saturday night, Stew, who I waxed on about last week, returns for a
      show he is calling "New Buds from a Joint in Progress." It's close to
      selling out, but if you get your tix tomorrow, you should be ok.
      Suffice it to say, if you've never seen Stew, this is an essential
      night. AHe's one of my favorites, and I'm bringing my entire family out
      to see the show. And stick around for master drumemr Andrew Cyrille's
      Haitian Fascination, which marries his adventourous percussion with
      traditional Haitian musicians. And coming up this next few weeks, we
      have some more incredible world music and jazz shows: Bonga, the
      acclaimed voice of Angola who has been earning tremendous accolades for
      his latest album; the French Caribbean singer-songwriter Chris Combette,
      who was wonderful when I booked him for the Lincoln Center Festival a
      few years back, with sexy hints of folk, bossa and French chanson as
      well as zouk and buigine all in the mix.

      One of my favorite artists to work with, two-time Grammy nominee Luciana
      Souza, has been playing here regularly with her Brazilian Duos and North
      & South quartets, but during those cooncerts she has been throwing in
      single songs from a longstanding Neruda project that have always knocked
      me out. I made her promise that when she finally released the record,
      she would premiere it at Joe's Pub, and true to her word, she begins an
      April 4-Friday night series one week from tomorrow, which should not be
      missed. There are few jazz singers who have Luciana's sensitivity with
      a lyric, especially poetry, and she is utterly charming onstage. And
      Omar Sosa, the brilliant Cuban pianist who was one of the opening
      festival performers at Carnegie's Zankel hall a few months back, returns
      to Joe's Pub to demonstrate why he is one of the most exciting, and
      uncategorizable, instrumentalists on the scene.

      And next weekend, April 10-11, is the world premiere of a collaboration
      planned especially for Joe's Pub with Shuujat Khan, one of the greatest
      sitarists of his generation, and Karsh Kale, the equally talented
      drummer, tabla-player and composer/producer. These shows promise to
      re-define contemporary Indian music, and are a must-see for nay fans of
      Asian classical, folk or electronic music.

      For those of you who plan ahead, remember that the next GlobeSonic party
      at nublu is Saturday, April 17.

      thanks for reading this far, and hope to see you soon.

      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailemailimages/153/10372/header_1.jpg>
      Complementing all the great international artists performing at Joe's
      Pub this month, we'd like to invite our list members to attend The
      Public Theater's upcoming production of BIRO with a special $35 discount
      ticket offer.

      BIRO
      Uganda Cuba America: One Man's Epic Journey
      Written and performed by Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine, Directed by Peter
      Dubois, begins April 6

      BIRO is one man's story of survival across Uganda, Cuba and America.
      From the Ugandan insurgency of 1979 to a Texas jail cell in 2004, Ntare
      Guma Mbaho Mwine tells the story of Biro, a boy from war-torn Uganda who
      helps liberate his country and finds himself on the front lines of a
      global war with AIDS. BIRO is a global odyssey, which provides an
      interrogation of the American dream and a contemporary context for the
      AIDS crisis.

      Call Telecharge (212) 947-8844 and mention the code BRGEN35 visit
      www.broadwayoffers.com to order online. You may also bring this flyer to
      the Public Theater box office at 425 Lafayette St.

      *********************Joe's Pub Schedule of Events*********************
      Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
      Location: 425 Lafayette Street between East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
      For information & reservations please call 212.539.8778
      or, for Telecharge listed events call 212.239.6200.
      *******

      .

      Joe's Pub Schedule of Events

      Thurs, April 1
      RICHARD SHINDELL
      An expatriate New Yorker now living in Argentina, Richard Shindell is a
      meticulous craftsman of song whose four studio albums and recent live
      recording have been revered by critics and fans alike. Innovative,
      original and occasionally spiritual, from his first record, Sparrow's
      Point (1992) to the live album Courier (2002), Shindell has demonstrated
      a penchant for songwriting at once passionate and profound. His songs
      are often slowly and painstakingly crafted until honed to perfection,
      while he is also capable of writing tunes that are simply clever and
      amusing. Shindell's songwriting is truly eclectic, ranging from
      lighthearted ballads and adulterous love songs, to dirges and diatribes
      that skillfully skewer politics, prejudice, war and religion. He has a
      unique ability to morph into the soul of the many and varied
      personalities he casts as narrators in certain songs -- songs that are
      veritable novellas framed in haunting acoustic melodies. Richard
      Shindell is "America's best singer/songwriter" according to The Los
      Angeles Daily News. "Let his extraordinary songs do the talking," they
      urge; "this is the voice of a master." www.richardshindell.com 7 &
      9:30pm, $20

      Fri, April 2
      STARS
      Stars are soft-spoken revolutionaries and music is their rallying cry.
      Their music has been described as "breathtakingly effervescent" and they
      have been called the kind of band that "blue lights and fog machines are
      made for". They make music that musicians love with a fan list that
      includes Momus, The Divine Comedy, Sainte Etienne, K-OS and Alan
      Moulder. Stars debut LP Nightsongs became an instant pop classic and was
      called "one of the most thoroughly listenable albums in pop music
      history." Their second release, The Comeback, was the beginning of the
      band's departure from pastiche and movement towards a unique musical
      vision. With their newest release, Heart, Stars have taken us from a
      lonely roof-top to the steamy bedrooms of the world's sexiest cities and
      the result is an unmistakable work of art. 7:30 & 9:30pm, $15

      Sat, April 3
      STEW
      With a gift for hook-filled melodies, taut poetic narratives, incisive
      song portraits and sardonic sense of humor, the brilliant Stew and his
      Afro Baroque Cabaret stylings returns to Joe's with a peronally-themed
      selection of material spanning his 3 solo records, some brand new songs
      as well as a few hits from his now side project, The Negro Problem. On
      Stew's latest solo record, the uncharacteristically personal, Something
      Deeper Than These Changes, he "reaches beneath the surface of the songs
      to pull out and expose the emotions behind the ideas." Following his
      Joe's Pub debut, the Village Voice raved: "Dude's a better singer than
      Richard Pryor and a better stand-up comic than Jimmy Webb, and I'm
      tempted to call him America's best songwriter" . The LA Times has
      exclaimed that Stew's songs, combining elements of cabaret, soul and
      subversive pop are "gorgeous..deeply felt, wildly sophisticated and at
      times, hilarious." All Music Guide called Stew's The Naked Dutch
      Painter... "One of the first singer/songwriter masterpieces of the 21st
      century," while Entertainment Weekly selected that collection as its
      Best Album of 2002, gushing: "Stew's lush sense of melody and witty,
      journalistically detailed lyrics..make his second solo album, with its
      reminiscences of psychotropic drug dalliances and portraits of well-read
      women who carry switchblades, a true treat for those who care about
      innovative, thought-provoking pop...wonderful!" www.stewsongs.com
      7:30pm, $15

      Sat, April 3
      ANDREW CYRILLE'S HAITIAN FASCINATION feat. Alix "Tite" Pascal, Frisner
      Augustin & Lisle Atkinson
      Andrew Cyrille's Haitian Fascination plays compositions savoring some
      Haitian derived melodic and rhythmical themes filtered through the lens
      of contemporary Jazz conveying rhythmic mysteries and transcendent
      percussion. Master drummer Andrew Cyrille is a Guggenheim Fellow, New
      School University Jazz faculty member and performing and recording
      artist who has led his own Jazz groups here and abroad. Cyrille has
      played with many Jazz greats, from Coleman Hawkins and Mary Lou Williams
      to Cecil Taylor and Oliver Lake, as well as many others too numerous to
      mention here. Haitian Facination also features the well known Haitian
      guitarist Alix "Tite" Pascal, who has also led a Haitian group of
      folkloric music called "Ayizan"; Frisner Augustin - the leader of the
      Haitian folklore, music and dance group called "La Troupe Makandal" on
      Haitian drums; and bassist extraodinaire Lisle Atkinson, leader of the
      acclaimed "Neo Bass Ensemble". www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/9273
      9:30pm, $15

      Sun, April 4
      POLYGRAPH LOUNGE
      Back from assignment as embedded musicians on the Simon & Garfunkel
      reunion tour, Polygraph Lounge members Mark Stewart and Rob Schwimmer
      reunite with Polygraph ingenue, Melissa Fathman as Joe's Pub proudly
      presents the culmination of two years of sold out 'PhLounge' shows which
      included special guest performances from the likes of Paul Simon, Edie
      Brickell and Geoffrey Holder. Described by NY Magazine as "zany,
      musically tight, and lyrically brilliant," don't miss Polygraph Lounge's
      show before they team up with Academy Award winning writer/director,
      Marshall Brickman and the NY Theatre Workshop to take their
      musical/comedy wares to off-Broadway this fall. www.polygraphlounge.com
      7 & 9:30pm, $15

      Mon, April 5
      THE PETERSONS
      After their moderately successful winter tour of the Tri-City area
      (Troy-Schenectady-Albany), The Petersons, upstate New York's favorite
      rock and roll family, are back to blow the roof off Joe's Pub. The
      metaphorical roof, that is...the actual roof's far too valuable. The
      Petersons are Adam Stein, Keira Naughton, Matt Saldivar, Evan Robertson
      and Pete Simpson, and they always come prepared with a completely new
      show and surprise special guests. Previous drop-ins include Academy
      Award winner Paul Newman, Tony Award winners James Naughton and Robert
      Sean Leonard, Emmy Award nominee Michael C. Hall, superstar John Cameron
      Mitchell, and many many more. Described by The New York Times as "a
      hipster theater mock-rock group with a devoted following," The Petersons
      will bring you the gift of laughter, the gift of musical bliss, and most
      important of all...the gift of eternal salvation. If you don't believe
      it, come on down and see for yourself. "One of the funniest, most
      original shows in town" -Time Out New York 7:30pm, $15

      Mon, April 5
      BONGA
      With his "inimitable voice --raspy, scratchy, sandpaper smooth-- and
      accomplished songwriting couched in arrangements that are tasteful,
      understated and lovingly rendered" (Songlines), Bonga modernized the
      traditional style of music known as semba (closely related to Brazilian
      samba), and his new release, Kaxexe (Times Square) returns him to the
      forefront of contemporary African music. In the years since Angola 72,
      his revolutionary soundtrack to Angola's struggle for independence from
      Portugal, Bonga has remained active in politics. The post-colonial era
      in Angola brought about constant power struggles, resulting in a brutal
      civil war that has lasted for three decades. Bonga --whose name means
      "he who searches" or "he who goes ahead"-- remains critical of both
      sides of the political equation and continues to use his music to
      inspire peace and prosperity. As Songlines' five-star review continues,
      "We have known suffering, the songs and melodies seem to say, but we
      prevail. ...Bonga is not only a standard-bearer but a standard-setter,
      and Kaxexe is a gem from start to finish." Presented with support from
      the French Music Export Office and l'AFAA.
      www.rockpaperscissors.biz/go/bonga 9:30pm, $20

      Tues & Wed, April 6 & 7
      AKIKO YANO with Anthony Jackson & Kahlil Kwame Bell
      Akiko Yano, one of Japan's most enduring, beloved, and famous musical
      artists, returns to New York's Joe's Pub for a series of rare live
      appearances, following her sold out shows at Joe's in 2002 and 2003.
      Akiko first achieved international attention on tour with Yellow Magic
      Orchestra (YMO), and with Ryuichi Sakamoto, whom she married in 1982.
      She has collaborated, recorded and appeared in concert with
      international artists as far ranging as Thomas Dolby, Pat Methany and
      The Chieftains, the latter two having included her compositions and
      performances on their recent CDs and in concert. Both performances
      feature Anthony Jackson on contrabass guitar and Kahlil Kwame Bell.
      7:30pm, $27

      Wed, April 7
      CHRIS COMBETTE
      A native of French Guyana, raised on the French West Indian island of
      Martinique, Chris Combette has successfully introduced the musical
      traditions of the Caribbean to listeners in France, where he has resided
      since the mid-1980s. A self-taught bass and guitar player, Combette has
      played with such Martinique-based musicians as zouk crooner Tony
      Chasseur and the Rastafarian banjo player, Kali. His debut album, Plein
      Sud, released in 1995, was nominated for five SACEM (French ASCAP)
      awards and resulted in him being named songwriter of the year. La Danse
      de Flore, his latest recording, continues to explore the many facets and
      intricacies of Caribbean music. "His voice captivates the imagination,
      his music lulls the spirit; and you will be entranced if you can stand
      the heat" -Caribbean Life 9:30pm, $15

      Thurs, April 8
      VAN HUNT
      7:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Thurs, April 8
      N'DEA DAVENPORT
      Former lead singer of the acclaimed Brand New Heavies, the last few
      years have seen N'Dea Davenport stepping out on her own as singer,
      songwriter and producer with amazing results. Her debut solo CD is fluid
      funky and definitely female. Her voice remains one of the strongest and
      beautiful in R&B and she still sings from the heart, soul and the hips.
      Passionate, thoughtful, playful and willing, N'Dea Davenport spreads
      soul blessings with music that makes you feel good and shows why she and
      her original Brand New Heavies band is loved by so many. 9:30pm, $20

      Fri, April 9
      MIKE ERRICO
      A native New Yorker, Errico grew up listening to R&B and soul music. "As
      a reward for going to the dentist, my parents would buy me records. I
      got to the point where I was loosening my own molars for Songs in the
      Key of Life - it's a double album, you know." It's not surprising, then,
      that Errico's vocals are inherently soulful, with a smooth and easy
      cadence. Often infused with clever humor and an underlying sense of
      hope, Errico's snapshots in the guise of pop songs are as undeniably
      insightful as they are instantly memorable. "[Mike] belongs to the
      younger generation, shredding folk styles with punk attitude" -New York
      Times. Mike's 4th record, Skimming, was released in late September on
      the Velour label. "If life had a soundtrack, Errico's Skimming would be
      one of those rare albums that would always have a place in the play
      list. He has created, truly, an album for almost any moment or mood."
      -Melisa Hickman www.errico.com | www.velourmusic.com 7:30pm, $12

      Fridays, April 9, 16, 23 & 30
      LUCIANA SOUZA: Celebrating Neruda
      In celebration of Pablo Neruda's 100th Birthday, the exceptional
      vocalist and composer Luciana Souza returns to Joe's Pub for the release
      of Neruda, her latest recording on Sunnyside. Neruda is Luciana's
      setting of 10 poems, translated into English, orchestrated for piano,
      voice, and percussion. Her two recent recordings, Brazilian Duos, and
      North & South, have brought her Grammy nominations in the Best Vocal
      Jazz Album category. For this project Luciana was inspired by the music
      of Catalan composer Federico Mompou and the poems of the Nobel Prize
      winner. In this setting, Luciana plays percussion and sings with her
      incomparable sound and emotional range, accompanied by Edward Simon on
      piano. The New York Times raves, "[Souza] makes good singing seem
      incredibly easy...she applies a touch of jazz technique... with bounding
      improvisations." www.lucianasouza.com 9:30pm, $20

      Sat & Sun, April 10 & 11
      SHUJAAT KHAN and KARSH KALE
      feat. Jonathan Maron (Groove Collective) & Takuya Nakamura (Jo Jo
      Mayer's Nerve, Echo)
      A world premiere of contemporary sounds in Indian music from Shujaat
      Khan, probably the greatest sitarist from his generation, in a new
      collaboration with New York's Karsh Kale, percussionist, DJ, producer
      and composer. Shujaat, 2004 Grammy nominee (as a member of the ensemble
      Ghazal), represents the seventh generation in an unbroken family line of
      North Indian master musicians and is the son and disciple of the late,
      illustrious Ustad Vilayat Khan. Kale is one of the leaders of the Asian
      Massive movement in the US. Shujaat and Karsh will play original
      compositions, based on Khan's vast repertoire of folk, light classical
      and classical traditions, with an ensemble including bass and keyboards.
      www.karshkale.com 7 & 9:30pm, $25

      Mon, April 12
      THE NEW YORKER Presents: Humor Live
      7:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Tues, April 13
      TOM RUSSELL
      Tom Russell is a singer songwriter whose music is a powerful voice in
      the contemporary folk movement. His songs have been recorded by Johnny
      Cash, Joe Ely, Nancy Griffith, Dave Alvin and Doug Sahm. His career has
      spanned over 19 albums, including his new release, a collection of
      cowboy songs titled "Indians, Cowboys". 7pm, $15

      Tues, April 13
      RUTHIE FOSTER / GUY DAVIS: Sista Factory Fifth Year Anniversary
      Blending elements of blues, country, folk and gospel, Ruthie Foster is a
      charismatic and powerful performer from rural Texas not to be missed.
      Her voice bears the rousing energy and inflections of her
      African-American Baptist church upbringing. She has steadily built a
      recording career with three releases to her credit, most recently the
      critically acclaimed Lloyd Maines-produced Runaway Soul. Her career
      highlights include a striking performance on PBS's Austin City Limits.
      Percussionist/vocalist Cyd Cassone deftly accompanies Ruthie. "The
      hottest new voice in folk music...a rare vocalist able to sound intimate
      even when belting out soaring sustains and stage-strutting blues
      thumpers." -Boston Globe. www.ruthiefoster.com
      Whether Guy Davis is appearing on Late Night With Conan O'Brien, in
      front of 15,000 people on the main stage at the Winnipeg Folk Festival,
      or an intimate gathering of students at a music camp, he gives each
      listener his all. His all is the Blues. Davis' influences are as varied
      as the days are long, having enjoyed great blues musicians from Blind
      Willie McTell (and his way of storytelling) to Buddy Guy, and everything
      in between. "A singer and guitarist in the rural mold of Robert Johnson
      and Mississippi John Hurt, he has got a voice like Howlin' Wolf dipped
      in honey. He is also an enchanting storyteller...He is fabulous." -The
      Scotsman. www.guydavis.com www.sistafactory.com 9pm, $15

      Wed, April 14
      CHARLOTTE MARTIN
      Charlotte Martin's piano-driven songs can be likened to the recent work
      of Coldplay, Ryan Adams and PJ Harvey. Her passionate, emotionally open
      songs don't skimp on the hooks and comfortably balance both artistic
      credibility and commercial appeal. Her approach encompasses the
      orchestrated ruminations of Kate Bush, the poetic storytelling of Joni
      Mitchell and Billy Joel, plus the fiery piano playing and alternately
      dark and humorous lyrical take of Ben Folds. Charlotte Martin is an
      extraordinary kind of songwriter that builds close ties with anyone who
      hears her music. While her beautiful voice and piano-playing prowess
      offer an entrée into her music, it's Martin's uncompromising lyrics that
      keep you coming back. During her live shows, Martin also gives all. She
      attacks the keyboard, allowing her charismatic personality to take over
      the room. Martin uses her shows to further connect with her fans,
      keeping the evening conversational and often baring gifts for the
      audience. It's no wonder her shows have grown to become constant
      sellouts. 7:30pm, $20

      Wed, April 14
      SLAID CLEAVES
      The New York Times called him "one of the finest singer-songwriters in
      Texas" and the rest of the country seemed to find that limiting, as
      Slaid Cleaves proves time and time again to be one of the finest in
      every state he plays. His newest release, Wishbones is produced by Gurf
      Morlix (Lucinda Williams, Mary Gauthier) and is a spectacular follow-up
      to his critically acclaimed album Broke Down. From depression era
      jockeys to company-flooded towns to alcoholic prizefighters to illegal
      immigrants forced into making life-and-death decisions, Slaid
      specializes in telling the tales of the hardscrabble character looking
      for a chance in this unfair world. "The beguiling Cleaves has fashioned
      a timeless yet fresh sound rooted in the best storytelling tradition of
      the great singer-songwriter." -Chicago Sun-Times www.slaidcleaves.com
      9:30pm, $15

      Thurs, April 15
      OMAR SOSA QUARTET
      Jazz meets world music. The music of Omar Sosa is a unique mix of
      Afro-Cuban jazz, and world music. While Sosa's music is rooted in the
      folkloric traditions of the African Diaspora, he always takes an
      exploratory approach - never one to let orthodoxy stand in the way of
      his pursuit of freedom. Sosa offers a joyful blend of jazz and
      Afro-Caribbean rhythms, combining percussive forays inside the piano and
      a series of electronic effects with his passionate playing at the
      keyboard. His tempos are fluid and his moods change freely. Sosa revels
      in the irresistible clave grooves of Latin jazz, while adding
      experimental touches to keep his listeners on their toes. Ben Ratliff,
      jazz critic for the New York Times, states: "World Music has been around
      for a long time now, but nobody embodies it better than Omar Sosa." 7:30
      & 9:30pm, $20

      Fri, April 16
      AMY RIGBY / LORI McKENNA
      Amy Rigby has been compared to everyone from Elvis Costello to Carole
      King, but she "has no peer on the current pop scene," according to the
      Chicago Reader. Her fourth solo album TIL THE WHEELS FALL OFF may be her
      clearest missive yet as Rigby continues to write and sing from the
      trenches of rock, romance and reality. Praised for her dazzling song
      craft and brilliant humor and bite, Amy Rigby "gives you everything you
      could want from rock music: anger, humor, lust and wistfulness."
      www.amyrigby.com
      Touted by critics as "The Boss of housewives" and "Emo for the all grown
      up generation X", singer/songwriter Lori McKenna plays an exclusive
      preview performance with her band in support of the much anticipated new
      studio album "Bittertown" due out nationally May 11 on Signature Sounds.
      McKenna's songs have garnered comparisons to Lucinda Williams, Bruce
      Springsteen, Nanci Griffith and Rosanne Cash. A Boston Music Award
      Winner, a veteran of Lilith Fair and The Newport Folk Festival, and an
      NPR fave, Lori also made her debut last year in the New York Times
      Crossword Puzzle! Catch this rising star in the intimate and cozy
      confines of Joe's Pub. www.lorimckenna.com 7pm, $15

      Sat, April 17
      IAN SHAW
      Britain's premier male jazz vocalist, Ian Shaw returns to New York for
      one very special show at Joe's Pub following his triumphant sold-out run
      at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Shaw brings an edgy, lived-in feeling to his
      music, whether singing chestnuts from the classic American songbook or
      reinventing more contemporary standards from such writers Bob Dylan,
      Randy Newman, Radiohead and Gilbert O' Sullivan. Ian's latest American
      release A World Still Turning (441 Records) showcases his astounding
      musicality, soaring scats, inventive harmonic sophistication and supple
      sense of rhythm, with soul-tinged interpretations that reach right to
      the emotional core of a lyric, earning him comparisons to everyone from
      Van Morrison, Frank Sinatra and Donny Hathaway. Nominated two years
      running for Best Jazz Vocalist at the BBC Jazz Awards, Ian Shaw launched
      his live performance career at London's legendary Ronnie Scott's in the
      early 90's, where his he recorded his first solo album Ghostsongs,
      described by "The Wire" magazine as "quite simply the year's finest
      release". "[Shaw] has a complete unslick emotional control of the
      classic jazz-idiom standards. An inspired blues singer, too". -New York
      Times www.ianshaw.biz 7:30pm, $25

      Sat, April 17
      SOMI
      Rising East African singer/songwriter Somi has swept through the New
      York City soul and jazz circuits. Since the debut of her independent
      solo album, Eternal Motive, her music and message has captivated the
      hearts of wide audiences while performing in various jazz festivals and
      venues throughout the U.S. and Europe. Somi represents the contemporary
      African experience, creating a fusion of urban jazz, downtempo soul, and
      African folk. "...one of the most distinctive voices of New York's
      progressive Soul Movement." -Village Voice www.somisunshine.com 9:30pm,
      $15
      **Purchase tickets for Somi (April 17), Samite of Uganda (April 19) and
      any performance of Biro (subject to availability) for only $60! Offer
      available at Public Theater Box Office only. Codeword: Uganda.

      Sun, April 18
      CURTIS SALGADO
      As always, Curtis Salgado's take on soul music is wide-ranging. His
      heartfelt approach to the music has won him starring roles as lead
      singer in bands led by such starts as Robert Cray and Santana. The late
      John Belushi was so inspired by Curtis that he developed his Blues
      Brother character after him. Curtis' take on soul is simple. "If a song
      is sincere and you believe it, that's soul," he says. "To me Pavarotti
      is as much a soul singer as Otis Redding; Merle Haggard and Hank
      Williams are soul singers as much as Sam Cooke. Soul is about heart and
      about belief." While Curtis has been a Northwest-music legend from his
      Portland base ever since his six year stint in Robert Cray's band , it's
      only been in the past few years that national audiences have been seeing
      what all the fuss is about as Curtis and his band deliver one of the
      most powerful live shows you'll see anywhere -- a rare commodity these
      days. "Keeping the classic flame of soul music alive." -Los Angeles
      Times. 7:30pm, $15

      Sun, April 18
      ITAAL SHUR
      Itaal Shur is probably best known for writing "Smooth" for Carlos
      Santana. He recieved the Grammy for Songwriter of the Year in 2000. He
      has also written songs for Maxwell, Jewel, Robi Rosa and more. To
      celebrate the release of his new solo CD he will bring his blend of
      soulful pop with its rich harmarnies and melodies to the stage. 9:30pm,
      $10 cash at door

      JACKIE HOFFMAN Live at The Public Theater: The Kvetching Continues...Now
      extended through JUNE!
      Sold out: Monday, April 19 & Sunday, April 25
      Newly added dates: Sunday, May 16 & Mondays, May 3 & 24, June 7, 21 & 28
      Hairspray's cockeyed pessimist Jackie Hoffman brings the art of
      complaining from Broadway to Broadway/Lafayette in this ALL NEW SHOW.
      Now extended for six additional dates in May and June due to
      overwhelming demand and critical acclaim! "The tribulations of Broadway
      stardom -- well, near-stardom, anyway -- are the subject of Jackie
      Hoffman's endearingly bitter, explosively funny new solo show at Joe's
      Pub. ...Clearly, this is a world-class kvetch. Attention must be paid!"
      - Variety "With equal parts bad taste and uncanny precision, Hoffman
      skewers gay dads, matinee audiences, and breast-feeding moms. Not since
      W.C. Fields has anyone been so deliciously mean about children."
      -Village Voice "Often hysterical, sometimes shocking" -Playbill.com
      "Bitterness is oh so sweet at Joe's Pub, where the mordant pleasure that
      is Jackie Hoffman is spreading joy through anger in her one-woman
      show...she is one refreshingly talented and funny woman." -The New York
      Times
      $20, Apr 19 & 25, May 3 & 16, June 7, 21 & 28 7:30pm / May 24 9:30pm
      **APRIL DATES SOLD OUT; tickets now available for May and June dates.

      Mon, April 19
      SAMITE OF UGANDA
      Activist and native Ugandan Samite's deeply personal albums and
      matchless flute playing ability have placed him at the forefront of the
      African music scene for over 20 years and have made him Uganda's
      unofficial music ambassador to the United States. One of his goals is to
      open peoples' minds and hearts to the common threads of human concerns,
      conveying optimism through stories and song. Delivering his mellifluous
      vocals in his mother tongue, Luganda, he mesmerizes audiences with
      original compositions played on kalimba (finger-piano), marimba (wooden
      xylophone), litungu (seven-stringed Kenyan instrument) and various
      flutes - traditional and western. His latest CD "Tunula Eno", a musical
      memoir about the last year of the Ugandan singer/songwriter's wife's
      life featuring Tony Cedras, David Cullen, Jeff Haynes, Dominique Kanza,
      and Bakithi Kumualo among others, soared up the charts, garnering mass
      critical-aclaim along the way. "The multiple rhythms are forceful but
      not domineering, and Samite's melodies ride over and through them to
      create a soothing, almost lullaby-like effect. It's modern African folk
      music..." -Los Angeles Times. www.samite.com 9:30pm, $15
      **Purchase tickets for Somi (April 17), Samite of Uganda (April 19) and
      any performance of Biro (subject to availability) for only $60! Offer
      available at Public Theater Box Office only. Codeword: Uganda.

      Tues, April 20
      AGATSUMA
      The venerable shamisen is now a hot rock instrument for young audiences
      in Japan thanks to a whole new generation of players, especially
      Hiromitsu Agatsuma. Fusing the soul and softly plaintive twang of
      traditional Tsugaru-shamisen (a three-stringed Japanese traditional
      lute-like instrument) with an informed mastery of contemporary Western
      musical idioms, Agatsuma's US debut release in 2003, Beams, was a
      landmark in the East-meets-West appeal of the art form that the New York
      Post called "unusually exotic, yet familiar at the same time."
      Agatsuma's latest work, Beyond, is comprised of wholly original
      material, and injects shamisen with elements of rock, funk, jazz,
      techno, urban and Latin grooves. That commitment is immediately apparent
      with Beyond, which both honors tradition and pushes the artistic
      envelope of shamisen. In 2001, his critically acclaimed self-titled
      debut received the award for 'Album of the Year' at the Japan Gold Disc
      Awards, and he returns to NY for the second time, following a successful
      debut tour in 2003. "Agatsuma's playing is superb, never failing to give
      the shamisen's twangy buzz tones an expertly emotional or festive edge"
      -rootsworld.com www.agatsuma.tv | www.domo.com 7:30pm, $20

      Tues, April 20
      KELLI SAE with special guest DJ The Legendary Chris Washington:
      Sista Factory Fifth Anniversary
      "Sae it's so!" The powerfully soulful Kelli Sae returns to joe's pub.
      Wonderfully sultry and startlingly gritty vocals lace Sae's R&B dance
      grooves, pulsating beats and heart wrenching ballads into an experience
      that demands your attention. As lead singer for the internationally
      successful bands Incognito, Count Basic and Philippe Saisse Acoustic
      trio, singer/songwriter/producer Kelli Sae has created a signature sound
      that has reached millions around the world. "The depth and realness of
      her performance and songwriting is undeniable and downright
      intoxicating. You're pulled into Sae's world within seconds..."
      -Billboard Magazine www.kelliesae.com | www.sistafactory.com 9:30pm, $12

      Wed - Friday, April 21- 23
      LUCY KAPLANSKY
      Fusing folk-pop, rock and alt country into her own perfect blend,
      singer-songwriter Lucy Kaplansky gets to the heart of a song, drawing on
      her background as a clinical psychologist to turn a reflective eye on
      the many facets of being: love and longing, guilt and sorrow, promises
      and lies, hope and redemption. As a result of her steady touring - solo,
      with a band, and with folk supergroup "Cry, Cry. Cry" (with Dar Williams
      & Richard Shindell) - Lucy's distinctive blend of warmth, power and
      vulnerability and riveting performances have won her a devoted
      following. With a beautiful flair for harmony, Kaplansky originally came
      to prominence as "everyone's favorite singing partner", joining NY's
      fertile coffeehouse community of songwriters and performers and adding
      her voice to recordings by Suzanne Vega, John Gorka, Nancy Griffith and
      Shawn Colvin. In 1994, she began to release a series of acclaimed albums
      on Red House, winning the Association For Independent Music award for
      best pop album of 1999, and steadily toping the Americana and Triple A
      radio charts, with her latest scheduled for February 2004. Featuring
      Duke Levine on guitar. "Bold, vibrant...vocals seem to glide to the
      heavens." -Boston Globe www.lucykaplansky.com 7:30pm, $25

      Wed, April 21
      GINA LEISHMAN and FRIENDS: Songs for Shakespeare's Birthday feat. Greg
      Cohen, Kenny Wollesen and Doug Wieselman with special guests Marc Ribot,
      Steven Bernstein, Jenny Scheinman and more
      An (almost) birthday tribute to one of the great lyricists, William
      Shakespeare, as you may never have heard him. Elegant and beautifully
      strange, this is a collection of recently recorded songs that composer
      Leishman (Kamikaze Ground Crew, Mr. Wau Wa) has written using the words
      of the immortal Bard, featuring Gina Leishman, (vocals, pno, uke) and an
      all-star line-up of friends: Greg Cohen (bass), Kenny Wollesen (drums),
      and Doug Wieselman (gtr & clarinets), plus special guest appearances by
      Marc Ribot (gtr), Steven Bernstein (tpt), Jenny Scheinman (vln) and
      others. Greg Sandow of the Wall St. Journal wrote of Leishman's
      contribution to the Berlioz Birthday Bash at Joe's Pub: "wild but
      grounded, taking us further into Berlioz's manic heart than most
      orchestras ever could." Jon Pareles of the New York Times has praised
      her songs as having "wry lyrics, piquant dissonances and shifty meters
      recalling Stravinsky and Kurt Weill." And of her last recording, Derk
      Richardson wrote that the music "yields pleasure on its own terms,...its
      bent but beautiful structures providing cover from the mainstream's hail
      of mediocrity". 9:30pm, $15

      Thurs, April 22
      ROBBY ROMERO and RED THUNDER, hosted by Chief Oren Lyons: A Celebration
      of Earth Day 2004
      Red Thunder is powerful contemporary Native American Rock which is
      paired with mysterious and spiritual traditions unchanged for a thousand
      years. Red Thunder's singer, Robby Romero, is one of Native America's
      best known and respected voices. Robby and his band Red Thunder are
      already superstars on America's Native American reservations, or Indian
      Country as it is known and now his music is erupting in mainstream
      America. www.robbyromero.com 9:30pm, $15

      Sat, April 24
      TODD RUNDGREN & Friends:
      3rd Annual Benefit for Joe's Pub at The Public Theater
      7:30pm, SOLD OUT
      *If you can't come to the benefit and wish to support our efforts, you
      can always make a secure online contribution by going here:
      https://secure.patrontechnology.com/joespub/info_joespub.cfm

      Sun, April 25
      LINA KOUTRAKOS
      Singer/songwriter and definite Diva Lina Koutrakos is the real thing.
      Lina's infectious spirit, incredible songwriting ability,
      one-in-a-million voice and hard rockin' band will stand you up and knock
      you down all at the same time, as Lina matches her power to the band
      with her Harley Davidson voice and then effortlessly shifts into the
      raspy, soft vocals of an experienced woman. With her music rooted in her
      nomadic upbringing as a Navy brat and her Greek heritage, Lina is an
      adult artist who has a little bit of all people in her eyes as well as
      in her voice. Koutrakos sings with amazing spirit, incredible energy,
      and heart, earning her a MAC Award, The Village Voice's Award for Best
      Rock Newcomer and France's Petite Piaf Award - all for Best Female
      Vocalist. "Koutrakos burns a song into your consciousness like a vocal
      laser beam. Her big, sexy smoky voice carries emotional impact and
      explodes with wild energy." -BackStage www.koutrakos.com 9:30pm, $20

      Mon, April 26
      EDIE BRICKELL
      7 & 9:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Tues, April 27
      ACO presents Improvise!: FLUX QUARTET with special guest Oliver Lake
      Improvisation meets the orchestra. From jazz to real-time electronic
      experimentation, improvisation is a uniquely American means of
      expression that has altered the musical landscape. Join American
      Composers Orchestra in a festival exploring the dynamics of new music
      that crosses boundaries and opens new worlds of musical expression.
      The fearless string foursome Flux Quartet are joined by saxophonist
      Oliver Lake in music by Lake, John Zorn, and Leroy Jenkins (world
      premiere), and Elliott Sharp. "A quintessentially American and
      aggressively 21st century ensemble that is both refreshingly and
      annoyingly ignorant of boundaries..." -LA Times
      www.americancomposers.org/improvise 7pm, $20

      Wed, April 28
      DA LATA
      Rhythm pioneers Da Lata are a respected and creative force in dance
      music whose sound has been championed by leading players from Francois K
      to Gilles Peterson. Their debut LP, 2000's stunning Songs From The Tin
      was a wholehearted tribute to the Brazilian influences that had first
      bonded Patrick Forge and Christian Franck on their musical journey. Da
      Lata's surprise-filled follow-up, Serious, achieves an incredible
      integrity of soul and purpose with a diversity of sounds and styles.
      Chris and Patrick feel that despite the wide range of influences, it's
      London's unique musical culture that defines them as much as anything,
      and that means broken beats and Brazilian music, R'n'B and Afrobeat.
      It's all in there. "Nothing can exemplify the fruits of
      Brazilian-British cross pollination better...From West-London to Bahia
      via Lagos, then into the Amazon and through the streets of Knotting
      Hill, this album satisfies an ear thirsty for tropical soul, sunshine
      beats, and the off-centre dance music of London's Nu-Jazz literati."
      -ethnotechno.com www.palmpictures.com/albums/serious.html 7:30pm, $20

      Wed, April 28
      MATT HAIMOVITZ and THE MIRO QUARTET
      The Miró Quartet and cellist Matt Haimovitz bring to life Franz
      Schubert's final and arguably greatest work, his String Quintet in C
      Major, D 956. Although Schubert tragically passed away before hearing
      his masterpiece performed, we are more fortunate. Bringing this glorious
      music back to the salon, this is a rare chance to hear the renowned Miró
      Quartet, newly appointed residence artists at the University of Texas,
      and trail-blazing cellist Matt Haimovitz, in the midst of his 50-state
      Anthem tour. "It isn't every day you hear Cello Suites performed in a
      venue with a liquor license. Give credit to cellist Matt Haimovitz, who
      has been busily reinventing the classical recital for the new
      millennium"-San Francisco Chronicle. Join Matt and The Miró Quartet in
      celebrating the release of their new album featuring the final works of
      Schubert and Mendelssohn on Oxingale Records / Artemis Classics.
      www.oxingale.com 9:30pm, $20

      Thurs, April 29
      ACO presents Improvise!: ANNE LeBARON, Harp
      Improvisation meets the orchestra. From jazz to real-time electronic
      experimentation, improvisation is a uniquely American means of
      expression that has altered the musical landscape. Join American
      Composers Orchestra in a festival exploring the dynamics of new music
      that crosses boundaries and opens new worlds of musical expression.
      Anne LeBaron is joined by legendary violinist Leroy Jenkins and
      multi-instrumentalist Earl Howard for an evening of high-octane
      performance. www.americancomposers.org/improvise 7pm, $20

      Thurs & Fri, April 29 & 30
      ALEXI MURDOCH
      With no hype and no record label, Alexi Murdoch has resonated across the
      country, one listener at a time. Listen to Alexi Murdoch and you'll be
      struck as much by what you don't hear, as what you do. Peace, quiet,
      space. The London-born Scottish-bred singer-songwriter manages to hush
      the noisiest of clubs and to calm the most restless listener with his
      music. Critics have been hearing the mystic folk of Nick Drake in his
      voice, and the earnest storytelling of Harry Chapin in his lyrics. But
      his growing fan base knows the strongest of elements of his music have
      also been Alexi's own heart and soul. In the short time since he
      recorded his self-released EP, "Four Songs", Murdoch has been moving
      listeners one by one. It has added up to nearly 10,000 copies sold,
      thanks to compelling live performances, astonishing support for an
      unsigned artist from 50 of the most influential radio stations across
      the country, and good old fashioned word of mouth. Murdoch showcases a
      songwriting style in which he impossibly manages to build the grandeur
      of arena-rock anthems into quiet folk songs. With "Only Fear" and
      "Orange Sky" especially, he writes and sings with an urgency that
      implores you to take notice. His music assaults the listener from all
      angles--with a lyrical style that is both earnest and thought-provoking
      (while avoiding the pervasive cliche and banality of today's music), and
      with the melding of his subtle guitar and his calm, soothing voice,
      creating an atmospheric quality that ensnares the senses. 4/29 at
      9:30pm, 4/30 at 7:30pm; $20

      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/ct?id=25+0+24+1+10372> Click here to
      purchase tickets now!
      Coming up:
      ACO presents Composers-Improvisers Out Front! Marathon feat. Uri Caine
      and more - 5/1
      Sussan Deyhim: Vocodeliks - 5/2
      Joy Denalane - 5/2
      Teitur - 5/3
      Juana Molina - 5/4
      Joe Henry - 5/5
      Chris Smither - 5/6
      Katie Melua - 5/6
      the subdudes - 5/7-9
      Dancenow/NYC: Dance-mOpolitan - 5/7-8 & 6/4-5
      Billy Porter: At the Corner of Broadway and Soul - 5/9, 10 & 17
      Lloyd Cole - 5/10-11
      Jamie Cullum - 5/12
      Dirty Dozen Brass Band: CD Release - 5/13
      Keziah Jones - 5/14
      Garland Jeffreys and Friends: A Benefit for the McBurney Y - 5/15
      Garland Jeffreys: 2 Guitars, Bass & Drums - 5/15
      Todd Almond: Deep North Woods CD Release - 5/16
      Isabel Rose: The Single Life - 5/19
      Vinicius Cantuaria - 5/19
      Janis Ian - 5/20
      John Wesley Harding - 5/21
      Phil Roy - 5/22
      Richard Barone - 5/22
      Broadwayworld.com presents: Standing Ovations Spring 2004 - A Benefit
      Concert for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS - 5/23
      Steve Forbert and Stacey Earle - 5/24-25
      Pharaoh's Daughter - 5/25
      Lisala - 5/27
      Julian Fleisher - 5/27
      Roxane Butterfly with Graham Haynes - 5/28
      Suzanne Vega - 6/1
      Jeffrey Gaines - 6/2
      Jolie Holland - 6/3
      Schiavo - 6/4
      Melissa Ferrick: The Other Side - 6/8-9
      Jody Williams - 6/10
      Joan Wasser: Joan As Police Woman EP Release - 6/11
      Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker
      Starring Julie Wilson, Mark Murphy, Spider Saloff, Spencer Day, James
      Gavin and more - 6/13
      Ethel and So Percussion: Double CD Release Party - 6/15
      Valencia - 6/15
      Morley - 6/16
      Harmonia - 6/17
      Sam Phillips - 6/17-18
      Paulette McWilliams & Vincent Herring - 6/18
      Chester Gregory - 6/21
      Kathleen Supové: CD Release - 6/22
      Pink Stëël: Open Wide For Pride - 6/23
      Tammy Faye Starlite: La Passion du Christ: Menage A Trois - 6/24
      Pinetop Perkins feat. Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin - 6/25
      East Village Opera Company - 6/30
      Rene Risque & The Art Lovers - 6/30
      The Strawbs - Electric - 7/9
      The Oz Noy Trio / Manhattan Vibes - 7/13
      Perla Batalla - 7/16
      Nick Rolfe - 7/23
      Jenny Scheinman / Myra Melford: A Double CD Release Party In Celebration
      of Women Jazz Composers - 7/24
      Les Yeux Noirs - 7/25
      Waiter, Waiter - 8/14-16
      Rebecca Martin: CD Release - 8/31
      Rachelle Garniez & the Fortunate Few - 9/9
      Rafael de Utrera - 9/14-15
      Suede - 9/17
      Quetzal - 10/3
      Fairport Convention - 10/8
      Holly Cole - 10/21

      late night @ joe's pub...
      Doors at 11pm

      Thursdays...THE G SPOT
      KD Wilson and Derrick Correly present a retreat from the ordinary club
      scene, a place where the sexy, successful and mature come to meet and
      mingle. The best mix of music by DJ's Playtime and June.

      Fridays...GUMBO
      This weekly Friday night is dedicated to the mix of the greatest in
      hip-hop, rock, and 80's being provided by DJ REACH from The Carson Daily
      Show combined with a very chic, downtown trendy crowd. The Gumbo party
      is known for its beautiful array of women and eclectic mix of New York's
      young celebrities. Six months after it's inception this Friday has
      become a staple in New York City nightlife and has found a new home at
      Joe's Pub . Door Done Well by Sam Sneed.

      Saturdays...Decadence
      Brian Gefter and Michael Romer of Gaslight Entertainment host Decadence
      with a DJ Kasper spinning to a packed house. To book your party at
      Decadence call 212-539-8778.

      Sundays...Sunday Night Classics
      Evil Dee Presents...The Demolition Team
      A whole host of phenomenal DJ's are part of this team of the best in hip
      hop. DJ's Butta L, Lord Sear, Mr. Walt and the man himself hit the decks
      spinning everything enjoyable. Come early don't miss the fried chicken.

      Special Event Mondays...4/5
      Ny-Lon feat. Paul Cote and Dawn Landes
      Ny-Lon is a new showcase featuring emerging talents from New York to
      London. Created by Michael "Zev" Gollender and co-produced by Frank
      Raharinosy, Ny-Lon presents Paul Cote and Dawn Landes. Paul Cote was
      named "Best Unsigned Act" by Billboard magazine with his eight-piece
      band including a full horn section he brings a truly sexy and funky set.
      Dawn Landes brings alt-country to a playful and energetic place
      complimeted by her velvety vocals. www.paulcote.com | www.dawnlandes.com
      11pm

      Tuesday...ER (Eclectic Ride)
      KYA Entertainment presents The Eclectic Ride- hosted by BELINDA BECKER
      and FORREST. A night of great music from NYC's best DJs (ie DJ Cosi,
      Belinda, DJ Herbert, and DJ Reborn) and soul samples from the world's
      most eclectic mix of artists (ie Bilal, Meshell N'Degeocello, Alia
      Marie, Dead Prez, Lady Alma, Goapele, Martin Luther, Wunmi, Anthony
      Hamilton, and more). Come experience another level of partying. For more
      information or reduced list email kya@.... $10 at door.

      Wednesday...4/7
      Lipp It! A Lip Sync Smackdown
      In the tradition of American Idol (the ultimate Karaoke Contest) Adam
      Dugas, creator of Chaos & Candy, and Josie Dickson come together for the
      Lipp It - the ultimate lip sync contest. In the tradition of the
      televised competition, Puttin' on the Hits, contestants will present
      their acts and be scored by a panel of celebrity judges. Liberated from
      the constraints of having to choose a song that somehow resembles their
      vocal range, contestants are able to devote all their energy and focus
      to using their body and personality to embody the song. The results are
      a combination of American Bandstand, American Idol, MTV, The Gong Show,
      and a teenage basement birthday party. A panel of celebrity judges will
      rate all contestants in the following categories: ACCURACY, ORIGINALITY
      and SHOWMANSHIP. Email lippit@... for entry details. 11pm,
      $5

      <http://www.patrontechnology.com/contact.cfm?org=joes> This e-mail has
      been created using PatronMail...the innovative e-marketing tool for the
      arts.

      To forward this e-mail to a friend or colleague, use
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/raf?ide=AR0Zeuu9yPymNAN-cg> this
      link.
      If you would like to be removed, use
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/uss?ide=AR0Zeuu9yPymNAN-cg> this
      link.
      To change your e-mail address or update preferences, use
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/setup?oid=153&xyz=AcyhS3kH46ZQATHvnQ>
      this link.
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/Impression?eide=AR0Zeuu9yPymNAN-cg>
      Message 68 of 68 , Nov 4, 2004
            "I will sing to those who will listen.  It is important to talk to the convinced.  I am often asked if when Sweet Honey sings, "Aren't you singing to yourself?"  The progressive community of this country is one of the most fragile in the world.  We suffer from illusions of being in greater shape than we are because we think it follows that if we are Americans, we must be great!  We are in great need of understanding our vulnerability, our need for validation, maintenance, nurturing and celebration.  We need to learn how to be longtimers and not forever be limited by operating ahistorically and responding to crisis after crisis..."
            "...It is important to gather together to nurture and feed as a community committed to being a presence in a society beyond our own meager lives.  When moving in new territories as an organizer I use the model I learned in the Black church and as a field secretary for SNCC.  First, there is a home base; there is a place that you can go back to for shelter, rest, and re-orientation.  It is from there that you move into the world offering your message and work sometimes to people who will throw rocks at you, throw you in jail, or slam doors in your face.  Facing the work of this intensity, we do not have to apologize for needing to return to home base.  There must be a strategy for going out, organizing, speaking and raising issues and then coming into yourself and your community for a check-in.  It is important to have a safety zone to refuel where you can eat your dinner with others who will understand and will protect your need to be vulnerable."
            - Dr. Bernice Johnson Reagon (Sweet Honey in the Rock) from her Foreword "Nurturing Resistance" to Reimagining America: The Arts of Social Change

        I just came back from the WOMEX conference in Germany, where I was completely energized by being party of an international community of people who were celebrating the diverse cultural contributions of people who draw from their local roots and send them out to the world.  To a person, every conversation that came up with a non-American pleaded for the US to do the right thing with this election.  It's shocking that Americans are so out of touch from world opinion, (or worse, that they are in touch with it and simply don't care) that they (re)-elected this administration.  I try to console myself with the knowledge that the Northeast of the US, which I call my home, rejected Bush soundly, and in Manhattan and the Bronx, Bush received less than 17% of the vote. I also console myself with the knowledge that over 600 of you came out to see Tinariwen, a Tuareg guitar band, maybe just to shut me up and stop nagging, but also because we have a curiosity and openness to different cultural expressions.  Thanks to all the incredible media support and friends who spread the word on this one.  it was an amazing send-off, and reaffirms why I do what I do.  While I am profoundly disappointed with my country, I am proud of my community.  In these days and years ahead, we must continue to return to our "home base" to be refueled and energized by the creative spirits which surround us, so that we can continue to fight against the oppressive regime that is causing so much damage to our country and to the world.

        So, in the spirit of returning to home base and refueling, we are thrilled to have Dr. Reagon's daughter, Toshi Reagon, a warrior herself, performing for two shows on Saturday night.  Toshi led the orchestra for the recent production of her mother's collaboration with Robert Wilson, The Temptation of St. Anthony at BAM, featuring lots of Joe's Pub faves including Carl Hancock Rux and Helga Davis, and we all know how incendiary and celebratory Toshi's concerts can be.  Come expecting to be refueled, and reenergized with a spirit of love and righteous anger.  And don't be surprised if it's a family affair at the early set.

        A few other notes, and I want to hit send, cause I know you all missed getting this last week while I was away.  It's more important than ever to keep an international perspective, so we don't get too myopic these days, so I am going to particularly mention some shows that take a global perspective.  Before I go there, let me steer you to the newly renovated Joe's Pub website - now with searchability by artist, date, genre, keyword - lots easier to find what you are looking for and buy tix, and we got some photos and press quotes - all kinds of goodies.  It's still a work in progress, and the email blast is next on the hit list, so look forward to getting your feedback. visist www.publictheater.org .

        Brazilian Music!  Unfortunately, tomorrow night's show with Monica Salmaso, which was on track to selling out, had to be cancelled due to illness.  We are looking for someone to play tomorrow night at 9:30, but no one confirmed yet. We'll try to get her back next time she comes to the US.

        We have added a few great Brazilian shows - Rob Curto, accordionist formerly of Forro in the Dark, has a great new forro band, and will be joined by several exponents of Nordestino styles, including Scott Kettner of Maracatu NY and Nation Beat and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho - expect a hardcore Brazilian dance party of baiao, coco and maracatu rhythms on Monday, November 15. On Sunday, November 21, the incredible Brazilian soul singer Ed Motta will perform two shows - he's a star in Brazil, and a concert I produced at Central Park SummerStage, where he opened for one of his idols, Roy Ayers, and ended up collaborating on about 4 songs, goes down as one of the favorite shows I've worked on.  He's an amazing talent, and if you know a Brazilian music or rare groove/soul fan, just ask them - this one is essential.  Finally, on Nov 24, the Brazilian indie-pop duo Mosquitoes finally make their way to Joe's Pub.  We've been trying to get them here for a while, and are thrilled it's finally happening.

        Mexico Now!  Joe's Pub is proud to be a part of Arts International's citywide celebration of contemporary Mexican performing and visual arts, and for our part, we have some of the finest in Mexican alternative and electronic music.  On Monday, November 15, Monterrey's Plastilina Mosh make a rare NYC appearance, bringing a sound that has been described as "the Beastie Boys meets Beck meets Cafe Tacuba".  They will do two shows at 9:30 and 11:30 . The following Monday, we present the NY debut of two groups from Guadalajara's Nopal Beat movement - Sweet Electra and God is My Name - Nopal Beat is to Guadalajara what Nortec is to Tijuana, with a bit more of a downtempo and deep house flavor.  And just added, one of our favorites, Ely Guerra, who celebrates her new record Sweet and Sour, Hot y Spicy .  Ely's previous solo shows at Joe's Pub have been magical, and we look forward to finally seeing her here with the full band.  Special thanks to Arts International, KCRW radio and La Banda Elastica for their support.

        Roots reggae!  We don't have a chance to present live reggae as much as we'd want, and are thrilled to have one of roots reggae's finest exponents - Morgan Heritage, in a special intimate show celebrating their newest album - their gospel inflected harmonies, and conscious messages are positive and uplifting.  Tickets are close to sold out, so don't wait.  Next Wednesday, Sally Timms, of the Mekons fame, brings her countrified solo project along with Johnny Dowd, followed by the Irish pub rocker Joe Hurley with his all-star band the Gents :James Mastro (Ian Hunter, John Cale), Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), Kenny Margolis (Cracker).  And Saturday, Nov 13, Pharaoh's Daughter brings you on a pan-Mediterranean journey.

        And speaking of global journeys, I had the great pleasure of spinning in two European countries last week - Fabian and I brought the GlobeSonic party to Essen's Salsoteca last Wednesday, as an unofficial kick-off to WOMEX, and it was a great place to gather all our friends together before the conference kicked into full gear, and show off our new visuals from Casey Meade of Projectile Arts.  Special thanks to Christine, Alexander and Jan of WOMEX for helping set it up.  I also stopped through London on my way back, and at the last minute, Jonathan Walton of Oi Va Voi invited me down to spin with him at a great party, Costa Urbana at the Notting Hill Arts Club - great room, great crowd, great vibe, and felt frightfully like our home at nublu.  It was a terrific way to unwind from the conference craziness, and inspired by the rocking last day set by Mahala Rai Banda, I focused on Gypsy brass bands, and horn-drenched banda/cumbia/reggaeton jams, and I was very happy to see our good friends Susheela Raman and Sam Mills stop by to say hey.

        Speaking of nublu, GlobeSonic will be back for the next in our monthly residency at Nublu on Saturday, November 13, and you can be sure I'll be dropping a bunch of new tracks I picked up last weekend - just going through the dozens of Cd's I picked up and already discovered some gems to share.  And we'll also have a special live set by Real Live Show, in a special birthday set. Real Live, who will be at Joe's Pub on November 30, bring a high energy show with two dope MC's Stimulus and Dionysus, backed by some of the funkiest instrumentalists on the NY scene. They've got a new CD Class Is In Session, released on Studio Distribution, now available at fine stores nationwide and online at www.studiodistribution.com/artist.php?id=67222   We look forward to seeing what sparks fly when we bring our two crowds together.

        GlobeSonic
        Resident DJ's: Acidophilus and Derek Beres (and Fabian Alsultany in absentia this month)
        Live set from Real Live Show
        Saturday, November 13
        10 pm - close
        $5, free with email
        nublu
        62 ave c (between 4th and 5th Streets)
        NYC - a blue city in a blue state

        Lastly, those of you who get my e-blasts regularly know what I think of the brilliant songwriter Stew, who has made himself an artistic home at The Public Theater.  Not only do we present him in Joe's Pub and at the Joe's Pub in the Park at the Delacorte, but we have also commissioned a theater piece, which he is currently developing.  Stew spent a few weeks this summer at the Sundance Theater Lab, where we was the hit of Park City, and he's coming back to NY in week, to my old stomping grounds at Symphony SpaceStew will be bringing his entire 8 piece band to New York for the first time, playing songs never before performed in New York. Selections will be played from all of his 8 albums (including The Negro Problem!). A must see show for old-school fans and new ones alike. Musical co-direction by Heidi Rodewald. Two completely different shows: 7:30 and 9:30. Buy tix to both and receive a free drink!

        Tickets: $21; Seniors, Students: $18
        Venue: Leonard Nimoy Thalia; 95th street and Broadway

        Tix: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=411&pid=5380672

        And Symphony Space has offered a special deal to people on my list: Buy a full-price ticket to one show and mention discount code TMUSTEW and receive a $10 ticket to the second show!

        Stew is an amazing writer and performer, and his music is filled with humor, anger, pain, joy and insight.  These shows should be very special.  Hope to see you there.

        All the best,

        Bill Bragin
        Director of Joe's Pub
        The Public Theater
        425 Lafayette Street
        New York, NY  10003

        t/ 212.539.8512
        f/ 212.539.8505
        e/ bbragin@...
        www.joespub.com

        "This will be our reply to violence:
        to make music more intensely,
        more beautifully,
        more devotedly than ever before."

        Leonard Bernstein

        YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEE LIES, CORRUPTION AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!
        DIRTY TRICKS
        By John Jeter, directed by Margaret Whitton, with Judith Ivey
        BOOK YOUR TICKETS TODAY! MUST CLOSE ON SUNDAY! Full info at bottom of email.
        .
        Joe's Pub Schedule of Events

        *********************Joe's Pub Schedule of Events*********************
        Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
        Location: 425 Lafayette Street between East 4th St. & Astor Place.
        Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
        For information & reservations please call 212.539.8778
        or, for Telecharge listed events call 212.239.6200.

        For show descriptions for the upcoming month, and weekly late night events, see below.

        *** = newly-added show
        -----
        ASLYN / Thurs, November 4 [SOLD OUT]

        E.S.T. / Thurs, November 4

        Monica Salmaso / Fri, November 5

        Isaac Mizrahi / Fridays, November 5 & 12

        Toshi Reagon & Big Lovely / Sat, November 6

        Susan Egan in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series / Sun, November 7

        Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests Charles Busch and Michael Musto / Sun, November 7

        Cerveris / Uncle Moon / Mon, November 8

        The Petersons / Mon, November 8

        Blood of Haiti/New World Movement Benefit for Relief Victims of Haiti / Mon, November 8

        Morgan Heritage: Full Circle CD Release / Tues, November 9

        Ihsan / Heston / Tues, November 9

        Sally Timms / Johnny Dowd / Wed, November 10

        Joe Hurley / Wed, November 10

        URB Magazine Private Party feat. Medusa, Airborne Audio, Jean Grae, DJ Kool Marv / Wed, November 10

        Vienna Teng w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm) / Thurs, November 11

        Isaac Mizrahi / Fri, November 12

        Eric Andersen/ Fri, November 12

        Adam Pascal: Civilian CD Release / Sat, November 13 [SOLD OUT - 2nd show added 11/27]

        Pharaoh's Daughter / Sat, November 13

        The Peace Within Concert feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel & Jean Feraca / Sun, November 14

        Katie Elevitch w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax / Sat, November 14

        Rob Curto's Forró Party Band: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) & Jorge Martins (Cascabulho) / Mon, November 15

        KCRW.COM Presents:
        Plastilina Mosh (part of the Mexico Now Festival) / Mon, November 15

        The Just for Laughs Experience 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias, The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt / Tues, November 16

        Hot Karl: Before I Get Famous / Tues, November 16

        Glen Phillips with special guest Kyle Riabko / Wed, November 17

        ***Lord Have Mercy album release party feat. Pumpkinhead, Wordsworth, Punch and DJ J. Period / Wed, November 17

        Ian McLagan (of Small Faces) & The Bump Band / Thurs, November 18

        Kelly Joe Phelps / Thurs, November 18

        Richard Shindell with special guest Eliza Gilkyson / Fri and Sat, November 19-20

        Marion LoGuidice / Fri, November 19

        Odetta / Sat, November 20

        Ed Motta / Sun, November 21

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 22 & 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        Sweet Electra and God is My Name (part of Mexico Now festival) / Mon, November 22

        Rich Price / Tues, November 23

        The Shorebirds / Tues, November 23

        Marta Topferova / Marta Gomez / Wed, November 24

        Mosquitos / Wed, November 24

        ***Francis Dunnery and David Sancious / Sat, November 26

        Brian Vander Ark / Fri, November 26

        Adam Pascal: Civilian / Sat, November 27

        Res / Sat, November 27

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        ***Ely Guerra [part of the Mexico Now Festival] / Sun, November 28

        Edison Woods / Sarah Slean / Tues, November 30

        The Real Live Show / Tues, November 30

        Nancy Sinatra / Wed, December 1

        Fleurine feat. Jesse van Ruller & special guest Brad Mehldau: Fire CD Release / Thurs, December 2

        Tony Joe White / Thurs, December 2

        Luciana Souza: Celebrating Neruda / Sat, December 4

        Juliana Hatfield / Sat, December 4

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        The Luminescent Orchestrii and Choir / Mon, December 6

        Isle of Klezbos / Tues, December 7

        BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet / Tues, December 7

        Raul Midon / Wed, December 8

        Keren Ann / Wed, December 8

        Nora York / Thurs, December 9

        ***Pheobe Legere: How the Accordian Saved the World / Thurs, December 9

        Lina Koutrakos / Fri, December 10

        One Ring Zero w/ special guests Rick Moody, Jonathan Ames, AM Homes & more / Fri, December 10

        Howard Fishman / Sat, December 11

        Rene Risque & The Art Lovers: The Annual Christmas Show and Hanukkah, Too / Sat, December 11

        Dan Moses Schreier and Dan Hurlin: The Shoulder CD Release / Sun, December 12

        ***Lapis Lazuli feat. Kurt Wolf (of Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, and Foetus Inc.) with special guest Retada / Sun, December 12

        Heather Greene / Mon, December 13

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 13, 20 & 27

        ***North Star Fund's 25th Anniversary Kickoff feat. William Cepeda and his International Septet / Tues, December 14

        YahZarah / Kameko: Evolutionary Alternative / Tues, December 14

        Jane Siberry w/ special guest Adrienne Pierce / Wed - Fri, December 15 - 17

        Tammy Faye Starlite: Tammy Does Loretta / Thurs, December 16

        BETTY: Snowbiz / Fri - Sun, December 17 - 19

        Mike Errico Holiday Show / Sat, December 18

        ***Jamie McGonnigal Presents: Miracle on Lafayette
        An Evening to Benefit God's Love We Deliver / Sun, December 19

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 20 & 27

        Imani Uzuri: Winter Solstice Holiday Concert / Mon, December 20

        Easter Rising written by Michael Arden / Tues, December 21

        Heeb Storytelling with Todd Barry, Jill Sobule and more / Wed, December 22

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mon, December 27

        ***Steve Forbert / Sat & Sun, January 1 & 2

        ***Chris Smither / Fri, January 7

        globalFEST, feat. Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Eva Ayllon, Juana Molina, Lokua Kanza, Mory Kante, Noche Flamenca, feat. Soledad Barrio & Martin Santangelo, Ollabelle, Paris Combo, Rokia Traore, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Warsaw Village Band, Yoshida Brothers & DJ Rekha / Sat, January 8

        Antony and the Johnsons / Sun, January 9

        Marlo Marron / Sun, January 16

        Carolyn Hudson: Living In My Skin CD Release / Mon, January 17

        Katie Melua / Wednesday, January 19

        Lucy Kaplansky / Thursday-Friday, January 20-21

        Min Xiao-Fen: The Blue Pipa Trio Celebrates the Year of the Rooster / Sat, January 22

        ***Ralph's World / Sun, February 6

        ***Rhonda Vincent / Jim Lauderdale / Fri, March 18
        ----------

        UPCOMING PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTIONS
        Thurs, November 4
        ASLYN
        7pm, SOLD OUT

        Thurs, November 4
        E.S.T.
        E.S.T. (the Esbjörn Svensson Trio) is phenomenal, acclaimed by Downbeat as "one of the hottest jazz acts in Europe today." A jazz trio, which sees itself as a pop band that plays jazz, E.S.T. breaks with the tradition of leader and sidemen in favor of equality within its members. Playing rock venues as well as the usual jazz clubs, in their native Sweden their music can be found in the pop-charts and their videos playing on MTV Scandinavia. Openness, curiosity, and a little bit of chance are all a part of pianist Esbjörn Svensson's artistic foundation. With their unique soundscape, combining jazz with drum 'n' bass, electronic elements, funk, and pop and rock as well as European Classical music, E.S.T.'s audience spans from the classic jazz-fans to the youngest Hip Hop fans. The 2002 release "Strange Place for Snow" has broken all records as far as awards are concerned: The German Jazz Award, the German Critics Award for "Best Jazz Album of the Year", the Guiness Jazz in Europe Award, the Choc l'annee by the French Jazzman magazine, and the Victoire de la Musique (French Grammy) in the category "Best International Act" proving that this band is "the trio of the decade" (London Times). Their latest album Seven Days of Falling is proving to be another sensation. "Toeing a surprisingly fine line between acoustic-jazz accessibility and electronic-music ingenuity, E.S.T. is a forward-thinking Swedish trio that adds subtle, dark ambient texture (and then some) to the traditional piano-trio format...well-constructed tunes with catchy, often-lilting melodies...they bring in some simple folk music balladry, add some classical music complexity, and even touch on the creeping influence of electro rock à la Radiohead." -Amazon www.hopper-management.com 9:30pm, $15 advance/$20 at door

        Fridays, November 5 & 12
        ISAAC MIZRAHI
        "Isaac is a fabulous singer and a consummate musician." -Mrs. Sarah Mizrahi.
        Following the success of his recent appearances at Joe's Pub, featured on his show on Oxygen TV, fashion designer and TV personality Isaac Mizrahi sings his head off for four special fall shows. Featuring jazz pianist and rising star Ben Waltzer and his quintet, it's not something you can afford to miss. www.target.com 7:30pm, $20

        Fri, November 5
        MONICA SALMASO
        With beauty and rapport as her primary criteria, Monica Salmaso, the lyric soul of Brazil, demonstrates that she is an artist who not only strives to reach the audience, to move it emotionally, but who also does so with only the finest material. Part of what sets Salmaso apart is her canny choice of material, with an emphasis on ballads that showcase her "gorgeous, quintessentially Brazilian voice." -New York Times. She draws her repertoire from many of Brazil's greatest songwriters, such as Dorival Caymmi, Chico Buarque, Djavan, Ary Barroso, though some of her most effective pieces are folk songs that she renders timeless. At a time when many Brazilian music lovers are worried about the rise of throw away pop music dominating the radio, Salmaso shows that there's still plenty of room on the airwaves for beauty. "Her voice is a fluent and beautifully colored instrument." -Billboard www.monicasalmaso.mus.br 9:30pm, $20

        Sat, November 6
        TOSHI REAGON & BIG LOVELY
        Singer Toshi Reagon calls to mind classic R&B artists, like Stevie Wonder or Prince, and old school rock groups like Led Zeppelin; she can take any style, update it, and make it her own with incredible ease. Despite (or because of) her genre-bending, Toshi fits comfortably on a stage with any of the Lilith artists, at Carnegie Hall, in a dirty rock club or in a hip, downtown boite. Of her innovative rock crossed with soul-influenced, blues-tinged folk, Interview magazine raved, "Anyone who thinks rock is a dead medium need only listen to the music of Toshi Reagon and her almighty band Big Lovely." Most people would just tell you that to truly understand how Toshi can seamlessly transcend all of these genres, you have to check her out live. "Oh, that voice ...devotees know they've born witness to one of the great voices of this generation." -Village Voice www.toshireagon.com 7:30 & 9:30pm, $20

        Sun, November 7
        SUSAN EGAN in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series
        7pm, SOLD OUT

        Sun, November 7
        Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests CHARLES BUSCH and MICHAEL MUSTO
        CAUSE CELEB! is a cult downtown hit alternative cabaret series that features interpretive readings of celebrity autobiographies. Created by Nancy Balbirer and Charlotte Booker, each themed evening draws from the most sensational (and often salacious) passages of starry tomes, to
        hilariously dramatic effect. November 7th's theme is HOW TO: ADVICE FROM THE STARS! and includes sage tidbits from some of Hollywood's Greats, Near-Greats and Not-So-Greats. Learn how to have the perfect bowel movement from Marilu Henner! Jot down diet tips from Liz Taylor! Impress friends with Tommy Lee's rules for pleasuring a woman and much, much more! Come see the show Next Magazine proclaimed "Easily the most fabulous 'must-see' of New York nightlife!" With seven performers including Ms. Balbirer and Ms. Booker, and special guest stars Charles Busch (as Arlene Dahl) and Michael Musto (as Paris Hilton). 9:30pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        CERVERIS / UNCLE MOON
        Singer/songwriter Michael Cerveris' career straddles the disparate worlds of theatre and indie rock. Tonight, joined by a powerful rock band plus string quartet, Cerveris focuses on material from his ferocious and fragile solo debut album, dog eared, which "...turns pathos into pop redemption" (Amplifier). The Tony Award-winning actor and rock musician Cerveris -- former frontman of British band Retriever (Hinterlands) and the U.S. group Lame, as well as touring guitarist/vocalist on Bob Mould's '98 US/UK "Dog and Pony Show" sojourn -- originated the title role in the Broadway hit Tommy and in the late 90s, he starred in the smash cult hit Hedwig and the Angry Inch on London's West End, in New York Off-Broadway, and in Los Angeles, and most recently, on Broadway in Sondheim and Weidman's "Assassins". On his new deeply personal and passionate album, recorded with friends including Corin Tucker and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney, Laura Cantrell, The Posies' Ken Stringfellow and Sonic Youth's Steve Shelley, Cerveris highlights his versatile hook-filled songwriting, emotionally resonant vocals and subtle arrangements. "...this is the very model of the modern Breakup Record.with its emphasis on acoustic guitars, uncertain melodies and hushed, tremulous singing, Dog Eared most recalls the work of the late Elliott Smith." -Time Out NY www.cerveris.com
        Uncle Moon weaves an eclectic variety of music drawing on the unique possibilities of instrumentation consisting of guitar, accordion, violin, saxophone and double bass and as a result has been called everything from "Kurt Weill at the Grand Ol' Opry" to "the closest that performance art music has come to moonshine." Performing special arrangements of material by a melange of artists that include Django Rheinhardt, Thelonius Monk, Velvet Underground, and The Butthole Surfers, as well as their impressive original material Uncle Moon provides a sound experience that audiences will not soon forget. 7pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        THE PETERSONS
        The Petersons, upstate New York's favorite rock and roll family, are back to blow the roof off Joe's Pub. The metaphorical roof, that is...the actual roof's far too valuable. The Petersons are Adam Stein, Keira Naughton, Matt Saldivar, Evan Robertson and Pete Simpson, and they always come prepared with a completely new show and surprise special guests. Previous drop-ins include Academy Award winner Paul Newman, Tony Award winners James Naughton and Robert Sean Leonard, Emmy Award nominee Michael C. Hall, superstar John Cameron Mitchell, and many many more. Described by The New York Times as "a hipster theater mock-rock group with a devoted following," The Petersons will bring you the gift of laughter, the gift of musical bliss, and most important of all...the gift of eternal salvation. If you don't believe it, come on down and see for yourself. "One of the funniest, most original shows in town" -Time Out New York 9:30pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        BLOOD OF HAITI/NEW WORLD MOVEMENT BENEFIT FOR RELIEF VICTIMS OF HAITI
        Haitian Hip Hop Artists come together Jules, Mecca, Martilee, Negnoir Army, Lyon Paw, Ella Turenne and others. Hosted by Won-G. And a screening of documentary by Danny Glover: "Sove Nou".
        The First Land Movement is an organization aimed at working to bring the hip hop community together to raise support for issues concerning the world community. The movement's ultimate goal is to help raise money that will buy food, books and other supplies to help rebuild communities across the Globe. The First Land Movement will raise awareness through benefit concerts, rallies, fundraisers and other events. Performances, however, are just one aspect of raising money for these causes. Corporate and private donors are also urged to help the cause. www.negoirrecords.com | www.firmcleo.net 11pm, $15 and accepted donations, clothing, food, etc.

        Tues, November 9
        MORGAN HERITAGE: Full Circle CD Release
        Morgan Heritage is more than just a legendary reggae band. They're a revolution, a family, a force of nature, and a crew of five independent artists on a musical mission. With "Full Circle," their seventh album for VP Records, Morgan Heritage connects with reggae's past while blazing an uncharted path into a musical future beyond categorization. "...the favorite reggae band of today's skater kids, eschewing trendiness for roots sounds and Rasta messages, and sealing the deal with achingly beautiful sibling harmonies second to none in Jamaican music." -All Music Guide. 7pm, $20

        Tues, November 9
        IHSAN / HESTON
        Manhattan born, Jersey bred, and Brooklyn steeped Ihsan rhymes, sings, chants, and rocks the crowd to the sway of her hips. Having performed and dominated the New York spoken - word and underground club scenes, Ihsan has spread her wings to write her self-titled debut album which features her signature hits "Black" and "Bones." On it, Ihsan combines the bluesy funk quality of Jill Scott with the expansive imagination of Erykah Badu, and reminds listeners what good music is all about. Don't miss this chance to let Ihsan teach you how to groove at Joe's Pub.
        World-soul artist, Heston, brings it back to NY after a crazy summer! From sharing the stage with Angie Stone and George Clinton at Atlanta's famed Midtown Music Festival to opening a performance with Van Hunt and Kanye West at the On-The-Bricks Festival in front of 35,000 people, Heston has been spreading the love and his music to the masses. Following the incredible response both nationally and internationally from his self-titled EP, Heston is completing production on his forthcoming album - due out in early 2005. Heston is excited to get back to the intimate setting at one of his favorite clubs - Joe's Pub. This event is proudly supported by Sista Factory www.sistafactory.com 9:30pm, $12

        Wed, November 10
        SALLY TIMMS / JOHNNY DOWD
        Sally Timms, best known for her involvement with the Mekons, continues to define alt-country in her newest recording In The World of Him (Touch and Go). The album, recorded with Johnny Dowd showcases songs written by men and sung from their perspective - featuring songs by Ryan Adams, Mark Eitzel, Kevin Coyne and more. "Timms blends rapture and disenchantment in a way that recalls those old cliches about why caged birds sing. Her voice, a secretive murmur refined by her native English accent, is the stuff of lullabies. But her knowing stance pulls back from that intimacy with a sweet sadness." -New York Times http://nytimes.com/2004/09/27/arts/music/27choi.html
        "There's intense and there's Johnny Dowd. He's Nick Cave with a hangover. Hank's lonesome whistle spat through Waits's grinder, with Beefheart on the side, coming on like a flu-ridden Texan undertaker singing broken folk laments for a dead dog he never cared much for anyway...his cracked larynx, jagged guitar and spooky organ possessed of something quite unnerving, eking out gothic tales laced with tar-black humour." -Time Out London 7pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Joe Hurley 9:30pm show

        Wed, November 10
        JOE HURLEY
        As the leader of longtime NYC favorites Rogue's March, Joe Hurley has released several critically acclaimed CDs, and performed with the likes of Marianne Faithfull, Amy Rigby, Sally Timms, Martha Wainwright,and Shane MacGowan. The combination of Hurley's heartfelt vocal quality and his flair for cinematic storytelling has been recognized and captured on record by producers such as Tony Visconti( Bowie), Rob Fraboni (Stones) and PJ Harvey. For this special night at Joe's Pub, Hurley will be backed by The Gents, a sublime cast of NYC allstars, including Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), James Mastro (John Cale, Ian Hunter), Kenny Margolis (Cracker) and Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate) -- Joe and The Gents will be playing songs culled from his forthcoming CD an eclectic mix of stripped-down ballads, music-hall flavored sing-alongs, and flat-out stinging r&r...Expect very special guests. "Joe Hurley is one of New York's most entertaining frontmen - His distinctive vocals can be raucous as all get-out, and as sorrowful as a baritone can be" -Village Voice www.roguesmarch.com 9:30pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Sally Timms 7pm show

        Thurs, November 11
        VIENNA TENG w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm)
        With her graceful melodies and evocative lyrics, Vienna -- "a love child of Chopin and Sarah McLachlan" (San Jose Mercury News) -- has garnered critical acclaim and a rapidly growing legion of fans throughout the world. Her first album "Waking Hour" took Vienna from anonymity to fame in a few short months, and her newest release "Warm Strangers" produced by David Henry (REM, Cowboy Junkies, Josh Rouse) and mixed by Roger Moutenot (Roseanne Cash, Guster, Joseph Arthur) promises to take her to the next level. "Sharp and poetic...smart and layered songcraft." -Washington Post www.viennateng.com
        Formed in Manhattan in 1997 by singer/songwriter Steve O'Reilly and guitarist/producer Matt Anthony and later joined by drummer Dave Femia and Bassist Rod Quevedo, Tammany Hall NYC hasn't stopped making great music. "At a time when more-calculating-than-thou Pop cynicism has taken over the radio, singer Steve O'Reilly's naked emotion hits like a shot of whiskey." -San Fransisco Bay Guardian www.tammanyhallnyc.com
        Having grown up in Lubbock, Texas, Beth Wood is classically trained in piano, violin, harp and voice. After spending two years studying voice and piano at Brevard College in North Carolina, Beth moved on to The University of Texas, where she picked up a degree in Literature and her first guitar. Teaching herself guitar, she joined a band and became part of the Austin music scene. After a few years of playing around Austin in her band, and then in a duo, Beth kissed her day-job goodbye and returned to the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina to pursue music full-time. The natural beauty of her surroundings provided inspiration while the supportive community helped Beth to become a stand-out in the Asheville songwriters' community. Now an established singer/songwriter, she occasionally resides in Arlington, Texas, while continuously touring to support her five independent releases. www.bethwoodmusic.com 6:30 & 9pm, $15

        Fri, November 12
        ISAAC MIZRAHI
        [see 11/5 for full info] 7:30pm, $20

        Fri, November 12
        ERIC ANDERSEN
        Eric Andersen's songs, voice, and guitar have created a career, spanning over 30 years, that includes 21 albums of original songs, and numerous tours of North America, Europe, and Japan. His songs have been recorded by artists all over the world, including Judy Collins, Fairport Convention, Peter Paul and Mary, Rick Nelson, Linda Ronstadt, The Grateful Dead, and Francoise Hardy. "Andersen is one of America's finest lyric-poet songwriters...he stands with his contemporaries Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell - as one of the few remaining pioneers of the 60's singer/songwriter movement continuing to do important work." -Aquarian Weekly 9:30pm, $20

        Sat, November 13
        ADAM PASCAL: Civilian CD Release
        7pm, SOLD OUT
        *2nd show added November 27!

        Sat, November 13
        PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER
        This evening will open with a composition by oud player, Basya Schechter, funded in part by NYSCA, and featuring a small Arabic orchestra, musically directed by Bassam Saba, virtuoso ney, oud and violin player in Simon Shaheen's ensemble. The rest of the program features Pharaoh's Daughter, who debuted this year at Summerstage, and who the Village Voice describes as "totally beautiful...stitching torah to indo to jazz to pop...balancing spirituality with cultural pluralism." 9:30pm, $12 in advance/$15 at the door

        Sun, November 14
        THE PEACE WITHIN CONCERT feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel, and Jean Feraca
        The "Peace Within" project rocks Public Radio with four 4 powerful singer-songwriters. Dorothy Scott is a versatile singer/songwriter who delivers naked soul and honesty with an intoxicatingly passionate vibe, and has been compared to Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, and Jeff Buckley. Sloan Wainwright holds a beautiful musical style that melds the best of rock, folk, jazz and blues to a soulful hybrid. Julie Gold is best known as the writer of "From A Distance: (winning the Grammy for song of the year in 1990. Corky Siegel has earned an international reputation as one of the world's greatest blues harmonica masters. Special guest, Jean Feraca from Wisconsin Public Radio, will open the show with her award winning essay "Crossing the Great Divide" , which speaks of the power of radio to connect people across boundaries. The "Peace Within" concert series is a nation wide project which is designed to strengthen and support public and independent radio stations across the nation. 7pm, $20

        Sun, November 14
        KATIE ELEVITCH w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax
        Recently chosen as a Village Voice Choice by music editor Chuck Eddy and called a "positively riveting talent" by The Big Takeover, Katie Elevitch is a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose songs and live band shows lure you into a sonic devotional journey across lush landscapes of groove heavy rock, soul, folk and jazz. Her debut album, Now Is The Destination, which will be released this December, was produced by Tony Maimone and was proclaimed "the kick-ass side of fuck yeah" by Obie-award winning playwright and Giant Step recording artist, Carl Hancock Rux. With Jonathan Maron (Groove Collective) bass, Tim Vaill, drums and Riley McMahon, guitar. www.KatieElevitch.com | www.NowIsTheDestination.com
        The former front man of world-renowned black rock band 24-7 Spyz and the funk-based band Egypt, Jeff Brodnax creates luscious, symphonic scale songs of love and loss using only the barest of necessities: his voice and guitar. Jeff currently soothes souls in the NYC subway tunnels. www.cdbaby.com/brodnax 9:30pm, $10

        Mon, November 15
        ROB CURTO'S FORRó PARTY BAND: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) and Jorge Martins (Cascabulho)
        "Música do Nordeste" -- an evening of Brazilian music from special Northeast region. Featuring Rob Curto's energetic Forró Band and special guests Scott Kettner, members of his groups Maracatu NY and Nation Beat ensemble, and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho, from Recife, Brazil. This show will be a special collaboration combining elements of Forró, the accordion-driven dance music of the northeast of Brazil, with Maracatu and other rhythms from the state Pernambuco, home of Jorge Martins from the popular band Cascabulho. Maracatu, originally linked to the election of a "King of the Congo" by the African slaves in Brazil is a super-energetic, percussive and syncopated form of music, which remains popular in Brazil and, along with Forró is becoming recognized throughout the world. Don't miss this special performance. 7:30pm, $12

        Mon, November 15
        KCRW.COM Presents:
        PLASTILINA MOSH
        part of the Mexico Now Festival
        With comparisons to Beck, Air and Buffalo Daughter, Plastilina Mosh's breezy post-mod hip-pop music, mixing English and Spanish lyrics, perfectly reflects a kind of bordertown internationalism...in one word "sleazydiscofunkpunk-newwavehiphop". The Monterrey, Mexico duo - Juan José "Jonaz" González and Alejandro Rosso - come together in an unusual group with an uncommon name which comes from the sonic combination of two dissimilar words that exemplify the members' personalities: visceral opposites. Their breakthrough single "Niño Bomba" was the first rock-en-Español clip ever added to MTV's rotation. Over the years, they have worked with a who's who of the Latin and Anglo alternative worlds, from Café Tacuba to the Beta Band's producer Chris Allison, to Beastie Boys' Money Mark. After along break, P-Mosh's released their third album, "Hola Chicuelos", which again captures P-Mosh's freshness and sense of humor, with guest appearances by Asian massive percussionist Karsh Kale, Brazilian singer Pat C, amd Maurizio Terracina of Zurdok. "Boombastic beats, over-the-top rapping in Spanglish, and a fair share of salsa, funk, and lounge-jazz thrown in to boot...Beck can't rock the house as convincingly and fiercely as Plastilina Mosh...edgy but not humorless, keeping one foot on the dance floor and one in the mosh pit." -Pitchfork. www.plastilinamosh.com.mx
        This concert is presented in association with the Mexico Now, a citywide festival of contemporary Mexican arts and culture, which presents the work of over 100 Mexican filmmakers, architects, writers, dance, theater, music, and visual artists at 30 of New York City's leading arts venues in November 2004. Mexico Now is a project of Arts International, the nation's only nonprofit organization solely devoted to international arts exchange. More information available at www.mexiconowfestival.org. Flights provided courtesy of the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores de México. 9:30 & 11:30pm, $20

        Tues, November 16
        THE JUST FOR LAUGHS EXPERIENCE 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias and The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt
        Join us for a raucous evening of comedy featuring a line-up of stand-out stand-ups from Montreal's Just For Laughs, the world's largest and most prestigious comedy festival. Hosted by Brent Butt, star of the hit CTV sitcom Corner Gas, and featuring the talents of Bill Burr, from Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show", Ted Alexandro, NY comedy club circuit veteran whose numerous television appearances include "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "The Late Show with David Letterman", the unique blend of song and satire from rising Canadian comedy team The Doo Wops, and Montrealer Joey Elias, who lost a bet 12 years ago and was forced onto the comedy stage. Now, he has no less than seven appearances at the Just For Laughs Festival and appeard on the 2003 cross-Canada tour. He made a colossal splash during his outstanding performance at the 2002 Just For Laughs Gala. He has recently appeared on MTV's Road Rules. A truly "best of" evening that is not to be missed. www.hahaha.com 7pm, $15

        Tues, November 16
        HOT KARL: Before I Get Famous
        When hip-hop began its attack on mainstream culture in the mid-80's, it found itself in some pretty strange neighborhoods. It started to influence kids that the music was never intended for. Shows like Yo! MTV Raps and national tours from Run DMC brought rap music to uncharted territories never thought of during its birth in the hood. This is when the suburbs discovered rap music. And so did Hot Karl. As Karl continues his attempt to "make hip-hop fun," he never focuses on the morbid and fake world of guns, jewels and money that is the current trend in urban music. "I'm only going to speak about things I know," Karl explains. "My keeping it real is much different than most other MC's." Destined to be voice of the suburbs, Hot Karl attempts to introduce his upbringing and signature humor to the mainstream through rap. His forthcoming album on BBE/Headless Heroes features production and guest appearances from DJ Quik, Will.I.Am, 9th Wonder, Ayatollah, C-Minus, MC Serch, Jamey Staub, Reggie Watts and Mayru. 9:30pm, $10 advance/$12 at door

        Wed, November

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)