joe's pub upcoming events...

    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 5, 2004
      What an exciting week it's been here! Last night, we were graced with a
      surprise performance by Sting, who sang a song after introducing his
      longtime guitarist Dominic Miller in celebration of Dominic's solo
      record. There were so many flashbulbs going off it felt like a
      lightning storm in the club! Earlier in the week, Cee-Lo debuted
      material from his new record, Cee-Lo Green is a Soul Machine, with a
      private concert and surprise appearance at the late night Eclectic Ride
      party, with a slamming 8 piece band. And Jim Cuddy of Canada's
      roots-rock legends Blue Rodeo turned his Upper North Side series night
      with Luke Doucet (Sarah MacLachlan's longtime guitarist) into a full-on
      collaboration, alternating songs and backing each other up all night.
      Great songwriting, great vibe. And of course, Jackie Hoffman continued
      her sold out run, and we are now sold out through April, and taking
      orders for May and June.

      Tonight and tomorrow we have the next installments of Dance Now NYC - a
      great lineup of dance companies of all types - sexy, athletic, funny,
      creepy - filled with astronauts, toilet paper, masks, welder's masks and
      music by White Stripes, Tom Waits, Irene Cara and more - and a great
      introduction to what's happening on the NY scene. Check out the photo
      of Keely Garfield in today's Times (but note the show is at 7, not
      what's printed in the paper), or the pick in the Village Voice Spring
      highlights.

      Speaking of dance, I am on the host committee for a benefit for the
      choreographer Wally Cardona at the Duke on 42nd St. Truth be told, I
      will be out of town and miss the run, but that's no reason you should.
      I have worked with Wally at SummerStage, provided music supervision for
      a piece he presented at the Joyce's Altogether Different festival, and
      am a big fan of his work. See the end of this email for information
      about how to get tickets to see this terrific company and support them
      as they move toward some very big things that you'll start hearing about
      soon.

      A bunch of upcoming shows are already sold out, like this weekend's Dan
      Bern, but we have 3 more chances, so don't wait - It promises to be as
      funny, politically biting and incisive as always. Also coming up we
      have some very special vocalists, on Saturday Amy x Neuburg stops in
      from SF with her Avant-Cabaret, sharing the bill with ethel's violinist
      extraordinaire Todd Reynolds bringing his bank of samplers and
      electronic wizardry. and then Monday, jazz vocalist Lisa Sokolov
      celebrates the release of her newest record, followed by Manhattan
      transfer's Cheryl Bentyne on Tuesday.

      We were so blown away by the East Village Opera Company's performance a
      week or so ago, that when Jesse Winchester postponed his show (new date
      not yet set), we invited them back - they are the kind of group that
      will keep winning converts every time they play - if you are a fan of
      Queen, or the Downtown Messiah (which Evill OpCo's Peter Kierswalter
      musical directs), or classic operatic arias, this is a group to catch.

      And Cuban's incredible violinist Alfredo de la Fe will celebrate the
      release of his new album later that night with a who's who of the NY
      Latin jazz scene - incredible musicianship, inventive arrangements, and
      irresistible (and don't worry about visa troubles - he lives here....)

      Thursday night, Jonatha Brooke begins her 2 week run in the Anspacher
      Theater - a gorgeous 3/4 theater space also at The Public Theater, as
      Joe's Pub begins to take over the rest of the building (or so claims
      George Wolfe). Her concerts in the Pub last August were really special
      - we are thrilled that she has chosen to launch her new album with us.
      Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait - a lot of press about the new
      record is about to hit.

      And while we are speaking of singer-songwriters, keep your eyes peeled
      for some very special announcements next week about some upcoming shows
      just added. And save the date for Joe's Pub's third annual benefit, on
      Sat, April 24 - we'll let you know who the artist is in an upcoming
      email blast. We've also put on a sale a ton of new shows in May and
      beyond, including Jamie Cullum, Juana Molina, dirty Dozen Brass Band,
      Fairport Convention and the first electric Strawbs show in at least a
      decade, so read the fine print this week, and feel free to tell your
      friends to sign up to our list for early warnings.

      I'm off to Miami this weekend for the m3summit, and will be back next
      Tuesday, with a few days to check out brand new tracks to unleash at our
      next GlobeSonic party, at nublu Avenue C and 5th Street on Saturday,
      March 13, 10 pm - late. Admission is free with our emails, $5 without.
      And speaking of nublu, we continue our exchange with them for the next
      in their semi-regular late night Joe's Pub excursions next Wednesday,
      March 10, when Wax Poetic returns.

      That's it for now, sorry about the ads as always, and see you soon.

      Don't forget to register to vote. Election is only 8 months away. It's
      important.

      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailemailimages/153/9675/header_1.jpg>
      In association with Joe's Pub, The Public Theater presents JONATHA
      BROOKE at The Public's Anspacher Theater.

      Acclaimed singer songwriter Jonatha Brooke returns to The Public Theater
      stage performing songs from her latest album, Back in the Circus, as
      well as re-exploring some of her earlier work. Rolling Stone calls
      Jonatha Brooke's music "..pure folk clarity cut with pure rock opacity".
      Billboard Magazine dubbed her "...one of the most gifted and unique
      artists of the decade, with the ability to restore your faith in song as
      a healing and illuminating medium." Joe's Pub continues its 5th
      anniversary celebration with this special event.

      March 11-14, 16-21. All shows 7:30pm. On sale now. General public: $37.
      Special discount for Public Theater members: $32. Tickets can be
      purchased at The Public Theater box office, or via Telecharge at
      212.239.6200 or www.telecharge.com.
      ____________________
      JACKIE HOFFMAN Live at Joe's Pub: The Kvetching Continues...
      ...and continue it will! The runaway hit is now extended through JUNE!
      See below for full info.

      *********************Joe's Pub Schedule of Events*********************
      Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
      Location: 425 Lafayette Street between East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
      For information & reservations please call 212.539.8778
      or, for Telecharge listed events call 212.239.6200.
      *******

      .

      Joe's Pub Schedule of Events

      Fri-Sat, March 5-6
      DANCENOW/NYC URBAN SPACE DANCE CABARET
      Dancenow/NYC, hailed by The New York Times as "the dance equivalent of
      the New York International Fringe Festival " returns to Joe's Pub with a
      new Urban Space cabaret series - Treats, Treasures, Little Pleasures.
      Each show is a different elixir and potent mix of cutting edge
      dancemakers and performers - all dauntless, unabashed and irresistible.
      If you caught the inaugural series in September (or if you missed it
      altogether), you will want to be sure to be first in line this time
      round. "Simply put, a Blast". -New York Sun
      This month's installment features Barry Blumenfeld/Tap Fusion, Eric
      Bradley and Jeanine Durning, Clare Byrne, Pat Catterson, Sean Curran,
      Chris Elam, Keely Garfield's Sinister Slapstick, Karinne Keithley, David
      Neuman, Jimena Paz, Romy Reading, Eryc Taylor. www.dancenownyc.org $15
      per show, 7pm

      Fri, March 5
      LúNASA
      In less than three years, Ireland's new all-star quintet Lúnasa has
      become one of the most sought-after bands on the international Irish
      music scene. The band's inventive arrangements and bass-driven grooves
      are steering Irish acoustic music into surprising new territory. Called
      an "Irish music dream team" by Folk Roots, Lúnasa met with acclaim right
      from the start. Their first album became an immediate best-seller in
      Ireland, topping Hot Press' folk charts and called one of the year's top
      ten by the Irish Echo. "Earthy,soulful and instinctive." - MOJO
      "Intricate layering of strings, rhythm and melody swapping top billing
      when the time is right, it doesn't get much better that this." -The
      Irish Times www.lunasa.ie 9:30pm, $20

      Sat, March 6
      MARLO MARRON
      9:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Sun, March 7
      AMY X NEUBURG's Avant-Cabaret CD Release / TODD REYNOLDS
      Hailed as "one of the most brilliant vocalists of the American
      avant-garde", San Francisco-based performer/composer/poet Amy X Neuburg
      creates high-technology music that is unusually intimate in nature. In
      performance she accompanies her diversely-influenced songs with
      electronic percussion and various voice processors, to build up thick
      layers of harmonies and rhythms. An established figure in the Bay Area
      new music scene, Amy has recorded and toured internationally with Robert
      Ashley's operas, performed for 10 years with her electronic band Amy X
      Neuburg & Men, and presented her solo works throughout the country,
      recently making a splashy NYC debut at Roulette and Bang on a Can. This
      Avant-Cabaret performance celebrates the release of her new CD "Residue"
      (Other Minds Records). "Neuburg is a star -- a brilliant one...
      Satirical, profound, humorous, and sexy... Experimental but always under
      total control... She deserves to be at Carnegie Hall." -Electromusic.com
      www.isproductions.com/amy
      New Music's foremost improvising violinist/composer/conductor Todd
      Reynolds, together with his battery of looping machines and
      soundshifters, performs his own loop-based music -- described as
      "playful like Milhaud, but hard-edged like Hendrix" by Strings Magazine
      -- together with an encore performance of Phil Kline's Grand Etude
      Symphonique for 28 boomboxes and ifiddle. Reynolds (co-founder of the
      string quartet Ethel) is known as a boundary-breaking, fearless
      composer-performer who "flies without a net," and has been at the
      forefront of the cutting-edge downtown NY arts scene for more than a
      decade. The creator of Nuove Uova, his new-music cabaret and Still Life
      with Microphone, a site-specific performance piece, Reynolds weaves
      together composed and improvised segments and makes use of MACG4
      technology and digital loops to create his music, incorporating
      minimalist, pop, Jazz, Indian, African, Celtic and indigenous folk
      musics into his own sonic blend. www.toddreynolds.com 7pm, $15

      Sundays, March 7, 14, 21 & 28
      DAN BERN
      Pick any term from the big bag of good adjectives - "witty,"
      "irreverent," "comical," "insightful" - and solder it together with any
      term from the big bag of good adverbs - "frighteningly," "monumentally,"
      "thrillingly," "deeply" - and you have the pretty good beginnings for an
      accurate description of the music of Dan Bern, without a doubt one of
      the most frighteningly witty, thrillingly irreverent, deeply comical,
      and monumentally insightful songwriters to strap on a guitar since rock
      music came of age and found itself thrust into its role as popular voice
      for American culture. Topical, intelligent, and unpredictable, this
      modern day musical Lenny Bruce is part Dada (purposefully subverting
      expectation), part troubadour (spitting out clever, street-smart riffs
      on life), part stand-up comedian (helping us to laugh at our own comedy
      of errors) and part punk (lyrically impudent and unfailingly authentic).
      But he is all human and his songs rarely fail to touch the heart and the
      brain with equal impact, taking the time in the interim to stop at every
      point in between. For this special series of solo Sundays shows, Bern
      goes for the jugular and does Woodie Guthrie proud, with his own take on
      true patriotism. "...the Dylan for the skateboard generation." -Gavin
      www.danbern.com 3/7 - SOLD OUT; 3/14, 21 & 28 - 9pm, $20

      JACKIE HOFFMAN Live at The Public Theater: The Kvetching Continues
      Now extended through JUNE!
      sold out dates:
      Mondays, March 8, 15 & 29, April 19 & Sunday, April 25
      newly added dates:
      Mondays, May 3, 17 & 24, June 7, 21 & 28
      Hairspray's cockeyed pessimist Jackie Hoffman brings the art of
      complaining from Broadway to Broadway/Lafayette in this ALL NEW SHOW.
      Now extended for six additional dates in May and June due to
      overwhelming demand and critical acclaim! "The tribulations of Broadway
      stardom -- well, near-stardom, anyway -- are the subject of Jackie
      Hoffman's endearingly bitter, explosively funny new solo show at Joe's
      Pub. ...Clearly, this is a world-class kvetch. Attention must be paid!"
      - Variety "With equal parts bad taste and uncanny precision, Hoffman
      skewers gay dads, matinee audiences, and breast-feeding moms. Not since
      W.C. Fields has anyone been so deliciously mean about children."
      -Village Voice "Often hysterical, sometimes shocking" -Playbill.com
      "Bitterness is oh so sweet at Joe's Pub, where the mordant pleasure that
      is Jackie Hoffman is spreading joy through anger in her one-woman
      show...she is one refreshingly talented and funny woman." -The New York
      Times
      $20, Mar 1 & 15, May 17 & 24 9:30pm / Mar 8 & 29, Apr 19 & 25, May 3,
      June 7, 21 & 28 7:30pm
      **MARCH and APRIL DATES SOLD OUT; tickets now available for May and June
      dates.

      Mon, March 8
      LISA SOKOLOV CD Release
      Lisa Sokolov, one-of-a-kind, downtown jazz diva and vocal artiste known
      for elevating standard song into sacred song and for her
      break-the-boundaries originals, celebrates the release of her new CD
      Presence, with all-stars Gerry Hemingway on drums, Cameron Brown on bass
      and John DiMartino on piano. Prepare for lift-off. "Lisa Sokolov
      stretches the envelope of jazz singing. She is courageously adventurous.
      Three stars.." (Highest Rating) -LA Times. www.lisasokolov.com 9:30pm,
      $12

      Tues, March 9
      CHERYL BENTYNE of THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER
      A member of The Manhattan Transfer since 1979, Cheryl Bentyne's
      beautiful voice, wide range, versatility and impressive stage presence
      made her into a major asset for the popular vocal group from the start.
      Bentyne sings with style, precision and emotion that breathes new life
      into jazz classics. This will be her first ever Joe's Pub performance.
      Certainly, like the title of her debut solo record, it will be the "Talk
      of the Town". 7:30 & 9:30pm, $25

      Wed, March 10
      EAST VILLAGE OPERA COMPANY
      A command return engagement! The pomposity of opera meets the majesty of
      rock...or the other way around. "La Donna," the debut album from the
      East Village Opera Company takes the classic Italian operatic and
      Neapolitan folk song repertoire and reimagines it with swirling guitars,
      rich string textures, deep grooves that range from sultry to bombastic,
      and anything else that popular music has had to offer in the last
      century. Fronted by singer Tyley Ross (last seen in NY in Broadway's
      Miss Saigon) and multi-instrumentalist Peter Kiesewalter (Music Director
      of the Downtown Messiah), this is opera like you've never seen or heard.
      "Both achingly poignant and downright hilarious". -CBC Radio.
      www.eastvillageoperacompany.com 7:30pm, $15

      Wed, March 10
      ALFREDO DE LA FE: Dancing Jazz
      Alfredo is one of the best and most renowned violin soloists in Latin
      music having played and recorded with the top names in the genre,
      including Celia Cruz (his godmother), Fania All Stars, Eddie Palmieri,
      and Tito Puente among others. Alfredo has also led his own ensembles and
      recorded 19 solo albums while living abroad. Having lived and toured all
      around the world, and collected many different stories and experiences,
      Alfredo has returned home to New York. His 20th recording, Dancing Jazz
      is a new musical turn and the synthesis of all those encounters fusing
      jazz idioms with a variety of Latin dance and Middle Eastern rhythms and
      instruments. The line-up includes Ernesto Simpson (Arturo Sandoval) on
      drums, Armando Gola (Gonzalo Rubalcaba) on bass, Pablo Vergara on piano
      & keyboards, Little Johnny Rivero (Sonora Ponceña) & Pedrito Martinez on
      congas and percussion, Jay Rodriguez (Groove Collective) on reeds and
      flute, and Osama Farouk on darbouka and Middle Eastern percussion.
      www.alfredodelafe.com 9:30pm, $15

      Thurs-Sun, March 11-14 & Tues-Sun, March 16-21
      JONATHA BROOKE Live at The Public Theater
      Acclaimed singer songwriter Jonatha Brooke returns to The Public Theater
      stage performing songs from her latest album, Back in the Circus, as
      well as re-exploring some of her earlier work. Billboard Magazine dubbed
      her "...one of the most gifted and unique artists of the decade, with
      the ability to restore your faith in song as a healing and illuminating
      medium." Joe's Pub continues its 5th anniversary celebration with this
      special event. *NOTE: This event takes place in The Public Theater's
      Anspacher Theater. 7:30pm, $37.

      Thurs, March 11
      AMOS LEE
      Highly influenced by soul, folk, and blues music, Amos Lee directs his
      music with a spirit and presence rooted in American tradition. Taking
      inspiration from soul greats Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway, and folk
      legends, John Prine and Dave Van Ronk, Amos delivers a unique breed of
      folky soul music that aims to unite, uplift,and inspire. Freshly
      transplanted from South Carolina, Amos is now based in Philadelphia
      where he is working on his second CD and gigging steadily in the Philly,
      NY, NJ area. 9:30pm, $10 cash at door

      Fri, March 12
      ANN DYER: When I Close My Eyes CD Release
      Ecletic and compelling, vocalist/composer Ann Dyer appears at Joe's Pub
      in celebration of her new release on Sunnyside Records, When I Close My
      Eyes - her most intimate work to date. Following the critical acclaim of
      her previous release, Revolver: A New Spin - which made the Village
      Voice's "Top Ten Recordings of 2000" - When I Close My Eyes is garnering
      rave reviews including Down Beat magazine awarding it 4-1/2 stars. Dyer
      will be performing music from the new release, laying bare the beauty of
      the voice and the poetry of the lyric by singing in the spare
      accompaniment of bass and drums. She will be making her first New York
      appearance in over three years with her Bay Area-based rhythm section,
      John Shifflett on bass and Jason Lewis on drums. "Sensual imagery of
      mermaids, fountains of blood, and honey licked from the knife...a level
      of poetry that transcend[s] any specific cultural tie." -Jazziz
      www.anndyer.com 7:30pm, $15

      Fri, March 12
      JOHNNY A.
      For Johnny A., the guitar has been a lifelong fascination. Those six
      strings exert a powerful hold over the man, inspiring moments of
      ecstatic improvisation, imparting deep contemplation and, occasionally,
      moments of aching frustration. It's a stormy affair coupled with a
      tempestuous hollow-body lover, but the rewards have been great. Wresting
      colors and emotions from those six strings, Johnny A. is as much a
      master as he is the eternal student - with a formidable talent, but a
      desire to learn that is just as strong. Tonight, he celebrates the
      release of his latest Favored Nations disc, Get Inside, in which the
      guitar once again leads the way on a dozen instrumentals that span a
      gulf of style from cool a go-go to finger-lickin' guitar pickin' to
      laying pure rock n' roll rubber. This is music for an open mind aching
      for the open road. www.johnnya.com 9:30pm, $15

      Sat, March 13
      SUSAN WERNER
      Susan Werner is one on the most riveting performers on the acoustic
      circuit, a gifted songwriter with roots in jazz, classical, country and
      popular song. With a luminescent voice and remarkable talent as a
      guitarist and pianist, Werner has won widespread praise for her unique
      combination of musical diversity, emotional depth and vocal excellence.
      "The catchy, top-notch songcraft and would-be opera singer's gorgeous,
      dynamic vocals.should solidify her reputation as one of the premier
      artists in her genre" -Boston Phoenix www.susanwerner.com 7:30 & 9:30pm,
      $20

      Sunday, March 14
      ESZTER BALINT: Mud CD Release
      Eszter Balint's new album Mud (Bar/None) the follow-up to her critically
      acclaimed debut Flicker, "throbs with a kind of languorous tension that
      makes it shabbily elegant and rustically beautiful," says critic Thom
      Jurek. Produced by JD Foster, Mud falls partway between city and
      country, with Eszter's cool-as-concrete vocals in striking contrast to
      an austere roots-rock sound redolent of dank swamps and remote juke
      joints. Its artful and mysterious and it draws you in like a whispered
      conversation from across a dimly lit bar. Call it Americana-gone-bad.
      Eszter has been described by The New Yorker as "a warm and expressive
      singer" and The New York Times called her songs "funny, weird and wise."
      www.eszterbalint.com 7pm, $15

      Sundays, March 14, 21 & 28
      DAN BERN
      9pm, $20
      *see 3/7 for further info.

      Mon, March 15
      An Intimate Evening of Song: AIMEE STEELE and ROBERT MANNIS sing the
      music of Todd Almond, Eli Bolin, Lance Horne, Gabriel Kahane, Georgia
      Stitt & Benjamin Toth
      Composers Todd Almond ("People Like Us") with lyrics by Gus Kaikkonen,
      Eli Bolin ("I Sing") with lyrics by Sam Forman, Lance Horn ("Pictures of
      Dorian Gray") with lyrics by Kate Rigg, Gabriel Kahane ("Straight Man").
      Lyrics by Thomas Beatty, Georgia Stitt ("The Water") with lyrics by Jeff
      Hylton, and Benjamin Toth with lyrics by Steven Sater present an evening
      of new music sung by two extraordinary singers, Aimee Steele and Robert
      Mannis. This eclectic mix of composers will bring a night of jazz, pop,
      rock and innovative musical theater to Joe's Pub. 7pm, $15

      Tues, March 16
      VIENNA TENG / STEPHEN CLAIR
      With her graceful melodies and evocative lyrics, Vienna -- "a love child
      of Chopin and Sarah McLachlan" (San Jose Mercury News) -- has garnered
      critical acclaim and a rapidly growing legion of fans throughout the
      world. Her first album, "Waking Hour", took Vienna from anonymity to
      fame in a few short months, and her newest release "Warm Strangers"
      produced by David Henry (R.E.M., Cowboy Junkies, Josh Rouse) and mixed
      by Roger Moutenot (Roseanne Cash, Guster, Joseph Arthur) promises to
      take her to the next level. "Sharp and poetic...smart and layered
      songcraft." -Washington Post www.viennateng.com
      Alt-country troubadour Stephen Clair settled in New York after stints in
      towns ranging from northern California to southern France. He has proven
      that NYC is where he belongs given that his ramshackle style and laconic
      vocals recall such aloof Gotham rockers as Lou Reed and Television's Tom
      Verlaine. Clair's second LP "Little Radio" is loaded with chugging
      rhythms and sputtering guitar, and is packaged with both incidental
      abrasion and delicately woven beauty. And though Clair's nasal voice and
      simple melodies are designed to appeal to an audience of smart,
      graying-at-the-temples punkers, his lyrics are witty and direct enough
      for anyone. "One of the Top 50 albums of 2003" -WFUV's Listener Poll
      www.stephenclair.com 7pm, $12

      Tues, March 16
      APHONIC
      Combining edgy cinematic rock with both modern and classic arrangements,
      Aphonic's sound has garnered them comparisons to Pink Floyd, Radiohead
      and U2. These classically trained musicians have developed an expansive
      musical style, using vintage equipment to merge the rock-heavy influence
      of Detroit with the delicacy of classical music. Their self-released
      album Airport Bars combines insightful lyrics with ethereal and
      psychedelic textures into beautifully seamless songs. www.aphonic.com
      9:30 pm, $10

      Wed, March 17
      DAVID BYRNE feat. the TOSCA STRINGS
      7:30 & 9:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Thurs, March 18
      OPENING ACT BENEFIT
      Opening Act hosts a benefit and celebrates its fourth year of bringing
      theater to New York City's public high schools. Opening Act is a unique
      nonprofit that brings long-term, quality theater programs to NYC schools
      that wouldn't otherwise have the support to create their own. Its
      after school programs in five of NYC's neediest schools give students
      the opportunity to explore their creativity through improvisation,
      acting and playwriting - and lets students shine in productions that
      they write and perform themselves. This year's benefit celebrates
      Opening Act's work by presenting professional actors and comedians for
      an evening of comedy improvisation. Proceeds of the event go directly to
      support the programs in Automotive, Canarsie, Clara Barton, Grady and
      Walton High Schools. For more information and to buy tickets visit
      www.OpeningActNewYork.org or call Julia at 646-732-9616. 7pm

      Thurs, March 18
      RENE RISQUE & THE ART LOVERS
      Sexy and outrageous rock & roll cabaret driven home by a misguided
      "international pop star, lover" whose provocative lyrics flaunt his
      lifestyle of extremes and boast of his luxuriously degenerate exploits.
      Time Mag: "America's Best Lounge Act." NY Times: "High-Gloss Glam." NY
      Observer: "Hedwig if Hedwig had about eight more angry inches."
      TrendCentral.com: "Pure, Personal Drama." Nerve: "The last of the famous
      international playboys." Flaunt Mag: "Like a modern day siren, he will
      lead you down to your destruction." Liz Smith: "And I thought the spirit
      of Truman Capote and Tallulah Bankhead was lost to us." NY Press: "Rene
      Risque and the Art Lovers is a really great band." www.renerisque.com
      9:30pm, $15

      Fri, March 19
      JONAH SMITH
      Jonah Smith is a critically acclaimed New York songwriter with a
      powerhouse voice reminiscent of a young Steve Winwood. He has been
      touring America and Europe for the past three years with his band in
      support of his two independent releases "Industry Rule" (2001) and
      "Beneath the Underdog" (2003). With an equal love of the storytelling of
      songwriters such as Donny Hathaway and Otis Redding, Smith bridges the
      gap between these two worlds as a writer and performer. "Smith plays a
      righteous Rhodes electric piano and gets some sweet, soulful backing
      from his band" (Time Out NY). His group consists of Ben Rubin - bass;
      Marko Djordjevic - drums; and Bob Reynolds - sax. His New York
      performances often bring out guest appearances by local luminaries.
      www.jonahsmith.com 7:30pm, $10 cash at door

      Fri, March 19
      MARIANA SADOVSKA with special guests Kwartet Jorgi, Anthony Coleman &
      Doug Wieselman
      "Enchantment Songs", Mariana Sadovska's lastest release, is an
      extraordinary journey through the musical world of Ancient Ukraine,
      which showcases her ability to cast a spell using her range of
      incantations, chants , laments and ballads. The Ukrainian born singer,
      actress and musician spent more than 10 years traveling through the
      villages of her home country collecting archaic folk songs and rituals.
      This is not the state-sanctioned face of rural Ukraine, but the
      long-buried (and quickly disappearing) heritage of an incredibly complex
      culture enhanced by Sadovska's fresh and uniquely personal vision.
      "Sometimes a musician has such an inborn desire to cummunicate that her
      message naturally becomes universal: it doesn't matter whether she is
      singing soul or bel canto or folk. Such was the case with the Ukrainian
      signer Mariana Sadovska." -Ben Ratliff, New York Times 9:30pm, $12

      Sat, March 20
      RAUL MIDON
      The buzz is growing into a roar for multi-instrumentalist Raul Midon, "a
      Must See Performer!" (Miami Herald) who straddles soul, pop & jazz, with
      a hair-raising voice and dazzling guitar technique that blows minds
      everywhere he performs. Recent shared bills include dates with artists
      as diverse as Bebel Gilberto, Jeff Beck, Cesaria Evora, Donnie, Kaki
      King, Willy Porter and Sam Moore (of Sam and Dave) at venues ranging
      from The Kennedy Center to the Beacon Theater to BAM, and Raul has
      recently been appearing as a guest vocalist with Motown legends The Funk
      Brothers. Midon has performed with artists varying from Shakira to Chaka
      Khan, sang background vocals on 60 records and most recently, has been
      featured on DJ/Producer Louie Vega's record Elements of Life. "Raul
      Midon performs original soul music for voice and guitar, but he's far
      from being your typical singer/songwriter. He's a one-man orchestra who
      combines a rhythmically charged, jazz-influenced guitar style with
      soaring vocals that remind us of classic R&B soulslingers like Donny
      Hathaway. With his trademark vocally produced "trumpet" solos and other
      sophisticated tricks, Raul Midon delivers an engaging and thoroughly
      moving performance - all by himself." -www.Flavorpill.net www.midon.com
      7pm, $12

      Sat, March 20
      ERIC PERSON & META-FOUR feat. GORDON CHAMBERS
      Eric Person calls his group Meta-Four and in many ways it is the perfect
      moniker for a band that transcends the established boundaries of jazz.
      Critics and fans alike have taken note of saxophonist Eric Person,
      pianist John Esposito, bassist Kenny Davis and drummer Peter O'Brien's
      band interplay. For this special performance at Joe's Pub they welcome
      vocalist Gordon Chambers who has written and produced songs for Anita
      Baker, Whitney Houston and others, but his first love is singing jazz.
      Person has worked with many great musicians in jazz such as: McCoy
      Tyner, Dave Holland and Chico Hamilton. Meta-Four dispenses with
      definitions and turns its attention to making music of lasting quality.
      www.ericperson.com 9:30pm, $15

      Sun, March 21
      JOE'S PUG: A Benefit for Pug Rescue in Honor of Katie Gustern
      feat. DIAMANDA GALAS, HEATHER GREENE, DEBORAH HARRY, NEW YORK BLUES
      DEVILS, LUCIA PULIDO, TAMMY FAYE STARLITE, ROSEANNA VITRO, SANDA WEIGL
      and more
      A benefit for the Pug Rescue Foundation in memory of Katie Gustern,
      featuring the students of vocal coach Barbara Maier (Gustern), including
      Joe's Pub favorites Diamanda Galas, Heather Greene, Deborah Harry, New
      York Blues Devils, Lucia Pulido, Tammy Faye Starlite, Roseanna Vitro,
      Sanda Weigl and other surprises. The Pug Rescure Society is dedicated to
      furnishing medical care an adoption or foster homes for all pugs.
      6:30pm, $30

      Sundays, March 21 & 28
      DAN BERN
      9pm, $20
      *see 3/7 for further info.

      Mon, March 22
      IMANI UZURI: Her Holy Water: A Black Girl's Rock Opera
      Imani Uzuri's Her Holy Water: A Black Girl's Opera is an emotionally
      provocative rock opera that wildly traverses and transcends boundaries.
      Told through drum n' bass arias, transformational ballads and soulful
      electronica, interspersed with vignettes, this unique concert experience
      work-in-progress -- featuring a full ambient band with a string quintet
      -- explores the journey from isolation into meditative stillness that
      leads to the exuberant triumph of uninhibited expression. Lyrical and
      often comedic, Her Holy Water: A Black Girl's Opera is a celebration
      that confirms even the minutia of a Black Girl's Life is epic. "[Uzuri]
      never fails to mesmerize audiences with her narcotic blend of...ethereal
      sounds." -Time Out NY 7pm, $15

      Mon, March 22
      THE BREITHAUPT BROTHERS w/ special guests James Naughton, Greg Naughton,
      Maggie Moore, Rebecca Martin, Kate McGarry, Jesse Tyler Ferguson,
      Shelley McPherson, Rikki Rumball and BETTY
      Into a world hungry for the musical and lyrical sophistication of the
      Great American Songbook (the huge collection of standards written
      primarily in the 1930s and '40s), comes the Breithaupt Brothers, whose
      songwriting is inspired, informed, and infused by that great era. The
      brothers -- Don (music) and Jeff (lyrics) -- are unabashed about their
      debt to the era and the George/Ira paradigm implicit in their sibling
      partnership. Befitting such an ambitious point of departure, the
      Breithaupts (pronounced "Bright-up") work from a starting point that
      assumes a high level of harmonic and melodic sophistication and words
      that run the gamut of love and romance, from giddy inception to dark
      aftermath. Although the resulting songs hark back to a bygone era of
      craftsmanship, they are full-blooded, contemporary, relevant, and new.
      Reprising their sold-out Joe's Pub debut, the songwriters will be joined
      by a wonderful jazz quintet of New York musicians and an all-star guest
      list of singing and theater talent that includes Rebecca Martin
      (MAXJazz), Kate McGarry (Palmetto Records), Maggie Moore (Hedwig and the
      Angry Inch/The Chanteuse Club), Jesse Tyler Ferguson (On The Town),
      singer-songwriter Greg Naughton, vocalist/actor Shelley McPherson,
      vocalist Rikki Rumball, and theater legend James Naugton! They don't
      write 'em like that anymore? Join us for an evening of song that proves
      that adage wrong. 9:30pm, $20

      Tues, March 23
      THE AMAZING RUSSELLO MAGIC HOUR
      Classic magical presentations in Russello's inimitable style! The
      Amazing Russello! Prestidigitator par excellance! A show of magic like
      none you've seen before! All of artistic and fashionable New York will
      want to go admire Russello's charming performance, and to see these
      experiments, which surpass anything seen before of this type! We cannot
      exhort lovers of the fantastic enough to attend this show which will be
      highly exciting! www.amazingrussello.com 7:30pm, $15

      Tues, March 23
      CARMEN CONSOLI
      Italian iconclast singer-songwriter Carmen Consoli makes her New York
      debut. Carmen represents a new evolution in popular Italian music as the
      first female artist to mix the craft of the singer-songwriter with
      indie-rock influences, bossa nova rhythms, and jazz and blues-inspired
      riffs. Her songs are populated with pithy characters who pose
      existential questions about relationships, life-threatening illness,
      solitude and passion. Often called Italy's Ani DiFranco because of the
      ferocity of her performances, Carmen will perform a searingly intimate
      acoustic set accompanied by guitar and mandolin. A platinum-selling
      artist, Carmen has been honored as Best Female Artist at the Italian
      Music Awards for two years running in 2002 and 2003, and won the MTV
      Italy Best Video award in 2001. www.carmenconsoli.it 9:30pm, $15

      Wed, March 24
      CARINA ROUND
      Strange and invigorating...sexual and intimidating, Carina Round is a
      striking talent with a rich soulful voice...traffic stopping vocal
      magnetism, eloquently poetic songcraft and simply a firecracker to see
      live. You'll find yourself unknowingly drawn into Carina's world as she
      is far from conventional and all the more affecting for it. Intimate,
      raw, uncompromising, Carina Round and her music are simply spellbinding.
      She is so special it hardly matters who has influenced her music. Her
      sensuous and esoteric lyrics and expressive, passionate vocals transcend
      almost anything you will hear from a singer/songwriter this year. A true
      new talent to look out for years to come. 7:30pm, $10 cash at door

      Wed, March 24
      THE CHANTEUSE CLUB: Maggie Moore, Kate Pierson, and a Surprise Special
      Guest
      Following their acclaimed New York shows at joe's pub in 2003 and their
      recent sold-out performance in 2004, The Chanteuse Club returns with an
      acoustic evening of solo performances. Ringleader Maggie Moore, of the
      hit Off-Broadway musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch, is joined by Kate
      Pierson of the world famous pop group the B-52's, and a surprise special
      guest to create a rare, intimate acoustic evening of music separately
      and together, accompanied by Rob Arthur on piano. Join the Chanteuses
      for what promises to be an unforgettable evening of songs performed by
      very different artists, who each take their turn bringing you some of
      their favorite covers and originals. 9:30pm, $20

      Thurs, March 25
      BETHANY YARROW
      Bethany Yarrow has taken traditional American folk songs and mixed them
      with soul and trip-hop beats, turning them into grooving, hipster,
      electronic concoctions called "deep folk music". With a voice like Grace
      Slick, an ace band, and trippy video projections behind her, it doesn't
      look or sound like any kind of folk music you've heard before.
      www.bethanyyarrow.com 7pm, $10 cash at door

      Thurs, March 25
      CHOCOLATE GENIUS
      Marc Anthony Thompson has scored several films, released four solo
      albums, and collaborated with several different artists including Marc
      Ribot, Meshell N'degeocello, Stuart Mathewman, Cibo Matto, Medeski
      Martin & Wood, the Roots and Philip Glass. He has brilliantly recorded
      the songs of a wide range of artists and eras - from Marvin Gaye's
      "Ain't That Peculiar" (from Oscar-nominated film American Splendor), the
      Beatles' "Julia" (I Am Sam), Harold Arlen's "Stormy Weather" (The Harold
      Arlen Story) to Ray Davies' "Days" (for the CBS hit show Crossing
      Jordan). 9:30pm, $15 cash at door

      Fri, March 26
      HOWARD FISHMAN: We Are Destroyed
      Inspired by the story of the ill-fated Donner Party, We Are Destroyed is
      a music theater work-in-progress by pub favorite Howard Fishman. The
      project incorporates original music and text with a live band, actors
      and multimedia elements to examine themes of hope, loss, love, idealism,
      tragedy and redemption. Be sure to get your tickets early -- the piece
      has been presented twice at Joe's Pub and sold out quickly. "Ambitious,
      disturbing, apocolyptic, compelling." -All About Jazz
      www.howardfishman.com 7pm, $20

      Fri, March 26
      THE SILENT LEAGUE: File 13 CD Release
      The Brooklyn-based orchestral pop band The Silent League originated as
      the solo identity of singer Justin Russo in the late nineties. While a
      keyboardist with Mercury Rev in support of the critically acclaimed
      albums Deserter's Songs and All Is Dream, Russo secretly stole each
      available moment in a busy tour schedule to write and record his own
      fragile, epic and highly personal statement: The Orchestra, Sadly, Has
      Refused. Their forthcoming debut record, due out on March 23 on File 13
      Records -- hailed as "a masterful blend of sepia-toned chamber pop and
      sunny-sinister piano balladry" (Bang Magazine), "mesmerizing" and
      "majestic" by Time Out NY -- features performances from, among others,
      Sam Fogarino (Interpol) and Sean "Grasshopper" Mackowiack (Mercury Rev).
      Live, The Silent League is a large ensemble that skillfully melds a
      70's-era piano balladry and sense of childlike vulnerability, with the
      heavily arranged and darker elements of Russo's former band.
      www.silentleague.com 9:30pm, $12

      Sat, March 27
      ELLIS PAUL
      Second only to Aerosmith in the amount of Boston Music Awards received
      (12), Ellis Paul has been skyrocketing into the public eye, and for good
      reason. Infused with hardball honesty and telling details, his songs
      merge big ideas with incidental moments, creating passionate yet
      literate character sketches that strike at the heart of the human
      condition. "Ellis Paul is a master storyteller. He combines the
      sensibilities of Bob Dylan, Bill Morrissey and John Gorka and delivers
      it with a passion that sets him apart in the company of a new breed of
      songwriters." -Performing Songwriter www.ellispaul.com 7pm, $15

      Sat, March 27
      VICTORIA HANNA
      Defying definition, the inspired work of Jerusalem-based vocal artist
      Victoria Hanna depicts her ongoing experimentation with the vocal and
      conceptual boundaries of language. In this rare New York appearance,
      Hanna reveals her astonishing vocal range and timbre while
      deconstructing the Hebrew alphabet as an elemental code, exploring its
      mystical nature and relation to modern modes of communication. She will
      be joined by Tamir Muskat on drums and electronics, Itamar Ziegler on
      bass and guitar, and Yuval Ziglar on laptop and moog. "Victoria Hanna is
      something else...she held the room rapt with her acrobatic voice at
      turns lovely, haunting and frightening..." -Time Out NY 9:30pm, $12

      Sun, March 28
      PIERCE TURNER
      Alone with nothing but a guitar, a headset, a rack of synths and his
      acrobatic dancing shoes, Pierce Turner can raze a concert hall to rubble
      in a finger-click. This Celtic Soul artist whose previous albums have
      been produced by such greats as Philip Glass and John Simon returns to
      Joe's Pub with a hot string quartet ready to impress. His last show sold
      out quickly, so don't delay. "Clambering across the tables, little
      shimmies and clattering a smashing ashtray to the ground to screams of
      adoration, Turner breaks down the barrier between audience and performer
      and really gives himself in a way that makes him naked". -The Irish
      Times www.pierceturner.com 6:30pm, $15

      Sundays, March 28
      DAN BERN
      9pm, $20
      *see 3/7 for further info.

      Tues, March 30
      THE COLBY PRIOR BAND
      17-year-old singer songwriter Colby Prior has been writing poetry since
      she was 11. At age 13 she wrote her first song on guitar, and she's
      never looked back. In the past two years, Colby's made a name for
      herself as a studio singer in NYC, performed regularly at The Bitter End
      and recently, to sold out crowds at Joe's Pub and Acme Underground and
      rocked the house New Year's Eve opening for Gavin Degraw at Irving
      Plaza. The Colby Prior Band is comprised of Colby and five innovative
      musicians - Dan Carlisle on bass, Rob Morelli on drums, Michael Gonzalez
      on keyboards, Keith Matthew and Jon Levine on guitar. Rick Carnes (Hit
      Songwriter and President of The Songwriters Guild) says of Colby, "She's
      renewed my faith in rock and roll." Ann Ruckert (former governor/trustee
      of NARAS) says, "I haven't been this excited about anyone since I heard
      Whitney Houston as a child. This girl is going to be huge".
      www.colbyprior.com 7:30pm, $12

      Tues, March 30
      STEPHANIE McKAY with special guest DJ Scribe: Sista Factory Proudly
      Celebrates Their Fifth Year Anniversary
      A Benefit Concert for Bronx Charter School for the Arts
      Bronx native Stephanie McKay's debut album "MCKAY" has been hailed by
      international press as "one of the freshest most impressive debut albums
      of 2003." Inspired by the soul vocalists of the sixties and seventies
      Stephanie McKay has a classic voice steeped in the same fire as Ann
      Peebles, Lyn Collins and Roberta Flack. Her music takes us from Bronx to
      Bristol, England (it was produced by Portishead's Geoff Barrow); a
      direct, heart-wrenching cross-Atlantic mix of her own brand of modern
      rhythm and soul. "Soul album of the year". -Sunday Times (London)
      Bronx Charter School for the Arts is a non-profit public elementary
      school located in the South Bronx, founded on the principle that arts
      education is a catalyst for the academic and social success of all
      students. The school serves as a model that encourages reform and
      innovation in the broader public school system. All proceeds will be
      donated to the school to support arts-in-education. www.BronxArts.net |
      www.stephaniemckay.com | www.sistafactory.com 9:30pm, $12 advance/$15 at
      door

      Wed, March 31
      THEA GILMORE
      Thea Gilmore is one of England's finest singer-songwriters, and one of
      the most prolific. Staunchly independent, as she wanted to be herself
      rather than "a Barbie Doll", she has the freedom to release records at
      her own rate. At just 23, Thea Gilmore has completed her fifth
      independent album 'Avalanche'. She has been described by 'Uncut' as "The
      best British singer-songwriter of the last 10 years" and by USA Today as
      "One of the most promising and provocative singer/songwriters to emerge
      from England in years, Gilmore detangles sex, religion and politics with
      a literate eloquence and defiance that recall the early poetic eruptions
      of Bob Dylan". 7:30pm, $15 cash at door

      Wed, March 31
      HAALE
      Weaving Persian melodies and Sufi lyrics through a soundscape of tribal
      beats, sci-fi sonic guitars, and a twanging setar, NY-born vocalist
      Haale creates a quintessentially hybrid sound that reflects both her
      Persian and urban American roots. Alternating between strumming her
      setar and plucking her guitar, between singing in Persian and in
      English, Haale draws audiences into the ecstatic and electric space
      where these two worlds coexist. "This genre-bending seamstress will make
      you see stars while ascending to her own" exclaims Global Rhythm
      Magazine, who named Haale "Best Unsigned Artist of the Year, 2003."
      "Haale..underscores the evolution and transformation of centuries-old
      art forms as they adapt to the new realities of a multiethnic city..."
      -New York Times www.haale.com 9:30pm, $15

      Thurs, April 1
      RICHARD SHINDELL
      An expatriate New Yorker now living in Argentina, Richard Shindell is a
      meticulous craftsman of song whose four studio albums and recent live
      recording have been revered by critics and fans alike. Innovative,
      original and occasionally spiritual, from his first record, Sparrow's
      Point (1992) to the live album Courier (2002), Shindell has demonstrated
      a penchant for songwriting at once passionate and profound. His songs
      are often slowly and painstakingly crafted until honed to perfection,
      while he is also capable of writing tunes that are simply clever and
      amusing. Shindell's songwriting is truly eclectic, ranging from
      lighthearted ballads and adulterous love songs, to dirges and diatribes
      that skillfully skewer politics, prejudice, war and religion. He has a
      unique ability to morph into the soul of the many and varied
      personalities he casts as narrators in certain songs -- songs that are
      veritable novellas framed in haunting acoustic melodies. Richard
      Shindell is "America's best singer/songwriter" according to The Los
      Angeles Daily News. "Let his extraordinary songs do the talking," they
      urge; "this is the voice of a master." www.richardshindell.com 7 &
      9:30pm, $20

      Fri, April 2
      STARS
      Stars are soft-spoken revolutionaries and music is their rallying cry.
      Their music has been described as "breathtakingly effervescent" and they
      have been called the kind of band that "blue lights and fog machines are
      made for". They make music that musicians love with a fan list that
      includes Momus, The Divine Comedy, Sainte Etienne, K-OS and Alan
      Moulder. Stars debut LP Nightsongs became an instant pop classic and was
      called "one of the most thoroughly listenable albums in pop music
      history." Their second release, The Comeback, was the beginning of the
      band's departure from pastiche and movement towards a unique musical
      vision. With their newest release, Heart, Stars have taken us from a
      lonely roof-top to the steamy bedrooms of the world's sexiest cities and
      the result is an unmistakable work of art. 7:30 & 9:30pm, $15

      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/ct?id=25+0+24+1+9675> Click here to
      purchase tickets now!
      Coming up:
      Stew - 4/3
      Andrew Cyrille's Haitian Fascination feat. Alix "Tite" Pascal, Frisner
      Augustin & Lisle Atkinson - 4/3
      Polygraph Lounge - 4/4
      The Petersons - 4/5
      Bonga - 4/5
      Akiko Yano w/ Anthony Jackson & Kahlil Kwame Bell - 4/6-7
      Lokua Kanza - 4/6
      Chris Combette - 4/7
      Van Hunt - 4/8
      N'Dea Davenport - 4/8
      Mike Errico - 4/9
      Luciana Souza: Celebrating Neruda - 4/9, 16, 23 & 30
      Shujaat Khan and Karsh Kale - 4/10-11
      Tom Russell - 4/13
      Ruthie Foster and Guy Davis: Sista Factory Proudly Celebrates Their
      Fifth Year Anniversary - 4/13
      Charlotte Martin - 4/14
      Slaid Cleaves - 4/14
      Omar Sosa Quartet - 4/15
      Amy Rigby / Lori McKenna - 4/16
      Ian Shaw - 4/17
      Kelli Sae with special guest DJ Pete Miser: Sista Factory Proudly
      Celebrates Their Fifth Year Anniversary - 4/20
      Lucy Kaplansky - 4/21-23
      Gina Leishman and Friends: Songs for Shakespeare's Birthday feat. Greg
      Cohen, Kenny Wollesen and Doug Wieselman
      with special guests Marc Ribot, Steven Bernstein, Jenny Scheinman and
      more - 4/21
      Matt Haimovitz and The Miró Quartet - 4/28
      Carl Hancock Rux: Apothecary Rx CD Release - 4/28
      Alexi Murdoch - 4/29-30
      Billy Porter: At the Corner of Broadway and Soul - 5/2, 9, 10 & 17
      Teitur - 5/3
      Juana Molina - 5/4
      Chris Smither - 5/6
      the subdudes - 5/7-9
      Lloyd Cole - 5/10-11
      Jamie Cullum - 5/12
      Dirty Dozen Brass Band: Funeral For A Friend CD Release - 5/13
      Garland Jeffreys and Friends: A Benefit for the McBurney Y - 5/15
      Garland Jeffreys: 2 Guitars, Bass & Drums - 5/15
      Janis Ian - 5/20
      Phil Roy - 5/22
      Steve Forbert and Stacey Earle - 5/24-25
      Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker
      Starring Julie Wilson, Mark Murphy, Spider Saloff, Spencer Day, James
      Gavin and more - 6/6
      Holly Cole - 6/12
      Valencia, presented by Kevin Powell, Vibe and Sista Factory - 6/15
      Harmonia - 6/17
      Paulette McWilliams & Vincent Herring - 6/18
      Chester Gregory - 6/21
      The Strawbs - Electric - 7/9
      Rebecca Martin: People Behave Like Ballads CD Release - 8/31
      Rafael de Utrera - 9/14-15
      Suede - 9/17
      Fairport Convention - 10/8

      <http://www.patrontechnology.com/contact.cfm?org=joes>

      late night @ joe's pub...
      Doors at 11pm

      Thursdays...THE G SPOT
      KD Wilson and Derrick Correly present a retreat from the ordinary club
      scene, a place where the sexy, successful and mature come to meet and
      mingle. The best mix of music by DJ's Playtime and June.

      Fridays...GUMBO
      This weekly Friday night is dedicated to the mix of the greatest in
      hip-hop, rock, and 80's being provided by DJ REACH from The Carson Daily
      Show combined with a very chic, downtown trendy crowd. The Gumbo party
      is known for its beautiful array of women and eclectic mix of New York's
      young celebrities. Six months after it's inception this Friday has
      become a staple in New York City nightlife and has found a new home at
      Joe's Pub . Door Done Well by Sam Sneed.

      Saturdays...Decadence
      Brian Gefter and Michael Romer of Gaslight Entertainment host Decadence
      with a DJ Kasper spinning to a packed house. To book your party at
      Decadence call 212-539-8778.

      Sundays...Sunday Night Classics
      Evil Dee Presents...The Demolition Team
      A whole host of phenomenal DJ's are part of this team of the best in hip
      hop. DJ's Butta L, Lord Sear, Mr. Walt and the man himself hit the decks
      spinning everything enjoyable. Come early don't miss the fried chicken.

      Special Event Mondays...3/8
      Marxmen Cinema, Medina Green and Scratch (formerly of the Roots)
      Marxmen Cinema is a new emerging hip-hop and rock fusion band with a
      surprising twist. Medina Green, featuring DCQ (Mos Def's brother) joins
      the lineup, back on stage after a hiatus, Scratch, formerly of the
      Roots, will be on hand to delight and amaze with his human beatbox
      talent. 11pm, $10 cash at door

      Tuesday...ER (Eclectic Ride)
      KYA Entertainment presents The Eclectic Ride- hosted by BELINDA BECKER
      and FORREST. A night of great music from NYC's best DJs (ie DJ Cosi,
      Belinda, DJ Herbert, and DJ Reborn) and soul samples from the world's
      most eclectic mix of artists (ie Bilal, Meshell N'Degeocello, Alia
      Marie, Dead Prez, Lady Alma, Goapele, Martin Luther, Wunmi, Anthony
      Hamilton, and more). Come experience another level of partying. For more
      information or reduced list email kya@.... $10 at door.

      Wednesday...3/10...Nublu. $10 at door.

      To forward this e-mail to a friend or colleague, use
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/raf?ide=AR0Zeuu9yPymNAN-cg> this
      link.
      If you would like to be removed, use
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/uss?ide=AR0Zeuu9yPymNAN-cg> this
      link.
      To change your e-mail address or update preferences, use
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/setup?oid=153&xyz=AcyhS3kH46ZQATHvnQ>
      this link.
      <http://joespub.pmail.biz/pmailweb/Impression?eide=AR0Zeuu9yPymNAN-cg>

      Dear Benefit Committee Member:

      Thank you very much for being a part of the 2004 Benefit Committee for
      the Wally Cardona Quartet! You will receive benefit invitations via
      regular mail within the next two weeks. Until then, I write with a few
      details about the event.

      WHEN: Saturday, March 20th, 2004 at 8pm
      WHAT: World premiere of HIM, THERE, THEM.
      WHERE: The Duke on 42nd Street - 229 West 42nd St. (btwn 7th and 8th
      Ave)
      RECEPTION: At Xth Ave Lounge, immediately following the performance

      Meet the Artists

      Light food & drink

      Benefit Raffle
      - Beautiful handcrafted bag by designer Leslie Hsu
      - VIP tickets to the Daily Show with Jon Stewart
      - A gift basket of AVEENO skincare products
      - Tickets to a professional sporting event in the greater NYC
      metropolitan area

      This year's tickets come in three prices. We ask each Benefit Committee
      member to sell four $65 tickets to the event though there is no limit to
      the number of tickets you can sell!
      - $65 ticket includes March 20th performance and benefit reception.
      - $100 ticket includes March 20th performance; benefit reception; and 10
      raffle tickets ($50 value).
      - $125 ticket includes March 20th performance; benefit reception; and 20
      raffle tickets ($100 value).
      It would be a great help to us if you could pay for your 4 ticket
      commitment by March 5. Tickets may be bought by mail or online.
      For tickets by mail, you can make checks payable to WCV, INC. and send
      to:
      140 SECOND AVENUE, SUITE 501, NY NY 10003.
      You can purchase tickets online at WWW.WCVISMORPHING.ORG, where you will
      find a link to PayPal.

      If you have any questions at all or need more information, please feel
      free to contact Sarah Galender at 212-375-8283 or
      benefit2004@... <mailto:benefit2004@...> .

      Thank you again for your support! We look forward to seeing you on
      March 20!
      All the best,
      Alissa Hsu Lynch,
      President, Board of Directors

      2004 Benefit Committee: Tania Balderrama, Bill Bragin and Lisa Philp,
      Christina D. Burnett* and Graham Burnett, Penelope Dannenberg,
      Jacqueline Z. Davis, Joan Finkelstein, Greg Fuchs, Olga Garay, Damon
      Hemmerdinger & Jacquie Glassenberg, Marsie Janaushek, Natasha Kaiser*
      and Matthew Kaiser, Christopher Klatell, Christine Looney, Hugh and
      Alissa Hsu Lynch*, Kate Mattingly, Joseph V. Melillo, Renata Petroni,
      Peter J. Pih, Danielle Schellscheidt, Laurie Uprichard, and Joan Voltz*
      and Terry Voltz. (as of 2/9/04)
      *Board Member

      Xth Ave Lounge (on 10th Ave b/w 45th & 46th) for the post-performance
      reception - wine, beer & food are included in the benefit ticket price.
      This is only a few blocks from the Duke Theater, so people should be
      able to walk there.
      Message 68 of 68 , Nov 4, 2004
            "I will sing to those who will listen.  It is important to talk to the convinced.  I am often asked if when Sweet Honey sings, "Aren't you singing to yourself?"  The progressive community of this country is one of the most fragile in the world.  We suffer from illusions of being in greater shape than we are because we think it follows that if we are Americans, we must be great!  We are in great need of understanding our vulnerability, our need for validation, maintenance, nurturing and celebration.  We need to learn how to be longtimers and not forever be limited by operating ahistorically and responding to crisis after crisis..."
            "...It is important to gather together to nurture and feed as a community committed to being a presence in a society beyond our own meager lives.  When moving in new territories as an organizer I use the model I learned in the Black church and as a field secretary for SNCC.  First, there is a home base; there is a place that you can go back to for shelter, rest, and re-orientation.  It is from there that you move into the world offering your message and work sometimes to people who will throw rocks at you, throw you in jail, or slam doors in your face.  Facing the work of this intensity, we do not have to apologize for needing to return to home base.  There must be a strategy for going out, organizing, speaking and raising issues and then coming into yourself and your community for a check-in.  It is important to have a safety zone to refuel where you can eat your dinner with others who will understand and will protect your need to be vulnerable."
            - Dr. Bernice Johnson Reagon (Sweet Honey in the Rock) from her Foreword "Nurturing Resistance" to Reimagining America: The Arts of Social Change

        I just came back from the WOMEX conference in Germany, where I was completely energized by being party of an international community of people who were celebrating the diverse cultural contributions of people who draw from their local roots and send them out to the world.  To a person, every conversation that came up with a non-American pleaded for the US to do the right thing with this election.  It's shocking that Americans are so out of touch from world opinion, (or worse, that they are in touch with it and simply don't care) that they (re)-elected this administration.  I try to console myself with the knowledge that the Northeast of the US, which I call my home, rejected Bush soundly, and in Manhattan and the Bronx, Bush received less than 17% of the vote. I also console myself with the knowledge that over 600 of you came out to see Tinariwen, a Tuareg guitar band, maybe just to shut me up and stop nagging, but also because we have a curiosity and openness to different cultural expressions.  Thanks to all the incredible media support and friends who spread the word on this one.  it was an amazing send-off, and reaffirms why I do what I do.  While I am profoundly disappointed with my country, I am proud of my community.  In these days and years ahead, we must continue to return to our "home base" to be refueled and energized by the creative spirits which surround us, so that we can continue to fight against the oppressive regime that is causing so much damage to our country and to the world.

        So, in the spirit of returning to home base and refueling, we are thrilled to have Dr. Reagon's daughter, Toshi Reagon, a warrior herself, performing for two shows on Saturday night.  Toshi led the orchestra for the recent production of her mother's collaboration with Robert Wilson, The Temptation of St. Anthony at BAM, featuring lots of Joe's Pub faves including Carl Hancock Rux and Helga Davis, and we all know how incendiary and celebratory Toshi's concerts can be.  Come expecting to be refueled, and reenergized with a spirit of love and righteous anger.  And don't be surprised if it's a family affair at the early set.

        A few other notes, and I want to hit send, cause I know you all missed getting this last week while I was away.  It's more important than ever to keep an international perspective, so we don't get too myopic these days, so I am going to particularly mention some shows that take a global perspective.  Before I go there, let me steer you to the newly renovated Joe's Pub website - now with searchability by artist, date, genre, keyword - lots easier to find what you are looking for and buy tix, and we got some photos and press quotes - all kinds of goodies.  It's still a work in progress, and the email blast is next on the hit list, so look forward to getting your feedback. visist www.publictheater.org .

        Brazilian Music!  Unfortunately, tomorrow night's show with Monica Salmaso, which was on track to selling out, had to be cancelled due to illness.  We are looking for someone to play tomorrow night at 9:30, but no one confirmed yet. We'll try to get her back next time she comes to the US.

        We have added a few great Brazilian shows - Rob Curto, accordionist formerly of Forro in the Dark, has a great new forro band, and will be joined by several exponents of Nordestino styles, including Scott Kettner of Maracatu NY and Nation Beat and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho - expect a hardcore Brazilian dance party of baiao, coco and maracatu rhythms on Monday, November 15. On Sunday, November 21, the incredible Brazilian soul singer Ed Motta will perform two shows - he's a star in Brazil, and a concert I produced at Central Park SummerStage, where he opened for one of his idols, Roy Ayers, and ended up collaborating on about 4 songs, goes down as one of the favorite shows I've worked on.  He's an amazing talent, and if you know a Brazilian music or rare groove/soul fan, just ask them - this one is essential.  Finally, on Nov 24, the Brazilian indie-pop duo Mosquitoes finally make their way to Joe's Pub.  We've been trying to get them here for a while, and are thrilled it's finally happening.

        Mexico Now!  Joe's Pub is proud to be a part of Arts International's citywide celebration of contemporary Mexican performing and visual arts, and for our part, we have some of the finest in Mexican alternative and electronic music.  On Monday, November 15, Monterrey's Plastilina Mosh make a rare NYC appearance, bringing a sound that has been described as "the Beastie Boys meets Beck meets Cafe Tacuba".  They will do two shows at 9:30 and 11:30 . The following Monday, we present the NY debut of two groups from Guadalajara's Nopal Beat movement - Sweet Electra and God is My Name - Nopal Beat is to Guadalajara what Nortec is to Tijuana, with a bit more of a downtempo and deep house flavor.  And just added, one of our favorites, Ely Guerra, who celebrates her new record Sweet and Sour, Hot y Spicy .  Ely's previous solo shows at Joe's Pub have been magical, and we look forward to finally seeing her here with the full band.  Special thanks to Arts International, KCRW radio and La Banda Elastica for their support.

        Roots reggae!  We don't have a chance to present live reggae as much as we'd want, and are thrilled to have one of roots reggae's finest exponents - Morgan Heritage, in a special intimate show celebrating their newest album - their gospel inflected harmonies, and conscious messages are positive and uplifting.  Tickets are close to sold out, so don't wait.  Next Wednesday, Sally Timms, of the Mekons fame, brings her countrified solo project along with Johnny Dowd, followed by the Irish pub rocker Joe Hurley with his all-star band the Gents :James Mastro (Ian Hunter, John Cale), Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), Kenny Margolis (Cracker).  And Saturday, Nov 13, Pharaoh's Daughter brings you on a pan-Mediterranean journey.

        And speaking of global journeys, I had the great pleasure of spinning in two European countries last week - Fabian and I brought the GlobeSonic party to Essen's Salsoteca last Wednesday, as an unofficial kick-off to WOMEX, and it was a great place to gather all our friends together before the conference kicked into full gear, and show off our new visuals from Casey Meade of Projectile Arts.  Special thanks to Christine, Alexander and Jan of WOMEX for helping set it up.  I also stopped through London on my way back, and at the last minute, Jonathan Walton of Oi Va Voi invited me down to spin with him at a great party, Costa Urbana at the Notting Hill Arts Club - great room, great crowd, great vibe, and felt frightfully like our home at nublu.  It was a terrific way to unwind from the conference craziness, and inspired by the rocking last day set by Mahala Rai Banda, I focused on Gypsy brass bands, and horn-drenched banda/cumbia/reggaeton jams, and I was very happy to see our good friends Susheela Raman and Sam Mills stop by to say hey.

        Speaking of nublu, GlobeSonic will be back for the next in our monthly residency at Nublu on Saturday, November 13, and you can be sure I'll be dropping a bunch of new tracks I picked up last weekend - just going through the dozens of Cd's I picked up and already discovered some gems to share.  And we'll also have a special live set by Real Live Show, in a special birthday set. Real Live, who will be at Joe's Pub on November 30, bring a high energy show with two dope MC's Stimulus and Dionysus, backed by some of the funkiest instrumentalists on the NY scene. They've got a new CD Class Is In Session, released on Studio Distribution, now available at fine stores nationwide and online at www.studiodistribution.com/artist.php?id=67222   We look forward to seeing what sparks fly when we bring our two crowds together.

        GlobeSonic
        Resident DJ's: Acidophilus and Derek Beres (and Fabian Alsultany in absentia this month)
        Live set from Real Live Show
        Saturday, November 13
        10 pm - close
        $5, free with email
        nublu
        62 ave c (between 4th and 5th Streets)
        NYC - a blue city in a blue state

        Lastly, those of you who get my e-blasts regularly know what I think of the brilliant songwriter Stew, who has made himself an artistic home at The Public Theater.  Not only do we present him in Joe's Pub and at the Joe's Pub in the Park at the Delacorte, but we have also commissioned a theater piece, which he is currently developing.  Stew spent a few weeks this summer at the Sundance Theater Lab, where we was the hit of Park City, and he's coming back to NY in week, to my old stomping grounds at Symphony SpaceStew will be bringing his entire 8 piece band to New York for the first time, playing songs never before performed in New York. Selections will be played from all of his 8 albums (including The Negro Problem!). A must see show for old-school fans and new ones alike. Musical co-direction by Heidi Rodewald. Two completely different shows: 7:30 and 9:30. Buy tix to both and receive a free drink!

        Tickets: $21; Seniors, Students: $18
        Venue: Leonard Nimoy Thalia; 95th street and Broadway

        Tix: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=411&pid=5380672

        And Symphony Space has offered a special deal to people on my list: Buy a full-price ticket to one show and mention discount code TMUSTEW and receive a $10 ticket to the second show!

        Stew is an amazing writer and performer, and his music is filled with humor, anger, pain, joy and insight.  These shows should be very special.  Hope to see you there.

        All the best,

        Bill Bragin
        Director of Joe's Pub
        The Public Theater
        425 Lafayette Street
        New York, NY  10003

        t/ 212.539.8512
        f/ 212.539.8505
        e/ bbragin@...
        www.joespub.com

        "This will be our reply to violence:
        to make music more intensely,
        more beautifully,
        more devotedly than ever before."

        Leonard Bernstein

        YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEE LIES, CORRUPTION AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!
        DIRTY TRICKS
        By John Jeter, directed by Margaret Whitton, with Judith Ivey
        BOOK YOUR TICKETS TODAY! MUST CLOSE ON SUNDAY! Full info at bottom of email.
        .
        Joe's Pub Schedule of Events

        *********************Joe's Pub Schedule of Events*********************
        Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
        Location: 425 Lafayette Street between East 4th St. & Astor Place.
        Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
        For information & reservations please call 212.539.8778
        or, for Telecharge listed events call 212.239.6200.

        For show descriptions for the upcoming month, and weekly late night events, see below.

        *** = newly-added show
        -----
        ASLYN / Thurs, November 4 [SOLD OUT]

        E.S.T. / Thurs, November 4

        Monica Salmaso / Fri, November 5

        Isaac Mizrahi / Fridays, November 5 & 12

        Toshi Reagon & Big Lovely / Sat, November 6

        Susan Egan in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series / Sun, November 7

        Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests Charles Busch and Michael Musto / Sun, November 7

        Cerveris / Uncle Moon / Mon, November 8

        The Petersons / Mon, November 8

        Blood of Haiti/New World Movement Benefit for Relief Victims of Haiti / Mon, November 8

        Morgan Heritage: Full Circle CD Release / Tues, November 9

        Ihsan / Heston / Tues, November 9

        Sally Timms / Johnny Dowd / Wed, November 10

        Joe Hurley / Wed, November 10

        URB Magazine Private Party feat. Medusa, Airborne Audio, Jean Grae, DJ Kool Marv / Wed, November 10

        Vienna Teng w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm) / Thurs, November 11

        Isaac Mizrahi / Fri, November 12

        Eric Andersen/ Fri, November 12

        Adam Pascal: Civilian CD Release / Sat, November 13 [SOLD OUT - 2nd show added 11/27]

        Pharaoh's Daughter / Sat, November 13

        The Peace Within Concert feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel & Jean Feraca / Sun, November 14

        Katie Elevitch w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax / Sat, November 14

        Rob Curto's Forró Party Band: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) & Jorge Martins (Cascabulho) / Mon, November 15

        KCRW.COM Presents:
        Plastilina Mosh (part of the Mexico Now Festival) / Mon, November 15

        The Just for Laughs Experience 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias, The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt / Tues, November 16

        Hot Karl: Before I Get Famous / Tues, November 16

        Glen Phillips with special guest Kyle Riabko / Wed, November 17

        ***Lord Have Mercy album release party feat. Pumpkinhead, Wordsworth, Punch and DJ J. Period / Wed, November 17

        Ian McLagan (of Small Faces) & The Bump Band / Thurs, November 18

        Kelly Joe Phelps / Thurs, November 18

        Richard Shindell with special guest Eliza Gilkyson / Fri and Sat, November 19-20

        Marion LoGuidice / Fri, November 19

        Odetta / Sat, November 20

        Ed Motta / Sun, November 21

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 22 & 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        Sweet Electra and God is My Name (part of Mexico Now festival) / Mon, November 22

        Rich Price / Tues, November 23

        The Shorebirds / Tues, November 23

        Marta Topferova / Marta Gomez / Wed, November 24

        Mosquitos / Wed, November 24

        ***Francis Dunnery and David Sancious / Sat, November 26

        Brian Vander Ark / Fri, November 26

        Adam Pascal: Civilian / Sat, November 27

        Res / Sat, November 27

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        ***Ely Guerra [part of the Mexico Now Festival] / Sun, November 28

        Edison Woods / Sarah Slean / Tues, November 30

        The Real Live Show / Tues, November 30

        Nancy Sinatra / Wed, December 1

        Fleurine feat. Jesse van Ruller & special guest Brad Mehldau: Fire CD Release / Thurs, December 2

        Tony Joe White / Thurs, December 2

        Luciana Souza: Celebrating Neruda / Sat, December 4

        Juliana Hatfield / Sat, December 4

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        The Luminescent Orchestrii and Choir / Mon, December 6

        Isle of Klezbos / Tues, December 7

        BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet / Tues, December 7

        Raul Midon / Wed, December 8

        Keren Ann / Wed, December 8

        Nora York / Thurs, December 9

        ***Pheobe Legere: How the Accordian Saved the World / Thurs, December 9

        Lina Koutrakos / Fri, December 10

        One Ring Zero w/ special guests Rick Moody, Jonathan Ames, AM Homes & more / Fri, December 10

        Howard Fishman / Sat, December 11

        Rene Risque & The Art Lovers: The Annual Christmas Show and Hanukkah, Too / Sat, December 11

        Dan Moses Schreier and Dan Hurlin: The Shoulder CD Release / Sun, December 12

        ***Lapis Lazuli feat. Kurt Wolf (of Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, and Foetus Inc.) with special guest Retada / Sun, December 12

        Heather Greene / Mon, December 13

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 13, 20 & 27

        ***North Star Fund's 25th Anniversary Kickoff feat. William Cepeda and his International Septet / Tues, December 14

        YahZarah / Kameko: Evolutionary Alternative / Tues, December 14

        Jane Siberry w/ special guest Adrienne Pierce / Wed - Fri, December 15 - 17

        Tammy Faye Starlite: Tammy Does Loretta / Thurs, December 16

        BETTY: Snowbiz / Fri - Sun, December 17 - 19

        Mike Errico Holiday Show / Sat, December 18

        ***Jamie McGonnigal Presents: Miracle on Lafayette
        An Evening to Benefit God's Love We Deliver / Sun, December 19

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 20 & 27

        Imani Uzuri: Winter Solstice Holiday Concert / Mon, December 20

        Easter Rising written by Michael Arden / Tues, December 21

        Heeb Storytelling with Todd Barry, Jill Sobule and more / Wed, December 22

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mon, December 27

        ***Steve Forbert / Sat & Sun, January 1 & 2

        ***Chris Smither / Fri, January 7

        globalFEST, feat. Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Eva Ayllon, Juana Molina, Lokua Kanza, Mory Kante, Noche Flamenca, feat. Soledad Barrio & Martin Santangelo, Ollabelle, Paris Combo, Rokia Traore, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Warsaw Village Band, Yoshida Brothers & DJ Rekha / Sat, January 8

        Antony and the Johnsons / Sun, January 9

        Marlo Marron / Sun, January 16

        Carolyn Hudson: Living In My Skin CD Release / Mon, January 17

        Katie Melua / Wednesday, January 19

        Lucy Kaplansky / Thursday-Friday, January 20-21

        Min Xiao-Fen: The Blue Pipa Trio Celebrates the Year of the Rooster / Sat, January 22

        ***Ralph's World / Sun, February 6

        ***Rhonda Vincent / Jim Lauderdale / Fri, March 18
        ----------

        UPCOMING PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTIONS
        Thurs, November 4
        ASLYN
        7pm, SOLD OUT

        Thurs, November 4
        E.S.T.
        E.S.T. (the Esbjörn Svensson Trio) is phenomenal, acclaimed by Downbeat as "one of the hottest jazz acts in Europe today." A jazz trio, which sees itself as a pop band that plays jazz, E.S.T. breaks with the tradition of leader and sidemen in favor of equality within its members. Playing rock venues as well as the usual jazz clubs, in their native Sweden their music can be found in the pop-charts and their videos playing on MTV Scandinavia. Openness, curiosity, and a little bit of chance are all a part of pianist Esbjörn Svensson's artistic foundation. With their unique soundscape, combining jazz with drum 'n' bass, electronic elements, funk, and pop and rock as well as European Classical music, E.S.T.'s audience spans from the classic jazz-fans to the youngest Hip Hop fans. The 2002 release "Strange Place for Snow" has broken all records as far as awards are concerned: The German Jazz Award, the German Critics Award for "Best Jazz Album of the Year", the Guiness Jazz in Europe Award, the Choc l'annee by the French Jazzman magazine, and the Victoire de la Musique (French Grammy) in the category "Best International Act" proving that this band is "the trio of the decade" (London Times). Their latest album Seven Days of Falling is proving to be another sensation. "Toeing a surprisingly fine line between acoustic-jazz accessibility and electronic-music ingenuity, E.S.T. is a forward-thinking Swedish trio that adds subtle, dark ambient texture (and then some) to the traditional piano-trio format...well-constructed tunes with catchy, often-lilting melodies...they bring in some simple folk music balladry, add some classical music complexity, and even touch on the creeping influence of electro rock à la Radiohead." -Amazon www.hopper-management.com 9:30pm, $15 advance/$20 at door

        Fridays, November 5 & 12
        ISAAC MIZRAHI
        "Isaac is a fabulous singer and a consummate musician." -Mrs. Sarah Mizrahi.
        Following the success of his recent appearances at Joe's Pub, featured on his show on Oxygen TV, fashion designer and TV personality Isaac Mizrahi sings his head off for four special fall shows. Featuring jazz pianist and rising star Ben Waltzer and his quintet, it's not something you can afford to miss. www.target.com 7:30pm, $20

        Fri, November 5
        MONICA SALMASO
        With beauty and rapport as her primary criteria, Monica Salmaso, the lyric soul of Brazil, demonstrates that she is an artist who not only strives to reach the audience, to move it emotionally, but who also does so with only the finest material. Part of what sets Salmaso apart is her canny choice of material, with an emphasis on ballads that showcase her "gorgeous, quintessentially Brazilian voice." -New York Times. She draws her repertoire from many of Brazil's greatest songwriters, such as Dorival Caymmi, Chico Buarque, Djavan, Ary Barroso, though some of her most effective pieces are folk songs that she renders timeless. At a time when many Brazilian music lovers are worried about the rise of throw away pop music dominating the radio, Salmaso shows that there's still plenty of room on the airwaves for beauty. "Her voice is a fluent and beautifully colored instrument." -Billboard www.monicasalmaso.mus.br 9:30pm, $20

        Sat, November 6
        TOSHI REAGON & BIG LOVELY
        Singer Toshi Reagon calls to mind classic R&B artists, like Stevie Wonder or Prince, and old school rock groups like Led Zeppelin; she can take any style, update it, and make it her own with incredible ease. Despite (or because of) her genre-bending, Toshi fits comfortably on a stage with any of the Lilith artists, at Carnegie Hall, in a dirty rock club or in a hip, downtown boite. Of her innovative rock crossed with soul-influenced, blues-tinged folk, Interview magazine raved, "Anyone who thinks rock is a dead medium need only listen to the music of Toshi Reagon and her almighty band Big Lovely." Most people would just tell you that to truly understand how Toshi can seamlessly transcend all of these genres, you have to check her out live. "Oh, that voice ...devotees know they've born witness to one of the great voices of this generation." -Village Voice www.toshireagon.com 7:30 & 9:30pm, $20

        Sun, November 7
        SUSAN EGAN in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series
        7pm, SOLD OUT

        Sun, November 7
        Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests CHARLES BUSCH and MICHAEL MUSTO
        CAUSE CELEB! is a cult downtown hit alternative cabaret series that features interpretive readings of celebrity autobiographies. Created by Nancy Balbirer and Charlotte Booker, each themed evening draws from the most sensational (and often salacious) passages of starry tomes, to
        hilariously dramatic effect. November 7th's theme is HOW TO: ADVICE FROM THE STARS! and includes sage tidbits from some of Hollywood's Greats, Near-Greats and Not-So-Greats. Learn how to have the perfect bowel movement from Marilu Henner! Jot down diet tips from Liz Taylor! Impress friends with Tommy Lee's rules for pleasuring a woman and much, much more! Come see the show Next Magazine proclaimed "Easily the most fabulous 'must-see' of New York nightlife!" With seven performers including Ms. Balbirer and Ms. Booker, and special guest stars Charles Busch (as Arlene Dahl) and Michael Musto (as Paris Hilton). 9:30pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        CERVERIS / UNCLE MOON
        Singer/songwriter Michael Cerveris' career straddles the disparate worlds of theatre and indie rock. Tonight, joined by a powerful rock band plus string quartet, Cerveris focuses on material from his ferocious and fragile solo debut album, dog eared, which "...turns pathos into pop redemption" (Amplifier). The Tony Award-winning actor and rock musician Cerveris -- former frontman of British band Retriever (Hinterlands) and the U.S. group Lame, as well as touring guitarist/vocalist on Bob Mould's '98 US/UK "Dog and Pony Show" sojourn -- originated the title role in the Broadway hit Tommy and in the late 90s, he starred in the smash cult hit Hedwig and the Angry Inch on London's West End, in New York Off-Broadway, and in Los Angeles, and most recently, on Broadway in Sondheim and Weidman's "Assassins". On his new deeply personal and passionate album, recorded with friends including Corin Tucker and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney, Laura Cantrell, The Posies' Ken Stringfellow and Sonic Youth's Steve Shelley, Cerveris highlights his versatile hook-filled songwriting, emotionally resonant vocals and subtle arrangements. "...this is the very model of the modern Breakup Record.with its emphasis on acoustic guitars, uncertain melodies and hushed, tremulous singing, Dog Eared most recalls the work of the late Elliott Smith." -Time Out NY www.cerveris.com
        Uncle Moon weaves an eclectic variety of music drawing on the unique possibilities of instrumentation consisting of guitar, accordion, violin, saxophone and double bass and as a result has been called everything from "Kurt Weill at the Grand Ol' Opry" to "the closest that performance art music has come to moonshine." Performing special arrangements of material by a melange of artists that include Django Rheinhardt, Thelonius Monk, Velvet Underground, and The Butthole Surfers, as well as their impressive original material Uncle Moon provides a sound experience that audiences will not soon forget. 7pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        THE PETERSONS
        The Petersons, upstate New York's favorite rock and roll family, are back to blow the roof off Joe's Pub. The metaphorical roof, that is...the actual roof's far too valuable. The Petersons are Adam Stein, Keira Naughton, Matt Saldivar, Evan Robertson and Pete Simpson, and they always come prepared with a completely new show and surprise special guests. Previous drop-ins include Academy Award winner Paul Newman, Tony Award winners James Naughton and Robert Sean Leonard, Emmy Award nominee Michael C. Hall, superstar John Cameron Mitchell, and many many more. Described by The New York Times as "a hipster theater mock-rock group with a devoted following," The Petersons will bring you the gift of laughter, the gift of musical bliss, and most important of all...the gift of eternal salvation. If you don't believe it, come on down and see for yourself. "One of the funniest, most original shows in town" -Time Out New York 9:30pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        BLOOD OF HAITI/NEW WORLD MOVEMENT BENEFIT FOR RELIEF VICTIMS OF HAITI
        Haitian Hip Hop Artists come together Jules, Mecca, Martilee, Negnoir Army, Lyon Paw, Ella Turenne and others. Hosted by Won-G. And a screening of documentary by Danny Glover: "Sove Nou".
        The First Land Movement is an organization aimed at working to bring the hip hop community together to raise support for issues concerning the world community. The movement's ultimate goal is to help raise money that will buy food, books and other supplies to help rebuild communities across the Globe. The First Land Movement will raise awareness through benefit concerts, rallies, fundraisers and other events. Performances, however, are just one aspect of raising money for these causes. Corporate and private donors are also urged to help the cause. www.negoirrecords.com | www.firmcleo.net 11pm, $15 and accepted donations, clothing, food, etc.

        Tues, November 9
        MORGAN HERITAGE: Full Circle CD Release
        Morgan Heritage is more than just a legendary reggae band. They're a revolution, a family, a force of nature, and a crew of five independent artists on a musical mission. With "Full Circle," their seventh album for VP Records, Morgan Heritage connects with reggae's past while blazing an uncharted path into a musical future beyond categorization. "...the favorite reggae band of today's skater kids, eschewing trendiness for roots sounds and Rasta messages, and sealing the deal with achingly beautiful sibling harmonies second to none in Jamaican music." -All Music Guide. 7pm, $20

        Tues, November 9
        IHSAN / HESTON
        Manhattan born, Jersey bred, and Brooklyn steeped Ihsan rhymes, sings, chants, and rocks the crowd to the sway of her hips. Having performed and dominated the New York spoken - word and underground club scenes, Ihsan has spread her wings to write her self-titled debut album which features her signature hits "Black" and "Bones." On it, Ihsan combines the bluesy funk quality of Jill Scott with the expansive imagination of Erykah Badu, and reminds listeners what good music is all about. Don't miss this chance to let Ihsan teach you how to groove at Joe's Pub.
        World-soul artist, Heston, brings it back to NY after a crazy summer! From sharing the stage with Angie Stone and George Clinton at Atlanta's famed Midtown Music Festival to opening a performance with Van Hunt and Kanye West at the On-The-Bricks Festival in front of 35,000 people, Heston has been spreading the love and his music to the masses. Following the incredible response both nationally and internationally from his self-titled EP, Heston is completing production on his forthcoming album - due out in early 2005. Heston is excited to get back to the intimate setting at one of his favorite clubs - Joe's Pub. This event is proudly supported by Sista Factory www.sistafactory.com 9:30pm, $12

        Wed, November 10
        SALLY TIMMS / JOHNNY DOWD
        Sally Timms, best known for her involvement with the Mekons, continues to define alt-country in her newest recording In The World of Him (Touch and Go). The album, recorded with Johnny Dowd showcases songs written by men and sung from their perspective - featuring songs by Ryan Adams, Mark Eitzel, Kevin Coyne and more. "Timms blends rapture and disenchantment in a way that recalls those old cliches about why caged birds sing. Her voice, a secretive murmur refined by her native English accent, is the stuff of lullabies. But her knowing stance pulls back from that intimacy with a sweet sadness." -New York Times http://nytimes.com/2004/09/27/arts/music/27choi.html
        "There's intense and there's Johnny Dowd. He's Nick Cave with a hangover. Hank's lonesome whistle spat through Waits's grinder, with Beefheart on the side, coming on like a flu-ridden Texan undertaker singing broken folk laments for a dead dog he never cared much for anyway...his cracked larynx, jagged guitar and spooky organ possessed of something quite unnerving, eking out gothic tales laced with tar-black humour." -Time Out London 7pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Joe Hurley 9:30pm show

        Wed, November 10
        JOE HURLEY
        As the leader of longtime NYC favorites Rogue's March, Joe Hurley has released several critically acclaimed CDs, and performed with the likes of Marianne Faithfull, Amy Rigby, Sally Timms, Martha Wainwright,and Shane MacGowan. The combination of Hurley's heartfelt vocal quality and his flair for cinematic storytelling has been recognized and captured on record by producers such as Tony Visconti( Bowie), Rob Fraboni (Stones) and PJ Harvey. For this special night at Joe's Pub, Hurley will be backed by The Gents, a sublime cast of NYC allstars, including Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), James Mastro (John Cale, Ian Hunter), Kenny Margolis (Cracker) and Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate) -- Joe and The Gents will be playing songs culled from his forthcoming CD an eclectic mix of stripped-down ballads, music-hall flavored sing-alongs, and flat-out stinging r&r...Expect very special guests. "Joe Hurley is one of New York's most entertaining frontmen - His distinctive vocals can be raucous as all get-out, and as sorrowful as a baritone can be" -Village Voice www.roguesmarch.com 9:30pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Sally Timms 7pm show

        Thurs, November 11
        VIENNA TENG w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm)
        With her graceful melodies and evocative lyrics, Vienna -- "a love child of Chopin and Sarah McLachlan" (San Jose Mercury News) -- has garnered critical acclaim and a rapidly growing legion of fans throughout the world. Her first album "Waking Hour" took Vienna from anonymity to fame in a few short months, and her newest release "Warm Strangers" produced by David Henry (REM, Cowboy Junkies, Josh Rouse) and mixed by Roger Moutenot (Roseanne Cash, Guster, Joseph Arthur) promises to take her to the next level. "Sharp and poetic...smart and layered songcraft." -Washington Post www.viennateng.com
        Formed in Manhattan in 1997 by singer/songwriter Steve O'Reilly and guitarist/producer Matt Anthony and later joined by drummer Dave Femia and Bassist Rod Quevedo, Tammany Hall NYC hasn't stopped making great music. "At a time when more-calculating-than-thou Pop cynicism has taken over the radio, singer Steve O'Reilly's naked emotion hits like a shot of whiskey." -San Fransisco Bay Guardian www.tammanyhallnyc.com
        Having grown up in Lubbock, Texas, Beth Wood is classically trained in piano, violin, harp and voice. After spending two years studying voice and piano at Brevard College in North Carolina, Beth moved on to The University of Texas, where she picked up a degree in Literature and her first guitar. Teaching herself guitar, she joined a band and became part of the Austin music scene. After a few years of playing around Austin in her band, and then in a duo, Beth kissed her day-job goodbye and returned to the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina to pursue music full-time. The natural beauty of her surroundings provided inspiration while the supportive community helped Beth to become a stand-out in the Asheville songwriters' community. Now an established singer/songwriter, she occasionally resides in Arlington, Texas, while continuously touring to support her five independent releases. www.bethwoodmusic.com 6:30 & 9pm, $15

        Fri, November 12
        ISAAC MIZRAHI
        [see 11/5 for full info] 7:30pm, $20

        Fri, November 12
        ERIC ANDERSEN
        Eric Andersen's songs, voice, and guitar have created a career, spanning over 30 years, that includes 21 albums of original songs, and numerous tours of North America, Europe, and Japan. His songs have been recorded by artists all over the world, including Judy Collins, Fairport Convention, Peter Paul and Mary, Rick Nelson, Linda Ronstadt, The Grateful Dead, and Francoise Hardy. "Andersen is one of America's finest lyric-poet songwriters...he stands with his contemporaries Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell - as one of the few remaining pioneers of the 60's singer/songwriter movement continuing to do important work." -Aquarian Weekly 9:30pm, $20

        Sat, November 13
        ADAM PASCAL: Civilian CD Release
        7pm, SOLD OUT
        *2nd show added November 27!

        Sat, November 13
        PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER
        This evening will open with a composition by oud player, Basya Schechter, funded in part by NYSCA, and featuring a small Arabic orchestra, musically directed by Bassam Saba, virtuoso ney, oud and violin player in Simon Shaheen's ensemble. The rest of the program features Pharaoh's Daughter, who debuted this year at Summerstage, and who the Village Voice describes as "totally beautiful...stitching torah to indo to jazz to pop...balancing spirituality with cultural pluralism." 9:30pm, $12 in advance/$15 at the door

        Sun, November 14
        THE PEACE WITHIN CONCERT feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel, and Jean Feraca
        The "Peace Within" project rocks Public Radio with four 4 powerful singer-songwriters. Dorothy Scott is a versatile singer/songwriter who delivers naked soul and honesty with an intoxicatingly passionate vibe, and has been compared to Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, and Jeff Buckley. Sloan Wainwright holds a beautiful musical style that melds the best of rock, folk, jazz and blues to a soulful hybrid. Julie Gold is best known as the writer of "From A Distance: (winning the Grammy for song of the year in 1990. Corky Siegel has earned an international reputation as one of the world's greatest blues harmonica masters. Special guest, Jean Feraca from Wisconsin Public Radio, will open the show with her award winning essay "Crossing the Great Divide" , which speaks of the power of radio to connect people across boundaries. The "Peace Within" concert series is a nation wide project which is designed to strengthen and support public and independent radio stations across the nation. 7pm, $20

        Sun, November 14
        KATIE ELEVITCH w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax
        Recently chosen as a Village Voice Choice by music editor Chuck Eddy and called a "positively riveting talent" by The Big Takeover, Katie Elevitch is a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose songs and live band shows lure you into a sonic devotional journey across lush landscapes of groove heavy rock, soul, folk and jazz. Her debut album, Now Is The Destination, which will be released this December, was produced by Tony Maimone and was proclaimed "the kick-ass side of fuck yeah" by Obie-award winning playwright and Giant Step recording artist, Carl Hancock Rux. With Jonathan Maron (Groove Collective) bass, Tim Vaill, drums and Riley McMahon, guitar. www.KatieElevitch.com | www.NowIsTheDestination.com
        The former front man of world-renowned black rock band 24-7 Spyz and the funk-based band Egypt, Jeff Brodnax creates luscious, symphonic scale songs of love and loss using only the barest of necessities: his voice and guitar. Jeff currently soothes souls in the NYC subway tunnels. www.cdbaby.com/brodnax 9:30pm, $10

        Mon, November 15
        ROB CURTO'S FORRó PARTY BAND: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) and Jorge Martins (Cascabulho)
        "Música do Nordeste" -- an evening of Brazilian music from special Northeast region. Featuring Rob Curto's energetic Forró Band and special guests Scott Kettner, members of his groups Maracatu NY and Nation Beat ensemble, and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho, from Recife, Brazil. This show will be a special collaboration combining elements of Forró, the accordion-driven dance music of the northeast of Brazil, with Maracatu and other rhythms from the state Pernambuco, home of Jorge Martins from the popular band Cascabulho. Maracatu, originally linked to the election of a "King of the Congo" by the African slaves in Brazil is a super-energetic, percussive and syncopated form of music, which remains popular in Brazil and, along with Forró is becoming recognized throughout the world. Don't miss this special performance. 7:30pm, $12

        Mon, November 15
        KCRW.COM Presents:
        PLASTILINA MOSH
        part of the Mexico Now Festival
        With comparisons to Beck, Air and Buffalo Daughter, Plastilina Mosh's breezy post-mod hip-pop music, mixing English and Spanish lyrics, perfectly reflects a kind of bordertown internationalism...in one word "sleazydiscofunkpunk-newwavehiphop". The Monterrey, Mexico duo - Juan José "Jonaz" González and Alejandro Rosso - come together in an unusual group with an uncommon name which comes from the sonic combination of two dissimilar words that exemplify the members' personalities: visceral opposites. Their breakthrough single "Niño Bomba" was the first rock-en-Español clip ever added to MTV's rotation. Over the years, they have worked with a who's who of the Latin and Anglo alternative worlds, from Café Tacuba to the Beta Band's producer Chris Allison, to Beastie Boys' Money Mark. After along break, P-Mosh's released their third album, "Hola Chicuelos", which again captures P-Mosh's freshness and sense of humor, with guest appearances by Asian massive percussionist Karsh Kale, Brazilian singer Pat C, amd Maurizio Terracina of Zurdok. "Boombastic beats, over-the-top rapping in Spanglish, and a fair share of salsa, funk, and lounge-jazz thrown in to boot...Beck can't rock the house as convincingly and fiercely as Plastilina Mosh...edgy but not humorless, keeping one foot on the dance floor and one in the mosh pit." -Pitchfork. www.plastilinamosh.com.mx
        This concert is presented in association with the Mexico Now, a citywide festival of contemporary Mexican arts and culture, which presents the work of over 100 Mexican filmmakers, architects, writers, dance, theater, music, and visual artists at 30 of New York City's leading arts venues in November 2004. Mexico Now is a project of Arts International, the nation's only nonprofit organization solely devoted to international arts exchange. More information available at www.mexiconowfestival.org. Flights provided courtesy of the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores de México. 9:30 & 11:30pm, $20

        Tues, November 16
        THE JUST FOR LAUGHS EXPERIENCE 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias and The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt
        Join us for a raucous evening of comedy featuring a line-up of stand-out stand-ups from Montreal's Just For Laughs, the world's largest and most prestigious comedy festival. Hosted by Brent Butt, star of the hit CTV sitcom Corner Gas, and featuring the talents of Bill Burr, from Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show", Ted Alexandro, NY comedy club circuit veteran whose numerous television appearances include "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "The Late Show with David Letterman", the unique blend of song and satire from rising Canadian comedy team The Doo Wops, and Montrealer Joey Elias, who lost a bet 12 years ago and was forced onto the comedy stage. Now, he has no less than seven appearances at the Just For Laughs Festival and appeard on the 2003 cross-Canada tour. He made a colossal splash during his outstanding performance at the 2002 Just For Laughs Gala. He has recently appeared on MTV's Road Rules. A truly "best of" evening that is not to be missed. www.hahaha.com 7pm, $15

        Tues, November 16
        HOT KARL: Before I Get Famous
        When hip-hop began its attack on mainstream culture in the mid-80's, it found itself in some pretty strange neighborhoods. It started to influence kids that the music was never intended for. Shows like Yo! MTV Raps and national tours from Run DMC brought rap music to uncharted territories never thought of during its birth in the hood. This is when the suburbs discovered rap music. And so did Hot Karl. As Karl continues his attempt to "make hip-hop fun," he never focuses on the morbid and fake world of guns, jewels and money that is the current trend in urban music. "I'm only going to speak about things I know," Karl explains. "My keeping it real is much different than most other MC's." Destined to be voice of the suburbs, Hot Karl attempts to introduce his upbringing and signature humor to the mainstream through rap. His forthcoming album on BBE/Headless Heroes features production and guest appearances from DJ Quik, Will.I.Am, 9th Wonder, Ayatollah, C-Minus, MC Serch, Jamey Staub, Reggie Watts and Mayru. 9:30pm, $10 advance/$12 at door

        Wed, November

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)