joe's pub upcoming events...

    Message 1 of 68 , Dec 4, 2003

      So many things to say, so I’ll try to say them all briefly.

      We had some great sold out shows this week – Ana Gasteyer, Stephanie McKay, Juana Molina – all of which sold out close to show time, and found numbers of disappointed people who couldn’t get in.  This is just a reminder that one of the advantages of being on the email list is that you get early notice about events, long before they are advertised.  We encourage you to at least skim the lists of upcoming events (even if you don’t read every precious word) and if there’s something you want to see, don’t procrastinate – take advantage of the insider knowledge.  And if you have friends you think would be interested on getting our emailing, forward them this email with the links.

      On The Public Theater front – the response to Caroline, Or Change, the new Tony Kushner/Jeanine Tesori musical play directed by George C Wolfe has been incredible, and we are about to announce an additional extension.  I saw the piece last week, and it is truly brilliant with an amazing cast, an innovative structure, and deals with a broad fantasia of themes and subtexts, much like Kushner and Wolfe’s last collaboration, Angels in America.  There is a great piece on Caroline in the current New Yorker http://newyorker.com/printable/?critics/031208crth_theatre, and supposedly there will be another major piece in this Sunday’s Times.  Sales have been really strong, so run, don’t walk to www.telecharge.com or 212.239.6200 to get tickets while you still can.  It’s a remarkable artistic achievement.

      Another new play, Tracey Scott Wilson’s The Story is still in previews, and there is a limited time discount offer at the end of this email for more info.

      Also at the end of the email is information about special discounted Gift Membership 3-play packages available as you start working on your holiday gift planning. There’s still time to give the gift of theater.

      Below, you will see a longer description of globalFEST, a huge event we have been working on in collaboration with NYC’s World Music Institute, World Music, Inc. from Boston and in association with the Association of Performing Arts Presenters. Kicking off the new year on Saturday, January 10, 2004,

      3 stages running simultaneously at The Public, including Joe’s Pub, will be filled with 16 world music artists of all kinds – from traditional to beats-driven, troubadours to instrumental virtuosos.  It promises to be an incredible night of music, and tickets to the general public just went on sale.  The press coverage is starting to come out – here is an article from this past Sunday’s Newsday, and we expect lot more coverage, so demand will be high, and space is limited.  Don’t wait on this one.

      http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/ny-fflipp3561758nov30,0,1781157.story

      and for bios, sound files etc. visit www.rockpaperscissors.biz/go/globalFEST

      And let’s not forget about Joe’s Pub – great shows this week – two brilliant comic minds on the next two Fridays- the legendary Mort Sahl this Friday, and the hilarious Paula Poundstone next Friday, December 12.

      This weekend, BETTY start off the holiday season with the first of four weekly holiday extravaganzas that will feature all kinds of special guests like Toshi Reagon, Gloria Steinem, Jane Siberry, Maggie Moore and others. See below for more on that.

      Next Thursday night, December 11, we have a rare foray into classical music (and a lot more) and a special program conceived by our good friend Limor Tomer – a birthday tribute to the visionary and eccentric composer Hector Berlioz. It’s an amazing collection of artists, and an opportunity to hear the opera star Susan Graham in an intimate space (usually you have to look for her on the stage of the Metropolitan Opera). Berlioz was one of the first true avant-garde performers, and having his music interpreted by the likes of Jed Distler, Kamikaze Ground Crew, Brooklyn Saxophone Quartet and Theo Bleckmann should be a real treat.  And of course, at the end of the show a real live psychic counselor will try to summon Berlioz himself for a live in-real-time review of the concert from a music critic that’s been dead for 160 years????? (according to Limor “and the word on the street is, he’s hip to the concert, and planning to attend. He’s on the ghost list, plus 2!)” – her line, not mine…..

      Don’t want to shortchange the others, but it;’s already long, so read below to get all the skinny on Joe’s Pub Shows.

      Finally, don’t forget that GlobeSonic is now in a monthly residency at Nublu, and our next gig is next Saturday, December 13 after 10 and admission is FREE.

      The whole crew of DJ’s: Fabian Alsultany, Derek Beres and me (Acidophilus) will all be together at this one so hope to see you there.

      GlobsSonic

      Saturdays, December 13, 2003 and January 17, 2004

      Nublu

      62 Ave C (between 4 & 5) – look for the blue bulb

      10 pm – late

      FREE

      Apologies, as always for the yahoogroups ad increasing the size of an unusually lengthy email.  We’ll try to be briefer next week.

      *********************Joe's Pub Schedule of Events*********************
      Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
      Location: 425 Lafayette Street between East 4th St. & Astor Place.
      Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
      For information & reservations please call 212.539.8778
      or, for Telecharge listed events call 212.239.6200.

      EARTHA KITT performs at Joe's Pub for our 2nd Annual New Year's Eve Bash!
      Limited tickets available now at 212.539.8778.
      .

      Joe's Pub Schedule of Events

      Thurs, December 4
      DANISH WORLD MUSIC SHOWCASE
      feat. HAUGAARD & HOIRUP / PHONIX / SERRAS
      To celebrate the release of a special issue of Global Rhythm magazine devoted to Danish folk music, three Danish bands will be playing in New York. Haugaard & Hoirup specialize in an elegant mixture of traditional Danish music and original compositions, seasoned with a few old Danish songs in fresh interpretations. The Haugaard & Hoirup sound is Danish music at its most melodious: light and untroubled with its own sweetness and with a hint of the enchanted and a touch of the diabolical. Phonix's music is characterized by its intensity and enthusiasm, and its respect for tradition is balanced and challenged by a drive for originality. With a unique instrumentation, some new tunes, texts taken from the great Scandinavian folk tradition, and last but not least, complex and original arrangements, Phonix are doing their bit to rejuvenate and continue the Danish folk music tradition. Serras is certainly the most exiting and dangerous experiment ever with Danish folk music tradition. The raw power and bounce of old dance music is sandblasted for today with jazz, rock and electronics Serras live is pure energy, a living wave that lifts every single listener. Serras gives the audience "a fist in the face". No wonder Serras has been called "The vikings of folk music." Note: 9 pm show features Haugaard & Hoirup and Serras Only. FREE admission, RSVPs required by calling 212.539.8778. www.hhduo.dk | www.phonixfolk.dk | www.serras.dk | www.gorhythm.com
      7 & 9:30pm, FREE (call 212.539.8778)

      Fri, December 5
      MARION LoGUIDICE
      Marion LoGuidice's debut CD, "Dirty Goddess", delivers wildly poetic lyrics coupled with driving melodies that push consciousness to the edge. She weaves intimate tales of grief, beauty, anger and forgiveness, stretching the borders of rock, pop and folk with her diverse range of musical styles. An evening with Marion's music promises to feed our hope and open us up to the possibility of life lived on the edge of both motion and stillness. "Marion's voice, like her words and music, is deep, sonorous and earthy. It kind of defies any sort of pat characterization or classification. She has an arresting quiver that I find heart-stopping. Marion has taken her experiences and spun them into song-stories that resonate on many levels." -Cyndi Lauper www.dirtygoddess.com 7:30pm, $12

      Fri, December 5
      MORT SAHL
      If ever there was a call for a true American original, that time is now. Lauded for his fearless brand of political satire and incisive view of the human condition, Mort Sahl makes his second appearance at Joe's Pub. As George Bush Sr. once projected "Mort's the thinking man's comedy" worldly wise and witty and always on the mark, Mort Sahl is not to be missed. 9:30pm, $25

      Sat, December 6
      NICK ROLFE
      More than just a modern day soul man, the versatile Nick Rolfe incorporates his multi-facted background in jazz, r&b, gospel and funk to create a "lip-licking funk, flirtatious R&B soul sound" (CDBaby) that echoes the testaments of legends of the past like Curtis Mayfield, Shuggie Otis and Sly the Family Stone mixed with contemporary innovators like D'Angelo, Me'shell NdegeOcello and British neo-soul pioneer Omar, who has used Nick's band as his US-based crew. Rolfe's music feels effortless and easy, yet the underlying groove is THICK. His is the kind of soul you can shake it on the dancefloor to, sit back and bob your head to, or settle in and vibe to. "Exceptional...the music of singer/keyboardist/songwriter Rolfe exudes cool composure with an engaging nature and strength. Rolfe's funky-cool band Slick Jackson is a perfect fit for Rolfe's relax-everything's-alright soulfulness." -The Amplifier www.nickrolfe.com 7:30pm, $12

      Sat, December 6
      JOANNE SHENANDOAH
      The remarkable singer/songwriter Joanne Shenandoah, Wolf Clan member of the Oneida Nation, Iroquois Confederacy, "2002 - Native Artist of the Year", 9 time Native American Music Award winner and Grammy nominee, is one of America's most prolific American Indian artists, renowned for her original compositions and striking voice. Shenandoah embellishes the ancient songs of the Iroquois using a blend of traditional and contemporary instrumentation and reflects the indigenous philosophy and culture which continues to have a profound effect on the world today. From traditional chants to contemporary ballads about Native ways, her music has been described as an emotional experience, a "Native American Trance." With 12 albums to her credit, Shenandoah's music is heard on Bose sounds systems as well as on PBS, HBO, CBS, Discovery Channel, documentaries and television shows. This performance is presented in association with The Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian and the American Indian Community House and coincides with the next day's (Dec. 7) screening of "Dancing On Mother Earth," an intimate documentary about Shenandoah that follows her on tour and at home on the Oneida reservation in central New York. The performance and screening presentation are both part of this year's 2003 Native American Film and Video Festival at the National Museum of the American Indian in lower Manhattan. www.nativenetworks.si.edu (English) and www.redesindigenas.si.edu (Español). "Joanne Shenandoah has become the most critically acclaimed Native American Singer of her time." -Associated Press. www.joanneshenandoah.com 9:30pm, $15

      Sundays, December 7, 14, 21, 28
      BETTY: Home For The Holidays
      with special guests:
      12/7 - Heather Greene
      12/14 - David Driver, Everett Bradley & Gloria Steinem
      12/21 - Miss Maggie Moore & Toshi Reagon
      12/28 - Kate Pierson (B-52's) & Jane Siberry
      Legendary New York City pop/rock band BETTY, stars of the recent Off-Broadway smash, "BETTY RULES", are ringing in the season with their annual Holiday Shows at Joe's Pub. BETTY's wicked wit will heat up your Hannukah, kick off your Kwanzaa and put some naughty in your Noel. BETTY, known for soaring female vocals, shimmering harmonies and sharp, pointed lyrics will be laying down deep sleigh grooves to warm the heart of the biggest Scrooge. Each show features special musical guests and songs from the brand new CD "BETTY RULES: The Original Cast Recording". For more info visit www.bettyrules.com. Ho ho ho. All shows 7pm, $20 per show/$60 for all four

      Sunday, December 7
      FAST N' BULBOUS: THE CAPTAIN BEEFHEART PROJECT
      feat. GARY LUCAS, arranged and conducted by PHILLIP JOHNSTON
      Fast 'N Bulbous is band which explores and re-examines the music of the American avant-rock genius Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet). Featuring Gary Lucas as guitar soloist and Phillip Johnston's arrangements for a 7-piece band comprised of a rock rhythm section and a jazz horn section, they combine elements of jazz improvisation, compositional complexity, turn-on-a-dime precision & infectious rhythms into a show that is both a surprising deconstruction and a joyful celebration of one of the most influential, yet least-interpreted composers in American music history. Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band opened ears from the mid-60s to the mid-80s with records like Trout Mask Replica & Lick My Decals Off Baby; he has left an ever-growing legion of fans in the wake of his retirement from music in 1984. Gary Lucas, who was featured in the last version of the Magic Band, plays this music again after a long absence, including performing some the famous solo guitar pieces he recorded on the later Beefheart records; Phillip Johnston, of Microscopic Septet fame, has re-imagined this guitar music as played by a New Orleans marching band led by Charles Ives. Together they create a new hybrid which delights both old fans & new. "The group's big, physical yet intricate sound was a joy to hear for both the Beefheartophile and, I'm sure, for the merely curious. I was expecting it to be good but my expectations were surpassed in grand style. Who knows? Maybe even Don would have liked it". -Mike Barnes (Wire, and author of "Captain Beefheart.") http://home.earthlink.net/~philjohnston/fast.htm | www.garylucas.com 9:30pm, $20

      Mon, December 8
      VAN HUNT / PYENG THREADGILL
      Neo-soul artist Van Hunt brings his Atlanta groove in a sneak preview of songs from his forthcoming Capitol Records debut album which has already become a sensation on Santa Monica's influential radio station, KCRW. www.vanhunt.com
      New-blues-chanteuse Pyeng Threadgill steps it up with her ever evolving band. This sultry songbird delivers a sound that is at once reminiscent of the likes of Sade, Sam Cooke and Portishead. Performing her own cross-genre originals Pyeng blends trip-hop, Soul, world, Jazz, and alternative to a unique and addictive beat. www.pyeng.com 7pm, $8

      Mon, December 8
      Femme Mystique(tm): MARIA CHRISTENSEN, SASHA LAZARD & CHRISTINE LUCAS
      Lazard, Christensen and Lucas join forces in a live music concert called Femme Mystique(tm). These three independent women combine their own distinctive brands of exciting music with captivating feminine beauty. Femme Mystique(tm) was founded earlier this year by Christine Lucas in order to empower aspiring women singers in the ultra competitive world of the music industry. The concert affords like-minded women the opportunity to create the type of show that artists strive for individually, and by combining their professional resources, provides a platform to do so more effectively. 9pm, $15 cash at door

      Tues, December 9
      COREY HARRIS
      Ever since his debut release in 1995, singer/songwriter/guitarist Corey Harris remains one of the saviors of the acoustic blues tradition and expands the blues with flavors of contemporary music which range from Caribbean rhythms to mambo and reggae to ragtime. 7:30pm, $15 cash at door

      Tues, December 9
      BRAZILIAN GIRLS
      Brazilian Girls began playing weekly gigs at the East Village bar, NuBlu in the spring of 2003. What started off as a quiet Sunday night, has quickly turned into the talk of the town. Didi, an Argentinian, has recorded and toured with everyone from Bebel Gilberto to Roy Ayers to Lil' Louie Vega. He has recently won the "Best Instrumental Pop Record" Latin Grammy Award 2003 for "Bajo Fondo Tango Club", a compilation of Tango-Electronica. Sabina, born Italian-German, has trained in voice, piano and composition at various prestigious institutions. She can be heard singing on Me'shell Ndgedocello's upcoming album "Papillion" for Verve Records. Jesse and Aaron are both accomplished artists working out of New York since the early 90's. They have performed with old and young masters alike. No matter what their background, these four are elegant, seductive and raw -- they are Modern Art. 9:30pm, $10 cash at door

      Wed, December 10
      DAMIEN RICE
      7:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Thurs, December 11
      THEY ARE FINALLY GOING TO PLAY MY MUSIC: A BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE TO HECTOR BERLIOZ TO BENEFIT THE ACTORS' FUND
      The final words spoken by Hector Berlioz on his deathbed were: "They are finally going to play my music". To celebrate the 200th birthday of Berlioz, one of the most provocative and cutting-edge composers who ever lived, legendary impresario HARVEY LICHTENSTEIN will host a group of bold artists who will present Berlioz' music in ways it's never been heard before. Mezzo soprano SUSAN GRAHAM, pianists JED DISTLER and JEFFREY SWANN, the Brooklyn Saxophone Quartet as well as Kamikaze Ground Crew will join music writers JOHN ROCKWELL and TIM PAGE in an evening of performances and readings from the works of Hector Berlioz. At the end of the concert, the renowned psychic counselor Tom Eisele will reach out to Berlioz himself, and ask him to comment on this musical tribute. Proceeds from the concert, conceived and produced by Limor Tomer, will benefit The Actors' Fund, helping performing artists and their families with their various social, medical, emotional and financial battles. 7pm, $25

      Thurs, December 11
      MIKE ERRICO
      A native New Yorker, Errico grew up listening to R&B and soul music. "As a reward for going to the dentist, my parents would buy me records. I got to the point where I was loosening my own molars for Songs in the Key of Life - it's a double album, you know." It's not surprising, then, that Errico's vocals are inherently soulful, with a smooth and easy cadence. Often infused with clever humor and an underlying sense of hope, Errico's snapshots in the guise of pop songs are as undeniably insightful as they are instantly memorable. "[Mike] belongs to the younger generation, shredding folk styles with punk attitude" -New York Times. Mike's 4th record, Skimming, was released in late September on the Velour label. "If life had a soundtrack, Errico's Skimming would be one of those rare albums that would always have a place in the play list. He has created, truly, an album for almost any moment or mood." -Melisa Hickman www.errico.com | www.velourmusic.com 9:30pm, $12

      Fri, December 12
      PAULA POUNDSTONE
      Paula Poundstone is one of the most original and imaginative comedians in the country today, choosing honesty and in her own off-kilter worldview over anger and the usual gender-biased topics of relationships, diets, men or sex. Paula was among a handful of comics who came to prominence in the comedy-wild '80's whose talent was so genuine as to leave her standing when the craze finally ended. Her offbeat interpretations of everyday life, including the peaks and valleys of parenting, come from her own experiences and have led to an ever-increasing list of accomplishments. 7pm, $25 advance/$30 at door

      Fri, December 12
      MICHELLE SHOCKED
      By popular demand, activist and singer-songwriter Michelle Shocked returns to share her forever evolving style to Joe's Pub for an intimate acoustic evening with her fans. Shocked has consistently lived up to her name, surprising audiences with an originality and soul rarely surpassed. This earnest, passionate and rebellious icon celebrates her past present and future with her newest reissued double CD Short Sharped Shocked, and shares just a little more of what she has to offer. www.michelleshocked.com 9pm, $30

      Sat, December 13
      WADADA LEO SMITH'S GOLDEN QUARTET
      Trumpeter and composer Wadada Leo Smith has been an unsung pioneer on the improvising music scene since the late '60s. At 62, he is finally getting something akin to credit due for his thoughtful and patiently wrought musical ethos, a distinctive blend of improvisation, mysticism, revitalized blues and personalized theories that have crossed the line between jazz and contemporary music. His all star band, The Golden Quartet, though, should draw some much deserved attention. The music pivots upon the supple bass work of MALACHI FAVORS MAGHOSTUT, with JACK DeJOHNETTE adding gauze-like cymbal play and fluid rhythmic commentary. On his own, pianist ANTHONY DAVIS has composed multicultural ensemble works and Operas. The band's ethereal textures and incisive lyricism sound like no one else's. 7:30 & 9:30pm, $30

      Sun, December 14
      BETTY: Home for the Holidays
      7pm, $20 (see 12/7 above for details)

      Sun, December 14
      CAPATHIA JENKINS: Phenomenal Woman
      The Songs of LOUIS ROSEN
      Outstanding vocalist Capathia Jenkins and award-winning composer Louis Rosen launch their new collaboration with the world-premiere of two song cycles composed specifically for Capathia and Joe's Pub. Capathia has appeared on Broadway in The Look of Love and Civil War, and is currently featured in the new musical Caroline, Or Change here at the Public. Rosen's songs and theater music have been performed on and off-Broadway, at regional theaters around the country, and in cabarets around New York, including two previous evenings devoted to his songs at Joe's Pub. Joseph Thalken joins the collaboration as pianist. 9:30pm, $20

      Mon, December 15
      BOBBY CONN
      Resident rabble-rouser and perennial politi-prankster Bobby Conn is back in town to preview his newest and most pungent social indictment to date, upcoming masterpiece "The Homeland". Where 2001's "The Golden Age" sent suburban life straight to the laughing stocks, "The Homeland" declares its war on The War Against Terror (TWAT), and does it in style. Bobby's legendary shows are now even legendarier with the addition of a smoking new band, Chicago's ever mysterious Glass Gypsies. Stick it to The Man by coming on down and seeing for yourself... www.bobbyconn.com 7:30pm, $12

      Mon, December 15
      JOHN EPPERSON: Show Trash
      John Epperson: Show Trash musically and anecdotally follows the oddball career of John Epperson -- The Artist Principally Known as Lypsinka -- as Epperson plays the Joe's Pub piano and sings of a life that spans from a tiny town in Mississippi to American Ballet Theatre, from firetraps in the East Village to the runways of Paris, from the corporate boardrooms of Hollywood to his latest off-Broadway smash, "Lypsinka! As I Lay Lip-Synching"! David Finkle, cabaret critic for Backstage says Show Trash is "a funny, often touching autobiographical revue!" Special lyrics by Tom Orr; Directed by Barry Kleinbort. www.lypsinka.com 9:30pm, $15 advance/$20 at door

      Tues, December 16
      The New Yorker presents FICTION LIVE
      7:30pm, SOLD OUT

      Tues, December 16
      ALICE SMITH
      Lead singer from a New York favorite, Jolie Fuego, steps out with a new project based on straight ahead R&B mixed with Alice's sensational voice and personality. 10pm, $10 cash at door

      Wed, December 17
      EVERETT BRADLEY's TOY, His New Funky Holiday CD!
      Everett Bradley's newest project, an original Christmas record entitled, "TOY," is a joyous, funky, colorful collection of new Christmas tunes, some begging to become classics for the new millenium. Duets with Bon Jovi's Richie Sambora, siren Ann Hampton Callaway, and trumpet great Chris Botti round out this record. It is produced and co-written entirely by Everett, and is a personal triumph. Live, Everett delivers his toys with a 6 piece band, guest star soloists, kids, treats and a funky beat-all surrounded by the holiday spirit 7pm, $15

      Wed, December 17
      The RENE RISQUE AND THE ART LOVERS Christmas Show and Chanukah Too.
      We're not sure what will happen, but we know that Rene Risque will be giving the gift of himself. Come prepared to receive. Time Mag: "America's Best Lounge Act." NY Times: "High-Gloss Glam." NY Observer: "Hedwig if Hedwig had about eight more angry inches." TrendCentral.com: "Pure, Personal Drama." Nerve: "The last of the famous international playboys." Flaunt Mag: "Like a modern day siren, he will lead you down to your destruction." Liz Smith: "And I thought the spirit of Truman Capote and Tallulah Bankhead was lost to us." 9:30pm, $15

      Thurs, December 18
      NINA HAGEN: Talkschau
      feat. MAGGIE MOORE, THEO KOGAN of Lunachicks, RENE RISQUE and AMANDA LEPORE
      Already a hit in her native Germany, New Wave icon Nina Hagen's Talkschau is a live talkshow with musical guests and Nina as hostess. Brought to New York by producer Daniel Nardicio, this unique event is a must for Nina Hagen fans. With Fisherman's Xylophonic Orchestra, and a preview of Nina's new Big Band Explosion Album! 9:30pm, $25

      Fri, December 19
      CRASH TEST DUMMIES
      An intimate acoustic trio performance by Crash Test Dummies, celebrating the relase of their latest album, Puss 'n' Boots. Originally from Winnipeg, Canada, the band's unusually literate, eclectic brand of pop is characterized by whimsical, thoughtful and dryly humorous lyrics, creative musical arrangements and the unmistakable presence of lead singer Brad Roberts' distinctive voice. Opening act to be announced. "Chief lyricist and frontman Brad Roberts is the epitome of cool as he croons in his smooth baritone." -New York Post www.crashtestdummies.com 7pm, $23

      Fri, December 19
      TAMMY FAYE STARLITE's Christmas Crusade: Passion in the Manger
      Please join Miss Tammy Faye Starlite and her band, the Angels Of Mercy, as they joyfully celebrate the felicitous Noel, and honor His birthday by bringing Him the gift of freshly redeemed souls. The show is also part of a promotional campaign for Mel Gibson's magnificent upcoming epic film, "The Passion." (Portions of this concert are performed in Aramaic. Translations will be available upon request.) www.tammyfayestarlite.com 9:30pm, $15

      Sat & Sun, December 20 & 21
      VARLA JEAN MERMAN's Holiday Ham
      Varla Jean Merman, the six-foot-two, flame-tressed holiday hoofer has selected New York as the recipient of her annual Yuletide extravaganza, Varla Jean Merman's Holiday Ham! Varla has always believed that the holidays are a time to be with friends, so she's paying two people to join her in NYC: pianist extraordinaire Ricky Ritzel and downtown theatre star Maggie Moore who will appear as Ann-Margret! In Holiday Ham, Varla takes on the Grinch (and Shirley Bassey) in the explosive "Silver and Goldfinger," makes Barbra Streisand's "Jingle Bells" sound like Marie Osmond, and belts out a jaw-dropping (not to mention gown-dropping) version of Rosemary Clooney's classic "Suzy Snowflake." And what holiday show would be complete without the Harlem Boys Choir? Well, this one. This year, Manhattan will be singing "Varla-la-la-la!" Written by and starring Jeffery Roberson, directed by Michael Schiralli. www.varlaonline.com 12/20 @ 7:30 & 9:30pm, 12/21 @ 9:30pm, $22

      Sun, December 21
      BETTY: Home for the Holidays
      7pm, $20 (see 12/7 above for details)

      Mon, December 22
      LaCHANZE
      Tony-nominated actress LaChanze, known for her star turns on Broadway ("Ragtime," "Company," "Once on This Island"), and unequaled performances off-Broadway ("The Bubbly Black Girl Sheds Her Chameleon Skin," "The Vagina Monologues"), will bring her tremendous talents to the truly intimate setting of Joe's Pub. Jerry Dixon is director; with musical direction by Fred Carl. "With a smile as big as all outdoors, LaChanze, coos, cuddles and seduces her audiences with flirty abandon. All this, plus she sings like a meadowlark". -Variety www.lachanze.com 7 & 9:30pm, $20 advance/$25 at door

      Tues, December 23
      KATE'S CHINK-O-RAMA feat. the Chink-O-Rama Dancers
      The legendary funky urban Asian revue rings in the holidays with kick ass rock n roll parodies ("Rice Rice Baby", "My Boyfriend's Black" and "There's Gonna Be Trouble!"), hot Asian fly girls and wild edgy political comedy. Special this year, see MC Chink Daddy aka C. Diddy perform his air guitar solos that won him the 2003 world air guitar championship title in Finland!!! 7:30 & 9:30pm, $18

      Wed, December 24
      NICE JEWISH GIRLS GONA BAD II
      Better than Chinese take-out and a J-date gone wrong, it's a Christmas Eve that you'll never forget. Spend your hard earned Hannukah gelt on the chosen chicks who spent teen tour stoned off their ass as they bring ya' the very best in not-so kosher comedy, burlesque and drag. After last year's sold out performance at Joe's Pub which featured such memorable moments as stripping chassids and a JAP yoga demonstration, more "nice" Jewish girls came out of the woodwork and clamored for bad girl status. Confession were made, tales of bacon double cheeseburgers on Yom Kippur were told and we all found out what really happened in the parking lot during Temple Israel's All Night Bowling. Featuring a whole new cast of wayward girls to scintillate your holiday season: Goddess Perlman, Phat Man Dee, Rosewood (7:30 and 9:30 shows); Jessica Kirson, Cynthia Levin, Jen Lux, Raven Snook (7:30 only); and Little Brooklyn, Poppi Kramer, Jessi Klein, Ms. Delirium Tremens (9:30 only) Come get your dreidel spin on with the gals who drank all the Manischewitz and lit the wrapping paper on fire, on purpose...like you've never done that. 7:30 & 9:30pm, $15

      Fri, December 26
      HOLIDAY HANGOVER: THE AFTERMATH w/ Brandon Olson, Chris Tanner, Lance Cruce & Friends
      Nurse your post-holiday wounds with these downtown luminaries who brought you Ravaged by Romance at LaMama, Holly's Folly at the Dixon Place/HERE Arts Center Fuse Festival and last years Xmas Xtravaganza at Joe's Pub: Rebel Without A Claus! Singing! Dancing! Tits! Ass! And general post-yuletide Tom Foolery! Don't miss the intimate one night only show! 7:30pm, $10 cash at door

      Sat & Sun, December 27 & 28
      MELISSA FERRICK - Solo
      Known for her emotionally charged lyrics, and powerfully driven guitar work, Melissa Ferrick comes to Joe's Pub for two very special nights of intimate solo shows. Her latest album, Listen Hard, on her own Right On Records, is the most passionate and personally invested album Melissa has released to date. "A high-energy belter [with] stunning vocal finesse and an ability to play with syntax like Armatrading and Van Morrison." -Boston Globe www.melissaferrick.com 12/27: 7:30 & 9:30pm; 12/28: 9:30pm only, $20

      Sun, December 28
      BETTY: Home for the Holidays
      7pm, $20 (see 12/7 above for details)

      Mon, December 29
      THE DRESDEN DOLLS: Brechtian Punk Cabaret
      Combine the smoky cellars of a Weimar-era cabaret with the rock n' roll fury of Joan Jett, PJ Harvey and The Violent Femmes and you have a remote idea of what to expect when experiencing The Dresden Dolls. Ever since taking up arms in mid-2000, the uber-dynamic duo of Amanda Palmer (piano/vox) and Brian Viglione (drums) has been packing clubs in Boston, New York and beyond. Palmer accompanies her confessional story-songs with a thunderous and shimmering piano style that rests on the shoulders of Jerry Lee Lewis, Kurt Weill and Nina Simone. Viglione's jazz and hardcore influenced drums are the perfect foil, providing in turns a delicate cradle of rhythm and a piercing bed of nails onto which Palmer lays her twisted, raw and often humorous lyrics. 7:30pm, $10 cash at door

      Tues, December 30
      LEENA CONQUEST: Come Fly Away
      Steeped in the jazz tradition and full of all things soulful, recording artist Leena Conquest is a clever, unconventional standout. This Texas-born, global-bred chanteuse has captivated audiences from New York to London, Paris to Vienna. Her love affair with music has fueled a sensational fire. Billboard says, "[Conquest] exudes a world-wise quality and a unique phrasing style that instantly place her among the top-shelf singers." Come Fly Away is her latest CD that includes a special guest appearance by legendary vibesman Roy Ayers and pianist Mulgrew Miller. According to Nick Dedina at Listen.com, "The world is ready for another singer who can brew both Quiet Storms and jazzy Sunday morning teas. Don't miss the flight!" "...strikes with the sort of quality that's all too rare." -The Face 7:30pm, $12

      Tues, December 30
      ELISABETH WITHERS w/ special guest ROY BENNETT: Pre-New Year's Eve Bash
      Elisabeth Withers makes a much anticipated return to Joe's Pub. This time, celebrating a Pre-New Year's Eve bash with special guest Roy Bennett. This Rock, Soul Funk'n jewel is no joke. With a voice that hits you in the root of your spine and the back of your neck, this young organic jewel is coming at you with the experience that many veterans in the business can't think to touch. She's here to put the sweetness back into that down home taste of collard greens, and that "Oh My God" back into that side order of corn bread with a home grown style of vocal flavor. Special guest appearances to be expected. 9:30pm, $15

      Wed, December 31
      New Year's Eve with EARTHA KITT
      Once again, Joe's Pub celebrates New Year's Eve with a true legend of the stage and screen: the incomparable Eartha Kitt, direct from Broadway's "Nine", in an intimate one-night-only appearance, with musical direction by Daryl Waters. Last New Year's Eve was completely sold out - buy your tickets early! "Now in her fifth decade of making men nervous, Eartha Kitt still electrifies audiences with her one of a kind persona, peppering her flirty set with gold-digging songs about champagne, stretch limos, and pearls," said the Associated Press. "In an era when cabaret is mostly musty theater, Kitt's shows are fresh and vibrant - and increasingly being embraced by Gen-Xers." 8:30 & 11:30pm (doors at 7 & 10:30pm, respectively); $150 for 8:30 show / $200 for 11:30 show; restaurant will offer prix fixe dinner packages, and VIP seating with bottle service.
      *TICKETS FOR THIS EVENT ARE AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY BY CALLING 212.539.8778.

      Sat, January 3
      REBECCA MARTIN / KATE McGARRY
      Rebecca Martin began her career with her group Once Blue, touring the US with such artists as Emmylou Harris, Squeeze and Lilith Fair. Martin's latest solo effort, featuring some of her favorite standards, earned acclaim as one of 2002's top jazz records in The New York Times. "If [her music] is pop, it is pop that only a jazz musician could have thought of. It inhabits the various corners of the world occupied by Bill Frisell, Cassandra Wilson and Norah Jones." -Ben Ratliff, New York Times. Her upcoming CD "People Behave Like Ballads" will be released on MAXJAZZ in May of 2004.
      Kate McGarry's sultry and sophisticated jazz vocals display both a reverence for traditional form and a flair for innovative styling. With her new CD "Show Me," Kate becomes the first jazz vocalist to be signed to the prestigious Palmetto Records label. "NYC jazz vocalist Kate McGarry is a name to know, a superb stylist resistant to predictability or shtick. As heard on her new CD, "Show Me," she restores faith in the art of jazz singing..." -Josef Woodard www.katemcgarry.com | www.rebeccamartin.com 7pm, $15

      Mon, January 5
      CHESTER GREGORY / SHOSHANA BEAN (from Hairspray)
      Hairspray's Chester Gregory and Shoshana Bean perform songs from their own projects (including Chester's CD "Morning Starr") as well as cover tunes. Chester Gregory, currently on broadway in Hairspray appearing in the principal role of Seaweed J. Stubbs, is best known for his recent award winning performance as the legendary Jackie Wilson in the Black Ensemble Theatre's production of The Jackie Wilson Story. With a five octave vocal range has been compared to that of Donnie Hathaway, Eric Benet and Prince, he has worked with a myriad of gospel choirs and R&B groups, writing, producing and arranging (under the name Ahdae), and opening for the renowned gospel duet of BeBe and CeCe Winans, R&B group Silk, and pop sensation TLC. "[Gregory] ...puts on a show of such physical and vocal dexterity that it's almost impossible to imagine that anyone else could do it." -New York Times www.chestergregory.net
      Currently appearing on Broadway in Hairspray in the role of Shelley, Shoshana Bean performed on national tour of Leader of the Pack and Off-Broadway in Godspell (cast album). She also performed back-up vocals for Michael Jackson's 30th Anniversary Concert and is a member of Broadway Inspirational Voices. "Bean has an unbelievable voice that is thrilling in its beauty, theatricality and sheer power." - Showbusinessweekly.com 7pm, $15

      Wed, January 7
      JEN CHAPIN BAND
      Gearing up for the February release of her new album Linger (Hybrid Recordings), "first rate storyteller" (JazzTimes) Jen Chapin creates a rich tapestry of deep grooves and spacious textures with some of NYC's finest jazz/pop players. Allaboutjazz.com has written: "Chapin delivers probing lyrics in a strong, endearing voice; on stage she's remarkably at ease...the songs are simple, with absorbing frameworks that shine a light on the masterful subtlety of each player." "Like [Cassandra] Wilson, Chapin has one of those voices with which you could easily fall in love, a voice with which you want to curl up and get cozy..." -The Berkshire Eagle. www.jenchapin.com 7:30pm, $15

      Wed, January 7
      RACHELLE GARNIEZ & the Fortunate Few and Friends: CD Release
      NYC's own "Diva with a Difference" celebrates the release of her third CD, "Luckyday" (Real Cool Records). Rachelle will be performing with her wonderful band the Fortunate Few, featuring Matt Munisteri (guitar), Dave Hofstra (bass) & Barbara Merjan (drums). Super-special invited guests will be sitting in, promising to make the evening a truly spectacular event. www.rachellegarniez.com 9:30pm, $12

      Thurs, January 8
      SUSSAN DEYHIM: Vocadelics
      Iranian-born, NY-based vocalist Sussan Deyhim performs Vocadelics, a special solo program of experimental and film music featuring live vocals and backing tracks, originally conceived in collaboration with Bobby McFerrin, which has been performed to great acclaim at theaters and museums worldwide. Born in Teheran to an old aristocratic family, Deyhim left Iran at the revolution to pursue a career that has spanned the gamut of dance with the Bejart Ballet, to composing for motion pictures, to becoming a major force in World music, creating a unique synthesis that marries the strains of traditional Middle Eastern music with cutting edge technology and very progressive sensibility. Deyhim has recorded with some of the most cutting edge musical minds of the day, such as Ornette Coleman, Peter Gabriel and Bill Laswell, and recently served as star and co-composer of the multi-media theatrical production of Logic of the Birds, a collaboration with fellow New York-based Iranian filmmaker Shirin Neshat and others. Deyhim's catalogue of CD's includes solo albums, a collaboration with Richard Horowitz, and appearances on the soundtracks of the Any Given Sunday, and Unfaithful. "...an overpowering presence. Her wordless incantations are amplified in harmonized layers and recycled into sampled loops, beckoning you into this virtual desert ritual." -Billboard www.sussandeyhim.com 7:30pm, $20

      Thurs, January 8
      LUCIA PULIDO
      Following the release of Cantos Religiosos y paganos de Colombia (Intuition), vocalist Lucia Pulido and percussionist Satoshi Takeishi offer songs from their repertoire of traditional Colombian music along with a sampling of their recent collaboration with composer Ivan Benavides (Bloque, Sidestepper, Carlos Vives), joined by cellist Erik Friedlander and others. A dynamic fusing of traditional sounds with minimalist textures and electronic manipulation, the mood of the new work is more layered and complex, more ethereal, more spatial, and yet at the same time very earthy and Colombian. Drawing attention to her "gutsy" voice, The New York Times ways that, "Ms. Pulido holds on to the rawness of the original melodies while giving them a sophisticated new context." Featuring Satoshi Takeishi, Erik Friedlander, Tsutomu Takeishi & Adam Kolker.9:30pm, $15

      Fri, January 9
      RAUL MIDON
      The buzz is growing into a roar for multi-instrumentalist Raul Midon, "a Must See Performer!" (The Miami Herald) who straddles soul, pop & jazz, with a hair-raising voice and dazzling guitar technique that has been blowing minds everywhere he performs, including shared bills include dates with artists as diverse as Bebel Gilberto, Jeff Beck, Cesaria Evora, Donnie, Kaki King, Willy Porter and Sam Moore (of Sam and Dave) at venues ranging from The Kennedy Center to the Beacon Theater to BAM. At a Carnegie Hall performance at this summer's JVC Jazz Festival, Midon "stopped the show with his horn scats and melisma on Stevie Wonder's "Make Sure You're Sure" (Newsday). Midon has performed with artists varying from Shakira to Chaka Khan, sang background vocals on 60 records and most recently, has been featured on DJ/Producer Louie Vega's record Elements of Life. "His style is a febrile amalgam of Stevie Wonder vocals, feel-good pop songwriting, sophisticated jazz harmonies and a ferociously aggressive way of playing acoustic guitar." -Washington Post www.midon.com 7pm, $12

      Fri, January 9
      THE BAD PLUS with special guests GUTBUCKET
      The Bad Plus -- bassist Reid Anderson, pianist Ethan Iverson, and drummer David King -- are three post-modern jazz iconoclasts who combine keen wit, dynamic musical contrasts, and an original sensibility in what's been called "the loudest piano trio ever." Drawing inspiration from dance music, pop and rock, and peppering their compelling originals with covers of Nirvana, Aphex Twin and Blondie, The Bad Plus deconstruct their influences in a steadfastly pure jazz idiom all their own. Their celebrated Tchad Blake-produced major label debut, With These Are The Vistas, (Columbia) is riddled with mayhem, startling surgical precision and rhythmic abandon. The Washington Post declares, "These Are the Vistas isn't just a breath of fresh air -- it's a tornado. If you want to know where jazz is headed next, look here." "It's an equilateral chamber group that merges jazz, pop, and the conservatory in a heady and original way, accessible and seriously playful" - The Village Voice www.villagevoice.com/issues/0310/giddins.php | www.thebadplus.com
      Punk-jazz-kerzoom with Gutbucket's The Wallace & Gromit Project live, with film! Gutbucket has created its own soundtrack to Nick Park's claymation shorts, featuring a set of animation fun with a kick - live musical accompaniment beside the big screen. This genre-destroying gang of shapeshifters uses an onstage mixing board to incorporate movie dialogue into their dynamic re-scored versions of these ground-breaking works. Already performed in NYC and Brooklyn, NY; Halle, Germany; and Vienna, Austria, this event will be presented at the St. Louis Center for Contemporary Art in April 2004 and will tour throughout 2004-5. www.gutweb.com 9pm, $20

      Sat, January 10
      GlobalFEST
      Pay one price for an evening-long festival of contemporary and traditional music from five continents, with a remarkable continuous line-up of artists performing short sets on three stages at The Public Theater, including Joe's Pub, the Anspacher Theater and Martinson Hall. The line-up showcases established stars and important NYC debuts, and includes DIEGO AMADOR (Spain); CYRO BAPTISTA & BEAT THE DONKEY (Brazil/US); MERCAN DEDE & SECRET TRIBE (Turkey /Canada); GLOBESONIC (US); KAYHAN KALHOR (Iran); MARCEL KHALIFE (Lebanon/France); LES YEUX NOIR (Rom/France); TANIA LIBERTAD (Peru/Mexico); VUSI MAHLASELA (South Africa); MARIZA (Portugal); EMELINE MICHEL (Haiti/US); RAUL PAZ (Cuba/France); SUSHEELA RAMAN (UK); RAJERY (Madagascar); SAVINA YANNATOU & SALONICA EN PRIMAVERA (Greece). All artists and schedule subject to change, and admission to each venue/showcase is on a first-come/first served basis, subject to capacity. GlobalFEST is part of the annual Arts Presenters (APAP) conference, and is a co-production of The Public Theater, World Music Institute and World Music/Crash Arts, Boston with the support of the Cultural Services of the French Embassy to the U.S. Savina Yannatou is appearing with the generous support of the Ministry of Culture in Greece.
      www.rockpaperscissors.biz/go/globalFEST www.frenchculture.org 8pm, $40

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

      Message 68 of 68 , Nov 4, 2004
            "I will sing to those who will listen.  It is important to talk to the convinced.  I am often asked if when Sweet Honey sings, "Aren't you singing to yourself?"  The progressive community of this country is one of the most fragile in the world.  We suffer from illusions of being in greater shape than we are because we think it follows that if we are Americans, we must be great!  We are in great need of understanding our vulnerability, our need for validation, maintenance, nurturing and celebration.  We need to learn how to be longtimers and not forever be limited by operating ahistorically and responding to crisis after crisis..."
            "...It is important to gather together to nurture and feed as a community committed to being a presence in a society beyond our own meager lives.  When moving in new territories as an organizer I use the model I learned in the Black church and as a field secretary for SNCC.  First, there is a home base; there is a place that you can go back to for shelter, rest, and re-orientation.  It is from there that you move into the world offering your message and work sometimes to people who will throw rocks at you, throw you in jail, or slam doors in your face.  Facing the work of this intensity, we do not have to apologize for needing to return to home base.  There must be a strategy for going out, organizing, speaking and raising issues and then coming into yourself and your community for a check-in.  It is important to have a safety zone to refuel where you can eat your dinner with others who will understand and will protect your need to be vulnerable."
            - Dr. Bernice Johnson Reagon (Sweet Honey in the Rock) from her Foreword "Nurturing Resistance" to Reimagining America: The Arts of Social Change

        I just came back from the WOMEX conference in Germany, where I was completely energized by being party of an international community of people who were celebrating the diverse cultural contributions of people who draw from their local roots and send them out to the world.  To a person, every conversation that came up with a non-American pleaded for the US to do the right thing with this election.  It's shocking that Americans are so out of touch from world opinion, (or worse, that they are in touch with it and simply don't care) that they (re)-elected this administration.  I try to console myself with the knowledge that the Northeast of the US, which I call my home, rejected Bush soundly, and in Manhattan and the Bronx, Bush received less than 17% of the vote. I also console myself with the knowledge that over 600 of you came out to see Tinariwen, a Tuareg guitar band, maybe just to shut me up and stop nagging, but also because we have a curiosity and openness to different cultural expressions.  Thanks to all the incredible media support and friends who spread the word on this one.  it was an amazing send-off, and reaffirms why I do what I do.  While I am profoundly disappointed with my country, I am proud of my community.  In these days and years ahead, we must continue to return to our "home base" to be refueled and energized by the creative spirits which surround us, so that we can continue to fight against the oppressive regime that is causing so much damage to our country and to the world.

        So, in the spirit of returning to home base and refueling, we are thrilled to have Dr. Reagon's daughter, Toshi Reagon, a warrior herself, performing for two shows on Saturday night.  Toshi led the orchestra for the recent production of her mother's collaboration with Robert Wilson, The Temptation of St. Anthony at BAM, featuring lots of Joe's Pub faves including Carl Hancock Rux and Helga Davis, and we all know how incendiary and celebratory Toshi's concerts can be.  Come expecting to be refueled, and reenergized with a spirit of love and righteous anger.  And don't be surprised if it's a family affair at the early set.

        A few other notes, and I want to hit send, cause I know you all missed getting this last week while I was away.  It's more important than ever to keep an international perspective, so we don't get too myopic these days, so I am going to particularly mention some shows that take a global perspective.  Before I go there, let me steer you to the newly renovated Joe's Pub website - now with searchability by artist, date, genre, keyword - lots easier to find what you are looking for and buy tix, and we got some photos and press quotes - all kinds of goodies.  It's still a work in progress, and the email blast is next on the hit list, so look forward to getting your feedback. visist www.publictheater.org .

        Brazilian Music!  Unfortunately, tomorrow night's show with Monica Salmaso, which was on track to selling out, had to be cancelled due to illness.  We are looking for someone to play tomorrow night at 9:30, but no one confirmed yet. We'll try to get her back next time she comes to the US.

        We have added a few great Brazilian shows - Rob Curto, accordionist formerly of Forro in the Dark, has a great new forro band, and will be joined by several exponents of Nordestino styles, including Scott Kettner of Maracatu NY and Nation Beat and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho - expect a hardcore Brazilian dance party of baiao, coco and maracatu rhythms on Monday, November 15. On Sunday, November 21, the incredible Brazilian soul singer Ed Motta will perform two shows - he's a star in Brazil, and a concert I produced at Central Park SummerStage, where he opened for one of his idols, Roy Ayers, and ended up collaborating on about 4 songs, goes down as one of the favorite shows I've worked on.  He's an amazing talent, and if you know a Brazilian music or rare groove/soul fan, just ask them - this one is essential.  Finally, on Nov 24, the Brazilian indie-pop duo Mosquitoes finally make their way to Joe's Pub.  We've been trying to get them here for a while, and are thrilled it's finally happening.

        Mexico Now!  Joe's Pub is proud to be a part of Arts International's citywide celebration of contemporary Mexican performing and visual arts, and for our part, we have some of the finest in Mexican alternative and electronic music.  On Monday, November 15, Monterrey's Plastilina Mosh make a rare NYC appearance, bringing a sound that has been described as "the Beastie Boys meets Beck meets Cafe Tacuba".  They will do two shows at 9:30 and 11:30 . The following Monday, we present the NY debut of two groups from Guadalajara's Nopal Beat movement - Sweet Electra and God is My Name - Nopal Beat is to Guadalajara what Nortec is to Tijuana, with a bit more of a downtempo and deep house flavor.  And just added, one of our favorites, Ely Guerra, who celebrates her new record Sweet and Sour, Hot y Spicy .  Ely's previous solo shows at Joe's Pub have been magical, and we look forward to finally seeing her here with the full band.  Special thanks to Arts International, KCRW radio and La Banda Elastica for their support.

        Roots reggae!  We don't have a chance to present live reggae as much as we'd want, and are thrilled to have one of roots reggae's finest exponents - Morgan Heritage, in a special intimate show celebrating their newest album - their gospel inflected harmonies, and conscious messages are positive and uplifting.  Tickets are close to sold out, so don't wait.  Next Wednesday, Sally Timms, of the Mekons fame, brings her countrified solo project along with Johnny Dowd, followed by the Irish pub rocker Joe Hurley with his all-star band the Gents :James Mastro (Ian Hunter, John Cale), Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), Kenny Margolis (Cracker).  And Saturday, Nov 13, Pharaoh's Daughter brings you on a pan-Mediterranean journey.

        And speaking of global journeys, I had the great pleasure of spinning in two European countries last week - Fabian and I brought the GlobeSonic party to Essen's Salsoteca last Wednesday, as an unofficial kick-off to WOMEX, and it was a great place to gather all our friends together before the conference kicked into full gear, and show off our new visuals from Casey Meade of Projectile Arts.  Special thanks to Christine, Alexander and Jan of WOMEX for helping set it up.  I also stopped through London on my way back, and at the last minute, Jonathan Walton of Oi Va Voi invited me down to spin with him at a great party, Costa Urbana at the Notting Hill Arts Club - great room, great crowd, great vibe, and felt frightfully like our home at nublu.  It was a terrific way to unwind from the conference craziness, and inspired by the rocking last day set by Mahala Rai Banda, I focused on Gypsy brass bands, and horn-drenched banda/cumbia/reggaeton jams, and I was very happy to see our good friends Susheela Raman and Sam Mills stop by to say hey.

        Speaking of nublu, GlobeSonic will be back for the next in our monthly residency at Nublu on Saturday, November 13, and you can be sure I'll be dropping a bunch of new tracks I picked up last weekend - just going through the dozens of Cd's I picked up and already discovered some gems to share.  And we'll also have a special live set by Real Live Show, in a special birthday set. Real Live, who will be at Joe's Pub on November 30, bring a high energy show with two dope MC's Stimulus and Dionysus, backed by some of the funkiest instrumentalists on the NY scene. They've got a new CD Class Is In Session, released on Studio Distribution, now available at fine stores nationwide and online at www.studiodistribution.com/artist.php?id=67222   We look forward to seeing what sparks fly when we bring our two crowds together.

        GlobeSonic
        Resident DJ's: Acidophilus and Derek Beres (and Fabian Alsultany in absentia this month)
        Live set from Real Live Show
        Saturday, November 13
        10 pm - close
        $5, free with email
        nublu
        62 ave c (between 4th and 5th Streets)
        NYC - a blue city in a blue state

        Lastly, those of you who get my e-blasts regularly know what I think of the brilliant songwriter Stew, who has made himself an artistic home at The Public Theater.  Not only do we present him in Joe's Pub and at the Joe's Pub in the Park at the Delacorte, but we have also commissioned a theater piece, which he is currently developing.  Stew spent a few weeks this summer at the Sundance Theater Lab, where we was the hit of Park City, and he's coming back to NY in week, to my old stomping grounds at Symphony SpaceStew will be bringing his entire 8 piece band to New York for the first time, playing songs never before performed in New York. Selections will be played from all of his 8 albums (including The Negro Problem!). A must see show for old-school fans and new ones alike. Musical co-direction by Heidi Rodewald. Two completely different shows: 7:30 and 9:30. Buy tix to both and receive a free drink!

        Tickets: $21; Seniors, Students: $18
        Venue: Leonard Nimoy Thalia; 95th street and Broadway

        Tix: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=411&pid=5380672

        And Symphony Space has offered a special deal to people on my list: Buy a full-price ticket to one show and mention discount code TMUSTEW and receive a $10 ticket to the second show!

        Stew is an amazing writer and performer, and his music is filled with humor, anger, pain, joy and insight.  These shows should be very special.  Hope to see you there.

        All the best,

        Bill Bragin
        Director of Joe's Pub
        The Public Theater
        425 Lafayette Street
        New York, NY  10003

        t/ 212.539.8512
        f/ 212.539.8505
        e/ bbragin@...
        www.joespub.com

        "This will be our reply to violence:
        to make music more intensely,
        more beautifully,
        more devotedly than ever before."

        Leonard Bernstein

        YOUR LAST CHANCE TO SEE LIES, CORRUPTION AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!
        DIRTY TRICKS
        By John Jeter, directed by Margaret Whitton, with Judith Ivey
        BOOK YOUR TICKETS TODAY! MUST CLOSE ON SUNDAY! Full info at bottom of email.
        .
        Joe's Pub Schedule of Events

        *********************Joe's Pub Schedule of Events*********************
        Visit our website at: www.JoesPub.com
        Location: 425 Lafayette Street between East 4th St. & Astor Place.
        Take N train to Broadway & 8th St. or 6 train to Astor Place.
        For information & reservations please call 212.539.8778
        or, for Telecharge listed events call 212.239.6200.

        For show descriptions for the upcoming month, and weekly late night events, see below.

        *** = newly-added show
        -----
        ASLYN / Thurs, November 4 [SOLD OUT]

        E.S.T. / Thurs, November 4

        Monica Salmaso / Fri, November 5

        Isaac Mizrahi / Fridays, November 5 & 12

        Toshi Reagon & Big Lovely / Sat, November 6

        Susan Egan in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series / Sun, November 7

        Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests Charles Busch and Michael Musto / Sun, November 7

        Cerveris / Uncle Moon / Mon, November 8

        The Petersons / Mon, November 8

        Blood of Haiti/New World Movement Benefit for Relief Victims of Haiti / Mon, November 8

        Morgan Heritage: Full Circle CD Release / Tues, November 9

        Ihsan / Heston / Tues, November 9

        Sally Timms / Johnny Dowd / Wed, November 10

        Joe Hurley / Wed, November 10

        URB Magazine Private Party feat. Medusa, Airborne Audio, Jean Grae, DJ Kool Marv / Wed, November 10

        Vienna Teng w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm) / Thurs, November 11

        Isaac Mizrahi / Fri, November 12

        Eric Andersen/ Fri, November 12

        Adam Pascal: Civilian CD Release / Sat, November 13 [SOLD OUT - 2nd show added 11/27]

        Pharaoh's Daughter / Sat, November 13

        The Peace Within Concert feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel & Jean Feraca / Sun, November 14

        Katie Elevitch w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax / Sat, November 14

        Rob Curto's Forró Party Band: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) & Jorge Martins (Cascabulho) / Mon, November 15

        KCRW.COM Presents:
        Plastilina Mosh (part of the Mexico Now Festival) / Mon, November 15

        The Just for Laughs Experience 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias, The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt / Tues, November 16

        Hot Karl: Before I Get Famous / Tues, November 16

        Glen Phillips with special guest Kyle Riabko / Wed, November 17

        ***Lord Have Mercy album release party feat. Pumpkinhead, Wordsworth, Punch and DJ J. Period / Wed, November 17

        Ian McLagan (of Small Faces) & The Bump Band / Thurs, November 18

        Kelly Joe Phelps / Thurs, November 18

        Richard Shindell with special guest Eliza Gilkyson / Fri and Sat, November 19-20

        Marion LoGuidice / Fri, November 19

        Odetta / Sat, November 20

        Ed Motta / Sun, November 21

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 22 & 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        Sweet Electra and God is My Name (part of Mexico Now festival) / Mon, November 22

        Rich Price / Tues, November 23

        The Shorebirds / Tues, November 23

        Marta Topferova / Marta Gomez / Wed, November 24

        Mosquitos / Wed, November 24

        ***Francis Dunnery and David Sancious / Sat, November 26

        Brian Vander Ark / Fri, November 26

        Adam Pascal: Civilian / Sat, November 27

        Res / Sat, November 27

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, November 29, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        ***Ely Guerra [part of the Mexico Now Festival] / Sun, November 28

        Edison Woods / Sarah Slean / Tues, November 30

        The Real Live Show / Tues, November 30

        Nancy Sinatra / Wed, December 1

        Fleurine feat. Jesse van Ruller & special guest Brad Mehldau: Fire CD Release / Thurs, December 2

        Tony Joe White / Thurs, December 2

        Luciana Souza: Celebrating Neruda / Sat, December 4

        Juliana Hatfield / Sat, December 4

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 6, 13, 20 & 27

        The Luminescent Orchestrii and Choir / Mon, December 6

        Isle of Klezbos / Tues, December 7

        BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet / Tues, December 7

        Raul Midon / Wed, December 8

        Keren Ann / Wed, December 8

        Nora York / Thurs, December 9

        ***Pheobe Legere: How the Accordian Saved the World / Thurs, December 9

        Lina Koutrakos / Fri, December 10

        One Ring Zero w/ special guests Rick Moody, Jonathan Ames, AM Homes & more / Fri, December 10

        Howard Fishman / Sat, December 11

        Rene Risque & The Art Lovers: The Annual Christmas Show and Hanukkah, Too / Sat, December 11

        Dan Moses Schreier and Dan Hurlin: The Shoulder CD Release / Sun, December 12

        ***Lapis Lazuli feat. Kurt Wolf (of Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, and Foetus Inc.) with special guest Retada / Sun, December 12

        Heather Greene / Mon, December 13

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 13, 20 & 27

        ***North Star Fund's 25th Anniversary Kickoff feat. William Cepeda and his International Septet / Tues, December 14

        YahZarah / Kameko: Evolutionary Alternative / Tues, December 14

        Jane Siberry w/ special guest Adrienne Pierce / Wed - Fri, December 15 - 17

        Tammy Faye Starlite: Tammy Does Loretta / Thurs, December 16

        BETTY: Snowbiz / Fri - Sun, December 17 - 19

        Mike Errico Holiday Show / Sat, December 18

        ***Jamie McGonnigal Presents: Miracle on Lafayette
        An Evening to Benefit God's Love We Deliver / Sun, December 19

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mondays, December 20 & 27

        Imani Uzuri: Winter Solstice Holiday Concert / Mon, December 20

        Easter Rising written by Michael Arden / Tues, December 21

        Heeb Storytelling with Todd Barry, Jill Sobule and more / Wed, December 22

        Jackie Hoffman and Kristine Zbornik: Together Again for the First Time / Mon, December 27

        ***Steve Forbert / Sat & Sun, January 1 & 2

        ***Chris Smither / Fri, January 7

        globalFEST, feat. Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Eva Ayllon, Juana Molina, Lokua Kanza, Mory Kante, Noche Flamenca, feat. Soledad Barrio & Martin Santangelo, Ollabelle, Paris Combo, Rokia Traore, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Warsaw Village Band, Yoshida Brothers & DJ Rekha / Sat, January 8

        Antony and the Johnsons / Sun, January 9

        Marlo Marron / Sun, January 16

        Carolyn Hudson: Living In My Skin CD Release / Mon, January 17

        Katie Melua / Wednesday, January 19

        Lucy Kaplansky / Thursday-Friday, January 20-21

        Min Xiao-Fen: The Blue Pipa Trio Celebrates the Year of the Rooster / Sat, January 22

        ***Ralph's World / Sun, February 6

        ***Rhonda Vincent / Jim Lauderdale / Fri, March 18
        ----------

        UPCOMING PERFORMANCE DESCRIPTIONS
        Thurs, November 4
        ASLYN
        7pm, SOLD OUT

        Thurs, November 4
        E.S.T.
        E.S.T. (the Esbjörn Svensson Trio) is phenomenal, acclaimed by Downbeat as "one of the hottest jazz acts in Europe today." A jazz trio, which sees itself as a pop band that plays jazz, E.S.T. breaks with the tradition of leader and sidemen in favor of equality within its members. Playing rock venues as well as the usual jazz clubs, in their native Sweden their music can be found in the pop-charts and their videos playing on MTV Scandinavia. Openness, curiosity, and a little bit of chance are all a part of pianist Esbjörn Svensson's artistic foundation. With their unique soundscape, combining jazz with drum 'n' bass, electronic elements, funk, and pop and rock as well as European Classical music, E.S.T.'s audience spans from the classic jazz-fans to the youngest Hip Hop fans. The 2002 release "Strange Place for Snow" has broken all records as far as awards are concerned: The German Jazz Award, the German Critics Award for "Best Jazz Album of the Year", the Guiness Jazz in Europe Award, the Choc l'annee by the French Jazzman magazine, and the Victoire de la Musique (French Grammy) in the category "Best International Act" proving that this band is "the trio of the decade" (London Times). Their latest album Seven Days of Falling is proving to be another sensation. "Toeing a surprisingly fine line between acoustic-jazz accessibility and electronic-music ingenuity, E.S.T. is a forward-thinking Swedish trio that adds subtle, dark ambient texture (and then some) to the traditional piano-trio format...well-constructed tunes with catchy, often-lilting melodies...they bring in some simple folk music balladry, add some classical music complexity, and even touch on the creeping influence of electro rock à la Radiohead." -Amazon www.hopper-management.com 9:30pm, $15 advance/$20 at door

        Fridays, November 5 & 12
        ISAAC MIZRAHI
        "Isaac is a fabulous singer and a consummate musician." -Mrs. Sarah Mizrahi.
        Following the success of his recent appearances at Joe's Pub, featured on his show on Oxygen TV, fashion designer and TV personality Isaac Mizrahi sings his head off for four special fall shows. Featuring jazz pianist and rising star Ben Waltzer and his quintet, it's not something you can afford to miss. www.target.com 7:30pm, $20

        Fri, November 5
        MONICA SALMASO
        With beauty and rapport as her primary criteria, Monica Salmaso, the lyric soul of Brazil, demonstrates that she is an artist who not only strives to reach the audience, to move it emotionally, but who also does so with only the finest material. Part of what sets Salmaso apart is her canny choice of material, with an emphasis on ballads that showcase her "gorgeous, quintessentially Brazilian voice." -New York Times. She draws her repertoire from many of Brazil's greatest songwriters, such as Dorival Caymmi, Chico Buarque, Djavan, Ary Barroso, though some of her most effective pieces are folk songs that she renders timeless. At a time when many Brazilian music lovers are worried about the rise of throw away pop music dominating the radio, Salmaso shows that there's still plenty of room on the airwaves for beauty. "Her voice is a fluent and beautifully colored instrument." -Billboard www.monicasalmaso.mus.br 9:30pm, $20

        Sat, November 6
        TOSHI REAGON & BIG LOVELY
        Singer Toshi Reagon calls to mind classic R&B artists, like Stevie Wonder or Prince, and old school rock groups like Led Zeppelin; she can take any style, update it, and make it her own with incredible ease. Despite (or because of) her genre-bending, Toshi fits comfortably on a stage with any of the Lilith artists, at Carnegie Hall, in a dirty rock club or in a hip, downtown boite. Of her innovative rock crossed with soul-influenced, blues-tinged folk, Interview magazine raved, "Anyone who thinks rock is a dead medium need only listen to the music of Toshi Reagon and her almighty band Big Lovely." Most people would just tell you that to truly understand how Toshi can seamlessly transcend all of these genres, you have to check her out live. "Oh, that voice ...devotees know they've born witness to one of the great voices of this generation." -Village Voice www.toshireagon.com 7:30 & 9:30pm, $20

        Sun, November 7
        SUSAN EGAN in Concert: BroadwayWorld's Front and Center Series
        7pm, SOLD OUT

        Sun, November 7
        Cause Celeb! How To: Advice From The Stars! with special guests CHARLES BUSCH and MICHAEL MUSTO
        CAUSE CELEB! is a cult downtown hit alternative cabaret series that features interpretive readings of celebrity autobiographies. Created by Nancy Balbirer and Charlotte Booker, each themed evening draws from the most sensational (and often salacious) passages of starry tomes, to
        hilariously dramatic effect. November 7th's theme is HOW TO: ADVICE FROM THE STARS! and includes sage tidbits from some of Hollywood's Greats, Near-Greats and Not-So-Greats. Learn how to have the perfect bowel movement from Marilu Henner! Jot down diet tips from Liz Taylor! Impress friends with Tommy Lee's rules for pleasuring a woman and much, much more! Come see the show Next Magazine proclaimed "Easily the most fabulous 'must-see' of New York nightlife!" With seven performers including Ms. Balbirer and Ms. Booker, and special guest stars Charles Busch (as Arlene Dahl) and Michael Musto (as Paris Hilton). 9:30pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        CERVERIS / UNCLE MOON
        Singer/songwriter Michael Cerveris' career straddles the disparate worlds of theatre and indie rock. Tonight, joined by a powerful rock band plus string quartet, Cerveris focuses on material from his ferocious and fragile solo debut album, dog eared, which "...turns pathos into pop redemption" (Amplifier). The Tony Award-winning actor and rock musician Cerveris -- former frontman of British band Retriever (Hinterlands) and the U.S. group Lame, as well as touring guitarist/vocalist on Bob Mould's '98 US/UK "Dog and Pony Show" sojourn -- originated the title role in the Broadway hit Tommy and in the late 90s, he starred in the smash cult hit Hedwig and the Angry Inch on London's West End, in New York Off-Broadway, and in Los Angeles, and most recently, on Broadway in Sondheim and Weidman's "Assassins". On his new deeply personal and passionate album, recorded with friends including Corin Tucker and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney, Laura Cantrell, The Posies' Ken Stringfellow and Sonic Youth's Steve Shelley, Cerveris highlights his versatile hook-filled songwriting, emotionally resonant vocals and subtle arrangements. "...this is the very model of the modern Breakup Record.with its emphasis on acoustic guitars, uncertain melodies and hushed, tremulous singing, Dog Eared most recalls the work of the late Elliott Smith." -Time Out NY www.cerveris.com
        Uncle Moon weaves an eclectic variety of music drawing on the unique possibilities of instrumentation consisting of guitar, accordion, violin, saxophone and double bass and as a result has been called everything from "Kurt Weill at the Grand Ol' Opry" to "the closest that performance art music has come to moonshine." Performing special arrangements of material by a melange of artists that include Django Rheinhardt, Thelonius Monk, Velvet Underground, and The Butthole Surfers, as well as their impressive original material Uncle Moon provides a sound experience that audiences will not soon forget. 7pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        THE PETERSONS
        The Petersons, upstate New York's favorite rock and roll family, are back to blow the roof off Joe's Pub. The metaphorical roof, that is...the actual roof's far too valuable. The Petersons are Adam Stein, Keira Naughton, Matt Saldivar, Evan Robertson and Pete Simpson, and they always come prepared with a completely new show and surprise special guests. Previous drop-ins include Academy Award winner Paul Newman, Tony Award winners James Naughton and Robert Sean Leonard, Emmy Award nominee Michael C. Hall, superstar John Cameron Mitchell, and many many more. Described by The New York Times as "a hipster theater mock-rock group with a devoted following," The Petersons will bring you the gift of laughter, the gift of musical bliss, and most important of all...the gift of eternal salvation. If you don't believe it, come on down and see for yourself. "One of the funniest, most original shows in town" -Time Out New York 9:30pm, $15

        Mon, November 8
        BLOOD OF HAITI/NEW WORLD MOVEMENT BENEFIT FOR RELIEF VICTIMS OF HAITI
        Haitian Hip Hop Artists come together Jules, Mecca, Martilee, Negnoir Army, Lyon Paw, Ella Turenne and others. Hosted by Won-G. And a screening of documentary by Danny Glover: "Sove Nou".
        The First Land Movement is an organization aimed at working to bring the hip hop community together to raise support for issues concerning the world community. The movement's ultimate goal is to help raise money that will buy food, books and other supplies to help rebuild communities across the Globe. The First Land Movement will raise awareness through benefit concerts, rallies, fundraisers and other events. Performances, however, are just one aspect of raising money for these causes. Corporate and private donors are also urged to help the cause. www.negoirrecords.com | www.firmcleo.net 11pm, $15 and accepted donations, clothing, food, etc.

        Tues, November 9
        MORGAN HERITAGE: Full Circle CD Release
        Morgan Heritage is more than just a legendary reggae band. They're a revolution, a family, a force of nature, and a crew of five independent artists on a musical mission. With "Full Circle," their seventh album for VP Records, Morgan Heritage connects with reggae's past while blazing an uncharted path into a musical future beyond categorization. "...the favorite reggae band of today's skater kids, eschewing trendiness for roots sounds and Rasta messages, and sealing the deal with achingly beautiful sibling harmonies second to none in Jamaican music." -All Music Guide. 7pm, $20

        Tues, November 9
        IHSAN / HESTON
        Manhattan born, Jersey bred, and Brooklyn steeped Ihsan rhymes, sings, chants, and rocks the crowd to the sway of her hips. Having performed and dominated the New York spoken - word and underground club scenes, Ihsan has spread her wings to write her self-titled debut album which features her signature hits "Black" and "Bones." On it, Ihsan combines the bluesy funk quality of Jill Scott with the expansive imagination of Erykah Badu, and reminds listeners what good music is all about. Don't miss this chance to let Ihsan teach you how to groove at Joe's Pub.
        World-soul artist, Heston, brings it back to NY after a crazy summer! From sharing the stage with Angie Stone and George Clinton at Atlanta's famed Midtown Music Festival to opening a performance with Van Hunt and Kanye West at the On-The-Bricks Festival in front of 35,000 people, Heston has been spreading the love and his music to the masses. Following the incredible response both nationally and internationally from his self-titled EP, Heston is completing production on his forthcoming album - due out in early 2005. Heston is excited to get back to the intimate setting at one of his favorite clubs - Joe's Pub. This event is proudly supported by Sista Factory www.sistafactory.com 9:30pm, $12

        Wed, November 10
        SALLY TIMMS / JOHNNY DOWD
        Sally Timms, best known for her involvement with the Mekons, continues to define alt-country in her newest recording In The World of Him (Touch and Go). The album, recorded with Johnny Dowd showcases songs written by men and sung from their perspective - featuring songs by Ryan Adams, Mark Eitzel, Kevin Coyne and more. "Timms blends rapture and disenchantment in a way that recalls those old cliches about why caged birds sing. Her voice, a secretive murmur refined by her native English accent, is the stuff of lullabies. But her knowing stance pulls back from that intimacy with a sweet sadness." -New York Times http://nytimes.com/2004/09/27/arts/music/27choi.html
        "There's intense and there's Johnny Dowd. He's Nick Cave with a hangover. Hank's lonesome whistle spat through Waits's grinder, with Beefheart on the side, coming on like a flu-ridden Texan undertaker singing broken folk laments for a dead dog he never cared much for anyway...his cracked larynx, jagged guitar and spooky organ possessed of something quite unnerving, eking out gothic tales laced with tar-black humour." -Time Out London 7pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Joe Hurley 9:30pm show

        Wed, November 10
        JOE HURLEY
        As the leader of longtime NYC favorites Rogue's March, Joe Hurley has released several critically acclaimed CDs, and performed with the likes of Marianne Faithfull, Amy Rigby, Sally Timms, Martha Wainwright,and Shane MacGowan. The combination of Hurley's heartfelt vocal quality and his flair for cinematic storytelling has been recognized and captured on record by producers such as Tony Visconti( Bowie), Rob Fraboni (Stones) and PJ Harvey. For this special night at Joe's Pub, Hurley will be backed by The Gents, a sublime cast of NYC allstars, including Tony Shanahan (Patti Smith), James Mastro (John Cale, Ian Hunter), Kenny Margolis (Cracker) and Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate) -- Joe and The Gents will be playing songs culled from his forthcoming CD an eclectic mix of stripped-down ballads, music-hall flavored sing-alongs, and flat-out stinging r&r...Expect very special guests. "Joe Hurley is one of New York's most entertaining frontmen - His distinctive vocals can be raucous as all get-out, and as sorrowful as a baritone can be" -Village Voice www.roguesmarch.com 9:30pm, $12/$20 for combination ticket with Sally Timms 7pm show

        Thurs, November 11
        VIENNA TENG w/ special guests Tammany Hall NYC (6:30pm) & Beth Wood (9pm)
        With her graceful melodies and evocative lyrics, Vienna -- "a love child of Chopin and Sarah McLachlan" (San Jose Mercury News) -- has garnered critical acclaim and a rapidly growing legion of fans throughout the world. Her first album "Waking Hour" took Vienna from anonymity to fame in a few short months, and her newest release "Warm Strangers" produced by David Henry (REM, Cowboy Junkies, Josh Rouse) and mixed by Roger Moutenot (Roseanne Cash, Guster, Joseph Arthur) promises to take her to the next level. "Sharp and poetic...smart and layered songcraft." -Washington Post www.viennateng.com
        Formed in Manhattan in 1997 by singer/songwriter Steve O'Reilly and guitarist/producer Matt Anthony and later joined by drummer Dave Femia and Bassist Rod Quevedo, Tammany Hall NYC hasn't stopped making great music. "At a time when more-calculating-than-thou Pop cynicism has taken over the radio, singer Steve O'Reilly's naked emotion hits like a shot of whiskey." -San Fransisco Bay Guardian www.tammanyhallnyc.com
        Having grown up in Lubbock, Texas, Beth Wood is classically trained in piano, violin, harp and voice. After spending two years studying voice and piano at Brevard College in North Carolina, Beth moved on to The University of Texas, where she picked up a degree in Literature and her first guitar. Teaching herself guitar, she joined a band and became part of the Austin music scene. After a few years of playing around Austin in her band, and then in a duo, Beth kissed her day-job goodbye and returned to the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina to pursue music full-time. The natural beauty of her surroundings provided inspiration while the supportive community helped Beth to become a stand-out in the Asheville songwriters' community. Now an established singer/songwriter, she occasionally resides in Arlington, Texas, while continuously touring to support her five independent releases. www.bethwoodmusic.com 6:30 & 9pm, $15

        Fri, November 12
        ISAAC MIZRAHI
        [see 11/5 for full info] 7:30pm, $20

        Fri, November 12
        ERIC ANDERSEN
        Eric Andersen's songs, voice, and guitar have created a career, spanning over 30 years, that includes 21 albums of original songs, and numerous tours of North America, Europe, and Japan. His songs have been recorded by artists all over the world, including Judy Collins, Fairport Convention, Peter Paul and Mary, Rick Nelson, Linda Ronstadt, The Grateful Dead, and Francoise Hardy. "Andersen is one of America's finest lyric-poet songwriters...he stands with his contemporaries Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell - as one of the few remaining pioneers of the 60's singer/songwriter movement continuing to do important work." -Aquarian Weekly 9:30pm, $20

        Sat, November 13
        ADAM PASCAL: Civilian CD Release
        7pm, SOLD OUT
        *2nd show added November 27!

        Sat, November 13
        PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER
        This evening will open with a composition by oud player, Basya Schechter, funded in part by NYSCA, and featuring a small Arabic orchestra, musically directed by Bassam Saba, virtuoso ney, oud and violin player in Simon Shaheen's ensemble. The rest of the program features Pharaoh's Daughter, who debuted this year at Summerstage, and who the Village Voice describes as "totally beautiful...stitching torah to indo to jazz to pop...balancing spirituality with cultural pluralism." 9:30pm, $12 in advance/$15 at the door

        Sun, November 14
        THE PEACE WITHIN CONCERT feat. Dorothy Scott, Sloan Wainwright, Julie Gold, Corky Siegel, and Jean Feraca
        The "Peace Within" project rocks Public Radio with four 4 powerful singer-songwriters. Dorothy Scott is a versatile singer/songwriter who delivers naked soul and honesty with an intoxicatingly passionate vibe, and has been compared to Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, and Jeff Buckley. Sloan Wainwright holds a beautiful musical style that melds the best of rock, folk, jazz and blues to a soulful hybrid. Julie Gold is best known as the writer of "From A Distance: (winning the Grammy for song of the year in 1990. Corky Siegel has earned an international reputation as one of the world's greatest blues harmonica masters. Special guest, Jean Feraca from Wisconsin Public Radio, will open the show with her award winning essay "Crossing the Great Divide" , which speaks of the power of radio to connect people across boundaries. The "Peace Within" concert series is a nation wide project which is designed to strengthen and support public and independent radio stations across the nation. 7pm, $20

        Sun, November 14
        KATIE ELEVITCH w/ special guest Jeff Brodnax
        Recently chosen as a Village Voice Choice by music editor Chuck Eddy and called a "positively riveting talent" by The Big Takeover, Katie Elevitch is a singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose songs and live band shows lure you into a sonic devotional journey across lush landscapes of groove heavy rock, soul, folk and jazz. Her debut album, Now Is The Destination, which will be released this December, was produced by Tony Maimone and was proclaimed "the kick-ass side of fuck yeah" by Obie-award winning playwright and Giant Step recording artist, Carl Hancock Rux. With Jonathan Maron (Groove Collective) bass, Tim Vaill, drums and Riley McMahon, guitar. www.KatieElevitch.com | www.NowIsTheDestination.com
        The former front man of world-renowned black rock band 24-7 Spyz and the funk-based band Egypt, Jeff Brodnax creates luscious, symphonic scale songs of love and loss using only the barest of necessities: his voice and guitar. Jeff currently soothes souls in the NYC subway tunnels. www.cdbaby.com/brodnax 9:30pm, $10

        Mon, November 15
        ROB CURTO'S FORRó PARTY BAND: Musica Do Nordeste w/ guests Scott Kettner (Maracatu NY) and Jorge Martins (Cascabulho)
        "Música do Nordeste" -- an evening of Brazilian music from special Northeast region. Featuring Rob Curto's energetic Forró Band and special guests Scott Kettner, members of his groups Maracatu NY and Nation Beat ensemble, and Jorge Martins of Cascabulho, from Recife, Brazil. This show will be a special collaboration combining elements of Forró, the accordion-driven dance music of the northeast of Brazil, with Maracatu and other rhythms from the state Pernambuco, home of Jorge Martins from the popular band Cascabulho. Maracatu, originally linked to the election of a "King of the Congo" by the African slaves in Brazil is a super-energetic, percussive and syncopated form of music, which remains popular in Brazil and, along with Forró is becoming recognized throughout the world. Don't miss this special performance. 7:30pm, $12

        Mon, November 15
        KCRW.COM Presents:
        PLASTILINA MOSH
        part of the Mexico Now Festival
        With comparisons to Beck, Air and Buffalo Daughter, Plastilina Mosh's breezy post-mod hip-pop music, mixing English and Spanish lyrics, perfectly reflects a kind of bordertown internationalism...in one word "sleazydiscofunkpunk-newwavehiphop". The Monterrey, Mexico duo - Juan José "Jonaz" González and Alejandro Rosso - come together in an unusual group with an uncommon name which comes from the sonic combination of two dissimilar words that exemplify the members' personalities: visceral opposites. Their breakthrough single "Niño Bomba" was the first rock-en-Español clip ever added to MTV's rotation. Over the years, they have worked with a who's who of the Latin and Anglo alternative worlds, from Café Tacuba to the Beta Band's producer Chris Allison, to Beastie Boys' Money Mark. After along break, P-Mosh's released their third album, "Hola Chicuelos", which again captures P-Mosh's freshness and sense of humor, with guest appearances by Asian massive percussionist Karsh Kale, Brazilian singer Pat C, amd Maurizio Terracina of Zurdok. "Boombastic beats, over-the-top rapping in Spanglish, and a fair share of salsa, funk, and lounge-jazz thrown in to boot...Beck can't rock the house as convincingly and fiercely as Plastilina Mosh...edgy but not humorless, keeping one foot on the dance floor and one in the mosh pit." -Pitchfork. www.plastilinamosh.com.mx
        This concert is presented in association with the Mexico Now, a citywide festival of contemporary Mexican arts and culture, which presents the work of over 100 Mexican filmmakers, architects, writers, dance, theater, music, and visual artists at 30 of New York City's leading arts venues in November 2004. Mexico Now is a project of Arts International, the nation's only nonprofit organization solely devoted to international arts exchange. More information available at www.mexiconowfestival.org. Flights provided courtesy of the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores de México. 9:30 & 11:30pm, $20

        Tues, November 16
        THE JUST FOR LAUGHS EXPERIENCE 2004 feat. Ted Alexandro, Bill Burr, Joey Elias and The Doo-Wops, hosted by Brent Butt
        Join us for a raucous evening of comedy featuring a line-up of stand-out stand-ups from Montreal's Just For Laughs, the world's largest and most prestigious comedy festival. Hosted by Brent Butt, star of the hit CTV sitcom Corner Gas, and featuring the talents of Bill Burr, from Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show", Ted Alexandro, NY comedy club circuit veteran whose numerous television appearances include "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "The Late Show with David Letterman", the unique blend of song and satire from rising Canadian comedy team The Doo Wops, and Montrealer Joey Elias, who lost a bet 12 years ago and was forced onto the comedy stage. Now, he has no less than seven appearances at the Just For Laughs Festival and appeard on the 2003 cross-Canada tour. He made a colossal splash during his outstanding performance at the 2002 Just For Laughs Gala. He has recently appeared on MTV's Road Rules. A truly "best of" evening that is not to be missed. www.hahaha.com 7pm, $15

        Tues, November 16
        HOT KARL: Before I Get Famous
        When hip-hop began its attack on mainstream culture in the mid-80's, it found itself in some pretty strange neighborhoods. It started to influence kids that the music was never intended for. Shows like Yo! MTV Raps and national tours from Run DMC brought rap music to uncharted territories never thought of during its birth in the hood. This is when the suburbs discovered rap music. And so did Hot Karl. As Karl continues his attempt to "make hip-hop fun," he never focuses on the morbid and fake world of guns, jewels and money that is the current trend in urban music. "I'm only going to speak about things I know," Karl explains. "My keeping it real is much different than most other MC's." Destined to be voice of the suburbs, Hot Karl attempts to introduce his upbringing and signature humor to the mainstream through rap. His forthcoming album on BBE/Headless Heroes features production and guest appearances from DJ Quik, Will.I.Am, 9th Wonder, Ayatollah, C-Minus, MC Serch, Jamey Staub, Reggie Watts and Mayru. 9:30pm, $10 advance/$12 at door

        Wed, November

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)