GlobalFest press release-final

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2003
      The Joe's Pub email blast and reminder about GlobeSonic's set at
      tomorrow night's benefit for Asian American Arts Alliance will come
      tomorrow, but I wanted to send a separate email about this very special
      event I have been involved in co-producing along with Isabel Soffer of
      World Music Institute and Maure Aronson of World Music/Crash Arts in
      Boston.

      Many of you have heard me talk about WOMEX, which has been in invaluable
      A&R tool for me as a curator, and a ton of fun as a music fan. After
      many years of WOMEX-envy among my North American presenter peers, we
      have created a single-day, WOMEX-style showcase scheduled to coincide
      with the annual Arts Presenters conference in NY in January. I am
      really excited about this collection of artists - some favorites old and
      new, many of whom are clear headliners on their own, others who will be
      introduced to NYC for the first time.

      Individual tickets will go on sale through Telecharge at the beginning
      of December. Journalists interested in the event should contact Cindy
      Byram or Dmitri Vietze, whose contacts are at the bottom of this email.

      Hope to see many of you at this event.

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      GlobalFEST: New World Music Festival to Host Sixteen Acts on January 10,
      2004

      Trio of U.S. Presenters Joins Forces to Break "Glass Ceiling" for World
      Music

      Luminaries Spanning Five Continents Set to Take NYC Audiences &
      Performing Arts Industry by Storm

      Since 9/11, dozens of articles have run in major newspapers about the
      difficulty of foreign artists gaining entry for concert tours in the
      U.S. A handful of key, grassroots activists in the world music field are
      now taking things into their own hands to break down barriers for
      artists touring the USA and Canada, and to raise the profile of world
      music within the touring market.

      The result is GlobalFEST; a one-night fĂȘte modeled after other popular
      music industry events that draw in players from the Performing Arts
      industry and the public at large. As parts of the Arts Presenters Annual
      Conference, GlobalFEST will present short performances of sixteen
      artists from Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and the Americas on
      three stages at The Public Theater including Joe's Pub over a six-hour
      period on Saturday, January 10, 2004. Performances will run from 8 p.m.
      to approximately 1:30 a.m., with a DJ party continuing until closing
      time at 4:00 a.m. All-night passes are available for $40 from
      Telecharge, 212-239-6200 beginning December 1. Organizers hope to
      simultaneously reveal extraordinary performers to new ears at the fan
      level, while exposing concert presenters from around North America to
      the artists for consideration over the next few years.

      Intended to be an annual event, GlobalFEST has struck an amazing balance
      in repertoire and performers, drawing on a broad definition of world
      music. From the classical sounds of Persian kamancheh (spike fiddle)
      player Kayhan Kalhor, to the hip-hop/rumba beats of Cuban singer Raul
      Paz and the electronic mixing of Brazil's DJ Dolores & Aparelhagem, to
      some of the world's finest vocalists, including Portuguese fado star
      Mariza and Anglo/Indian chanteuse Susheela Raman, audiences of all
      stripes are sure to find sounds suited to their tastes. Fans looking for
      roots music might take in the sweet sounds of Rajery's valiha
      (tube-zither) from Madagascar, Tania Libertad's provocative Peruvian
      landos and Mexican boleros, or the soulful Spanish flamenco vocals and
      guitar of Diego "El Cigalo" and Diego El Morao. Others may get uprooted
      and onto the dance floor with Brazilian global percussionist Cyro
      Baptista's Beat the Donkey or fall into a trance to Mercan Dede's
      Turkish Secret Tribe, with his special guest, the Tunisian diva Amina.
      If you want political songs, listen to the dulcet voice of South
      Africa's Vusi Mahlasela or the rhythms of Haiti's queen of song, Emeline
      Michel. For something that spans tradition and modern improvisation,
      take note of Greece's Savina Yannatou & Primavera en Salonico, France's
      Klezmer/Gypsy band Les Yeux Noirs, and Lebanese oud (plucked
      lute)-player Marcel Khalife. And if that is not enough, stay out all
      night with New York's own DJ collective, GlobeSonic.

      Not only have GlobalFEST organizers focused on high quality performers
      and diversity of origin as criteria for artist selection, they have also
      sought artists appropriate for a variety of performing contexts: concert
      halls, cabaret settings, dancehalls, and festivals. And to ensure a
      strong audience and an original feel, they selected both established and
      emerging artists. "We were looking for some artists who would be fresh
      and lesser known even to those actively presenting world music
      regularly," explains Bill Bragin, director of Joe's Pub at The Public
      Theater, and one of three key players behind GlobalFEST. "And then some
      artists who have played on the established 'world music' circuit, but
      who are primed to move to more 'general interest' presenters... ready to
      move from the five-to-ten-market tours to thirty or forty markets. Also,
      we needed people with a commitment to touring North America. We are not
      merely doing this to have an incredible world music festival. We want
      the performances to lead into touring over the next few years, and to
      help expand the visibility of world music in general throughout the U.S.
      and Canada."

      The other two initiators behind the GlobalFEST concept are Isabel
      Soffer, associate director of NYC's World Music Institute (WMI); and
      Maure Aronson, director of World Music, Inc., Boston, which has a
      similar mission to WMI. The ad hoc trio, who have been key in bringing
      world music performers to stages in America in recent years and are
      active in an emerging North American World Music Coalition, have created
      the event to be a part of the Association of Performing Arts Presenters
      (Arts Presenters) 47th Annual Members Conference, the most important
      booking event in North America. Arts Presenters is a national service
      and advocacy organization with more than 1,400 members worldwide
      dedicated to bringing artists and audiences together. Many of the
      organizers of America's performing arts centers and music festivals book
      much of their annual schedule as a result of showcases and contacts at
      Arts Presenters.

      The Cultural Services of the French Embassy to the U.S. are the
      principal sponsor of GlobalFEST. With the participation of the French
      Music Export Office in New York at least five of the featured artists at
      GlobalFEST will be affiliated with French music labels. "The French
      Embassy's Cultural Services have participated in the Arts Presenters
      conference, the largest North American meeting for performing arts
      professionals, for several years," said Emmanuel Morlet, the director of
      the music department of the French Embassy. "In 2004, for the first
      time, Arts Presenters will celebrate world music by dedicating its
      opening night and a number of panels to the artists and professionals
      from this sector. We are proud to participate fully in the support of
      this event, which carries a much-needed message of cultural diversity."
      GlobalFEST is additionally made possible by the support of the
      participating artists, and their record labels and booking agencies.

      Presenter tickets for Arts Presenters conference attendees are currently
      on-sale through the Arts Presenters; general public tickets will go on
      sale on December 1, 2003 through www.telecharge.com, 212.239.6200 or The
      Public Theater Box office. Artists and schedule are subject to change.
      For more information on GlobalFEST, visit
      www.rockpaperscissors.biz/go/GlobalFEST; on The Public Theater, visit
      www.publictheater.org; and on this year's Arts Presenters Conference,
      held at the Hilton NY and Towers, NYC, visit www.artspresenters.org.

      Media solicitation: Cindy Byram PR, CindyByram@...
      Media fulfillment: Dmitri Vietze, rock paper scissors,
      music@...

      ###