Lunasa at LCAtrium, globalFEST Returns to SXSW, back from TED and more!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2013
      As we move into March, the St. Patrick's Day touring period heats up, and I'm excited to present one of Ireland's finest trad bands, Lunasa, in 2 FREE shows at the David Rubenstein Atrium, this Thursday, March 7. Their website calls them "The Hottest Irish Acoustic Group on the Planet" and it's highly likely that you'll agree. Since there are no tix needed, just try to come early - food and drink are available.

      Lúnasa
      Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 7:30pm & 9:30pm
      Target Free Thursdays at David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center, Frieda and Roy Furman Stage
      Named for an ancient Celtic harvest festival in honor of the Irish god Lugh, patron of the arts, the all-star quintet Lúnasa is indeed a gathering of some of the top musical talents in Ireland. Their inventive arrangements and bass-driven grooves are steering Irish acoustic music into surprising new territory. Called an "Irish music dream team" (Folk Roots) and "the new Celtic royalty" (Boston Herald), Lúnasa made their worldwide recording debut in 1997, and met with instant acclaim. Lúnasa redefines Irish music by going right to the heart of its rhythms. With its distinctive use of the upright acoustic bass -- brought front and center by Hutchinson's remarkable playing -- teamed with Hennessey's percussive guitar, the group seeks out the essential heartbeat of a tune. Lúnasa also uses melodic interweaving of wind and string instruments, pairing flutes, fiddle, whistle and pipes in often breathtaking arrangements. The result is a sound that, though distinctly Irish in flavor, touches on jazz and other improvisational music forms.

      Also keep your eyes out for March 21's concert with the outstanding Syrian singer, Gaida (who you might recognize from Jonathan Demme's Rachel Getting Married), as well as several shows in collaboration with the citywide Season of Cambodia festival (Arn Chorn Pond, Master Mek, & the Waterek Ensemble), the amazing guitarist/singer-songwriter Raul Midon, and more.

      I'm just back from another incredible trip to TED, where I heard some mindblowing talks, and had stimulating talks with a lot of old and new friends. I was proud to see two globalFEST alums - Wang Li and Pedrito Martinez - on the main stage, and Pedrito played a hot dance set for the closing night party. Some of the many TED highlights were Amanda Palmer's appearances. (Follow the link to see a long quote from me about direct engagement between artist and audience.)

      Her TED Talk, "The Art of the Ask", was one of the first to go online, and has quickly struck a chord, with nearly 650,000 views in the first 4 days! She goes deep into the exchange economy, and how her career has been built on crowdsourcing (and crowdsurfing) and trusting her fans, setting the stage for her current success, including a record-setting Kickstarter campaign.

      Speaking of Kickstarter, while at TED, I was able to reconnect with TED Prize winning filmmaker Jehane Noujaim (Control Room, Startup.com), whose TED Wish, the global film festival Pangea Day helped pave the way for the global TEDx network of events.  Her latest film, "The Square" put her on the front lines of the Egyptian Revolution in Tahrir Square (including being personally arrested and imprisoned), capturing a democratic movement in real time.  It's already won the Sundance World Documentary Audience Award, but she now needs funds to finish it and get it out to the world more broadly.  She's got 3 days left in the Kickstarter campaign, and is close to the finish line, but I'd love to see my friends be the ones to push them over the top.

      Finally, as I go from one immersive conference to a very different one, we're thrilled for globalFEST to once again infiltrate SXSW with another line-up of boundary shattering global artists. Read below to learn more about our lineup showcasing hard-hitting bhangra funk dhol 'n brass from the streets of NYC (www.redbaraat.com), next generation desert blues from northern Mali (Terakaft), trance-inducing folk from Southern Italy (Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino), Afro-Colombian punk-funk from...Brussels! (La Chiva Gantiva) and electric Pow Wow and global bass music from Ottawa's indigenous underground (A Tribe Called Red.) Hope to see you in Austin.

      Having trouble viewing this email? globalfest.org
      globalFEST SXSW Line-Up Announced!

      globalFEST is returning to Austin to infiltrate the indie music hub of SXSW for a showcase of nomad desert blues, Southern Italian trance-inducing folk, beats from the Subcontinent via Brooklyn, Afro-Colombian funk by way of Brussels, and electric Pow Wow music from Ottawa's indigenous underground! We hope you'll join us!

      FRIDAY, MARCH 15 @ 8PM

      SPEAKEASY 412 N. CONGRESS AVE

      Explosive Afro-Colombian funk from Belgium

      9:15pm- Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino*

      Passionate and exuberant trance and dance from Italy

      10:30pm-Terakaft

      Mali's Tuareg rock band with pulsating heartbeats of the Sahara

      11:45pm- Red Baraat*

      Brooklyn's raucous dhol n' brass band blending bhangra and funk

      1:00am- A Tribe Called Red*

      Electric Pow Wow Club Beats from Native American DJ Crew

      *globalFEST alumni

      Upcoming shows from globalFEST Alumni

      Tue Mar 5th at 7:30pm
      Joe's Pub at the Public
      Renowned Inuit throat singer and gFest 2009 alum Tanya Tagaq tells her surrealistic journey into the unknown through her music which has been categorized as "fiercely contemporary, futuristic even" by The New York Times.
      More info

      Tue Mar 12th at 7pm
      Elebash Hall, 365 5th Ave @ 34th St
      Erdal Erzincan
      gF '13 alumni artist Erdal Erzincan (who
      performed with Kayhan Kalhor) makes his US solo debut performing Turkish Alevi folk and Sufi songs on the baglama (lute) and vocals. More info here!

      From our friends at BAM

      Mic Check: Hip-Hop from North Africa and the Middle East
      Sat March 9, 2013 at 7:30pm
      BAM Howard Gilman Opera House
      From the recent revolutions in North Africa and the Middle East, rappers have emerged as torchbearers of the movement's progressive energy and restless defiant spirit. This March, BAM brings together four of the region's most influential MCs-Amkoullel (Mali),
      Deeb (Egypt), El Général (Tunisia), Shadia Mansour (Palestine/UK)-
      for an evening of contemporary music born from radical social and
      political change. More info here.

      globalFEST is a volunteer run non-profit organization dedicated to fostering cultural exchange. In addition to its signature, groundbreaking 1-night, 3-stage, 12-band world music showcase/festival every January in NYC, globalFEST runs the gF Touring Fund which helps alumni artists to reach new audiences and curates stages at a variety of festivals and special events in the U.S. and internationally.

      gF is a year-round resource for curators, global music artists and fans, and the live music industry as a whole. It aims to create new opportunities for world music artists and to support diverse programming in the performing arts field and beyond.  For more info and to make a donation please visit globalfest.org
      Like us on Facebook    Follow us on Twitter