The Hot Sardines + Frim Fram DJs/ Polseye Project & Shofar @LCAtrium / Lost in the Trees offer

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2013
      Sending this a little later than I expected, but perhaps it will help some of you who are having a last minute panic about what to do tomorrow night for Valentine's Day.

      We have a fantastic night of swing dancing at the David Rubenstein Atrium with The Hot Sardines.  You may remember their break-through performance two summers ago at Midsummer Night Swing where they exploded from the underground as last minute replacements for a canceled band to become the new darlings of the swing community.  I also had the great pleasure of traveling with them to globalFEST's New York! day at Festival Ile de France outside Paris. They are fantastic musicians, charming performers, whether you are a dancer, or just someone who appreciates hot jazz with a New Orleans barrelhouse flair.

      To sweeten the pot, we are partnering with our friends at Yehoodi's Frim Fram Jam...they did a big online poll to find Yehoodi's favorite djs, and the winners: Voon Wai and Ryan Swift will not only be spinning at the Fram tomorrow, but they'll also do double duty and spin pre-show sets at the Atrium. Ryan Swift at 630 until The Hot Sardines 730 set, and Voon Wai spinning in between band sets. Come early!

      And if you want to keep dancing, we'll be giving out vouchers for discount $5 admission to the Frim Fram later that night: Club 412, 412 Eighth Avenue, Fourth Floor,Come early!

      The Hot Sardines
      with special guest Frim Fram DJs Voon Wai and Ryan Swift

      Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 7:30pm and 9:30pm
      Target Free Thursdays
      David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center, Frieda and Roy Furman Stage

      The Wall Street Journal calls the Hot Sardines' sound “high-energy traditional jazz with a Parisian accent.” The collective – founded by vocalist “Miz” Elizabeth Bougerol and pianist Evan “Bibs” Palazzo – makes music evoking wartime Paris via New Orleans, or the other way around: hot jazz, salty stride piano, and the kind of music Louis Armstrong and Fats Waller used to make: Straight-up, foot-stomping jazz. (Literally – the band includes a tap dancer whose feet count as two members of the rhythm section).

      Presented in collaboration with the Frim Fram / Yehoodi.

      The following week, on February 21, we have a very special double bill, direct from Poland.

      Olga Mieleszczuk’s Polesye Project

      Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 7:30pm

      http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/index.php/atrium-2013-polesye-project-and-shofar

      Singer, accordionist, musicologist and Warsaw-native Olga Mieleszczuk’s Polesye Project special focus is music of the Ashkenazi Jewish tradition of Eastern Europe, especially the border areas of Poland (Galitzia, Polesye). A classically-trained musician, who divides her time between Warsaw and Tel Aviv, she has studied and performed wide-ranging genres from Hassidic music, to Yiddish songs, to folk music from the Jewish, Slavic and Balkan traditions. Her recording, Jewish Folksongs From the Shtetl, drawn from works of Mariam Nirenberg, a Jewish singer from Polesye who emigrated to Canada in 1932, was released earlier this year.
      Polesye project:
      Olga Mieleszczuk - vocal,
      Lisa Gutkin - violin,
      Ittai Binnun - wind instruments,
      Uri Sharlin - accordion, piano

      Shofar Trio—guitarist Raphael Roginski, saxophonist and bass clarinet player Mikolaj Trzaska and drummer Macio Moretti (who performed at Target ® Free Thursdays for the 2012 Unsound Festival as half of LXMP)—formed in 2006, joins traditional Jewish music with contemporary avant-jazz and rock. The Poland-based band released its debut album album in 2007—works based on the first compendium of Hassidic melodies from the Ukraine, Poland and Moldova compiled by early 20th-century Soviet musicologist Moshe Beregovsky. Over the past five years, the group has performed throughout Europe. The concert will feature the trio’s innovative interpretations of nigunim, or religious songs (meant to induce a state of religious ecstasy), more dancelike freylakhs, and Jewish liturgical music.

      Presented in collaboration with the Polish Cultural Institute.
      Special thanks to the Unsound Festival.

      The Atrium has also begun a partnership with the Ford Foundation's JustFilms program for a new series called Atrium Flix featuring conversations with filmmakers followed by free screenings. Next Tuesday, February 19, the Ford Foundation's JustFilms director Orlando Bagwell will interview filmmakers Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing, followed by a screening of their acclaimed documentary Jesus Camp.

      And keep your eyes out for other upcoming FREE events in the Atrium including Face the Music (Feb 28), Lunasa (March 7 - 2 sets!), Gaida (MArch 21) and more. complete info at http://atrium.lincolncenter.org.

      Lastly, Lincoln Center's American Songbook series is in full swing, and I wanted to pass along a very special offer for discount tix to see Lost In the Trees, who topped so many critics best-of lists last year:

      Special Offer through Monday only: Save 40% on Lost in the Trees at Lincoln Center’s American Songbook

      From Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Lost in the Trees delivers a characteristic blend of orchestral, folk, and pop music. The band’s most recent album, A Church That Fits Our Needs, is a deeply personal tribute to Picker’s mother that reflects themes of loss and music’s healing power and was called “the year’s best” by the Wall Street Journal. There’s no better way to hear them than up close and personal at the gorgeous Allen Room.

      Thursday, February 28 at 8:30
      Use code WM40 and save 40%
      Phone: 212.721.6500

      Offer valid through February 18 at 11:59 pm. Discount included on $50 tickets only. Program, artists, dates, and prices subject to change. This offer is subject to availability and may be revoked at any time. All sales are final—no refunds or exchanges.

      That's it for the moment - hope to see you at the Atrium soon....