A Music-Filled New Year: Tanya Tagaq, The Relatives, Chilly Gonzales, globalFEST and more!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013

      Happy New Year, friends.

      I know many of you were happy to put 2012 behind us, and we’re all looking forward to a 2013 filled with peace, joy, understanding, health and happiness.  I’ll even settle for a little more civility sometimes…

      To start the year off right, we have some incredible shows coming up, timed to coincide with the annual Association of Performing Arts Presenters annual conference (APAP) including 4 free shows at the David Rubenstein Atrium, and a dozen artists on three stages at globalFEST.

      Tanya Tagaq: Nanook of the North

      Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 7:30pm

      Tanya Tagaq, who was a spellbinding highlight of globalFEST in 2009, performed at Lincoln Center Out of Doors, and has collaborated with Bjork (on Medulla), Mike Patton and Kronos Quartet, will present an excerpt from her score to the classic documentary Nanook of the North (the full NY premiere will be presented by the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian downtown on Sunday, March 2.)

      What do free improvisation, Inuit throat singing, and hair-raising passion have in common? Add descriptors like mesmerizing, intimate and ‘pushing the edge’ and you begin to understand the endlessly inventive quality of Tanya Tagaq’s sonic equation. Robert Flaherty’s classic documentary, Nanook of the North, the portrait of an Inuit family eking out their existence in the harsh Arctic wilderness, is perhaps the most famous film ever made about Indigenous people.  This original score excerpt will be followed by a trio performance.

      The Relatives

      Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:30pm

      A rare two-show night with two different bands, we’re thrilled to welcome back psychedelic gospel soul band The Relatives, who last performed at Lincoln Center Out of Doors opening for Mavis Staples.  They are just about to release a new album produced by Jim Eno of Spoon.  Funky, deeply soulful and righteous – you don’t want to miss this band – an inspirational way to kick off the year.

      Brought together in Dallas, TX by veteran Gospel singer Rev. Gean West in 1970, The Relatives’ sound bridges the gap between traditional Gospel, Soul and Psychedelia. In the early 1970’s, they recorded three obscure singles and a previously unreleased session—all of which are brought together on the 2009 album, Don’t Let Me Fall. The record has sold briskly, received favorable reviews and excellent radio play in the U.S. and abroad. As thousands of audience members can attest, The Relatives’ ability to capture the authentic sound of 70’s Psychedelic Soul and Funk live on-stage is second to none.

      Chilly Gonzales: Piano Concerto No.1

      Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:30pm & 9:30pm

      Superstorm Sandy got in the way of all-round entertainer, pianist, rapper, Guinness World Record holder, and musical genius Chilly Gonzales (producer of Feist, Peaches and that iPad song) U.S. premiere of Piano Concerto No. 1, a new musical work for a 10 piece orchestra commission piece by Lincoln Center.   But nothing gets in Gonzales’ way.  We’ve rescheduled his performances with two special Friday night sets.

      Chilly Gonzales is no ordinary musician. In the time it has taken him to create six albums, he has also broken a Guinness world record, been nominated for a Grammy and made his first feature film. But then again, what else can you expect from someone whose musical talents are so adept he can switch from working with German fidget house maestros Boys Noize to creating piano-driven pop hits? Gonzales is primarily a satirical rapper, pianist and producer whose passion for entertaining has resulted in him adopting various personas. These have ranged from the ‘Self-declared President of the Berlin Underground’ to the egotistical ‘Super Producer’. These also reflect major changes in his musical style, with his albums on the German Kitty-Yo label built around rap whilst his 2004 solo piano album put the emphasis on, would you believe it, piano!

      Speaking of globalFEST…we’re just 10 days away from the 10th anniversary edition, and it’s going to be a blow-out party!  Last year, we sold out 3 days in advance, and I got lots of desperate calls/emails. Don’t be that person.  I hate saying no to my friends, but we want to make sure that we don’t overcrowd the event, so if I have to, I will.  The best way to avoid getting shut out is to buy your tickets now thru Ticketmaster http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00004956D97DFB1A.  If you want to save the service charge, you can also pay cash at the Mercury Lounge on Houston Street.

      In the meantime, start planning your route through Webster Hall with the below schedule. Catch excerpts of all dozen sets?  Watch complete sets by a few key artists?  You decide.

      Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

      Happy New Year from globalFEST! 10 days to go!

      With only 10 days to go until our 10th anniversary we're bursting with excitement and new updates to share!

      ·  Tickets are going fast! If you haven't purchased yours get them here!

      ·  There will be gourmet veg and non-veg sandwiches ($8) and snacks available for sale so you need not worry about missing the music!

      ·  Special 10th anniversary edition t-shirts ($20) and hoodies ($35) will be on sale! Design shown above.

      ·  Doors open at 6 pm. Be sure to give yourself time to check your coats and get a feel for the stages. Shows start at 7pm sharp.

      APAP World Music Pre-Conference Events

      globalFEST coincides with the annual Association of Performing Arts Presenters Conference and this year you can join hundreds of world music professionals for two World Music Pre-Conference events on January 11th and 12th at the Hilton New York. This is open to everyone active in the world music field, you do not need to be registered with APAP to attend. More details here

      Will you consider making a donation to globalFEST, Inc?
      gF is a non-profit and groundbreaking international music festival dedicated to fostering cultural exchange through its touring fund, festival curating, and professional development for artists.
      Make a donation here.

      globalFEST on Spotify

      Listen to this year's artists on our Spotify Playlist!

      Stay connected with us!

      Webster Hall
      125 East 11th Street New York, NY 10003

      The Studio

      7:00-8:00 Stephane Wrembel (USA)

      8:20-9:20 La Santa Cecilia (USA)
      9:40-10:40 Martha Redbone Roots Project (USA)

      11-12am A Tribe Called Red (Canada)

      The Marlin Room

      7:00-7:50 Kayhan Kalhor and Erdal Erzincan (Iran/Turkey)

      8:10-9:00 Lo'Jo (France)

      9:20-10:10 Christine Salem (Réunion)

      10:30-11:20 La Shica (Spain)

      The Ballroom

      7:30-8:15 Oliver Mtukudzi and the Black Spirits (Zimbabwe)

      8:35-9:20 Fatoumata Diawara (Mali)

      9:40-10:25 Stooges Brass Band (USA)

      10:45-11:30 Mucca Pazza (USA)

      Listen to Fatoumata Diawara concert on WFMU

      Saturday, January 5th, 6pm - 9pm on Transpacific Sound Paradise with Rob Weisberg

      Get an advance taste of one of this year’s performers with this broadcast of Fatoumata Diawara’s triumphant New York Debut last

      Description: https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs153/1104105122786/img/98.jpgDescription: https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs153/1104105122786/img/104.jpgDescription: https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs153/1104105122786/img/105.jpgDescription: https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs153/1104105122786/img/106.jpg

      Four globalFEST artists featured in About.Com's12 Best World Music albums of 2012!

      Congratulations Lo'Jo, Fatoumata Diawara, Kayhan Kalhor, and globalFEST alum Debo Band for making up one quarter of the best world music releases in 2012! In the companion article on 2013 World Music Trends To Watch shout-outs went to Gypsy-jazz guitarist Stephane Wrembel, Global Bass/Native crew A Tribe Called Red and gF alumni Debo Band, Tanya Tagaq, and Watcha Clan!

      NPR / All Songs Considered’s Bob Boilen picks

      Debo Band at globalFEST as his #3 top show of 2012!

      And finally, wanted to pass along info about HERE and Beth Morrison Projects' new opera-theatre / music-theatre festival this January. A bunch of artist friends have work featured in this series - wanted to make sure you know about it.

      PROTOTYPE: Opera/Theatre/Now is an annual festival of visionary opera-theatre and music-theatre works by pioneering artists from New York and around the world. A new body of work is on the brink of exploding out of New York and onto the national scene, as an exciting new generation of composers and collaborators focus on the creation of chamber-sized theatre works in new and unique ways. PROTOTYPE is at the forefront of the movement, showcasing these works for new audiences and presenters alike.

      See you soon!